1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My Humble VGC 12 Rain Team.

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Burgba, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Burgba

Burgba

EDITS ARE IN RED PREVIOUS THOUGHTS WILL BE CROSSED OUT

Now before I begin please understand this is my first ever RMT, so bear with me.

I've played Pokemon for what seems forever. A few years I learned about competive battling. So I did my research and came to smogon. I made a bad OU team. Then VGC 11 happened, I was ecstatic but my team sucked and when I say sucked I mean it sucked major penis. Being single elimination I lost in my second round against some dude. Later I formed a trick room team, and I was very happy with it. I did VGC 12 regionals with it and I won 6 out of 8 matches. Now I'm trying to create a rain team that will get me at least top 7.

BattleToad-Politoed @ Leftovers
    Ability: Drizzle (obviously)
    EV's: 236 HP/252 Sp. Atk/ 20 Spd.
    Nature: Quiet/Modest

Surf
    Ice Beam
    Psychic
    Protect

This guy is a must, because I need rain for this team to function sucessfully. Surf is a good stab move and it will activate absorb bulb. Ice Beam is to deal with the omnipresent dragon types that lurk all through out VGC. Psychic, I know what everyone would think, Why Psychic? Use HP grass or focus blast. Well Fighting types being pretty darn common, I decided to use Psychic to stop them in their tracks. Protect is standard in use for doubles, and that extra stall turn could mean the difference between winning and losing. The HP Ev's are for boosting the longevity of BattleToad while the Sp. Atk Ev's are to give BattleToad a more offensive presence. The few speed EV's are to outspeed uninvested base 70 pokes like, metagross.

Pineapple- Ludicolo @ Absorb Bulb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EV's:252 Sp. Atk/ 172 HP/84 Spd.
    Nature: Modest

Hydro Pump
    Giga Drain
    Ice Beam
    Fake Out

My buddy who is currently spongebob's house is a total beast in the rain. Absorb Bulb is to boost his decent special attack into 234. 200 is latios's max special attack to put into perspective. Hydro Pump just wrecks in the rain, it becomes essentially a base 180 move not including stab, while surf might deal lots of damage, even with a resistance to water type moves, it can still hurt Politoed very much. Giga Drain which has just gained an upgrade in BW, is a very good choice for a move slot, besides being a method of recovery it is a powerful stab move too. Ice Beam is mainly for coverage, it does lots of damage and can take down various threats including latios, garchomp, zapdos and salamence. Right now I'm in between fake out and protect. I could fake out the biggest threat, and have politoed use surf to boost Ludicolo's special attack. Or I could just have both use surf and have protect to defend myself that extra turn.
    The EV's are self explanatory. Sp. Atk to make the dancing Pineapple with a beak as formidable as possible and the speed EV's have been changed and HP has been added instead to possess more bulk while maintaining the ability to out speed non scarfed base 130 pokemon.

Ponyboy- Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EV's:252 Sp. Atk/196 Spd./60 HP
    Nature: Modest

Hydro Pump/Surf
    Ice Beam
    Dragon Pulse
    Protect

Yes. It is an outsider reference. It was either Ponyboy or Fabulous (he's Shiny). Anyways Hydro Pump in the rain is extremely powerful. Base 200 power without stab included. Surf can work too, and I was even considering octazooka at first. But I like the sheer force of hydro pump. However to help out toxicroak I may switch to surf instead. Ice beam for the same reasons as for the two previous pokemanz. Dragon Pulse is another stab move, I could opt for a hidden power instead but it works pretty well. Protect is a standard move and can be used to block multiscale dragonite a big threat to my team. The EVs are for making him dish out as much damage as he can with some bulk, and be able to out run jolly ScarfChomp in the rain.

Frogger- Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spd
    Nature: Adamant

Sucker Punch
    Drain Punch
    Protect
    Fake Out

This frog can tackle many threats, while virtually gaining back all the health he lost during the turn. Sucker Punch is a good priority move that can put a big dent in Psychic and Ghost types. Gaining residual health from Dry Skin and Black Sludge equal to 18.75% of your HP per turn, and it's partner can use surf giving him a total of 43.75% recooperation per turn. Black Sludge heals toxicroak and punishes any pokemon that would attempt to use trick on it. Drain Punch is a good stab move that heals this frog even more. Protect is to heal boost its battle time longer. Fake Out can provide a middle to late game switch for politoed, to bring back the rain, something really helpful. Additionally it can flinch a big threat like a Latios while another team mate knocks him out.

MetaKnight- Metagross @ Normal Gem
    Ability: Clear Body
    Ev's: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
    Nature: Adamant

Explosion
    Bullet Punch
    Meteor Mash
    Protect

Metagross which has a large move pool and excellent stats, sports a very good typing which gives him only two weaknesses, Fire, and Ground. Rain eliminates his fire weakness, so the only one left is ground. His team mates can easily deal with pokemon packing ground type moves, so he can wreck havoc. Explosion was a very important move for me, as Cresselia can be very annoying for the rest of my team. Cresselia, which can take attacks like a pro is used on just about 4/5 of VGC teams. Explosion can take Cresselia down 43% of the time according to a damage simulator. Then a team mate can easily pick cresselia off. Bullet Punch is a good priority move that gets stab. Meteor mash is another stab move that packs a punch and is really usefull. Protect is for if he needs to block hits while a partner uses surf. The EV's are to sponge some hits while being able to dish out a whole lot of hurting.

Thor- Raikou @ Thunder Gem
    Ability: Pressure
    EV's: 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd/4 HP
    Nature: Rash

Thunder
    Aura Sphere
    Weather Ball
    Protect

I knew right off the bat, when establishing this team, that I would want to put rain to its full potential. Using Thunder is a good way of doing just that, being stab, it can oppose other rain teams and take down various threats. Aura Sphere is mainly for coverage, but it could change if there is a better option. Weather Ball is boosted to base 100 damage when rain occurs, and becomes a water type move. In rain, all water type attacks' damage increases by 50% which essentially makes weather ball a base 150 water attack. Something not to mess around with. The EV's are to accompany his already good speed and special attack. The rash nature is unchangeable if I want to keep Weather Ball and Aura Sphere.

Please give me advice on moves, pokemon or different EV investments. Thank you, and I hope you guys liked it.
  2. thatmewdude

thatmewdude

I believe you should use ice punch on your toxicroak to get more coverage on these "omnipresent dragons that lurk the vgc game"
  3. Drifblim

Drifblim

Very standard rain team here, I guess Raikou being the only surprise

Politoed: If you are using Modest, put 20 EVs into Speed so you can outrun most other base 70's. Psychic could be replaced with HP Grass to deal with Gastrodon if Ludicolo isn't around, most of the stuff Psychic would be use against Surf can work almost as well and also hit their partner. A Wacan Berry is nice to live anything Zapdos or Rotom can throw at you, Leftovers works well if you can stall in a turn with Protect, but in the case of weather that might just be giving them a free switch to change weather.

Ludicolo: Fake Out is practically a must, but so is Protect. I used Ice Beam over Protect on a similar Rain team awhile ago and that usually did fine. Hydro Pump will be better then Surf if you are at +1 because of Absorb Bulb, if your partner doesn't Protect they can get hurt pretty bad regardless of resists. Hydro Pump at +1 in the Rain is amazing, OHKO'ing most Zapdos, Metagross, and Hitmontop.

Kingdra: I only just remembered I read that book. Surf or Hydro Pump is a personal preference, I guess Surf could be the better one. Because you have Life Orb, I would recommend Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse. Most things haven taken any previous damage will KO'd by a neutral Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse could often be less powerful then your Water type attack. This and Ludicolo could both stand to have a few HP EVs, they aren't that bulky as is, and not all of their Speed is necessary.

Toxicroak: Have Fake Out on here, probably in that lost spot or for Sucker Punch.It could give your partner a chance to eliminate a threat, or give you an easier switch to reinstate your weather.

Metagross: Looks fine

Raikou: He is underrated, but Thundurus can fill the same role better at least in this case. Raikou's limitation on Nature makes him critically slower, as something like Thundurus can have enough Speed to outrun non-Scarf base 110's like Latios. Thundurus also has Prankster Thundur Wave and Taunt, to support the team and prevent opponent's set up. Rain Dance is another option for Thundurus if your weather is taken down. If you do decide to keep Raikou, switch Air Balloon for something like Electric Gem. Earthquake is on many movesets but the Balloon can be broken and even then its use is awfully specific.
  4. Burgba

Burgba

Will do.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)