1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My First OU Team - Gen 5

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Crynt, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Crynt

Crynt

[​IMG]

Hello Everyone, I have started putting together my first competitive pokemon team and would love any feedback or pitfalls on my choices.
    Recently picked up pokemon again after not playing for a few years and have never played it competitively. The team includes some Gen 5 pokemon.
    The main idea of the party is just to be a balanced and rounded out team that able to handle most strategies that come its way.

[​IMG]
    Empoleon @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Speed
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    - Aqua Jet
    - Surf
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Beam

I think Empoleon would be a great lead thanks to its many resistances thanks to its water/steel typing.
    That coupled with being able to set up stealth rock were my main reasons.

[​IMG]
    Kingdra @ Chesto Berry
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 144HP / 200 Atk / 82 SpD / 82 Def
    Admant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Rest
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Waterfall

Definitely one of my favorite pokemon thanks to looks and typing. Basic idea is to set up with
    Dragon dance at least once but hopefully twice or more, rest and wake up with chesto berry, then
    physical sweep. Hopefully a bit of a wall thanks to its typing too.

[​IMG]
    Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Speed
    Timid Nature (+Speed, - Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flamethrower
    - Surf
    - U-Turn

Special sweeper. Hoping to catch some people off-guard with the speed EVs / Nature.
    Pretty much a special sweeper and if it had to use Draco Meteor or retreat it can just U-Turn.

[​IMG]
    Volcarona @ Fire Gem
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs: 4HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Speed
    -Bug Buzz
    -Substitute
    -Fiery Dance
    -Quiver Dance

With Substitute should be able to set up Quiver Dance a time or two making it a nice special attack sweeper.
    Weaknesses to stealth rock are brutal but hopefully next pokemon can take care of those.

[​IMG]
    Crobat @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Jolly Nature (+Speed, -SpA)
    EVs: 144HP / 82 SpD / 82 Def / 200 Speed
    -Super Fang
    -U-Turn
    -Haze
    -Defog

A really quick status and field clearer with Haze and Defog. After that able to take anything down to 50% with
    superfang and then u-turn to remove after clearing or to let someone else finish the last 50% or 25%.

[​IMG]
    Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    Admant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 252HP / 92 Atk / 82 SpD / 82 Def
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Pain Split
    -Thunder Punch
    -Seismic Toss

My wall... I have some fear of Gyarados and bulky water types hence the Thunder Punch.
    The rest of my team should be able to hand the ground / rock / steel types that would've been hit
    with earthquake in thunder punch's place. Leftovers and pain split is hopefully enough healing.

Thanks for any feedback!
  2. Crynt

Crynt

Minor update: swapped surf for HP: Electric
    Empoleon @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Speed
    - Aqua Jet
    - HP: Electric
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Beam
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh

This is not so much as a rate, in any sense of what the word actually means, but i'll just try to help you out as you are making a few elementary mistakes. I might be a bit harsh, but don't hate me for it.

Empoleon, you put HP EVs, and say how it has good typing for tanking, but you give it a focus sash?

You are running Volcarona with no taunt lead and rapid spin support? Its gonna get ripped apart by stealth rock.

Your Kingdra, if you have dragon dance, why don't you have any speed EVs? Its not supposed to wall, its supposed to sweep. 4HP. 252Atk. 252Spe Adamant. 82 is not divisible by 4, your EVs.

I really don't understand the crobat set, is it really necessary, if you're playing him as a tank, shouldn't you have roost, taunt or toxic. U-turn with no rapid spin support will really screw it over. Again, what's wrong with the EVs, 82 is not divisible by 4.

Change dusknoir to a dusclops and give him an eviolite, walls are supposed to tank thats all they do, you don't need an adamant nature. Run dusclops with will-o-wisp, nightshade and its more than enough to incapacitiate gyarados.
  4. wacky tabaky

wacky tabaky

Fine team but you might want longer descriptions or a mod will get you

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)