My First RMT - Terracotta Moon

This is my first RMT, called "Terracotta Moon" because of Cresselia and Terrakion. This is an idea I got from another RMT that I saw for 4th gen, and I adapted it to 5th gen, with the idea that not many teams can stand up to two Terrakion sweeps. So without further ado...

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

This is my main sweeper. After using Salamence to destroy about two pokemon on the opponents team, this guy comes in and (tries) to destroy the opponent. When he is around 26%, I switch him out for either Conkeldurr or Starmie. Terrakion is also used as a late-game sweeper.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback
- Facade

I like to think of this guy as a revenge killer. After I switch out Terrakion, I probably will throw this guy in, mach punch whatever is on the opponent's side, and then drain punch or facade until he dies.

Tyranitar (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar sets up SR and sandstorm, really doesn't do much other than those two. It does make a great counter to the Lati's, though. He lets me bring back Terrakion with a 50% boost in his Special Defense, which helps out a lot.

Salamence (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

This guy is my "lead." With good prediction, this guy can destroy 2-3 mons before Terrakion even appears. Of course, that only happens around 50% of the time. The other 50% is about 0-1 killed. So she's really kinda a coin flip.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Spinner, alternate late-game sweeper, sometimes used to beat a couple things Conkeldurr can't. Scizor, and many Dragon/Flyings, for example.

Cresselia (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Thunder Wave

The reason Terrakion can be used as my main sweeper and my late-game sweeper. Because of her, my team basically has an order. Salamence to get rid of a good third or half of the opponent's team, followed by Terrakion, sets up Swords Dance and attempts to sweep, and when its HP is looking low, switch into Conkeldurr to "revenge kill' the current opposition, and just smash anything it can. If there are entry hazards, I switch into Starmie to spin em away, and let it kill things until it dies, but if there aren't any, I switch into Tyranitar to set up SR, and let it die. Cresselia to use lunar dance, then Terrakion to sweep one more time. If I still have Starmie, use it to finish.

This team has won me many games, and I love it, but even so, I know there are weaknesses. If anyone could point out some changes, that would be very much appreciated.

Hey man,remember me?we fought a few hours ago.

Your tyranitar lacks pursuit,that alone lets starmie and the latis get away for free,i noticed it vs my latios.

Terrakion should be scarfed or banded,its sweep can be cut short by scizor,when that happens you're forced to switch to salamence to outright threaten it,not to mention that it has great coverage and a band gives you a boost right off the bat,with the scarf you'll also outspeed the lati bros for a clean KO,starmie as well.

Your team is solid but it looks like it's weak to weather teams,the only thing there stopping chlorophyl venusaur is salamence and maybe cresselia,scarfed darmanitan is also able to drop everyone but conkelldur and salamence.

The thing with scizor is that it has to be weakened,LO hydro pump only has a 43% chance to 1 hit while bug bite is guaranteed to KO,it will die of recoil right after though.

if i were you i'd switch tyranitar with air baloon sp defensive heatran,it has roar,stealth rock,earth power for coverage and lava plume to take advantage of the sun,also grants you a nice immunity to fire,scarf terrakion would already take care of starmie and latwins.

what does cresselia do that blissey doesn't?i know nothing of cresselia.

looks like your whole team consists of sacrifice to the great god terrakion

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

Cool team. It's nice that you have an overall strategy to work with. However, I see a gaping weakness to Scizor, Dragon types, and Grass types. Your team has 3 pokemon weak to bug- and all of them play a vital role in your team. You also have 3 pokemon weak to grass- making Sun teams a pain to deal with. Scizor also wrecks your team; Bullet Punch OHKO's Ttar and Terrakion, while U-Turn deals a lot to Cresselia and Starmie, both who fail to OHKO back. Dragon types also seem problematic- ScarfMoxiemence can come in on your own Salamence, 2HKO your switch in, and then OHKO your revenger, whose Mach Punch won't do much. Cresselia seems replaceable- its ability to heal can be fulfilled, and its ability to wall and attack as well. To help you with Scizor, Dragon types, and Grass types, I suggest you switch Cresselia with SpDef Jirachi.

Jirachi @ Ledtovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful nature
~Wish
~Body Slam
~Iron Head
~Fire punch / Protect

Jirchi does a lot of things for you- it passes enormous 202 HP Wishes, and can wall Dragons, Scizors, and Grass types all day. It can also spread paralysis and flinch hax your opponent. With Fire Punch, it hits Scizor and Grass types hard, while Protect allows you to scout and heal yourself.

To help you with Tornadus, and to increase your effectiveness as well, I suggest you switch Tyranitar's set into something more specially defensive as well. A focus sash on Ttar doesn't really help, because with a Chople Berry equipped it is rarely OHKO'd.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant nature
~Pursuit
~Stone Edge
~Crunch
~Stealth Rock

This Tyranitar can trap and KO Tornadus-T, the Lati twins, and many other powerful special attackers. It still set Rocks for you- but this time it is more of a tank. Crunch and Pursuit are your main STAB moves, and each hit like a truck when used correctly. Stone Edge hits flying types hard, and is really important as without it you'd be sweeped.

Good luck! I hope I helped!

lunar dance cress is interesting, if you want to use it i guess you can keep it.
Focus sash on ttar is odd, and I would use pursuit. try sr/pursuit/stone edge/crunch or switch stone edge and crunch for coverage moves. The main thing is using pursuit and giving it leftys or scarf or band or chople or whatever (just not sash) because hazards break sash.
I'd change hp electric on cress. If you want cress in a supporting role maybe you could try light screen/reflect.
You might want to try moxie on mence so that after a draco or whatever you have an att boost.
Have fun with lunar dance.

Lunar Dance Cress is cool and is a good option for hard hitting offensive teams to get back on their feet.

The Problem

Alright the biggest problem for your team is from yourself. Why do you have Sandstorm? Seriously Sandstorm doesn't do anything helpful your team and will only make your Pokemon die faster. Salamence, Starmie, and Conkeldurr all recieve increased residual and will find themselves having a really small life span. The second problem is that you have no Steel-types to take a Dragon attack, which are all over the place in OU.

The Solution

My solution would be to put a Choice Band Scizor>Tyranitar and Navi Celebi>Conkeldurr
Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Quick Attack

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 168 HP / 188 SAtk / 152 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic / Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Choice Band Scizor does a couple of things for your team. The most important thing it does is allow you to revenge boosted Dragons so they do not sweep your entire team (as well as add a Dragon resist on its own). U-turn will allow you to switch in your frailer offensive Pokemon like Mence and Starmie much more easily. Quick Attack was chosen over Pursuit because it lets you revenge a wider variety of targets, which you need because you don't have a solid defensive core. Bullet Punch in conjunction with Quick Attack will act as an all around fail-safe for your team.

First off, this variant of Navi Celebi set uses Stealth Rock to replace Tyranitar's role of an SR setter. Stealth Rock is a pretty unexpected option on Celebi so most Magic Bounce users won't expect it coming in. More importantly, Celebi can defeat the spinners of OU very easily with the given moveset above (hits them all super effectively) so it can set up SR even when they are in. Celebi replaced Conkeldurr because you needed an additional pivot (in order to switch around more easily) on your team, and Conkeldurr/Terrakion had overlapping roles. Celebi will allow you to combat rain much more effectively and add an additional status absorber to your team. It can remove Ferrothorn quite easily with HP Fire for Starmie and Salamence to sweep later in the game. The extra coverage is worth it, but if you feel that Celebi folds to easily/needs to live longer replace Psychic>Recover.

Small Changes
  • Use Leftovers>Focus Sash on Cresselia. Almost nothing is going to OHKO Cresselia so it wil never make use of that Focus Sash (note that Cress would just die if Sash was activated if you still had Sandstorm). Leftovers will allow it to stay alive longer to support your team and tank hits.
  • Use Psychic>HP Electric on Cresselia. HP Electric is pitifully weak and without Psychic you will find yourself folding to the Fighting-types Cresselia would be countering. The only thing in the tier that HP Electric hits harder than Psychic is Gyarados, since a STAB Psychic is just as strong as 2x super effective HP Electric (90*1.5=135 vs 70*2=140)

If you are new go check out Battling 101. They have signups going on right now and can give you a tutor to help you get going into 5th gen. Good luck!

Hey man interasting looking team.

Ok so the first thing i noticed is this team has steel types. This obviously means that Dragon-Type pokemon like Salamence, Haxourus, and Dragonite become immediatly powerful with one Dragon Dance as they out speed your whole team and can hit your team members with powerful Outrage's or Earthqauke for Terrakion and Tyranitar. Brick Break will also hit Tyranitar hard Ko'ing it. Addtionally with two Psychic types and a Dark type this team is really weak to bug moves and Volt-Turn teams in general. A good way to fix this problem is Skarmory>Conkeldurr Skarmory gives your team a Steel type to combat your problem with Dragonite, Haxorous and Salamence by being able to resist there main moves and phaze them out with Whirlwind. Looking at this teams big bug weakness Rocky Helmet is the prefered item on Skarmory as it lets him punish U-Turn abusers like Scizor by damaging them more then they damage Skarmory. However Leftovers can still be used if you find Skarmory is not surviving as long as you want. Skarmory also provides your team with Spikes support. This enables your sweepers to have an easier time sweeping because Spikes takes of health from your opponent when they switch in. The loss of Conkeldurr wouldn't do any harm to this team as you already have to offensive powerhouses in Salamence and Terrakion Conkledurrs role is rather redundant because Terrakion already fufills the wall of a physical sweeper and fighting type pokemon.

I also agree with ThePilsburyDoughBoy that Focus Sash is useless on Cresselia. With Cresselias impressive defenses it will usually live more then one hit not to mention sandstorm damage from Tyranitar would break his Focus Sash instantly. Speaking of Tyranitar he doesn't really need a Focus Sash for the same reason as Cresselia he is bulky enough to live a hit unless it is a powerful Fighting-Type move for witch you have many pokemon to switch into for that Starmie, Cresselia, Salamence and definatly Skarmory if you decide to go with it. So Leftovers>Focus Sash is preffered for both Tyranitar and Cresselia.

I also see Lati@s as a big threat to your team because Skarmory can't stop most of there sets and they can outspeed Salamence and beat it with a Draco Meteor. You say your Tyranitar is a good counter to them but he isn't really. Because Latias and Latios can just switch out when ever they please. However Tyranitar can out right stop both of these pokemon if he runs Pursuit>Ice Beam Pursuit does double damage to any pokemon that switches out thus making Tyranitar an outright counter to these two menaces. With Ice type coverage on Cresselia and Starmie and phsyical dragons covered with Skarmory you don't need it to much on Tyranitar.

Lastly I dont see any real use for Hidden Power [Electric] on Cresselia sure it gives you pseudo Boltbeam coverage but i think you would be much better of with Hidden Power[Fire]>Hidden Power[Electric] This helps you alot against Volt-Turn teams because Cresselia lures in Scizor and Genesect which can both be dismatled by Hidden Power [Fire] This also helps you against defensive Steel-Types like Forretress and Ferrothorn so you can clear the way for a possible Salamence sweep.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet | Sturdy
Impish | 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Spikes| Brave Bird | Roost | Whirlwind

Tl;dr
Skarmory--->Conkeldurr

Tyranitar
.Leftovers--->Focus Sash
.Pursuit--->Ice Beam

Cresselia
.Leftovers--->Focus Sash
.Hidden Power [Fire]--->Hidden Power [Electric]

~Superpowerdude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)