My first OU team

I'm still pretty new at this, but after reading almost every smogon analysis for black and white I decided to try and make my own competitive on Pokemon Showdown, and after a lot of battles, major changes, and minor tweaking this is the team I have settled on and has given me a good amount of success to boot! So with out further adieu

Tornadus-Therian
Item: Flying Gem
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spd -SpA)
~ Acrobatics
~ Super Power
~ Taunt
~ Bulk Up

Tornadus-T is what I usually lead with. Taunt is an excellent move shutting down the opposing lead, if they are Spikers or setup sweepers, its also great for dealing with walls later in the game. I chose to go with Physical Tornadus-T instead of Special for several reasons. For one, I find the down sides of my two attacking moves to be a lot more manageable, then the Shaky accuracy of their special equivalents, Hurricane and Focus Blast. Another is a can up my attack with Bulk up, which I can't do with Special Tornadus-T. I also like the Acrobatics + Flying Gem Combo in case I need to launch a powerful attack right away. Overall I feel it is a versatile Anti-Lead.

Mamoswine
Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpA)
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Shard
~ Icicle Crash
~ Super Power

A fairly standard Mamoswine set, but that because I feel it dose its job so well, and that job is destroying the opposing Dragon or Steel pokemon with the appropriate move. I went for Expert Belt instead of Life Orb of Choice band, because it hits all the stuff I want it to hit with close to the same damage as Life Orb with out taking its life away, nor locking it into one move like Choice Band.

Rotom-Wash
Item: Choice Specs
Ablilty: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
~ Hydro Pump
~ Volt Switch
~ Trick
~ Hidden Power (Fire)

I find this set is good for a taking a decent amount of hits, and can help scout the opposing team with Volt switch, or if I feel an opposing opposing pokemon is going to switch in and absorb the volt switch, like a Ground type or Thundarus-T, Hydro Pump is usually powerful enough to 1HKO the switch in. HP fire helps alot with steel types, mainly Scizor, and Trick is another grate option to deal with opposing walls.

Alakazam
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
~ Psyschock
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball
~ Hidden Power (Ice)

With the combination of Magic Guard and Focus Sash, this Alakazam will always take at least one hit, and most of the time one hit is all he needs to deal with a rampaging setup sweeper, help shift the momentum of the battle in my favor. Psyshock over Psychic because having a special attacker hit physical defense of a pokemon to be very helpful. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball are standard coverage moves. I went for HP Ice for the last move slot due to the large amount powerful pokemon that are weak to Ice, and it has been a very helpful move to deal with them once Mamoswine goes down.

Latias
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA -Atk)
~ Calm Mind
~ Recover
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Roar

Latias can take Special Hits like a real champ, setup with calm mind, and then preform a high speed sweep. I chose Lum Berry instead of leftovers, because since I am mainly switching her into stuff like Thunder, Hurricanes, and weaker Ice beams, status hax has been her down fall for the longest time, and Lum alleviates the problem somewhat. It is also nice to have something switch in a predicted Breloom Spore, absorbed it, then outspeed and KO it on the next turn. Recover dose a good job of keeping her alive. Dragon Pulse is a good constant STAB move. Roar is great for dealing with opposing setup sweepers thinking they can setup on Latias, and assuming I dont Roar in something else threatening I can get a recover or another Calm Mind.

Heatran
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Spa / 4 Spe
Modest Nature (+Spa -Atk)
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Sunny Day
~ Solar beam

This set I find excellent for dealing with sun teams and rain teams. Fire Blast is the main STAB and Earth Power deals with opposing fire pokemon the Heatran loves switching into. A well placed Sunny Day can be a real momentum killer for rain teams, especially if Politoad is gone. Heatran takes neutral damage from water attacks in sunny conditions, while he can deal with opposing waters with a no charge up Solar Beam, and my fire blast gets a power up too. Hurricane and Thunder becoming alot less accurate, and all rain abilities being shut down is also a big help. I find that the fact that a fire pokemon that counters rain teams being so counter intuitive really helps with the effectiveness of this set.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey,
Nice team you have here. First off I think a major threat for you is Shell Smash Cloyster. Nothing on your team likes taking hits from him and if he sets up, he will be nigh impossible for you to stop. I would also say Dragons and Rain paired up can also be hard for your team to go up against due to Heatrans vulnerability in rain. Anyway onto rating!

Although you seem to dislike the recoil you should definitely use Life Orb > Expert Belt on Mamo. Mamoswine needs that extra power to get the OHKO's and 2HKO's he should be getting and without the Life Orb he will be finding his attacks a bit lacking. Next I see that you loath status on your Latias. Lum Berry can only rid you of status once however. Thats why using Refresh > Roar and Leftovers > Lum Berry is a great idea for Latias. This way you can just get rid of any status so any attempt to toxic or burn Latias to death are rendered ineffective and paralyzing latias for an easy revenge kill is out as well. Although you lose your only PHazer, Latias doesn't usually use roar much anyway and far appreciates the ability to rid itself of troublesome status. For Rotom now HP [FIRE] probably isn't the best coverage move for him. HP [ICE] on Rotom allows you to achieve perfect coverage and lets you beat the numerous dragons roaming OU. Next although you are probably eager to try out the new theiran formes, Tornadus is not being used well on this team. Also noted was you don't carry the vital Stealth Rocks on this team anywhere. Also noted was that if you put Scizor in here somewhere you would have a deadly Volt-Turn combo to help break down the opposition to the point where Latias can sweep Thats why I propose you try out Azelf > Alakazam and Scizor > Tornadus. Using Azelf as a lead is great as you can almost always get up rocks and afterwards hit incredibly hard off of Azelf's very respectable offensive stats. Also good to know is that he can beat some of the most common spinners in Starmie and Forretress. Scizor should be put in because as mentioned before, him and Rotom are best bro's and also Scizor gives your team a nice priority move to fall back on in case a sweeper gets out of hand. Also these 2 give your team the perfect balance between bulk and power making your team great at sponging hits while also dishing them out.
GL with the team, sets below
Azelf @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive (+Spe -SpD)
Trait: Levitate
EV's: 160Atk / 98SpA/ 252Spe
Stealth Rock/ U-Turn/ Flamethrower/ Explosion

Scizor @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
Trait: Technician
EV's: 98HP / 252Atk / 160SpD
U-Turn/ Bullet Punch/ Superpower/ Quick Attack

Pretty good team you have going here. My main suggestion would be to use stealth rock on mamoswine as you run a pretty offensive team and that should help with a good sweep. I'm also with the suggestion of using life orb over expert belt.

Interesting team here, though I think I have a few suggestions.

First is putting 252 HP 4 spatt and 252 speed on Latias. It works much better in my opinion. Also if you're planning for a sweep I suggest HP fire over Roar. you WILL be walled by steel types.

I would suggest changing Heatran's set since it's a little situational and a little bit gimmicky(I mean a little). But if it really works for you then keep it.

Volcarona is going to have a wonderful time once Tornadus and Rotom-w are down, specially in the sun, I understand Heatran can stop it but most Volcs carry HP ground just to destroy Heatran. So watch out for Volc in the sun. Back to what i said previously you might want to carry an air balloon set to make sure Volc doesn't destroy you or use specially defensive Heatran and roar Volc out before it can set up(volc can't OHKO without a boost from quiver dance).

that's all I really have to say :)

~ I have always managed to KO Cloyster when it Shell Smashed, but if it did it at the right time I can see how he would be a problem.

~ Between Mamomswine, Alakazam, and Latias, dragons have rarely been a problem even in the rain. Jirachi in the rain (or in general really) on the other hand has always been a problem for me.

~ True I have noticed a bit of a power drop when using expert belt on Mamo, I guess Life Orb really is the better option. Also Stealth Rocks on Mamo seems like a very easy change to make for me.

~ I tried HP Ice on Rotom, but Scizor was a big problem for me and HP fire really helped with that so I'm hesitant on switching back.

~ I will definately try Azelf ans Scizor on my team. Terrakion has been the other big problem for my team and I can see Scizors Bullet Punches helping with that.

~ I will also try Refresh + Lefties Latias to see how it gose, but I cant say Roar has been a move rarely used on her, it has help me out quite a few times. Mabey I could use a better Phazer...

~ Sunny day Heatran has actually very helpful for me. I suppose it is situational, but I find changing the whether to Sun is really helpful against non-sun-whether teams and there are a lot of them in BW OU. If nothing else I can use Sunny Day to power up my Fire Blast and Solar beam against non whether teams. I'll try Air Balloon on Heatran. Oddly enough I've faced tons of Rain and whether less Volcs, but I don't recall facing one in the sun.

Thanks everyone for your Critiques and suggestions.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Clafairy

Solid team you have here, I especially like your creative use of Bulk Up Tornadus-T to bluff a special set. Now looking at your team I can see Choice Scarf Terrakion and Swords Dance Lucario as being major threats. Scarf Terrakion outspeeds your entire team and can really run through it once Alakazam's Focus Sash is broken. Swords Dance Lucario does not have the same amount of speed but makes up for it with powerful priority in Extremespeed and Bullet Punch to take down faster threats. Stall teams that rack up damage with entry hazards may also prove troublesome as you carry no rapid spinner. To patch up these weaknesses, I suggest replacing Latias with a Toxic Staller Gliscor with a moveset of Substitute / Protect / Earthquake / Toxic. Toxic Staller Gliscor is one of the premier physical walls in the metagame, easily taking anything Terrakion can throw at it as well as beating Lucario without Ice Punch. Gliscor is also threatening for opposing Stall teams as he cannot be statused once Toxic Orb activates. On Gliscor, I suggest an EV spread of 244 HP / 40 Def / 220 with an Impish nature as this allows you to outspeed Adamant Lucario and dispatch it with Earthquake as well as stall out the onsite Bulky Attacker Rotom-W if you Substitute or Toxic on the switch. Although Gliscor is now able to use Roost with Poison Heal, Protect is still useful to scout Choiced moves.

Now I mentioned how I liked your use of physical Tornadus-T with BU, but standard Tornadus performs this set better. Tornadus has the Prankster ability which allows you to have a priority Taunt and Bulk Up. This is useful in cases such as being able to Bulk Up and grab a defense boost before taking a Scizor's Bullet Punch. Though the incarnation forme has less bulk, he makes up for it with a higher attack stat. Regenarator will also not be missed too sorely as the set up sweeper will not be switching out often. Incarnation Tornadus also sacrifices Superpower for Brick Break which ensures he does not lose with Bulk Up boosts.

Now for some smaller changes. I agree with the above posters' suggestion of a Life Orb over Expert Belt on Mamoswine. Life Orb gives a much needed damage boost overall especially since STAB Earthquake is hitting for neutral damage. Next I would recommend changing Rotom-W's EV spread to 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd with a Modest nature. This spread maximizes Special Attack while outspeeding max speed Adamant Scizor and Breloom as well as fast Toxic Staller Gliscor. Hidden Power Ice is also more beneficial than Fire on Rotom-W to hit Dragon types and you already have Hydro Pump to eliminate Scizor and Trick to cripple Ferrothorn by looking it into one move.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Sets:
Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 220 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Substitute
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Toxic

Tornadus (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Taunt
-Bulk Up
-Acrobatics
-Brick Break

tl;dr
Latias ----> Toxic Staller Gliscor
Tornadus-T ----> Tornadus
Expert Belt on Mamoswine ----> Life Orb
Rotom's EV Spread ----> 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Timid nature Rotom-W ----> Modest nature
Hidden Power Fire ----> Hidden Power Ice

Hey, Nice team you got there. I would like to know if you are running hyper offence? becausse you have little defence in your team. Some physical sweepers laugh at most of your team, so add a toxic stall gliscor, just like what Novaray said. It will wall them all day long and can fire back some earthquakes. Also, for latias, substitute is a MUST. it gives you so many advantages compared to roar, and if a scarfed haxorus or choice Banded scizor comes in to revenge kill, you can attack them while behind a sub.

It looks like you don't really mind entry hazards. You have no hazard users or rapid spinners. Your in for a tough time if the opponent gets up 2 toxic spikes, 3 layers of spikes and stealth rocks. So try adding a rapid spinner like starmie over rotom-w (specs starmie + rapid spin?) , and give something Stealth rock, as youll have a hard time breaking dragonites multiscale. Other than that, great team. I hope this information is useful and good luck laddering with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)