My CAP bros - a CAP RMT

Well, this got me here.

That's a thing.

When I decided to start playing CAP I noticed that a good amount of Mons benefited from the rain, so I threw Politoed in with Tomohawk, Mollux, and Cyclohm. I was a part of the Necturna play test, and knew how to use her, and since that fire weakness was pretty much gone in rain I decided to use her too. After a few battles I decided that Having 5 special attackers wasn't that big of a deal, and added Stratagem to the team.

Let's get into it, shall we?

Poliwrath? (Politoed) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

When I was first making my team, I knew I needed a Politoed. I had little to know knowledge of the CAP metagame, besides every Poke there being really good, so I decided on a specs variant of Politoed. Politoed will be outspeeding little to nothing in CAP, so I put 252 into HP instead of speed. I don't know of a CAP damage calc, but he's survived some pretty tough stuff with this spread, and still hits like a ton of bricks. Hydro Pump OHKOs a good chunk of CAP, and does a respectable amount to everything that's not Krillowatt or Arghonaut.

Landorus? (Tomohawk) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power

This is a great surprise set. Intimidate is great for Necturnas that are trying to set up, Colossoils in general, and great for Kitsunohs spamming Shadowstrike. Earth Power is for Kitsunoh and Krillowatt, while Aura Sphere is for Stratagem, and Rapid Spin is just kinda there. I mainly just blindly fire off Hurricanes until the other person has the sense to stop foddering stuff that doesn't resist Hurricane.I'm also fairly sure that this outspeeds standard Tail glow Syclants, which is great when I've broken their sash.

Looked it up after I wrote this. 442 speed. Outspeeds everything in CAP that's not scarfed.

Zekrom? (Cyclohm) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 Spd / 72 HP / 24 SDef / 160 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell
- Slack Off

If you don't use bulky utility Cyclohm you're gonna have a bad time. But in all seriousness, it's great to know that I have heal bell whenever Politoed is Toxic'd, Tomohawk is para'd, and Necturna is burnt (I've actualy had that happen). While most of the time I just see enemy Cyclohms firing off Draco Meteors all willy nilly, I prefer the more defensive set. I'm considering changing to Timid just so I can outspeed said spammy Cyclohms and do a good chunk to them. (Threat list will follow the team)

Toxicroak? (Mollux) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Acid Spray
- Heat Wave
- Thunder
- Recover

Standard Mollux, more or less. Acid Spray is pretty much the only Posion move worth using; people really underestimate how severe -2 is, not sure why. Recover is there whenever you know the enemy isn't carrying EQ or Earth Power. Shield dust on Cyclohm gets infuriating, and Mollux gets absoutely dunked on by Syclant, Stratagem, and Krillowatt. Not much can be done about that, though.

Uhh...? (Necturna) @ Choice Band
Trait: Forewarn
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Sneak
- Stone Edge
- Bolt Strike

This Necturna is the late-game sweeper type. Once everything has some damage on it, bring her out and prepare to steam roll the other player.
I prefer CB + 4 attacks over Shell Smash/Quiver Dance just due to the fact that unless you're facing a really terrible player, you're not going to get a chance to set up. I feel like I haven't used Bolt Strike in forever, and am considering replacing it for something like Bullet Punch. Shadow sneak is nice, but doesn't hit a major threat as hard as I need it to sometimes.

Regirock? (Stratagem) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Energy Ball
- Paleo Wave
- Stealth Rock

I originally had a bulk up Voodoom in this spot, but Syclant was so much of a problem I just got the fastest CAP Poke that exists and stuck it on my team, and what do you know?! It counters Syclant quite nicely. I'm running levitate over Technician since my team would be pretty weak to Ground without it.

Threat list up in hurr:
  • Focus Sash Syclant
Depending on whose out, at least. If it's something like Tomohawk who will outspeed them the next turn, it's no big deal. I just recently learned that Mountaineer functions differently than how I originally thought, so this threat is probably going to be a non-issue soon. +3 is still terrifying if something like Politoed is out at the time and Stratagem and Tomohawk are down. It's even worse when Hydro Pump misses and doesn't bring it down to it's sash.

• Draco spamming Cyclohm (Specs?)
Sure, I can revenge kill it easily, but any player that has half a brain will switch out after either OHKOing, or damn near OHKOing me. Prankster subTomo and Kitsunoh have no problem with that, but neither of them are on this team. Politoed and Necturna can live a Draco, but Toed can't live a Thunder. It will take 2 Earth Powers from either of my users to KO them, which is incredibly annoying, especially since they tend to come in while I'm locked into Hurricane. In general, sacrificing whatever is currently out is the best solution.

• Kitsunoh
I put Earth Power on everything to help deal with it. Intimidate + Outspeeding it on Tomohawk makes it a minor threat.

• Krillowatt
Haven't come across very many of them, but an Energy Ball or Earth Power from Stratagem quickly shuts it down. Necturna will survive an Ice Beam and either OHKO or come really close with a Horn Leech. Gotta love that base 151 HP.

• Shell Smash Necturna (White Herb)
Mainly cause Shadow Sneak can't OHKO if they have an Herb. Intimidate quickly takes away from it's OHKOing power after severely damaging it with Shadow Sneak from Necturna. Quiver Dance is a non-threat since Necturna will be able to live a +1 Shadow Ball and proceed to 2HKO easily.

• Latios
CB Shadow Sneak really cripples it. Just about anything will be able to take it out afterwards. (Necturna is a Kamakazi bomber)

• Fidgit
Sure, I have nothing to OHKO it (minus Politoed), but this can't do anything to my team, save Mollux.

• Arghonaut
Annoying to Politoed, can't do jack to anyone but Tomohawk who outspeeds and either OHKO's or comes close. Intimidate is an amazing thing.

• Blissey
Obnoxious to most of my team, Necturna terrifys this thing.

• Ferrothorn
Spam Heat Wave. Dry Skin also negates Leech Seed damage, which is nice.

• Colossoil
Why do people lead with this when they know I'll lead with a Politoed?

• Pyroak
Annoying to Politoed, but Mollux and Tomohawk shut it down.

That's all I could really think of. I've got something to deal with a good chunk of OU, and most of CAP but in general you see teams with 4-6 CAPs, which is why I only mentioned the major CAP threats. Specs Politoed OHKOs to 2HKOs most of OU anyway.

How'd you like my first RMT?

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm still looking over and testing out your team, but I would advise Sacred Fire over Bolt Strike on Necturna, for two reasons. One, Sacred Fire keeps almost all steels from walling her. Two, 50% burn chance is really good. Sure, it has the issue of rain nerfing it, but removing the possibly of Scizor/Ferrothron walling you as well has having a nice screw you to physical swapins with a 50% burn chance is huge, even if it is non stab and cut by the rain.

I'm still looking over and testing out your team, but I would advise Sacred Fire over Bolt Strike on Necturna, for two reasons. One, Sacred Fire keeps almost all steels from walling her. Two, 50% burn chance is really good. Sure, it has the issue of rain nerfing it, but removing the possibly of Scizor/Ferrothron walling you as well has having a nice screw you to physical swapins with a 50% burn chance is huge, even if it is non stab and cut by the rain.
Hmm. That's a good idea. I guess I never considered it cause I didn't have much luck with V-Create during the Necturna playtest.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are you getting out of the extra 5 BP on Heat Wave that you wouldn't with the more accurate Flamethrower or the more powerful Fire Blast?

To the best of my knowledge many damage calcs have the ability to edit base stats and typing (such as Honko's) so if you'd like to try that for your damage calcs, there it is.

I *highly* suggest not using Heat Wave on anything that has access to Flamethrower. There is not one set on Smogon that would advise a 5 BAP increase with a 10 Acc decrease, it's a pretty bad trade-off.

To the best of my knowledge many damage calcs have the ability to edit base stats and typing (such as Honko's) so if you'd like to try that for your damage calcs, there it is.
Alright, awesome thanks.
I *highly* suggest not using Heat Wave on anything that has access to Flamethrower. There is not one set on Smogon that would advise a 5 BAP increase with a 10 Acc decrease, it's a pretty bad trade-off.
Already swapped them out.

Edit: So, today I found out the hard way that my Stratagem is outsped by Max speed timid Syclant. Changed it to timid immediately afterwards. Didn't matter much since Tomohawk still outspeeds it.

I'd use giga drain over energy ball on stratagem for recovery and only 75 vs 80 base power.
As a surprise set that tomohawk is interesting, it seems to be a tornadus-t to me but with u turn over rapid spin. I guess rapid spin could be a useful suprise, but tomo locked in to spin can be set up on.
Bulky cyclohm is great, I have seen its bulk but never realized it has heal bell. That and acid spray mollux are 2 great sets. But why does it still say heat wave on mollux? You said you swapped it out but i can still see it...
I agree with sacred fire.
If you want a novelty necturna you could try using soak, I've never tried it but it sounds fun xD
in your 1st sentence about toed it says little to know knowledge, it should be little to no knowledge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)