My LCQ Indianapolis story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't want to spend an entire day writing a war story again, so this will be much shorter than my Seattle story. Also, so much awesome stuff happened this weekend that it would be impossible to give it the chronicle it deserves. Hopefully those of you who couldn't make it have a chance to look at all the pictures and get an idea of what went down, and for those of you that were there, I'm sure you'll agree that it was a very special few days. For me, it ranks right up there with the JAA NYC trip in 2006.

On to the pokemon!

My first round match was against a guy cosplaying as Team Rocket. We shook hands and the battle was underway.

He led Jynx and Smeargle. I lead Infernape and Rayquaza. I don't have any Lum or Chesto berries and I'm not sure if I can OHKO him with my priority moves, so I am very worried about getting put to sleep here. I decide to Protect with both Infernape and Rayquaza to see whether his Smeargle moves before his Jynx, hopefully alerting me to whether it has Choice Scarf. His Smeargle indeed moves first with a Dark Void, and Jynx uses... Lick.

Lick?

I immediately proceed to relax. On turn 2, my Rayquaza Extremespeeds his Smeargle and my Infernape finishes it off with Vacuum Wave. Infernape takes another Lick from Jynx for miniscule damage and thankfully no paralysis. Out comes Alakazam to replace Smeargle.

Turn 3, Rayquaza OHKOs Alakazam with Extremespeed and Infernape OHKOs Jynx with Heat Wave. At this point, my opponent says "You're very good!" I resist the urge to say "Yeah, I'm a badass" and I say "Oh, thank you!". He brings out his final pokemon, Blissey.

Turn 4, Rayquaza Dragon Claws Blissey and Infernape finishes it with Vacuum Wave. My opponent was a nice guy (like all of the VGC opponents I've had) and accepted his loss graciously. The only damage I took was from Rayquaza's Life Orb and one Lick from Jynx.

My round 2 opponent was much more of a challenge. I don't know if he is a Smogoner or not but his name was Carp. He led Garchomp and Weavile while I once again lead Infernape and Rayquaza. Weavile is a pokemon that I had worried about, given that I lead with Rayquaza. I immediately knew what I wanted to do on the first turn. Rayquaza Protected while my Infernape used Vacuum Wave on his Weavile, which held on with Focus Sash. Garchomp's Dragon Claw missed my protecting Rayquaza, and Weavile used Counter! Special attacking Infernape surprisingly pays off here.

On turn 2, I made one of the stupidest moves I could have made. I tried to have Rayquaza Dragon Claw his Garchomp. For some reason I assumed that because Weavile didn't Ice Shard me the first turn, he didn't have Ice Shard. Weavile nearly OHKOed Ray with Ice Shard and Garchomp finished it with Dragon Claw. I don't know if I was feeling too relaxed because of my first match or because turn 1 of this match had gone well, but turn 2 spelled my downfall. Infernape's Vacuum Wave finished his Weavile and we're at 3-3.

He brings out Giratina and I bring out Palkia.

Seeing Giratina now, I'm really wishing I had kept Rayquaza alive. Giratina bones my team big time. My Infernape can't do much against Garchomp and Giratina, so I switch him out for Parasect while my Palkia uses Trick Room. Palkia takes a Dragon Claw from Garchomp which uses up Haban, and his Giratina Will-O-Wisp's Palkia.

My memory of the rest of the battle is hazy, but I already felt like I had lost at this point. My Palkia didn't last long and nor did his Garchomp, so it was eventually down to my Parasect and Infernape against his Giratina and Mewtwo. Neither of my remaining pokemon could hurt Giratina badly, and the fact that it had Leftovers and Rest/Sleep Talk meant that my attempts to widdle away its health were futile. I was able to kill his Mewtwo but I lost 1-0 with his Giratina remaining.

A number of my friends also lost in round 2, so I left to join them and my other friends who had already qualified for nationals at earlier regionals. Apparently my battle was on the screen so they had watched my Parasect battling valiantly again.

In a way, it was nice to not have to worry about playing Pokemon anymore so that I could just relax and enjoy the tournament with my friends, which we did. Our group did well with a number of Ducks and Smogoners in nationals as well as the final 16. Of special note is skarm, my Canadian brethren who made top 8 and got a free trip to Hawaii. We had hoped that one of us could be a Canadian champion of an American national tournament, and he came far closer than I did.

Anyway, this weekend kicked ass, both because of the Pokemon aspects and the extracurricular activities. I'll probably be at the Seattle VGC again next year and hopefully nationals again as well (although it might be wise to take the game a little more seriously and aim for winning some travel money). And maybe I can even win one of those trophies...

See you all next year. :heart:

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It's too bad you didn't bring a camera this time, but I'm glad you wrote a story! Now you can finish your stories from 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Next year, man! Next year we take it seriously enough to be competitive...

Was great meeting you in person, Arti. You're maybe the Smogonite I respect the most, was fun to hang out some. Hope we both end up at Nats next year in some capacity!

It was great to meet you again, Man. This time we were able to talk a little longer than we did at JAA 4 years ago. I still loved your usage of Parasect. Hopefully, we'll get to do this again next year when VGC rolls around again.

P.S. Those white Smogon T shirts are still pure genius. :D

Arti, it was awesome meeting you and hanging out with you. It sucks that we both lost so early, but I'm glad we both had a great time anyway. I look forward to seeing you again next year! =D

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Articuno, bro......i mean i dont know what to tell you bro. i am having trouble finding something to say because of how overwhelming your awsomeness was this last weekend, for now this will have to do
hrrrmmmmmm
articuno you were one of the easiest person to talk to straight of the bat, i was intimidated by many of the smogonites at first but when i saw you i just knew, this guy i can talk to and brake the ice :).

also hopefully there is a VGC event in canada next year but if not i will be at the first stop in seattle waiting to meet you again and believe when i say "I CANNOT WAIT FOR THAT"

Ahhh you got out round 2 as well? it's like it happens at each event, there's one round where a shlew of members go down in a single round ): Newark round 1 and 3, then here it's round 2. You're the 3rd person I know who lost 2nd round. lol

Good job at least. Don't really know you but I still shook your hand (I think?) for the memory. lul Hopefully next year it's just as awesome for everyone.

Ahhh you got out round 2 as well? it's like it happens at each event, there's one round where a shlew of members go down in a single round ): Newark round 1 and 3, then here it's round 2. You're the 3rd person I know who lost 2nd round. lol

Good job at least. Don't really know you but I still shook your hand (I think?) for the memory. lul Hopefully next year it's just as awesome for everyone.
I know I greeted you and shook hands with you after you told me who you were, so you might be thinking of me. Arti and I don't really look alike, though. I was the guy who beat your friend in round 1 xD

Haha yeah I remember that. You roared through the crowd "WHERE'S RORY?" when you saw he got 16th the first day of nats. :P Was very memorable.

xD Yeah that really stinks. He lost to TDS R1 at Newark, then you R1 at the LCQ. Bad luck, I tell ya. It was still nice meeting you, you were with the whole group and such afterwards on that first day right? I wanted to stay and socialize a bit but never got around to it, had to drive home. lol

It was nice to meet you Arti! I won't forget how we first met each other. You seemed completely confused where you were and where you were going lolol.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Its okay I'm repping Canada at Worlds! Perhaps you should fly to Hawaii for Worlds LCQ... you know you want to.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Late responses, but:

you're still a winner in my book <3
Thanks bro, let's take this winning attitude to Seattle next year.

It's too bad you didn't bring a camera this time, but I'm glad you wrote a story! Now you can finish your stories from 2006, 2007, and 2008.
lol, I'm pretty sure I still have unfinished stories from each of those trips. Also pretty sure they're staying that way at this point.

Next year, man! Next year we take it seriously enough to be competitive...

Was great meeting you in person, Arti. You're maybe the Smogonite I respect the most, was fun to hang out some. Hope we both end up at Nats next year in some capacity!
Right back at you tofu! I'm glad we were able to talk quite a bit during the trip as we always seemed to be in the same group. I'll be trying to save enough money to ensure that I can make it to Nats next year again.

It was great to meet you again, Man. This time we were able to talk a little longer than we did at JAA 4 years ago. I still loved your usage of Parasect. Hopefully, we'll get to do this again next year when VGC rolls around again.

P.S. Those white Smogon T shirts are still pure genius. :D
Haha, yeah our JAA conversation was pretty brief, I'm also glad we got to talk more this time. I'm pretty sure VGC is going to become a yearly thing for me so we should be able to again!

Roomies for life.
Roomies is right, but maybe next time we'll have to reconsider the sleeping arrangements to minimize accidental footsies.

Arti, it was awesome meeting you and hanging out with you. It sucks that we both lost so early, but I'm glad we both had a great time anyway. I look forward to seeing you again next year! =D
tad, the excitement you bring to VGC is infectious. You need to show up again!

It's cool Arti, I got your back. Weavile and Giratina can't touch Hariyama.
Thanks man. It's like they say, ducks fly together!

Articuno, bro......i mean i dont know what to tell you bro. i am having trouble finding something to say because of how overwhelming your awsomeness was this last weekend, for now this will have to do
hrrrmmmmmm
articuno you were one of the easiest person to talk to straight of the bat, i was intimidated by many of the smogonites at first but when i saw you i just knew, this guy i can talk to and brake the ice :).

also hopefully there is a VGC event in canada next year but if not i will be at the first stop in seattle waiting to meet you again and believe when i say "I CANNOT WAIT FOR THAT"
Dude, you're one of the most genuinely nice people I've met. I didn't really know you well before this trip but I'm glad to know you better now. Definitely looking forward to seeing you in Seattle next year!

Yeah, I remember we shook hands while lined up in the hallway. Maybe we'll get a chance to talk more at a future event!

also bathroom partiers for life!! :heart:
:heart: Fishy dear you are adorable. I am anxiously awaiting our next hug, and I promise to give you a run for your money in terms of squeezing strength.

It was nice to meet you Arti! I won't forget how we first met each other. You seemed completely confused where you were and where you were going lolol.
Hahaha, you caught me at a very weird moment. I had been trying to help coordinate people arriving to the hotel, talking to people on the phone, and not really knowing where anyone was. Glad it settled down shortly after that and we all went to eat.

Its okay I'm repping Canada at Worlds! Perhaps you should fly to Hawaii for Worlds LCQ... you know you want to.
lol oh man, don't put ideas in my head. I think my VGCing is done for the year. I'm sure we'll talk more strategy though as you gear up to put Canada on the map.

Go you for getting as far as you did! and yay for ParaLove!
Haha, well I wouldn't say that I got very far this time, but at least I traveled far to get there if that counts for something.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
lol, I'm pretty sure I still have unfinished stories from each of those trips. Also pretty sure they're staying that way at this point.
Yeah, fair enough man. What I've always hoped for, though, is for everyone who took pics/vids at the Smocons to share those in some way so that everyone else could see them (especially me, I wanna watch Fish's interview series again!).

And who knows, you all might be getting a Vegas story sometime soon...

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
Yeah, fair enough man. What I've always hoped for, though, is for everyone who took pics/vids at the Smocons to share those in some way so that everyone else could see them (especially me, I wanna watch Fish's interview series again!).

And who knows, you all might be getting a Vegas story sometime soon...
Aha, way to make me look bad by posting the Vegas story! Loved it though.

I am not much of a picture taker so I only have a few, but I'll post my 10 Vegas pics in your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)