ORAS OU My first RMT :) (Mega Alakazam Offense)

Alright, so I haven't posted on this forum for quite some time, but I've been lurking for quite some time recently and wanted to start posting again, so I decided I'd start back in with a RMT of one of my most recent teams.

The Team building process:
I started out with Alakazam, as I wanted to build a team around his mega for some time now, and in ORAS with all the very fast threats, such as Mega sceptile, mega beedrill, Greninja, etc., Mega Alakazam stays a step above even them in speed, allowing him to be a very effective revenge killer and sweeper.

I wanted a rocks setter, as Alakazam, like any pokemon, loves rocks on the opponent's side of the field, and I also wanted a check to dark types such as bisharp, so Terrakion fit this role well. He also beats special walls that Alakazam cannot, such as Chansey.

I figured a pivot would be good, as Alakazam is quite frail and stuggles to get in safely. Alakazam also hates Talonflame, so I figured rotom-wash would be a great choice. It also counters scarf Lando-T, who is really annoying to both Terrakion and Alakazam.

At this point, I realised I was very weak to Mega Sableye, so I figured a fairy type was necessary. I also did not have any extremely strong attackers to threaten stall teams, so I figured a Choice specs Sylveon would be good. Sylveon also does not lose momentum with Baton pass, which is extremely valuable for this team.

My team at this point lacked two things: Something to threaten bulky psychic types that annoy Alakazam, and also priority. I figured Scizor would be a great choice, as it can threat aforementioned bulky psychics such as Cresselia, Mew, and Celebi with the threat of its very strong bug bite.

I figured a backup Talonflame, Mega pinsir, and sand offense check would be good, and my team also did not have a scarf user or an earthquake user yet, so I went with Landorus-T. He provides a good soft-check for other physical attackers that rotom cannot handle, or if it goes down early, such as mega lopunny, Metagross, and gallade.

The sets:
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
This guy is the star of this team and mostly functions as a revenge killer and late game cleaner once the enemy team has been sufficiently weakened. I chose Mega Alakazam because he seems like a very underrated threat who has amazing speed and good power, allowing him to decimate unprepared offensive teams. Fairly simple set, I went with energy ball over a utility move such as taunt or encore because I wanted to hit bulky water types such as Azumarill and Rotom-W harder than Psychic. Psychic is used over Psyshock because it's a tad bit stronger and Alakazam ironically struggles with physical walls such as gliscor without it. It also takes advantage of the occasional sheer force trace from a lando-i, which psyshock does not. Focus blast is for dark and steel types, such as Ferrothorn, Heatran, Tyranitar, etc. and Shadow ball is for opposing psychic types such as the lati’s, Celebi, and Mew, although most of its targets are quite bulky so they need to be weakened for Alakazam to get past them.

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

As stated before, this guy is my stealth rock setter, who doubles as a dark type check for dark types that get on Alakazam’s nerves, such as Bisharp, Mandibuzz, and to a lesser extent, Tyranitar. He seemed like the best choice to have both those roles into one team slot. His role is fairly simple, set up rocks when possible and proceed to smash the opponent with its fairly strong attacks. It’s also essentially my only reliable bisharp answer (can’t switch in directly in fear of iron head, but it can check it very nicely), so if I see one of those in my opponent’s team I know I can’t let this guy die early. CC and Stone edge are obvious, Stealth rock is for well, rocks, and I added Swords dance in the last slot because there really isn’t much this guy needs, and it helps him bust through bulky physical walls such as skarmory. I have a lum berry on here to avoid a burn or para, as I really don’t like sash all that much and LO made him much easier for the opponent to wear down, which is very bad if they have a bisharp.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

This guy is my team’s defensive backbone, who also gives the frailer members of my team a free switch in with volt switch. It’s also my primary answer to Excadrill, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir. He might not have as big of an offensive presence as the rest of the team, but he is still very vital to it. The residual damage of burns is also nice when facing bulkier teams. Fairly standard defensive rotom set, Hydro is mandatory on every rotom-w set, volt switch helps him keep momentum, which is extremely important to the team, and forms a nice volt-turn core with Landorus and Sylveon (baton pass isn’t voltturn but close enough). Wil-o-wisp is for crippling physical attackers, and again, the residual damage is nice when facing pokemon it can’t really touch such as the lati’s. Chesto resto is used over lefties/pain split because I find pain split to be fairly unreliable, even though losing leftovers sucks, I like rotom to be able to reliably heal itself so it can check problematic pokemon throughout the game. Obviously, avoid knock off if at all possible before you use your berry, as essentially you’ve then wasted a moveslot, as using rest without the chesto is a HUGE momentum killer.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Next up we have the Scarfed landorus-T, who is my teams secondary revenge killer who can outspeed some boosted threats that Alakazam may not be able to, such as +1 Charizard X and opposing Scarfed landorus. I went with this over something like Garchomp as I really wanted a scarf user who could retain momentum. As mentioned before, it also is a backup check to physical attackers that rotom may be too weak to handle, and is the second part of this team’s psuedo volt-turn core. Earthquake, Stone edge, and U-turn are fairly standard for Scarfed Landorus, and I went with hp ice in the last slot because it acts as a great lure to opposing landorus and gliscor, who can be nuisances to the rest of my team, barring Rotom, but I usually need him as healthy has possible.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Again, my team needed priority and something to handle bulky psychics, and that’s exactly where this Scizor excels. He acts as yet another revenge killer to threats such as belly drum azumarill, who even though is hard pressed to set up against my team, if it does, I otherwise might as well just click the x button if I didn't have scizor. For the most part, Scizor is also my main physical sweeper, as Landorus doesn’t like locking himself into earthquake early on in the game, and Terrakion usually goes down somewhat early, unless I don’t really need rocks up or my opponent has a bisharp or chansey. Bullet punch is required on any Scizor, Swords dance allows him to muscle his way through defensive teams, and also gives him enough power to OHKO most offensive pokemon who don’t resist bullet punch. Bug bite is the strong STAB of choice, as it lets him do his other main job, destroy psychic types. Superpower is for the steel types who resist the STAB Combo, and also hits some other threats who resist his stabs neutrally, such as Keldeo and Charizard X. The evs are to outspeed 44 Rotom-w, so I can smack him with a potentially boosted bug bite before it can move.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

This thing is such a nuke, like, seriously. Metagross thinks he can get a free switch in? Half of his hp gone TO A RESISTED MOVE. That’s a metagross people, who is very bulky, and that’s not even if I predict the switch in and go for hp fire, which does a clean ~75%. This is also the third piece to my pseudo Volturn core, who checks dangerous threats such as AV Conkeldurr, Rotom wash, Mega Sableye, and Keldeo. This thing acts as my main wallbreaker, easily at least 2HKOing anything that doesn’t resist Hyper voice (and even some that do), or is named Chansey/Blissey. Hyper voice is obvious, and hits like a freight train strapped to a jet plane, Baton pass is to keep momentum against the few things Sylveon can’t touch such as the aforementioned pink blobs and Heatran, and also to scout my opponent’s main switch in to my Sylveon in situations where they have both a ferrothorn and a heatran or something, although baton pass usually gives away the fact that I am choice specs. The other two moves are fairly situational, Psyshock is to hit the blobs a tad harder than hyper voice in situations where I may be able to 2hko them on the switch, and also hits poison types such as Amoongus, Mega venusaur, and Tentacruel. Hp fire is there solely for Ferrothorn and Scizor, both of which can me somewhat annoying to my team, and luring them in early game is real nice. It also hits other steal types a decent amount harder than hyper voice, such as Metagross and Jirachi, but usually I prefer to just baton pass out of these unless they are in KO range, as they are quite bulky, so they don’t get decimated by only a 2x super effective hidden power. The speed evs are to outspeed base 70’s such as Skarmory, who is nice to outspeed so I can 2hko with Hyper voice (Or hp fire as spdef variants usually avoid the 2hko from hyper voice even with rocks up) before it can try to do some roost stalling shenanigans or set up rocks.

So yeah, there it is. First post in a while, so if I made any mistakes, don't be afraid to correct me on them (Thanks Joey :P). This team has been fairly successful, and I hope you will all give some good feedback to improve it further :)

Last edited:
I don't know what are you hitting with Energy Ball on Alakazam, but replace it with Dazzling Gleam.
Scizor should use U-Turn instead of Bug Bite for a slow U-Turn can bring Alakazam on the field with ease; U-Turn is not considerably weaker than Bug Bite against Psychic-types anyway. These are my suggestions.
btw, I really like your Sylveon set. It is really underrated at the moment but it looks very solid!

I don't know what are you hitting with Energy Ball on Alakazam, but replace it with Dazzling Gleam.
Scizor should use U-Turn instead of Bug Bite for a slow U-Turn can bring Alakazam on the field with ease; U-Turn is not considerably weaker than Bug Bite against Psychic-types anyway. These are my suggestions.
btw, I really like your Sylveon set. It is really underrated at the moment but it looks very solid!
Thanks for the feedback! In the early stages of this team, I actually did have dazzling gleam over energy ball on Alakazam, but to be honest, I really didn't like it. The only common target of it was Mega Sableye, but him coming in on my Alakazam just means a free switch into Sylveon, who can then force it out and smack something extremely hard. I like energy ball because, while you are right that it doesn't hit any targets the other three moves already don't hit at least neutrally, it hits some key targets for a lot more damage than his other moves, the big ones being Rotom-W (does around 75-80% to physdef sets, so it ohkos in the pretty common situation of him switching into lando-T's u-turn with stealth rocks on the field), mega swampert, who I can outspeed under rain thanks to swift swim, and other less common water types such as suicune harder psychic.

U-turn over bug bite on scizor does sound interesting however, even though its synergy with swords dance is not great, I do find myself losing momentum with scizor pretty often early game where setting up a swords dance is unwise, and all I can do against, for example against my opponent's obvious landorus-t switch in is hit it with a weak bullet punch or make a risky double switch. I will definetly give it a try :)

If you decide to use U-Turn over Bug Bite on Scizor, I would use a choice band set, as SD + U-Turn seems counter-productive IMO. Knock Off or even pursuit is used over SD on band sets. If you're using it for a slow pivot you'd want to remove the speed EVs too, as that will only get MegaZam damaged or KOed, as it's very frail.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team looks pretty solid, but I have a few qualms with the sets you're running. As stated above, Energy Ball isn't useful on Alakazam. However, Dazzling Gleam is't great either, since all of its targets are hit harder by Focus Blast. Really, offensively Alakazam doesn't need too much more than Psychic, Focus Blast and Shadow Ball, and would usually rather be running a non-attacking move which gives it extra utility. Taunt is a good option for putting pressure on stall teams, cutting down Chansey's recovery for instance. Substitute is better against offensive teams, it enables you to take advantage of switches it causes due to its high speed, and more notably, it messes with Thundurus (if you trace Prankster, you can Sub on the Thunder Wave, and you get a free kill afterwards). Protect may seem odd but it lets you mega in Greninja, Lopunny, Beedrill, Manectric and Sceptile's face, and lets it scout Chice Scarf users like Landorus-T and Keldeo. If you really want an offensive move, Hidden Power Fire should be chosen if anything. This enables you to get past Mega-Scizor, you trace Technician, take a Bullet Punch from full, and OHKO thanks to the Technician boost. It's also a more reliable option for hitting Ferrothorn. Which move you decide to go for ultimately boils down to personal preference, I would try each of these, however, since you're a little weak to Scizor (Rotom-W is a good check but loses to fast Bug Bite) and especially Ferrothorn (you bets check is Terrakion who gets murdered by either STAB) , HP Fire seems best.

Speaking of Ferrothorn, this thing is a problem for your team, you kinda want a consistent switch into it. You are also a bit to Latios, you can revenge kill with Lando-T and Alakazam, but it still comes in easily on Rotom and without too much difficulty on Terrakion too, and though Sylveon does switch in on Draco Meteor it can't take a Psyshock, and since Latios will be coming in a bunch of times Sylv will end up taking a Psyshock eventually. I would recommend a bulky Roost Scizor set, as opposed to Life Orb which gets worn down a lot by Ferrothorn and Latis. A bulky set can use Roost to negate Leech Seed damage. It also lets you better take on Bisharp, who if well played can be threatening to your team. You could either go for a U-Turn set which lets Zam and get in for free and form a Volt Turn core, or you could keep Swords Dance and use Ferrothorn as setup fodder. The latter makes you less weak to Ferro, but the former provides more utility so the choice is yours. That being said, you are still weak to HP Fire variants of Latios. However, those can be played around (like switching into Scizor and then pivoting straight into Sylveon to take the HP Fire) so it's not too bad, but still, be very careful.

Clefable looks very scary to deal with, yes, you do have Scizor but it can't OHKO from full. I think Heatran would be a very good addition to your team. Takes on Clefable and MVenu (also very, very annoying for your team, yes you have Zam but it can't switch in at all and everything else it countered or hard checked by it), as well as Ferrothorn. There are a few sets you could run here. You could go with the usual SpD set, however I'm concerned that it may not fit on a team like this and end up killing your offensive momentum. I would try a Choice Scarf set, it outspeeds most of the metagame, particularly Latis. However, it has trouble against MVenu. If you struggle against that thing, you could run Taunt+3 Attacks, you still hit Latis although you don't deal with them as well. Taunt also acts as an emergency stop to MSlowbro who looks quite scary for your team to handle. Heck, you could even run Magma Storm+Taunt which is a pretty fun set and usually beats Latis 1v1. As for what to replace for it, I feel like Scizor provides the least for your team overralDon't worry about BD Azumarill btw : you have Rotom-W for that. The only problem with this is that it renders you much weaker to DD EQ Mega-Altaria. However, Mega Alakazam outspeeds at +1 and can therefore revenge it if it's weakened, and you can also run an Air Baloon on Heatran so it's not all bad. Yo ualso become a bit weak to Rock Polish Diancie, but again, it can be checked and you should be okay if you keep your Balloon intact.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Taunt / Substitute / Protect

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability : Technician
EVs : 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 SpD (not sure about the Evs, feel free to adjust them)
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Superpower
- U-Turn / Swords Dance

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Flash Fire
EVs : 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge

Heatran @ Air Baloon / Leftovers
Ability : Flash Fire
EVs : 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature
- Taunt
- Fire Blast / Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions from both of you!

Not gonna go with bandzor, reasons for this are in the OP.

I really like a lot of your suggestions Albacore. Again, I do kinda like energy ball on Alakazam, but I suppose I should probably take the advice multiple people have given me and try other options. I really like how substitute sounds, so I'll definitely give that a try, and I'll try HP fire, protect, and taunt as well. As for the suggestion of a bulkier scizor set over the offensive one, I think that would definetly be an improvement, as you are right about my large weakness to Latios and ferrothorn. My one concern is it's lack of power, but I will definitely give it a shot, but something tells me I will like heatran better. I absolutely love that idea of replacing scizor with him, as it patches up a lot of things this team is weak to, like you said. I am really scared of how weak I will be to mega slowbro (and to a lesser extent, cresselia) if I go with scarftran, so I think I will give the taunt set a go.
I'm torn on whether to give him a balloon or leftovers. On one hand, leftovers let him switch in on ferrothorn and Lati@s variants without EQ or surf more consistently throughout the match, but on the other hand, without the balloon, variants of Latios with EQ, m-diancie and m-altaria with EQ like you said I can no longer check. I guess I'll give both a try and see which one I like better. As for Alakazam if I replace scizor for heatran, I think that HP fire becomes less necessary on him, as I now have a consistent switch in to ferrothorn and a good check to scizor as long as I avoid superpower.
Thanks again, I'll post on how the changes go later when I have a chance to test them!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)