1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

My First Successful UU Team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Organization Member XIV, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Hello Smogon. I have lurked on the site for a year or two now, and after experimenting on Showdown! for about 2 months with all sorts of different stuff, I have decided to make an RMT. As you can tell, this is a UU team. I feel that it is a fairly solid one, but I am looking for any way to improve it. Without further ado, let's begin.

[​IMG]
    Gligar@Eviolite
    Ability: Immunity
    Evs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
    Impish Nature(+Def, -SpAtk)
    Stealth Rock
    Roost
    Toxic
    Earthquake

Gligar is an amazing defensive tank in my opinion, and that's why he was the first Pokemon I chose. With an Eviolite, his defense hits 508 with a boosting nature and max investment if I am correct. Anyway, Stealth Rock, is fairly obvious, crippling many common UU pokes, such as Chandelure, Darmanitan, and Weavile, and he can use it with Immunity thanks to the tutor in B2W2. Roost is a great move that allows Gligar to get back 50% of his HP and lose his flying type, which helps against ice attacks. Toxic is mainly for bulky walls I can't really touch, such as Slowbro, Blastiose, and Cofagrigus. Finally, Earthquake is mainly so I'm not total Taunt bait, and allows me to do something to Bisharp. The reason I chose Immunity as the ability is mainly to keep Gligar as useful as possible, as I don't have a cleric, which means Toxic would suck.

[​IMG]
    Roserade@Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Evs: 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 SpAtk
    Calm Nature(+SpDef, -Atk)
    Hidden Power(Fire)
    Sludge Bomb
    Sleep Powder
    Giga Drain

I generally start off my teams by getting two walls down, so after my physical wall Gligar, I decided to add Specially Defensive Roserade. Just a note, I want to know if I should get rid of Toxic Spikes for Hidden Power Fire or Ice. Moving on, Sleep Powder is very helpful on Specially Defensive Roserade, and can help me gain momentum when I need it, or I just decide to use it for the hell of it. Apparently, Spikes is illegal with Sleep Powder, so I got rid of it for Hidden Power Fire.I went with Closet's suggestion of Sludge Bomb over TSpikes because I didn't care for the move. Finally, Giga Drain allows me to do something to water types and whatnot, and keeps me from being Taunt bait. Natura Cure is nice, and I might even put Rest over Toxic Spikes thanks to the status recovery it gives.

[​IMG]
    Darmanitan@Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Evs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Adamant Nature(+Atk, -SpAtk)
    Flare Blitz
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    U-Turn

Realizing I now needed heavy hitters, I decided to go with Darmanitan, one of the heaviest hitters in UU. This monster's power is enormous, and his stats show it. Flare Blitz is the main STAB move, as it deals huge amounts of damage, being backed by Sheer Force. At the suggestion of DestinyUnkown, I decided to go with Scarfmanitan over Life Orb, and I think it's working better. Superpower is mainly for coverage, and hurts Rock types like Rhyperior harder than Flare Blitz. Rock Slide is also there for coverage, but hits Rotom-Heat harder than Flare Blitz. U-Turn is a nice scouting move and allows me to keep up momentum, scoring a super-effective hit on Pokes such as Mew and Meloetta-Aria.
    Testing Earthquake instead of Superpower.

[​IMG]
    Blastoise@Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    Evs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpAtk
    Bold Nature(+Def, -Atk)
    Scald
    Roar
    Rapid Spin
    Toxic

Destiny also suggested this Blastoise, and I'm quite pleased with it. Scald is a decently powered STAB move and has a good 30% burn chance. Rapid Spin is great, because my team would always seem to get worn down by entry hazards. Roar is great for getting rid of boosting sweepers and allows me to rack up hazards damage. Finally, Toxic
    allows me to break down walls like Slowbro and Shaymin Land-Forme.

[​IMG]
    Raikou@Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    Evs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Rash Nature(+SpAtk, -SpDef)
    Aura Sphere
    Substitute
    Thunderbolt
    Calm Mind

After reading Closet's suggestion, I went with SubCM Raikou over Scarf Raikou, and I feel it is working better. Substitute eases prediction a little bit, which helps because I'm not the greatest predicter. Calm Mind allows me to take special hits better and make my own special hits more powerful. Thunderbolt and Aura Sphere were kept because they're great attacking moves.

[​IMG]
    Snorlax@Leftovers
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Evs: 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Atk
    Careful Nature(+SpDef, -SpAtk)
    Body Slam
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Crunch

Destiny suggested Snorlax over P2, and I think I like it. Body Slam is my a nice attacking move. I can hurt Ghosts with Crunch, which makes them more afraid to switch in. Body Slam is nice and can help with parahax. Rest is because I need recovery (Trollfreak, why do you not give Snorlax Slack Off!) and Sleep Talk helps me fight even when I am asleep.

Well, that's my team guys. I am always looking forwards to criticism and possible improvements, and I hope I get a lot of it. Here's the importable. Edits are in red.

Importable for all you thieves. Nah (open)

Gligar @ Eviolite
    Trait: Immunity
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic

Roserade @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Sleep Powder
    - Giga Drain

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Rock Slide
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic
    - Roar

Raikou @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Rash Nature
    IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt
    - Aura Sphere

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Careful Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Whirlwind
  2. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Threat List:

Heracross: Unless it's sleeping and I don't have either Raikou or Gligar, I'm screwed.

Durant: CB Hustle Boosted moves of choice for each team member OHKOs everyone except Gligar. Ouch.

I'll post more as I keep playing, and see if there's anything that destroys nearly or completely everything.

Sableye: Trolling my team as I post this.

Weavile: Swords Dance, Ice Shard, and Brick Break equals almost swept.

Rain in General: Just got my ass handed to me by it.
  3. Iminyourcloset

Iminyourcloset OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Hm.. Verry interesting. Honestly, I'm kinda in a rush, so I'll just post a couple of things.
    Mainly: I think You should make Roserade more offensive; I feel like it can kill your momentum sometimes... But that's just me... Anyway, I say try Sludge Bomb > T-Spikes, or, if you really want T-spikes, make Porygon2 more offensive.
    Also, Scarf Raikou seems a bit like overkill; Y not SubCM? that could help a bit with threats. That's all I really see wrong with this team; Good Luck, sorry for crappy post ):
  4. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

No problem. I'll try out your suggestions, but I am deifinitely getting rid of TSpikes for Sludge Bomb. As for Raikou, I may do that and change Darmanitan to a scarfer and see how that works.

Testing ImInYourCloset's suggestions now.

EDIT:Changing Darmanitan back to Life Orb. Choice Scarf's power drop is too noticeable. Could 2HKO Snorlax with LO Flare Blitz, but couldn't even 3HKO with Scarf.

Keeping Closet's suggestion of SubCM Raikou and Sludge Bomb>TSpikes on Roserade
  5. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Per RMT rules, Bump.
  6. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey,

This team seems pretty nice, but I have some ideas that may help you to improve it, as your team has some flaws that need to be fixed. The first problem I have noticed is the weakness to Fire type pokemon like Darmanitan, as well as Kingdra, which has an easy time sweeping your team in the right circunstances. Your team is also weak to entry hazards, as you will be switching a lot due to the defensive nature of the team. The best way of solving those problems would be using Blastoise instead of Nidoking. Blastoise gives you a check to those Fire types, as well as other troublesome pokemon like Weavile and Kingdra, while also supporting your team via Rapid Spin. Set:

Blastoise@Leftovers | Rain Dish
    Bold Nature | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Scald / Ice Beam / Rapid Spin / Roar

The other problem of the team is the big weakness to Raikou, and other set up sweepers and fast pokemon like Azelf, Life Orb Mienshao or Nasty Plot Mew. There are 2 things that you can do to alleviate this problem, the first one is changing Darmanitan's item to Choice Scarf, which will turn Darmanitan into a dangerous late game sweeper and revenge killer, while the second one is changing one of Porygon2 moves (preferably Toxic) to Psych Up to avoid being set up on by Raikou. Another thing you could try is using Snorlax instead of Porygon2, as it gives you a more reliable Chandelure (fuck Flame Body) and Raikou check, but this is up to you.
  7. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Thanks for the rate. Definitely agree with what you said. Will test Snorlax and Blastoise when I have the time. Again, thanks.

Gonna edit in Blastiose and Snorlax tomorrow, too tired now.

EDIT: Haven't seen this much attention in awhile. Feel free to give any criticism/comments.
  8. Ernesto

Ernesto is a motionless pedophile
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

Nice team!! The two Toxic Stalling NFEs can really do a number on opponents.

Right now, it seems to me that Flame Body Chandelure can sweep your team, be it Choice variants with Trick or SubSplit Chandy. However, it doesn't have many opportunities to switch in, outside of Roserade or a predicted Darm U-Turn (since Flare Blitz will 2HKO it). You'll need to play carefully against it - you're probably gonna realize it's not Flash Fire when it doesn't switch into Darm.
    SD Heracross can also attempt to sweep you, but I guess you can revenge it with Raikou or stall it for Toxic/Burn damage. Maybe you could try Aerial Ace on Gligar so it doesn't become set up fodder?

Those two are off the top of my head. I guess SubCM Raikou can also threaten to sweep you if it's given time to set up, but I guess you could say the same for your own Raikou.

Two things, is it worth running Superpower instead of Earthquake on Darmanitan? Is there anything specific that it hits harder? Keep in mind that it lowers your attack after the first hit. Also, U-Turn on LO Darm always seemed so wrong to me. The Pokemon is already SR weak, it doesn't need to lose an extra 10% for scouting the opponent's move... If you really want to use it, I'd advice you to try ScarfManitan, which allows you to revenge things like Scarf Heracross, Rotom-H and Weavile if you can't deal with them with your number one answer.

Also, small nitpick, but Roserade's moveset is illegal. Spikes and Sleep Powder are both egg moves and can't be used together — I don't know why PS! still has that issue.

Otherwise, cool team!
  9. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Thanks, was too tired to edit last night, gonna do it now.

EDIT: UGH, fine, I'll use, HP Fire.
  10. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Bump.

EDIT: Requesting the thread be locked due a lack of activity.
  11. Red M

Red M

If Blastoise has Roar, I don't think Snorlax needs Whirlwind. Give it Crunch if you're worried about ghosts.
  12. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Thanks. Finally some activity.
  13. Purple Grind

Purple Grind

I'd suggest changing your roserade to an offensive roserade. Something like:
    252 spa 252 spe 4 hp @life orb
    hp fire/leaf storm/sleep powder/sludge bomb.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)