My 1st UU Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
There we are: this is my 1st ever UU Team. I've already done couple battles and couple changes, and I think it's pretty good the way it is now... But I still think it could improve, so let's face the final judgment ;)

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Relic Song
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

I usually use Meloetta when I have to deal with Fighting, Water or Flying pokemon. With a little risk, it can be useful even against Bug and Dark types, since I can switch to her Pirouette Form with Relic Song, making those two types "not very effective". She's also a decent SpD stat, and I love her Normal type, which make Ghost-type moves useless against Meloetta! Expert Belt is good, since with Psychic, Thunderbolt and Focus Blast Meloetta is supereffective against lots of different types.

Chandelure @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting

Now, here I have a problem: the item. I gave her Wise Glasses, but they're nothing really special, and I mean... My precious Chandelure deserves more! She's a beast, with an huge amount of SpA, two strong stabbed moves and two useful moves against advantaged types (Energy Ball for Water, Ground and Rock; HPF for Dark). She's slow, of course, so I wonder about a Choice Scarf, but the question is: being stucked on one move only will cut down Chandelure usefulness or not? Also I was thinking about a Fighting-Gem, to let HPF ohko surely any Dark-types.

Rhyperior @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Rhyperior is obviously my physical attacker. I decided to increase his speed at max, and then use alsothe Scarf, in order to let him outspeed some dangerous enemies (like Machamp, for example). I could change his item, and max his HP, we'll see: my main problem is Outrage. I seriously don't know what other move I can put on him, but I'm not happy with Outrage for sure: it was meant to be useful against Dragon types, but I use it rarely, so I think I should change it for...? That's the doubt.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Curse
- Toxic
- Counter
- Protect

I love Registeel: in the beginning I wasn't so enthusiastic, but once I've learned to know about it... It basically tanks anything, but it's also capable of killing opponents: I can both use the Toxic/Protect/Leftovers combo or the Curse/Counter one (first I slow Registeel down, so then it can Counter the other pokemon to death). I honestly think it's my best pokemon in the team, I don't see any problems with it.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Main problem with Virizion is that its ability sucks, but I can't do anything about it. Another thing is that it can be easily OHKOed, but I like its types combination, and also the fact it can have such a various movepool (two stabbed move, but also Rock - useful against Flying and Fire - and Bug - useful against Psychic). Life Orb is an easy and efficient choice. My guess with Virizion is: should I use someone else?

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Fake Out
- Aerial Ace
- U-Turn
- Return

Here it is Ambipom: as you can see his Evs Spread is similar to Virizion's (another thing that makes me think I should definitely find another Fight-type). I like Ambipom speed and attack, and most of all I really like his movepool: both the stabbed move are awesome, and Aerial Ace comvined with technician is good for Fighting-types (even if it's true that even a Return could OHKO them in some cases). U-Turn is always good, we all know this, so. Main issue is about the item: should I go with a more powerful but also "suicidal" Life Orb? Or Silk Scarf may be just good for him?

With the exception of registeel (who IMO isnt that great of a wall), It looks like you have the ingredients of a decent hyper-offense team. You're only missing a few certain key elements: entry hazards, solid item choices, and maybe better mon choices (or maybe just focusing on what role each mon is designed to fill). EG. once you switch Meloetta to Pform, its SpAtk BST drops to a measly 77, and you only have special attack options. an easy fix would be to ditch Focus blast for Close Combat, or ditch Pform altogether and put shadow ball over relic song. Another easy fix would be to change your Rhyperior. Even at max speed with a scraf, hes not outspeeding anything relevant anytime soon, and he can easily become a great lead/tank/hazard setter. Here's an example of what he could become:
Rhyperior@ lefties
Solid Rock
Adamant
248Hp/16Attk/244SpDef
-Stealth Rock
-Dragon Tail
-Rock Blast
-Earthquake
He sets hazards, is a relatively Bulky mon on either side, hits massively hard with EQ and Rock Blast, the latter of which breaks sashes and subs, AND phazes with Dragon tail...what more could you ask for?
The main point is that you should really evaluate each mon and their ultimate potential:) I can tell you now that many posters are going to tell you to abandon Ambipom and Registeel altogether.....

With the exception of registeel (who IMO isnt that great of a wall), It looks like you have the ingredients of a decent hyper-offense team. You're only missing a few certain key elements: entry hazards, solid item choices, and maybe better mon choices (or maybe just focusing on what role each mon is designed to fill). EG. once you switch Meloetta to Pform, its SpAtk BST drops to a measly 77, and you only have special attack options. an easy fix would be to ditch Focus blast for Close Combat, or ditch Pform altogether and put shadow ball over relic song. Another easy fix would be to change your Rhyperior. Even at max speed with a scraf, hes not outspeeding anything relevant anytime soon, and he can easily become a great lead/tank/hazard setter. Here's an example of what he could become:
Rhyperior@ lefties
Solid Rock
Adamant
248Hp/16Attk/244SpDef
-Stealth Rock
-Dragon Tail
-Rock Blast
-Earthquake
He sets hazards, is a relatively Bulky mon on either side, hits massively hard with EQ and Rock Blast, the latter of which breaks sashes and subs, AND phazes with Dragon tail...what more could you ask for?
The main point is that you should really evaluate each mon and their ultimate potential:) I can tell you now that many posters are going to tell you to abandon Ambipom and Registeel altogether.....
I didn't know about Meloetta SpA drop, thanks for the info! ;)

I like also your Rhyperior set, but I'm not a fan of Dragon Tail, since it's too random.

By the way I don't think I'm going to change Ambipom or Regi. Let me ask you: which Walls are better than Regi in this tier, in your opionion? :)

Well, it really depends on if you want a special or physical wall, but I can list some of each:
Special: umbreon, snorlax, cresselia, zapdos, togekiss.

Physical: cofagrigus, rhyperior, sableye, gligar.

Hope it helps:)

Some Scarfed Pokémons like Heracross can easily sweep your team once a certain Pokémon is lost(Chandelure in Heracross' case). Sure, you can spam Fake Outs, but it is too weak to revenge kill and they can just switch out(this is esp. true because Fake Out is predictable). In fact, Ampibom is just really weak so let's just change it to what is arguably the best physical Scarfer the tier:

Mineshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator / Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

Having a Scarf Mienshao solves the chronic issues of your team and give you a REAL revenge killer. The ability depends on preference, Reckless allows Mienshao to literally smash skulls and is usually the more consistent option. While Regenerator is a more conservative ability and gives Mienshao more switch-in opprotunities.

You're right, Chandelure really deserves more than that, your set uses coverage moves but it's usually unneeded anyway. Chandelure is a Pokémon known to deal ungodly amounts of damage and this set I will show you tells why.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split

This is it, only two(yes, two) are safe from this set while the rest is cleanly 2HKO'd or even outright OHKO'd due to it's sheer power which rivals even the Über-strong Rayquaza. Flame Body is used to get past Poygon2. The two safe Pokémons are Snorlax and Houndoom, both of which is easily handled by Rhyperior and the Fighting types.

Virizion: Adamant ---> Jolly
Don't waste Virizion's speed.

X-Scissor ---> Swords Dance
Virizion is too weak without a boost and X-Scissor is not needed as Leaf Blade, Close Combat, and Stone Edge already hits those Psychic and Grass types hard, only use X-Scissor when you want Virizion to defeat Exeggutor.

I also suggest changing Registeel to something like Slowking, but I'll just leave it to you and the others.

I can tell you now that many posters are going to tell you to abandon Ambipom and Registeel altogether.....
LMAO, so true.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU! You'll find this is where the cool kids are :-) On that note, I do have a few nitpicks on the team...

1. As for Meloetta, while Relic Song is really cool, especially with that Serene Grace boosted chance to sleep, it is however kind of wasted on the set you used. I would highly recommend trying out the mixed attacking variant with Thunderbolt/Psychic/Close Combat/Work Up with E-Belt. Kokoloko (?) came up with the set awhile back. I think the EVs were 56 Attack/ 252 Sp Attack/ 200 Speed. Work Up boosts both attack and special attack. A +1 CC can hit Snorlax and Umbreon much harder (clean 2HKO I believe on most variants), while Thunderbolt obliterates bulky waters like Slowbro and Suicune. Psychic is a good ol' fashioned STAB move of choice to smack around other pokes.
2. For Chandy, why don't you try TrickSpecs over the set you have. You are running max sp attack investment. Drop HP Fighting and use trick to cripple the numerous walls that try to switch in on you; Snorlax (beware of pursuit/crunch while switching out), Umbreon, etc.. Change your EVs to 252 Sp Attack/4 Sp Def/ 252 Speed. You'll lose to every other chandy without running 252 Speed.
3. While it seems smart to have a scarf on such a slow poke (no pun intended :-P ), Rhyperior is just too slow to efficiently use a scarf. However, he does have a much better move that he can use; Rock Polish. It doubles the speed, as opposed to boosting it 50% with scarf, plus gives you the freedom to switch moves. I recommend the following set:
Rhyperior@ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Solid Rock
252 Attack/ 4 Sp Def/ 252 Speed
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Megahorn/Swords Dance
-Rock Polish

Stone Edge and Earthquake will give you the best coverage around hitting almost everything hard, bar Bronzong, which Megahorn hits neutrally. I slashed in SD over Megahorn so that Rhyperior can double as a wall breaker as well as a semi-fast revenge killer.

Up until this point, you have a sweeper/revenge killer in Rhyperior and 2 wall breakers in Chandy and Meloetta. The last 3 pokes I would recommend reconsidering (especially in the case of Registeel and Ampibom). I don't like to suggest too many changes since it would change the team a bit.

4. For Regi, I would recommend just getting rid of him. He tanks hits and that's about it to be honest. Rhyperior can tank hits just as well with Solid Rock and hit back very, very hard. I would recommend some hazards to help your team clean up. You can try Dual Hazards Smeargle support with Spore. Offensive Roserade with Spikes support is good.

5. For Virizion, I'm going to suggest something different. Virizion is a fantastic wall breaker, so it instills a lot of fear into the UU meta (in my opinion at least). So, use the switches that Virizion will force to support your team. I recommend Dual Screen Virizion with Reflect/Light Screen/Giga Drain (Close Combat/Leaf Blade) and Taunt. You will find that dual screens will let your strong pokes boost easily thanks to the typing/abilities of the first 3 pokes. So, the set I recommend is:
Virizion@ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Speed
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Giga Drain/Leaf Blade/Close Combat
-Taunt

6. Ampibom is well Ambipom. I don't really like it. I can recommend a different poke that functions in a similar role; Cincinno. You can run scarf with Max Attack/Skill Link with U-Turn/Bullet Seed/Rock Blast/Tail Slap. It's a great pivot that can hit harder thanks to skill link turning it's multi-hit moves into 125 base attacks which can obliterate Zapdos, Crobat, Rhyperior, Swampert, Mienshao, Heracross (with some previous damage since it is pretty bulky), Chandy, etc..

Your team just screams Hyper Offense as somebody else said before. I hope you like UU and welcome! If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask! :-)

Ok guys, thank you all for the comments and the advices: I've really appreciated all of them! :D

Meanwhile, I've done another UU team: in a minute I'll post the new thread, and right about now I'll lock this one! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)