Music embarrassments

Kanye West's talent definitely doesn't lie in his publicity, singing voice, ability to perform or even his ability to rap, rather, Kanye is able to make albums with excellent levels of depth, wonderfully composed songs and well developed themes even though he lacks any sort of raw ability; he even said himself "I want to be the greatest, but it's difficult since I can't sing or dance." (Or something to that effect).

And as for La Roux, you need to think of La Roux more like Crystal Castles, or Frou Frou (as opposed to Alice Glass / Imogen Heap). La Roux is a duo, and though the vocalist may not be excellent, she has some good writing ability, and that producer is very adept at his work (the producer is the real star of La Roux). Pop music shouldn't be thought of in terms of pure vocal timbre or finesse...

And as for metalcore, I'll acknowledge that there are talented artists of ANY genre, but metalcore is just a genre which I don't think I'll ever appreciate, personally...

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I watched some movie the other day and at the end there was a u2 song and it had a terrible line in it that really pissed me off.

The completely unapologetic lack of effort does embarass me a little bit. u2 werent even that terrible a band, I mean, you know they are about ten times better than oasis at least, but they just arent even trying any more..

Ok the line was "twenty-four - not making sense/ I kept a diary, of my expery - ence" the shocking wordsetting here (to match the general awfulness of the lyric) it reminds me of like in the wizard of oz, the cowardly lion, who makes all sorts of ridiculous rhymes whenever he sings, like, "I could only show my prowess, be a lion not a mowess" or "though my tail would lash, I would show compash".

Completely destroys the (shallow and dull) emotional content. Too many people think music is supposed to be art, they forget that it is supposed to be craft as well.

Have a nice day.

Kanye West's talent definitely doesn't lie in his publicity, singing voice, ability to perform or even his ability to rap
this

rather, Kanye is able to make albums with excellent levels of depth, wonderfully composed songs and well developed themes even though he lacks any sort of raw ability
This, except it hasn't happened since Late Registration. Unless you consider depth to be yelling into a vocoder for 4 minutes of something asinine like that.

And as for metalcore, I'll acknowledge that there are talented artists of ANY genre, but metalcore is just a genre which I don't think I'll ever appreciate, personally...
completely understandable

edit:

No offense, but if you legitimately believe the new Kanye album is "bad" then you probably shouldn't be posting in music related threads.
lmao

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Best lyrics ever:

This is why I'm hot
This is why I'm hot
This is why, this is why, this is why I'm hot
I'm hot cuz I'm fly
You ain't cuz you not

EDIT: Am I the only person who doesn't really think U2 is that good? I mean, their music just doesn't stand out to me. It's pretty underwhelming in my opinion. But maybe I'm biased because I loathe Bono with a fiery passion, who knows...

yeah because there's no way someone can claim to like music and not appreciate the high art that is kanye west
High Art =/= Good Music

Just gonna leave this here before the naiviety in the topic explodes my face.

Lady Gaga's only talent is somehow convincing people that she is unique and innovative, whilst at the same time ripping off Prince,Queen,Elton John,Electronica, Marilyn Manson,Kiss, and a host of 80s and early 90s groups.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lady Gaga's only talent is somehow convincing people that she is unique and innovative, whilst at the same time ripping off Prince,Queen,Elton John,Electronica, Marilyn Manson,Kiss, and a host of 80s and early 90s groups.
Not that I don't believe you, but can you provide a few examples of things she's ripped off?

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
QFT. Remember when the Macarena and Who Let The Dogs Out were popular?
Sadly, I do. I'd thank you for reminding me about those two songs, but yeah.

Best lyrics ever:

This is why I'm hot
This is why I'm hot
I'm hot cuz I'm fly
You ain't cuz you not

EDIT: Am I the only person who doesn't really think U2 is that good? I mean, their music just doesn't stand out to me. It's pretty underwhelming in my opinion. But maybe I'm biased because I loathe Bono with a fiery passion, who knows...
THOSE LYRICS SUCK.

As far as U2: No, I don't either. I do enjoy a few of their songs on occasion, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them. For the most part, I switch to a different station if one of their songs is on.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well, when I say werent even terrible, that's actually what I meant.

I just really hate oasis.

Have a nice day.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just gonna leave this here before the naiviety in the topic explodes my face.
No offense, but if you legitimately believe the new Kanye album is "bad" then you probably shouldn't be posting in music related threads.
no offense but i think it already blew up in your face

Soulja Boy and Nicki Minaj, especially Nicki Minaj. I'm gonna have to agree with the first few posts, that anything people are being force-fed on the radio is going to be enjoyed by a good number of them.

However, I myself don't think Taylor Swift is that bad. She writes her own songs (mentioned before) and when it comes to live singing, she's not a Miley Cyrus either. I guess its just my respect for female singers today that aren't on drugs, writing exclusively about sex etc.

Really? Nicki Minaj is an embarrassment to you?

Well, maybe if you've only heard her singles. Those are pretty terrible. But when she makes songs like Roman's Revenge, that gives me a lot of hope.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fully agree with Katy Perry. As much as I would bone her for eternity she has an atrocious voice and should not be put near a microphone. Add that freak show Lil Jon to the list. Single-syllable words repeated over and over does not a good song make.

Yeah, U2 and Oasis have that irritating 'obscenely popular stadium band' thing that renders them devoid of any personality or intimacy with their fans, and a lot of their music comes across as hopelessly cheesy. If they were a little more modest and a little less gigantic I think they would be bearable. Yes, I fall hopelessly victim to the shallow idea that less popular music is intrinsically more appealing... It's weird though since bands like The Kings Of Leon irritate me with their popularity and yet bands like the Strokes don't. I guess it's because they're just... better.

It always confuses me when people criticize Lady GaGa for lacking 'absolute originality'. Not once has she ever actually claimed to be unlike any of her pop-legend predecessors. Lady GaGa is unique in ways; she's unique in the sense that she's on her way to Michael Jackson-esque stardom in a fraction of the time, and she's unique that she is a [non-R&B] pop star of her calibre in this musical climate, when her closest rivals are named Katy Perry and Ke$ha. But she does obviously has been influenced by Bowie, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury and such. But face it, is this really a bad list? Would you rather her idol be Britney or Freddie? As far as modern pop music goes, she's doing a fantastic job (and she's only released like 25 official songs so far...), and the idea that this should be discredited because she's not 'completely original' is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

Not that I don't believe you, but can you provide a few examples of things she's ripped off?
I support this.

It's almost impossible to be original today, because no matter what you do people will always compare you to somebody else you were never actually trying to emulate. There's a fine line between actually 'ripping off' and 'being similar to'.

However, if you can show proof then it's cool.

As someone who listened to The Beginning out of professional obligation, fucking The Black Eyed Peas.

Also, "Macarena" is the worst song in the history of the entire world.

I don't want to spam this topic with a ton of images, so if your that interested google it something but here are just two examples.

This is Róisín Murphy an irish solo artist, who used to be the lead of a fairly big pop group called Moloko over here in the UK.

I've never been a fan of Kanye West, always thought he was meh. To continue

- Every single artist on the Young Money Label
- Lil Jon
- Plies
- 50 Cent

Although I love<3 Raekwon, that whole bs sellout collaboration with Justin Bieber and Kanye West was very embarrassing and heartbreaking. I expect that bs from Kanye, but never expected it from Raekwon the Chef.

Yeah, my point was that it doesn't matter that Lady GaGa is visually similar to other models, actresses or performers, my point was that true originality is almost impossible to achieve in this day and age, and that it's her unique status in the pop landscape that makes her notable. Those images therefore don't really mean that she's less credible...

Yeah, my point was that it doesn't matter that Lady GaGa is visually similar to other models, actresses or performers, my point was that true originality is almost impossible to achieve in this day and age, and that it's her unique status in the pop landscape that makes her notable. Those images therefore don't really mean that she's less credible...
What's so unique and original about ripping off David Bowie and Madonna when it comes to image? Selling based off of image has been happening for many years.

But she's not 'ripping them off', they were just the stars she listened to growing up; stars who share her tastes and ideas. The influences of Madonna and Bowie are evident in Gaga's work, but it's not like she's trying to emulate their careers. It's called an INFLUENCE, and it's ridiculous to suggest that having influences is unrealistic or wrong. You can't really suggest that Gaga is identical to any of these performers, either. Bowie made glam-rock, not electro-pop and Madonna has a fraction of Gaga's vocal ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)