VGC My First VGC Team! Trick Room Terror

The Trick Room Team:

Hi! I've been in Pokemon's competitive scene for three years now, but I always played Smogon Singles. I decided to enter unknown territories by trying out Pokemon's official VGC format. Immediately, a Trick Room team appealed to me as it is much more reliable in Doubles than in Singles. Anyway, here's a look at the team:

Cresselia
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Psychic
- Protect

Cresselia is my introduction to Trick Room. With her natural bulk on both defenses, Cresselia appealed to me as a good Pokemon to use to set up Trick Room. Once Cresselia sets up Trick Room, it continues to be useful. Helping Hand boosts my team's ability to OHKO foes. For example, Helping Hand allows Mega Mawile to be OHKO'd by Sylveon's Hyper Beam. Cresselia also helps take down some common Pokemon, such as Gengar. However, Gengar tends to carry Taunt which shuts down Cresselia. As a way of dealing with it, I added...

Amoonguss
Item: Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Spore
- Giga Drain

Amoonguss is a great partner for Cresselia, using Rage Powder when most necessary. This move allows or Amoonguss to either take Taunts take prevent Cresselia from doing its job, or to take nasty Dark type attacks that would deal serious damage to Cresselia. Spore is a staple move, preventing things like Mega Salamence from damaging my team when Trick Room is not up. Giga Drain in conjunction with Rock Helmet allows Amoonguss to survive for long periods of time while slowly whittling down the opponent's HP.

Sylveon
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hyper Beam

Kawaii and dangerous is the best way to describe Sylveon. Hyper Voice is already a good move in Doubles, hitting both of the opponent's Pokemon. With Pixilate, Hyper Voice gains a good offensive typing and a great power buff! This buff makes Sylveon even more dangerous with Hyper Beam, serving as a last resort move for taking down a Pokemon that may wall my team. Shadow Ball is my way of dealing with Mega Metagross, which a lot of people seem to run. Psyshock doesn't see as much use as my other attacks, but allows me to hurt the occasional Mega Venusaur who is normally incredibly stubborn to take out.

Camerupt
Item: Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 140 HP / 116 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Everyone's favorite Roomba isn't a common Mega in the VGC metagame, but his excellent offensive coverage and ability to abuse Trick Room akes him a powerful asset to my team. Heat Wave is a solid STAB that allows me to attack multiple Pokemon at once, and the boost it gets from Sheer Force allows for often KOs. Earth Power takes care of Heatran, who loves to switch in onto predicted Heat Waves. Rock Slide, although not used much, is Camerupt's response to Talonflame who is normally immune/resists both of Camerupt's STABs. The odd EV spread allows me to get a 3HKO on Rotom-w and Rotom-H, and a 2HKO with the help of Cresselia's Helping Hand.

Conkeldurr
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

When entering this meta, I already knew that the most common Mega Evolution was Mega Kangaskhan. Mega Kangaskhan is often used as a lead, so I can't guarantee I will have Trick Room up. Drain Punch and Mach Punch helps scare out Mega Kangaskhan, allowing for my team to abuse Trick Room. Rock Slide hits both of the opposing Pokemon, and damages predicted Talonflame switches. Ice Punch is often used, as there has been an increased number of Whimsicott and Serperior users.

Rampardos
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch

Rampardos is often viewed as a troll creation; it has good HP and stunning HP, but everything else is abysmal. With Trick Room, Rampardos is able to take full use over its good ability in Sheer Force and attack stat. All of Rampardos's moves benefit from Sheer Force, and the extra Life Orb power without the HP detriment makes Rampardos an unstoppable force. Rock Slide is a solid STAB, nearly OHKOing anything that doesn't resist it. Zen Headbutt is my other alternative to dealing with Mega Venusaur, and the sheer power leads to an OHKO that is often hard to pull off against Mega Venusaur. Fire Punch takes out pesky Ferrothorn switch ins. Protect is more important on Rampardos than on any other Pokemon, as it allows me to lead with it alongside Cresselia, wait for Trick Room to be set, up have a quick sweep.

There you have it, my first VGC team! There may be some glaring flaws as a result of that, so I'm hoping to get a large amount of help. Thank you!

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Yo what's up dude, I know I'm super late on this lol but hey better late than never right XD. I'm gonna go through each pokemon individually and give you my opinions on them:
Cresselia: Using 252 HP 252 Def Cresselia is very inefficient considering how well-rounded its defensive stats are. 220 HP / 100 Def / 188 SpA with a Relaxed nature is the best imo. 220 HP lets you minimize sandstorm damage (which could come in handy lol) while the 100 Def lets you survive Knock Off from Bisharp. I will explain the SpA later. Also you're better off using Psyshock over Psychic since it hits Sylveon harder. Protect is alright for it i guess, however i don't really think you need protect on a bulky Pokemon like Cress anyways so i suggest running Ice Beam instead. 188 SpA in conjunction with those moves allow you to OHKO standard Landorus T with Ice Beam who threatens your team pretty hard.
Amoonguss: moveset wise it looks fine however for the EV spread, i suggest using 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpD since the HP lets you maximize regenerator health, special attack investment is not needed for amoonguss at all BTW
Sylveon: Moveset wise it looks fine however for the spread, i suggest using 116 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpA / 48 SpD with a Quiet/Modest nature. The spread lets Sylveon have a high chance of surviving jolly Mega Kangaskhan Return as well as letting it live a non LO/CB Scizor Bullet Punch
Camerupt: Looks fine
Conkeldurr: Looks fine however instead of Rock Slide, i suggest using Knock Off since, other than Camerupt, you don't have a reliable way of taking out Aegislash who walls p much most of your team. Plus you have Camel + Rampardos with Rock Slide so there's no need to use it with Conkeldurr
Rampardos: Haven't really used Rampardos much but from the looks of it, it looks fine lol. Love the creativity tho of Rampardos, it's kind of tiring to see the same pokemon over and over again XD

Well that's pretty much it dude, your team looks great! Hope i helped and good luck with the team :]

Rampardos: Haven't really used Rampardos much but from the looks of it, it looks fine lol. Love the creativity tho of Rampardos, it's kind of tiring to see the same pokemon over and over again XD

Well that's pretty much it dude, your team looks great! Hope i helped and good luck with the team :]
This guy knows what he is talking about. Seeing the same mons over and over again it's getting kind of tiring, makes the meta quite boring in terms of variability, and is not every that you see mons like Rampardos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)