My first NU team

Hi! I am Alonsoforever, MazinroboX2 in Pokémon Showdown. At first, I hated Team Preview, so I was quite hesitant to play in 5th Generation, but now, I've got used to it... Here is my first attempt of a NU team, and with a few changes I've been doing, it has worked quite well. I am still a bit noobish sometimes and make key prediction mistakes, but I guess I'll remedy that by fighting more. I am at the 1700s in Pokémon Showdown with very few battles, so I've won more than lost. However, I know the team can improve a lot, so that's why I am posting it here. Here it goes!

At a glance:

Team (Changes in Bold).

Maul (Liepard) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 80 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef / 168 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave / Encore
- Substitute
- Foul Play
- Swagger

This Liepard set gives headaches to most opponents. When they see Liepard in Team Preview, some usually say: "No, it's Liepard!" or things like that. Evs let it outspeed Haunter, Murkrow, and Zangoose, and have a good Substitute PS number. If the opponent lets Liepard set up Substitute, he will have problems. Liepard has also helped me for paralyzing several threats when I was in a tough position. Prankster makes it awesome. I've considered using Encore in Liepard. Which set should I be using then?

Wahhhh (Seismitoad) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Toxic

This is my new addition to the team, and it's good because it patches some of the weaknesses of my team. It's certainly more useful than Throh. Substitute is a great move to have, as many people try using Toxic on Seismitoad to cripple it. Hydro Pump has high base power, and allows Seismitoad to hit for good damage any Pokémon that doesn't resist it. Earth Power is Seismitoad's other STAB, and Toxic helps my team against walls, such as Tangela (if Tangela switches into Seismitoad while I use Substitute, I use Toxic, and then change).

Previous member in this spot:

Sumo (Throh) (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Payback
- Circle Throw
- Bulk Up

This is the Pokémon I like less of my team, but it's not bad. Bulk Up until he is low on health, then Rest + Chesto and attack. The problem is that the damage output isn't really that good, and phazing moves aren't that good in my team because I am not that based on entry hazards... Maybe RestTalk is a better option for Throh? I've also considered replacing Throh with Gurdurr, or even an offensive Pokémon like Braviary, Pinsir or Sawk. What do you recommend me?

HammerArm (Regirock) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

This Pokémon has been hard to use for me, because sometimes I've done badly and let it be koed... I am not good at using tanks, but I am beginning to improve little by little. Sometimes I lead with Regirock. If I see my opponent can have Taunt, I attack, because Adamant Regirock's Stone Edge does a lot of damage. Drain Punch is amazingly useful, and it's my Regirock's way of recovering. Ice Punch replaces Earthquake because it's much more useful against Golurk. Regirock still has solid Defenses even with little investment, so it is a really reliable Stealth Rock setter.

Beauty (Gardevoir) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond / Trick

Gardevoir is a great Choice Scarf user thanks to its usable Speed and great Special Attack. Sometimes my opponent stay thinking they'll outspeed, but that's I think a silly move, because many Gardevoir are Scarved. The set is pretty straightforward, with Psychic dealing a huge amount of damage to Pokémon that don't resist it, Signal Beam doing well against other Psychic types, and Focus Miss, sorry, Focus Blast deals with Steel- and Rock-types efficiently. I have two options for the last slot. Destiny Bond may net some KOs when Gardevoir is weakened and it may also surprise Skuntank, while Trick cripples walls perfectly.

Getlicked! (Lickilicky) @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Protect
- Heal Bell

After being using Swords Dance Lickilicky I had to change it for the most usual Lickilicky, because a cleric is really beneficial to my team. Wish support is also good for Regirock, Gardevoir and Seismitoad, because they don't have reliable ways of recovery. Body Slam is there for STAB, and for getting some random paralysis that might be crucial for the battle. Own Tempo makes Lickilicky my Swagger Liepard check! Lickilicky is a good Pokémon, and it accomplishes its task really well.

Imperfecto (Haunter) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Hidden Power Ground
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

I used to run SubDisable Haunter, but now I run this one because it's more powerful. Haunter's attacks boosted by Life Orb are really fearsome, very few Pokémon can avoid being 2HKOed by it. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are good STAB moves with great secondary effects, while Hidden Power Ground hits Skuntank for super effective damage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my team. I know it's not very good, that's why I am posting it here. I want to keep on learning about this metagame. Please, tell me all the changes you'd made. My team has serious problems with Skuntank, as I have to play very carefully with Gardevoir and Haunter when facing a team with it. Also, I have three weaknesses to Fighting-types, so if Gardevoir and Haunter are down, I am in a bad position against Sawk.

Toxic Spikes are also a major concern, and the lack of a set-up sweeper isn't good either...

Please, help me improve it! Thanks in advance.

liepard / throh / regirock / gardevoir / lickilicky / haunter

your biggest weakness here is shell smash sweepers, namely gorebyss and carracosta. the latter is dangerous because nothing wants to switch in at all, and aqua jet can still be problematic even if you manage to use thunder wave.

to help against that, i would consider using seismitoad over throh, because it carries water absorb and a resistance to rock-type attacks to help deal against carracosta. it has offensive presence to threaten almost anything that isn't a grass-type, and can sometimes lure in pokemon that can take a hit in order to nail them with a toxic.

lickilicky should also be using a specially defensive spread because absolutely nothing on your team wants to take specially-based water-type attacks from things like samurott or ludicolo. certain members of your team, such as regirock and gardevoir, would highly appreciate wish support as well.

regirock also doesn't need earthquake since it's redundant coverage with drain punch; using either toxic or ice punch can benefit your team more. toxic is to catch many counters that like to switch into regirock, and it also gives you an extra preventive measure against substitute + bulk up braviary. ice punch prevents golurk from being able to switch in freely to threaten regirock.

lastly, this is optional, but you might want to consider haunter's life orb set with destiny bond since skuntank might be a little annoying to deal with. haunter can put skuntank in a losing situation with destiny bond, which can possibly remove it and allow gardevoir or lickilicky to function on the team more easily without having to fear pursuit and taunt, respectively.

summary:
liepard / seismitoad throh / toxic or ice punch earthquake regirock / gardevoir / specially defensive spread lickilicky / life orb set subdisable set* haunter
* optional

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SDef / 252 HP
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Body Slam

Haunter @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Destiny Bond

Use masquerain with quiver dance and baton pass. Quiver dance is like the Dragon Dance of the special side. Rather than having choice scarf on gardevoir you can have a gardevoir that has the effects of a choice scarf and a calm mind all in one that can be devastating to the opponent. So replace something that doesn't really do anything for your team with masquerain, 1/4 damage from fighting attacks and the ability to quiver pass to gardevoir.

Get rid of Substitute on Lickilicky and use Heal Bell, if you get statused on the switch you will be screwed. Heal Bell also helps out your entire team

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try Seismitoad > Throh, use Specially Defensive Lickilicky, and try Life Orb Haunter. I've also considered running Destiny Bond > Trick for getting some Surprise KOs. About Masquerain, I'm not sure. I may try using it instead of Throh / Seismitoad, but for now, I think I won't use it, thank you anyways.

I have updated the main post with the changes made to the team. I am having trouble with Toxic Spikes, becuase they mess with my whole team except for Haunter, and walls like Tangela are also problematic. Also, I don't like I lack a set-up sweeper. What changes do you reccomend?

Thanks in advance.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
While I would say Encore is leagues better (in my not so humble opinion), it really depends on what your team needs. Thunder Wave is handy for slowing down dangerous sweepers for the kill, but Encore can be used to force out boosters and buy free turns. A well-timed switch on a Shell Smash can also waste the user's White Herb, making it that much harder for them to setup the next time. Encore can also deal with RestTalkers like Regice or Throh who think they are safe from Liepard's Thunder Wave, when in reality they are nothing more than setup fodder. Encore also bypasses Substitute which Thunder Wave and Swagger are useless against, again making it a great asset against boosters like subBU Braviary or Sub Shift Gear Klang.

That said, Thunder Wave's (sole) benefit for the team can prove invaluable, though if all you're looking for is Prankster Thunder Wave I would turn my attention to Volbeat, who trades a Stealth Rock neutrality in favor of better bulk, reliable recovery and potent support.

While I would say Encore is leagues better (in my not so humble opinion), it really depends on what your team needs. Thunder Wave is handy for slowing down dangerous sweepers for the kill, but Encore can be used to force out boosters and buy free turns. A well-timed switch on a Shell Smash can also waste the user's White Herb, making it that much harder for them to setup the next time. Encore can also deal with RestTalkers like Regice or Throh who think they are safe from Liepard's Thunder Wave, when in reality they are nothing more than setup fodder. Encore also bypasses Substitute which Thunder Wave and Swagger are useless against, again making it a great asset against boosters like subBU Braviary or Sub Shift Gear Klang.

That said, Thunder Wave's (sole) benefit for the team can prove invaluable, though if all you're looking for is Prankster Thunder Wave I would turn my attention to Volbeat, who trades a Stealth Rock neutrality in favor of better bulk, reliable recovery and potent support.
Thanks for your opinion. I guess I'll try them both, and see which one is more beneficial to my team. Encore seems quite an underrated option, because most people like using the annoying Liepard with TW and Swagger, and it is what is most expected. Encore may surprise them.

I don't think I'll be using Volbeat, though, as it lacks ways to do damage, unlike Liepard, who at least has STAB Foul Play. Annoyer Volbeat tends to force many switches, and that's great, but my team doesn't have many entry hazards (only SR) to make it that good.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You do have trouble with Sawk because your whole team is OHKOed by Close Combat and Earthquake. To maintain the nature of your team I would suggest Physically Defensive Misdreavus over Haunter. It has Taunt to help deal with Stall and the Toxic Spikes you don't like, Will-O-Wisp to catch Skuntank on the switch, and it still has a moderately strong Shadow Ball to inflict damage. I highly recommend a bit of Speed creep to outpace Skuntank, but that's up to you.

You do have trouble with Sawk because your whole team is OHKOed by Close Combat and Earthquake. To maintain the nature of your team I would suggest Physically Defensive Misdreavus over Haunter. It has Taunt to help deal with Stall and the Toxic Spikes you don't like, Will-O-Wisp to catch Skuntank on the switch, and it still has a moderately strong Shadow Ball to inflict damage. I highly recommend a bit of Speed creep to outpace Skuntank, but that's up to you.
That is a good idea. I've used Misdreavus previously and it is a great Pokémon many teams aren't prepared for. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)