My first Gen V UU team

In past generations of Pokemon I've typically always played in the OU tier. This generation's OU is not my favorite, so I've decided to venture into UU. However, I've had no experience with UU except for a few threads I read on the Smogon metagames section of this forum. This is my first Gen V UU team, and I'd appreciate any commentary, criticisms, and fixes.

Mienshao (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I read about how much of a monster this Pokemon was, and decided to make it my physical sweeper instead of Heracross. It is the standard life orb set and it has served me extremely well. U-turn provides excellent scouting, and I love it in conjunction with Regenerator. I chose Regenerator over Reckless as a way to mitigate Life Orb recoil and entry hazard damage. I'd consider Reckless but I've had little issues getting KOs.

Snorlax (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 4 Spd / 200 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit

I've always been a fan of Choice Band Snorlax. He can get switch ins on most special attacks, and then dish out a substantial amount of damage with a choice band Return. He can also trap and kill some of the weaker ghost types who could otherwise threaten to switch in on Mienshao's high jump kick. I've considered leftovers, but the Choice Band helps soften up enemy physical walls considerably which often allows Mienshao to sweep them up later on in the game.

Whimsicott (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Taunt

Whimsicott is probably the Pokemon I had the least amount of confidence in when building this team, if only because of its seemingly gimmicky nature and RU status. However, Whimsicott has more than pulled its own weight thus far. Taunt/Encore has shut many things down. Substitute and Leech Seed seems to annoy a significant amount of Pokemon in the metagame. Clever prediction has saved me from enemy sweeps by predicting the use of a recovery or stat up move. Less knowledgeable opponents don't seem to realize that their Pokemon with take Struggle damage if I taunt them after encoring a non-attacking move.

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball

I have Snorlax and Registeel on my team, so fighting type attacks are a nuisance. Cofagrigus is an answer to a large number of physical threats in the game, including Heracross and Meinshao. Haze provides an answer to stat-up opponents if Whimsicott is KO'ed or cannot afford a switch in. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical sweepers further. Cofagrigus is definitely crucial to this team right now.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Earthquake

To be perfectly honest, Registeel is the member of my team I am most likely to replace. He's pretty much just here to set up Stealth Rock. However, to his credit Thunder Wave has been useful and so has Seismic Toss damage. He also has significant special bulk, which helps my team deal with special attacks when Snorlax is down or would prefer to keep his HP up for later. That said, he also has a weakness to fighting attacks which means special based fighting attacks pose a huge threat to this team. If I were to replace him it would have to be for another Pokemon (preferably defensive and/or utility) with Stealth Rock.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Zapdos is the final member of my team and the most often forgotten. I've rarely had to switch him in for whatever reason. He provides a secondary answer to physical fighting attacks and ground based attacks. However, his weakness to rock means he isn't great at dealing with non-choiced Heracross and Mienshao due to their use of Stone Edge. Hidden Power [Flying] is subject to change, but it at least prevents those previously mentioned threats from switching in safely. Pressure has also been incredibly helpful with PP stalling certain moves on key enemy Pokemon.

If you're looking for a better Sp. Defender than Registeel I would definitely suggest Umbreon in that spot. She can't set up hazards, but she can provide very valuable support with Heal Bell and Wish, and it also has Toxic to weaken tough threats for late game when it's time for Mienshao to pull off a sweep.

Speaking of Toxic, this team overall seems pretty Defensive and your only win condition seems to be a Mienshao sweep. Have you ever considered fitting Toxic Spikes on this team? It would give things like your Whimsicott something to stall for. If Whimsicott is in on a Toxic'd Pokemon and it manages to struggle lock the opposing Pokemon, it will not live for very long. Toxic Spikes users are not plentiful in the UU tier, Roserade and Nidoking/queen are the only 3 that learn the move, but diving into lower tiers you'll see Toxic Spikers such as Drapion and Scolipede and I recommend you test one.

Overall this team is good. The main problem with it though is that it doesn't have many win conditions and I think you need to come up with some more options.

If you're looking for a better Sp. Defender than Registeel I would definitely suggest Umbreon in that spot. She can't set up hazards, but she can provide very valuable support with Heal Bell and Wish, and it also has Toxic to weaken tough threats for late game when it's time for Mienshao to pull off a sweep.

Speaking of Toxic, this team overall seems pretty Defensive and your only win condition seems to be a Mienshao sweep. Have you ever considered fitting Toxic Spikes on this team? It would give things like your Whimsicott something to stall for. If Whimsicott is in on a Toxic'd Pokemon and it manages to struggle lock the opposing Pokemon, it will not live for very long. Toxic Spikes users are not plentiful in the UU tier, Roserade and Nidoking/queen are the only 3 that learn the move, but diving into lower tiers you'll see Toxic Spikers such as Drapion and Scolipede and I recommend you test one.

Overall this team is good. The main problem with it though is that it doesn't have many win conditions and I think you need to come up with some more options.
1. The thing is that Stealth Rock seems really really really good. I'm not entirely willing to give it up for Umbreon even with its wonderful support set.

2. Yeah I tend to be biased towards defensive teams. My win condition is simply taking down key Pokemon by wearing them down slowly with 4/6ths of my team, and then pulling out a sweep with Snorlax or Mienshao. I actually really like the idea of adding Toxic Spikes, I'm just not sure where to fit it. I could replace Zapdos but then I lack an answer to ground type moves.

Can Nidoqueen learn Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes? I can turn her into a defensively biased hazard layer and get rid of Registeel.

Thank you for the rate.

Can Nidoqueen learn Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes? I can turn her into a defensively biased hazard layer and get rid of Registeel.

Thank you for the rate.
Yes, Nidoqueen can learn them both. She can even learn Roar if you want her to be a Phazer.
The only problem I can think of when you replace her for Registeel, is that you'll have a weakness to Ice. Ofcourse moest Ice-attacks are Special, but if Mienshao is KO'ed and a weavile appears, your most save switch is Zapdos, which is easily 2HKO'd by Ice Shard

Yes, Nidoqueen can learn them both. She can even learn Roar if you want her to be a Phazer.
The only problem I can think of when you replace her for Registeel, is that you'll have a weakness to Ice. Ofcourse moest Ice-attacks are Special, but if Mienshao is KO'ed and a weavile appears, your most save switch is Zapdos, which is easily 2HKO'd by Ice Shard
Replacing Registeel with Nidoqueen may necessitate changing Zapdos to another Pokemon. Registeel and Zapdos are probably the two I am most willing to change.

Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)