1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My first team: Sunny Delight

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by LordSpectreX, Feb 15, 2013.

1. LordSpectreX

LordSpectreX

Hi guys, I've played Pokemon for all my life but only in the last week got around into understand the competitive mechanics of the game. I've made a team on Pokemon Showdown that serves me well, and I would like any suggestions you guys feel the need to make.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

-------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Hydreigon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Mild Nature (+SpA, -Def)
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast
    -Superpower
    -Earthquake

The backbone of the team. This guy starts the snowball with his excellent type coverage. The point of my Hydreigon is to simply leave more people dead on their side than me when he faints. Which is why I take Life Orb and go full offensive in my moveset. Draco Meteor pretty much one shots anything that isn't Steel Type, including Polited. To remedy Steelies, I have Fire Blast. Even though Draco Meteor lowers SpA, since this is a Mixed Build, it means I can then switch to my physical moves after, surprising people by not switching (and Fireblast still OHKO's Ferrothorn even with 50% Special Attack). Earthquake takes a lot of people by surprise and beats Heatran, who causes this team a lot of problems.

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
    -Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Protect
    -Power Whip

My chief annoyer. His primary role is to punish Pokemon not priortising offense. Leech Seed and Protect setup, along with Leftovers, means that if the enemy does not do damage over the health recovered by 2 Leftovers and 2 Leech Seeds (hint:it's a lot), then Ferrothorn gains HP while the enemy dies from Iron Barbs, Leech Seeds, Power Whips and Life Orb. Stealth Rock is there to punish when they do eventually decide to switch out. I get Sassy Nature instead of Relaxed because I feel that Fire types are usually Special based and the most common fighting type move is Focus Blast.

In terms of weather, though it may seem strange to put him on a sunny day team, let's face it, Ferrothorn is pretty much always gonna get OHKO'd by Fire Attacks even if Sunny Day is excluded. On his own, he provides protection VS. sandstorm, and his grass typing helps him beat Rainy Day teams.

[​IMG]
    Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Protect
    -Scald

Another strange choice for a Sunny Day team, you might ask. Tentacruel has a huge role in the team. He clears deadly traps, especially the dreaded Stealth Rock. Toxic Spikes adds his own hazards along with Ferrothorn's Rocks. Protect allows for stalling and Scald is mainly used to apply Burning and a STAB.

First off, Tentacruel synergises fantastically with Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn can safely retreat to Tentacruel if a fire or strong Fighting type comes out. Thanks to his very high SpD and typing resistence, fire types will harm him little and only STAB physical Fighting type moves will make him wince. Likewise, Leech Seed benefits Tentacruel massively, allowing him more time to stall and cause problems.

Secondly, Tentacruel isn't really harmed much by Sunny Day. His Scald gets weaker but it's not really there for doing mass amounts of damage, it's for the BRN and taking advantage of Tentacruel's high base SpA in order to whittle down opponents. Why Tentacruel is really good on a Sunny Day team is because he's a great counter to Rainy Day Teams when they get the Weather Advantage. Rain Dish allows him to recover health, and his Scald gets dangerously stronger.

[​IMG]
    Ninetales @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    -Flamethrower
    -Will O' Wisp
    -Sunny Day
    -Roar

The crux of Sunny Day application. I use a tanky support Ninetales since I already have 3 Sweepers and still have some much needed gaps to fill. Flamethrower is the simple STAB move for taunt users especially. Will O' Wisp is great for the burn and reducing the enemy's Attack. Sunny Day is including for emergency reapplication. Roar is there to finally fill the hazer role, allowing me to get rid of Stat Boosters and Baton Passers that try to take advantage of Ferrothorn and Tentacruel's stalling tactics.

It's important to note that I very rarely start with Ninetales. Because of my team setup, it's generally better to let Hydreigon deal with the Weather inducer and let Ferrothorn and Tentacruel setup and abuse Sandstorm/Rainy Day before switching to Ninetales and starting Sunny Day for Lilligant, Volcarona and Revenge Hydreigon.

[​IMG]
    Lilligant @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 60 Def / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    -Sleep Powder
    -Quiver Dance
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power Rock

My favourite. <3. The drill is simple, since her Ability allows her to go first pretty much all the time, she can Sleep Power the opponent and start Quiver Dancing. My (I think) unique choice here is Focus Sash. This reduces the danger of the opponent waking up randomly from Sleep and OHKO'ing Lilligant. It means I can safely spam Quiver Dance until the opponent wakes up, then react to it with another Stun Powder and can proceed to start Sweeping with my enhanced amount of Quiver Dances (and hopefully get most of my health back with Giga Drain). Hidden Power Rock is chosen to deal with Volcarona, along with allowing Lilligant to hit most pokemon neutral, which, thanks to Quiver Dance, is all she generally needs.

[​IMG]
    Volcarona @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 240 HP / 216 SpA / 52 Spe
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    -Roost
    -Quiver Dance
    -Bug Buzz
    -Fiery Dance

Volcarona is my ultimate late game sweeper. With most pokemon on either side dead, Volcarona can likely survive 1 hit from the limited choice of moves on the enemy side in order to start a Quiver Dance>Roost loop. Thanks to Leftovers, as long as Volcarona doesn't take more than around 54% damage per turn (decreasing each turn if SpA thanks to Quiver Dance) then she can pretty much seal the game. If Ferrothorn applies Leech Seed and tricks the opponent into doing a Power Up or a switch on the next turn with Protect, Volcarona can come in and sweep up completely from one mistake.

SELF INSIGHTED PROBLEMS

The biggest problem I feel, is Heatran. His Flame Body makes all my fire type attacks useless. He annihilates everyone on my team except for Hydreigon, and only Hydreigon has the power to beat him with Earthquake and Superpower, unless Lilligant gets powerful and uses Hidden Power Rock on him. Hydreigon dying prematurely in general sets this team very far behind and forces me to play extremely effectively with my stallers in order to just make the game Neutral again.

-------------------------

Well that's my team. Hope you found it interesting at least. Any feedback and criticism would be great! Thanks for reading!
  2. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Hey!

notes for rate! :) (open)

move 1 | move 2 = move1 or move 2
    move 1 / move 2 = move1 and move2

Terrakion (especially banded or SubSD variants) seem like a huge issue for this team. DD Dragonite can set up on virtually anything and with Fire Punch sweep. It seems Heatran walls and kills everything bar that Hydregion, but its added fighting weakness is certainly not helping you. DeoD archetypes seem like a big issue as well.

First, I'm going to recommend you get rid of that Hydregion. Why use Hydregion when you can use LO Latios instead! It also gets EQ, better speeds, and it checks Terrakion (if ever so slightly). You can use either or these EV spreads: (Naive / Hasty) 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe; or, 96 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe. 96 atk investment guarantees a 2HKO on Jirachi and Tyranitar; OHKO on Heatran, but you lose out on SpA, while the other spread should 2-3HKO Jirachi and Tyranitar and 2-OHKOs Heatran (assuming you can weaken them a bit early game you don't have to sacrifice any power). While Latias seems like it could work; it can't run EQ since its base power is lower than Latios, which is why Latios is used over Latias. Latias' famed bulk isn't needed anyway since Tenta can easily beat most Keldeo, and Tenta alongside Latios should be more than enough of a check to Terrakion. Ferrothorn can sponge rain hits anyway so Latias' bulk won't be needed (this was mostly mentioned just in case another rater decides to suggest LO Latias; I suggested Latios for a reason ;]).

By changing Tenta's nature to Timid, you should be able to outpace Adamant Breloom. I would also change the set itself to SubToxic Tenta. While it doesn't have the recovery it has in rain, its a bit more reliable than TS since your not really abusing hazards in any way so TS is kinda moot. I would use Substitute / Toxic / Sludge Bomb | Scald / Rapid Spin, keep your EVs but change the nature as I mentioned. Sludge Bomb can hit Breloom (letting LO Breloom get +2 on Ferrothorn could lead to you sacking lots of teammates to kill it).

Since you already have a QD sweeper in Volcarona, I would go with Venusaur as the Chloro abuser instead. It's more powerful, has more or less the same speed tier, and it gets better coverage (while also allowing you to use Scald on Tenta since this beats Breloom). I would use Timid (I'll give you EVs towards end) with Growth | Sleep Powder / Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / HP [Fire].

sets (open)

Latios @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    Nature: Hasty / Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe OR 96 Atk / 154 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

Venusaur @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyl
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: (remaineder in HP) / 252 SpA / (hit 265 speed)
    - Growth / Sleep Powder
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

With DeoD teams, you just got to try your best to pull of an spin. By running Lum Berry on Volcarona, you could set up on DeoD all day if you wanted to win the game. If you don't find DeoD overwhelming Lefties is a good option but Lum is great if you want a surefire counter to the bastard. Maybe pump its SpA to OHKO after +1, although proxies like this prohibit use of Damage Calculators so I sadly cannot help you find an alternative EV spread, but if you go to the Q&A Thread in the OU Forum, I'm sure you could get a good answer ^-^

Best of Luck
    ~ Shurtugal ~
  3. LordSpectreX

LordSpectreX

Thanks for the suggestions, I like most of them (especially the Tentacruel ones) and will put them in.

But I have to seriously question the Venusaur choice. And that's not out of my adoration for Lilligant.

First, you say it allows more offensive capabilities, but all it really is is Sludge Bomb. It's slightly bulkier true, but it really doesn't seem to be making any difference. OHKO's still OHKO and 2OHKO's still 2OHKO. Growth also raises only 2 stats as opposed to Quiver Dance's 3. And even then, one of the stats is COMPLETELY useless, whereas Quiver Dance raises 2 important stats along with 1 useful one.

So to be honest, I don't see why giving up Quiver Dance and a bit of Speed and Damage is worth a minute amount of bulk and Sludge Bomb.
  4. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Venusaur has better typing to check Keldeo, Breloom, and Terrakion. Lilligant is pretty much a liability in comparison

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)