1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My Final Gen 4 Team

Discussion in 'Past Gen Teams' started by GatoDelFuego, Dec 31, 2011.

1. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego This is what is technically known as a Firecat
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Hello, Smogon, this is GatoDelFuego here. I've been lurking around the site for quite a while, posted for a bit back in suspect round 4 (or 5?), but never really did anything else. This is a team I made in the twilight days of DPP, and after that switched over to BW. I wanted to know what you guys think of the team, keep in mind that it is a bit old. It was the best I ever did in Generation 4, and I hope that you guys have as much fun reading about it as I did using it. Enjoy!

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    The very first thing I wanted to use was an Anti-Lead Gallade. It has the needed tools to beat Azelf, Machamp, Aerodactyl, Dragonite...basically anything. When I found this set on smogon, I felt like I discovered a pot of gold. The thing works so well, it deserves more usage.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Next, I needed hazards. I wanted to make my team offensively based, but my style of playing is to always have a defensive poke on my team to sponge hits. I came to the conclusion that Bronzong would be the best for the job, able to beat Scarfed Flygon as well as common set-uppers like Metagross and Jirachi

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Then I added my offense. This is a fantastic trio of Pokemon, suggested to me by my friend Moo. I love to use Magnezone, and Gengar has always been my favorite spinblocker. None of that Rotom-A crap in this team! To beat the special walls and just about everything else, CB Tyranitar comes into play. If you can make the correct prediction, Tyranitar can demolish just about any physical wall as well, and all while maintaining fantastic bulk.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My final Pokemon to be added was Jolteon. I wanted a fast, semi-powerful revenge killer, and Jolteon seemed to work just fine.

After a few matches, it was clear that Jolteon would not work. It was outsped by far too many things, and I kept having a huge weakness to scarfed pokes. I decided to use a very unorthodox Starmie set, the choice scarf. It, surprisingly, worked perfectly.

FINAL TEAM

IN DEPTH-LOOK

Lead: 300
    [​IMG]
    Gallade @ Life Orb
    Jolly:
    252atk/252spd/4hp:
    Close Combat
    Zen Headbutt
    Shadow Sneak
    Ice Punch

As said before, this Gallade is very strange, but works absolutely perfectly. It is capable of beating most every common lead. It generally goes down very quickly, but this is often not a problem for the team. In the event that it is still around, I can use its massive Attack stat with STAB Close Combat to rip through opposing Pokemon.

Wall-ish: Riot Shield
    [​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Sassy:
    252hp/84atk/80def/92sp.def:
    Gyro Ball
    Stealth Rock
    Hidden Power Ice
    Earthquake

Bronzong is most used in my team as a defensive pivot. I can come in on an earthquake directed at Magnezone or Tyranitar and easily set up Stealth Rock. The EV's provide enough power to take out Dragonite in one or two hits of HP Ice, and Gyro Ball often manages to do a fair amount of damage to anything frail or that doesn't resist it.

The Main Attraction: Reptar, Danny and AU 313
    [​IMG]
    This is such an effective core. Almost nothing is completely safe from the 3 attackers, and that what isn't KO'd is left bleeding and broken

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Adamant:
    160hp/252atk/96spd:
    Pursuit
    Crunch
    Stone Edge
    Aqua Tail

CB Tyranitar is a monster of a Pokemon. Many times it can come in on a resisted attack, take it like a boss, and Pursuit as the Poke tries to flee in vain. If Pursuit is not the desired move, almost nothing will enjoy taking a STAB Crunch or Stone Edge off 604 Attack. It's bulky, too. With a Sp. Def boost from sandstorm, Heatran is easily managed, as well as other Magnezones and Vaporeon. Once, I saw it take a +1 Waterfall from an offensive Gyarados. A GYARADOS.

Gengar
    @ Life Orb
    Timid:
    252sp.atk/252spd/4sp.def:
    Substitute
    Pain Split
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    For a long time, Gengar has always been my favorite spinblocker. It's not as expected to be used to block the spinning, as most players see it as an offensive Pokemon. This is absolutely true, however. Gengar has the speed and Special Attack to punch great holes through the opposing team, and then able to fill up its HP for free when a Blissey comes in unawares. Sandstorm helps contribute to the HP lost every turn, as well as Life Orb.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Timid:
    40hp/252sp.atk/220spd:
    Substitute
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power Fire
    Thunder Wave

I do love to use Magnezone on any team. I can just imagine the look on player's faces when they revenge kill my Gallade with a Scizor's Bullet Punch, then only to have their sweeper removed by Magnezone's Hidden Power Fire. Skarmory and Forretress are also removed, often before they can set up too many hazards. Substitute is a huge blessing to Magnezone, because often it can set up for free on a steel, then allowed to get a free hit off on an opponent as they break the Substitute. Thunder Wave also allows other Pokemon to sweep very easily. Some players nowadays haven't seen the full effect of Magnezone due to team preview, and so lack the Holy-Shit-A-Magnezone-My-Steel-Type-Is-Dead feeling.

Speaking of hazards, I enjoy to make my team so that it is largely unaffected by Toxic Spikes. In this case, Tyranitar is the only thing that is affected at all, which often does not bother it, seeing as it can usually take out 1-2 pokes anyway.

Revenge Killer: Patrick
    [​IMG]
    Starmie @ Choice Scarf
    Timid:
    252sp. atk/252spd/4hp:
    Hydro Pump
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Trick

A very, very unseen set, but a very, very, VERY effective one. The opponents will never see this coming. Scarf + base 115 speed allows Starmie to revenge almost all other scarfers, as well as +1 Dragonite and +1 Gyarados. If a wall switches in that cannot be beaten by the other pokes, I can trick it instead, crippling it for good.

Well, that concludes my team, if you have any suggestions that could make it better, that would be cool, but I've mainly made this thread as a testament to 4th Gen's success and great fun. Farewell, DPP, it was a great saga.

That's it guys, I hope you enjoyed reading!
    -GatoDelFuego

Minor Threat List:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Breloom: I swear, does every team have trouble with this thing? Usually, I have to put Bronzong to sleep and stall it out with Gengar, but if Gengar is gone...it's pretty much GG.

[​IMG]
    Hippowdon: An unusual threat. While Starmie can take it out with a Hydro Pump, I often cannot switch in. The same goes for Gengar and Tyranitar. While they can heavily damage Hippowdon, they can't switch in and I will usually have to sack something until I can get a switch for free. But then they can just switch out again and it starts all over...Bronzong can take all of its moves, but lacks recovery to match it and will just end up dying - or if they're dumb, they'll roar it out and do my job for me.

[​IMG]
    Suicune: Kind of the same status as Hippowdon, but my only hope is to either trick it a scarf or use Stone Edge from Tyranitar to take it out. However, if they predict my TTar switch they can hit it with surf for great damage...Often times it's manageable, but doesn't do my team any good.​

Importable: If anyone STILL plays DPP OU, and REALLY loves the team...heck, I'm fine with that. I'd be glad if the team saw some usage by anybody.
    Show Hide
    300 (Gallade) (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Ice Punch

Riot Shield (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Gyro Ball
    - Stealth Rock
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earthquake

AU 313 (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunder Wave

Reptar (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Pursuit
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Aqua Tail

Danny (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Pain Split
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Verteces (Starmie) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Trick

If people really want it, I might post a complete threat list sometime in the future.

2. 2sly4u

2sly4u

Hi Gato. Great team. I just have a few things.

First off, you mentioned your issues with three pokemon, specifically Breloom. Luckily, there is one pokemon who deftly handles all three of your mentioned threats: CM Celebi. Celebi can shrug off Seed Bomb, Focus Punch, and Stone Edge from Breloom and packs a nice Leech Seed immunity too. Against Suicune, she can set up right alongside her (except CroCune, but Starmie beats that variant easily). Hippodown is pulverized by Grass Knot, but you need to watch out for the rare Crunch. Here's the full set:

[​IMG]
    Celebi@Leftovers
    Bold Nature, 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spe
    Calm Mind
    Recover
    Grass Knot
    HP Fire/Earth Power

Calm Mind Celebi isn't as popular as it once was, but it remains a force to be reckoned with if allowed to set up. With a great boosting move and access to Recover, Celebi can find numerous opportunities to nab the multiple boosts it needs to bulldoze through teams. Grass Knot is your STAB, while the last move lets you beat certain would-be-counters (HP Fire for Scizor and Earth Power for Heatran). Pick whichever suits your fancy. If you prefer a more offensive Celebi, Nasty Plot can be used instead with max Speed and Special Attack EVs. However, Suicune has a much easier time with this variant, especially if you forgo Recover for a third attacking move.

If you plan on using Celebi, I'd replace Gallade and move Bronzong into the lead slot. Gallade is an awesome pokemon, but right now he's kind of a sixth wheel, not really covering any vital weaknesses. It's better to cover the problematic pokemon you mentioned.

Last, I'd recommend you replace Thunder Wave on Magnezone with Flash Cannon. Magnezone has such a great Special Attack, it's almost a waste of a turn to paralyze an opponent as they break your Sub. Flash Cannon lets you maim poke on who otherwise laugh at you, such as Flygon, Hippowdon, and to an extent Tyranitar.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
  3. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

That is a fantastic suggestion, I think that would work really well. I would do it instantly but it means taking out Gallade. Bronzong handles most leads really well, but I'm unsure what I would do about machamp and to a lesser extend azelf. Azelf can taunt bronzong and then fire blast it, and machamp can beat it with its dynamicpunch. However, flash cannon on magnezone sounds like a great idea. I've played with Flash Cannon magnezone in the 5th gen and it works much better. Thanks for the rate!
  4. B-Zard

B-Zard

Hey, cool team. I have a few things.

I would replace your Gallade lead with a lead Celebi, since it can get up rocks and it is pretty underrated as a lead set. Here's the set you might want to try out:

Lead Celebi set (open)

[​IMG]
    Celebi @ Occa Berry
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 40 HP | 252 SpA | 216 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Speed/-Att)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leaf Storm
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Ice

Stealth Rock is always good to have on your lead. Leaf Storm is a pretty damn powerful STAB attack. Earth Power for fire types that want to switch on any of your attacks. Hp Ice is mainly for Dnite leads, but also works against Gliscor and grass type leads.

Next, I would go for Skarmory > Bronzong since Skarmory can just like Bronzong come in on EQs but has the opportunity to heal itself with Roost, something Bronzong cannot do. Skarmory can also phaze and lay up Spikes to get some extra entry hazard damage. Since your team is pretty offensively based, you definitely need some extra damage in the form of entry hazards. This is the preferred set:

Skarmory set (open)

[​IMG]
    Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Ability: Keen Eye
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 Speed
    Impish Nature (+Def/-Spatt)
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Spikes
    - Roost

Brave Bird is way stronger than any other attack. You get recoil but since you have Roost it is the preferred choice over Drill Peck. Whirlwind is to scout and phaze. Spikes is for more entry hazard damage. Roost to heal off your damage.

Last thing is your Gengar. It seems kinda misplaced in your team I think. You use it to do something against Bliss but there are other effective ways of dealing with this thing. You might want to try out Sub +3 attacks Machamp > Gengar. You had 3 Pursuit weaknesses in your team, so if you use Machamp over Gengar you have one Pursuit weakness less and a fighting type to take on Bliss and Pursuit users (especially Ttar, Scizor is taken on by Magnezone). This is the set:

Machamp set (open)

[​IMG]
    Machamp @ Leftovers
    Ability: No Guard
    EVs: 128 HP | 252 Atk | 128 Spe
    - Substitute
    - DynamicPunch
    - Payback
    - Stone Edge

DynamicPunch + Payback nearly hits the same things as the Shadow Ball + Focus Blast from your Gengar. Last moveslot is Stone Edge to hit flying types who resist Dpunch.

Hope I helped you. Good luck!
  5. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

The lead Celebi is borderline genius, it can probably beat machamp as well as the threats I had earlier.

I hate skarmory, just personal preference, and will (unfortunately) never use it on a team. Sorry :S

Gengar isn't going anywhere. It's needed for the core described, and it also spinblocks. Generally, pursuit is not a problem because scizor is taken care of by magnezone, and tyranitar is generally not a problem .I think that gengar actually outspeeds scarfed tyranitar...or it takes a pursuit...or im not sure. Starmie is really not used unless something sets up, and if I have to trade starmie for taking out a boosting attacker, I'll do it.

Thanks nonetheless!
  6. B-Zard

B-Zard

So if you're going to use that Celebi lead you need a different moveset for Bronzong, since Celebi already has the SR. Maybe you might want to try out the screens set:

new Bronzong set (open)

[​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Light Clay
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP | 152 Atk | 8 Def | 96 SpD
    Relaxed Nature (+Def/-Speed)
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake

Something else to consider is using Forretress > Bronzong so you'll have a rapid spinner and your choice users can come in more safely. This is the set:

Forretress set (open)

[​IMG]
    Forretress @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP | 112 Atk | 144 Def
    Relaxed Nature (+Def/-Speed)
    - Spikes/ Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Payback
    - Gyro Ball/ Toxic Spikes

Really bad though you don't like Skarmory. It would fit perfectly into your team, adding another Dark and Ghost type resistance for attacks aimed at Gengar and Starmie. Forretress could also fulfill this role, but lacks the recovery move, just like Bronzong.

Hope you will appreciate it!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)