1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My First Team (OU Trick Room)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Inappropriate Username, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Inappropriate Username

Inappropriate Username

Hey, what’s up? I’m here with my second team. It’s Trick Room! I’m really happy with this one, as most people don’t see it coming. Even though the “Item Clause” isn’t in effect, I’m glad there aren’t any repeats [as of Original Post, 6/20/12]. It’s just a pet peeve. ​

…Yeah, OK. I know what you’re here for. Imma post the team now.​

AT A GLANCE:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    I started with Reuniclus, as most TR teams do. It’s got ridiculously great bulk and special Attack, and Magic Guard to boot! Since weather, entry hazards, and some other common lead techniques won’t effect Reuniclus, it’s usually my lead.​

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Before I got too far, a sun-stopper was in order. I had tried Chandelure, but it was just not working. Ultimately, I chose Exeggutor. I know what you’re thinking. “Wh-what’s this? Is that a NU Pokemon in standard play? Ha!” Well stop it. I have reasons. With access to Trick Room, HarvRest (a surprisingly effective combo of Rest, Lum Berry and Harvest) and impressive stats for TR, the choice was clear.​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I needed a third Trick Room user, but thought, “Hey, wait. I don’t want to be TOO vulnerable to Ghosts, so I should choose something without Psychic Typing”. Checking the list of Trick Room users, Dusclops really stood out. With an Eviolite, it becomes nearly unstoppable defensively. It wasn’t Psychic-Type either, so that helped. With my three Trick Room users accounted for, time for the rest of the team.​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Donphan fits its role in and out of Trick Room. It’s part of why I chose it. The other parts are Stealth Rock support, Rapid Spin support, Priority, and 100 Base Attack, 100 Base Power Ground-STAB Earthquake. Also, some physical bulk is always nice.​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I had 2 Specials, a Physically attacking Supporter, and a Night Shade user. I needed some more physical hitters! Searching upon the magical scrolls of the Internet, I looked up Escavalier. It gave me a bunch of pages for Trick Room, so yes: Escavalier IS the definition of Trick Room. 20 Base Speed, 135 Attack, 105 in BOTH defenses? Yes, please! Plus, the resistance list is huge.​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sunlight and Volcarona still went through me like a hot knife through melted butter. Yes, MELTED. 6-0’s everywhere. That’s where Heatran steps in. Using its specially defensive set, but no Speed investment, did the trick, allowing me to turn the tables on that moth. I (with the help of someone who figured it out) discovered an IV spread that required only 2 Speed IV’s for HP Ice with 70 BP --- Flawless otherwise! Will-O-Wisp Phazing helped too, as it also spread Stealth Rock damage everywhere. Later on, I added Snorlax, as the Dr. Ciel had suggested. He better walls Volcarona, cooling down the knife, and the butter, making it a bit harder to cut through. Like cutting through frozen butter. I don't mean whipped butter, either. Not havnig to worry about HP Ground is like lifting the weight of a Snorlax of my shoulders. Plus, the Curselax set can actually lead to a sweep or two.

[FUTURE TEAM CHANGES GO HERE]​

IN-DEPTH:

[​IMG]@ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 176 HP / 252 SAtk / 80 SDef
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    Trick Room Reuniclus. Ripped right out of Smogon’s pages. Trick Room makes slow Pokes fast, and vice-versa. It’s the ground on which the success of my entire team stands, with the loose dirt slowly being packed down. Psyshock is a weird move, but I prefer it, as Reuniclus can still destroy Blisseys and other special walls with it. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball go hand in hand, creating a nearly unstoppable combination. The former helps to eradicate Steel-Types, so long as it hits. The latter deals with other Reuniclus, or Ghosts.​

[​IMG]@ Lum Berry
    Trait: Harvest
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    - Trick Room
    - Sleep Powder / Focus Blast
    - Giga Drain
    - Rest
    Hello, what’s this? Say hello to HarvRest-utor! It’s very bulky, and also very slow. But the best part is that it ignores status conditions thanks to Rest and Lum Berry. Let’s pretend I used Rest. Oops! There goes my Lum Berry! But there’s a 50% chance that it will, indeed, come back. Trick Room is once again the ground upon which the success of this entire team stands. Sleep Powder means that, if the opportunity arises, I can neutralize almost any Volcarona by making it breathe powdered chloroform. Giga Drain is some nice STAB, which is not only reliable, but keeps my health up as well. Rest is the key component of this set, keeping me alive to fight another day.​

[​IMG]@ Eviolite
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Taunt
    - Night Shade
    - Will-O-Wisp
    For my third TR user, I decided on a wall. A slow wall. A very bulky, slow wall. The set is my custom set, and seems to work all right. Defensive walls like Dusclops and Will-O-Wisp work wonders together, so that’s on there, too. Night Shade means free 100 damage, like Seismic Toss, and makes up for 70 Base Attack. Choosing Taunt over Shadow Sneak was tough, since I’d be giving up Priority. But, stopping set-ups and stalls seemed superior over Shadow Sneak for this specific set.​

[​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    Look, it’s Rapid Spin Donphan! Cue the orchestra. Yeah, you’ve seen it before. Stealth Rock is a great way to rack up damage, and knocks pesky Volcarona down to half, just by switching in. Rapid Spin helps deal with Rocks and spikes on my half of the field, albeit nobody on this team is weak to Rock. Ice shard is for Priority attacking, which helps when you’ve only got 50 Base Speed. To round it all off, you got an incredible 100 Base Power, STAB Earthquake. As we all know, Ground- is one of the best offensive types in the game. The EV’s are experimental, as I’m trying to combine bulk and power as perfectly as possible.​

[​IMG] @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Pursuit
    - Aerial Ace
    The definition of Trick Room. Wicked Attack, massive bulk, 20 base speed. Its 120 base Power STAB Megahorn is a wrecking… lance thingy. Iron Head, even though it only covers two Types, is part of Escavalier’s abysmal Physical movepool, and is pretty strong otherwise. Pursuit helps to take down Lati@s, since they stay in and take a Megahorn, or switch out and take a then 80 BP Pursuit. Aerial Ace is generally unused, but since you can’t touch Fighting-Types otherwise, it’s up there. Choice Band is to keep the HP up, since I normally just ht and run with Escavalier anyway.​

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    -Fire Punch
    - Body Slam
    - Rest
    - Curse
    So lazy, so defensive. As per Dr. Ciel, Snorlax replaces Heatran to wal al of Volcarona's attacks. Most of the set seems pretty obvious, but I'll explain. Snorlax is slow, and bulky, just like Heatran. However, it has no 4x weaknesses, mainly to the moth's attacks, and therefore better serves the purpose of a special tank. Fire Punch is a filler. It covers Bug, Grass, Ice, and Steel, iirc. Some of which can really mess me up. Body Slam is a usable STAB, but I need to watch out with the paralysis, as this is Trick Room. Curse is like Bulk Up, but also a Speed boost while Trick Room is up. Rest is great for recovering everything, but then you're vulnerable for two turns. Snorlax, however, doesn't care, as it is incredibly bulky.​

Exportable Version ​
    Code:
    [CENTER]Claus (Reuniclus) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 176 HP / 252 SAtk / 80 SDef
    - Trick Room
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Uter (Exeggutor) (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Harvest
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    - Trick Room
    - Sleep Powder
    - Giga Drain
    - Rest[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Dustin (Dusclops) (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    - Trick Room
    - Taunt
    - Night Shade
    - Will-O-Wisp[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Donald (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Liam (Escavalier) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Pursuit
    - Aerial Ace[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Norbert (Snorlax) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    - Fire Punch
    - Body Slam
    - Rest
    - Curse[/CENTER]

THREAT LIST

Lati Twins: If Escavalier and Heatran are somehow BOTH defeated, than either one of these behemoths can rip me to shreds. Usually, I run into trouble because none of my Special Attackers can do a thing. Plus, Heatran usually dies to Surf.​

Volcarona: Huge threat. It can take half of my team on STAB alone, and if it’s running HP Ground, Heatran, too. If Trick Room is up, than Escavalier can try to Aerial Ace, but I’m not certain that will do the trick.​

Gengar: It can take down all 3 of my Trick Room users with ease, considering it isn’t up yet. Focus Blast makes quick work of Heatran, and HP Fire (if it runs it, which is surprisingly common) can nab Escavalier.​

Ferrothorn: If Heatran is gone, it dominates. Any of my Mons except Heatran will almost always lose in a 1-on-1 match with the Standard Ferro, and there has been many a turnaround due to it.
    [MORE THREATS COMING LATER]​

Any changes will be tested, and shown in red. Pictures courtesy of their respective owners, and sprites credit to PLDH.net. Also, does anyone know the “pivot point” for Trick Room? As in if the Base Speed is less than x, than it benefits from Trick Room, and greater then x, it would slow down?
    Go to town… and thank you! ​
  2. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Hey there. This seems like a very built team, but I'd like to make some suggestions that you can try. First off, when Heatran goes down, Volcarona rips right through your team, so I'd suggest a Special Defensive Snorlax in place of your Heatran because it can take Volcaronas special attacks all day. Heres the set.

Show Hide

Snorlax @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Thick Fat

Nature: Sassy - EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    • Fire Punch
    • Body Slam
    • Rest
    • Curse

Ok, thats all I got for now. Have fun and good luck for your team!

~Dr. Ciel

Edit: It's my pleasure to help, I've always been a fan of TR
  3. Inappropriate Username

Inappropriate Username

Thanks! I'll get to seeing if it works, and edit it in if it does.

EDIT: It's doing OK; I'll add it in.

Added Snorlax. Sorry if the picture's a bit big; I have no way to scale it down on my Wii.

Anything else?
  4. Inappropriate Username

Inappropriate Username

Two days later, and still only one response. Is there anything else?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)