1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My First OU Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Sweet Lou, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Sweet Lou

Sweet Lou

Hello all, I'm new here. I've constructed a few teams on Showdown, and I found this one that I think is cool, however I know there is plenty of room for improvement. Since I made it, I've had a 60/40 wins versus loss ratio. That's not bad, but I would like to make it better.

Now, for the record, I have been playing Pokemon for a long time, but I've never really been involved in competitive play until the last few months.

And I'm also not quite sure if this is how it should be done or not, but I'm going to paste in my team data from Showdown, and then further break everything down. Thanks in advance for your help.

=== [ou] NEW SWEET MIX ===

Victini @ Life Orb
    Trait: Victory Star
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 222 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 30 HP
    Hasty Nature
    - V-create
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Energy Ball
    - Fusion Flare

So V-create Victini was one that I always felt like I missed out on. And for great reason, that move is awesome in a pinch. I was able to sweep half a team with Victini, with a combination of Fusion Bolt and V-create. Victini is definitely a hard-hitter, with a nice amount of HP.

Espeon (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 Spd / 222 HP / 30 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    -Shadow Ball
    - Psychic
    - Substitute
    - Wish

Espeon is my required psychic user (all my teams have a psychic Pokemon, it's my favorite type) I use Espeon for some offense, but more importantly to try to magic bounce hazards back. Now the problem I've found with this strategy is that I usually lead with Tentacruel to set up Toxic Spikes, and most people who set hazards lead do so early, so Espeon may be replaceable. Thoughts?

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
    Trait: Liquid Ooze
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    -Giga Drain
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin

Tentatcruel is my lead, I set up two to three layers of Toxic Spikes to help me out in the long run. It turns out Ice Beam is actually a really sweet move for him as well. The only problem I've encountered with him so far is that he's my rapid spinner, and if he dies too early, I'm stuck with hazards on the field.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Lonely Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dragon Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage

Since EVERYONE else has a Dragonite on here, I felt the need to rock one. His outrage can really break through half a team in a few short turns. I was considering giving him the snap out of confusion berry to give me another free outrage, but then I would lose life orb's power...and I'm not so sure I'm okay with that.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-W is awesome. I really enjoy his diverse move pool. He is bulky enough to stick around for a while. And my volt switching is definitely a key strategy for this team.

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Roost
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Finally, my scarfed Scizor with Technician is a powerhouse that can break through anyone that's left over.

So that's my team in a nut shell. I'm not married to any one Pokemon or move set, so if you think someone, or some move would do better, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm here to learn and to get better. Thanks again guys. Have a great day.
  2. idr

idr

I find it interesting how you run roost on a scarfed pokemon, knowing that you are loosing momentum by having to switch twice to heal scizor. What i strongly think you should change is draco meteor on dragonite for dragon dance, to ensure the KOs with outrage and get the nice speed boost. It's not like i would use draco meteor on that set anyway...

EDIT: Oh, and if you find your tentacruel is dying too much, try to rearrange some EVs to HP and defenses
  3. Sweet Lou

Sweet Lou

I definitely agree with your Roost comment. That's more therein case I ever decide to remove the scarf and give him a life orb or something.

And thanks for the Dragonite idea. I mean, I've been recreating this team on my Black version, and my Dragonite (aka Paul) doesn't have Draco Meteor anyway. So I do need something to fill that spot.

As for Tentacruel, thanks for the advice. I really enjoy his ability, which is why I chose him over a Ferrothorn or Forretress.
  4. bkt0731

bkt0731

Okay. u don't need 3 layers of tspike on the other side of the team. and it's waste of turn to roost with skarfs on.

espeon can pretty much block every entry hazard if ran defensively. take a look at my team right down there. it can baton pass 1 calm mind abusing opponent stall's swith and if can, wish support the whole team.

victini is good. but mixed set is just plain nothing. can't hit hard enough.

your team might enjoy rain. dragonite can recieve cm from espeon and fire hurricane/thunder, tentacruel definitly loves rain due to rain dish, not to mention scizor and rotom wash.

in that case, i'd recommend raikou or thunderous.
  5. Sweet Lou

Sweet Lou

In that case, who would you recommend as my Rain starter?
  6. Deuce

Deuce

I think I have a suggestion that can free up a lot of room for your team. Tentacruel shouldn't be being used as a suicide lead, and as you said, Espeon is definitely replaceable. By adding a Deoxys-Defense to your team, you can have one Pokemon fulfill the roles of Espeon and Tentacruel even better than the two of them together can. I would suggest an EV spread of 252 HP/4 SpDef/252 Speed with a Timid Nature, a moveset of Spikes, Stealth Rock, Taunt, and Magic Coat, and a Rocky Helmet item. This set allows you to lead, set up the greatest amount of hazards possible in a short amount of time, Taunt slower entry hazard users (which are many, as Deo-D is one of the fastest users of Taunt in OU), and Magic Coat Taunts/Status/Entry Hazards that are coming off of faster Pokemon/Sableye. Because a 252 SpAtk Genesect at +1 can OHKO with Bug Buzz, the 4 SpDef EVs ensure that he goes for the U-turn, while the Rocky Helmet punishes him for it. Rocky Helmet also means that Rapid Spinners can't sit there spamming Rapid Spin until you run out of PP. While you do miss out on Toxic Spikes, Spikes and Stealth Rock affect a far larger portion of the metagame and give you crucial OHKOs that might otherwise be 2HKOs. The replacement of both Espeon and Tentacruel frees up a teamslot. In this spot, I would suggest using SubDisable Gengar. Because you have no boosting sweepers, your team looks fairly weak to stall. Gengar would remedy this problem, as it blocks Rapid Spin while your opponent's team struggles to get rid of its sub. Its great Special Attack, Speed, and coverage behind a sub also pose problems to offensive teams. It surprises me how few people are actually prepared for it. Now, on to some of your team's movesets. Firstly, Dragonite is somewhat weird. I would suggest Dragon Dance > Draco Meteor, Dragon Claw/Fire Punch > Dragon Tail, and an EV Spread of 4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed. This is your standard Dragon Dancing Dragonite. Dragon Tail is pretty much useless on your Dragonite right now, seeing as it has that awful negative priority and the phazing effect doesn't fit very well onto your set. Dragon Claw can be used so you have a STAB that won't lock you into Outrage, while Fire Punch can be used to hit Skarm/Ferro/Forretress/Scizor. Draco Meteor is pretty useless, as most of the things that will be wanting to take an Outrage will also take a Draco Meteor even more effectively. On Scizor, I will mirror what others have said and say replace Roost. Bug Bite will give you a good-powered STAB that you can spam late game. Anyways, hope I helped with those suggestions :D
  7. Sweet Lou

Sweet Lou

Thank you so much for that advice. I think I may have to rearrange things like that.

Anything else, anyone?
  8. Steel.Storm

Steel.Storm

Along side what everyone has said, I highly suggest Pain Split over T-Bolt on your Rotom. you aren't investing into SpAtk anyway so hitting a bit harder really shouldn't be what your Rotom is worried about. Pain Split, however, works very well on just about any non-Choice Rotom (excluding ChestoRest of course lol). With low base HP and a bulky butt, Rotom can gladly take hits only to gain most of that HP back while putting massive dents into other Bulky Pokes and staying around longer.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)