My Little Pokemans: VGCs are Magic (Atl Warstory ITT)

go watch my little pony: friendship is magic right now

• ok

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • no

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • what the fuck?

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • what does that have to do with pokemon?

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • that isn't a question

Votes: 17 34.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Southeast regional is best regional

After 2 years of having batshit retarded reasons why I couldn't attend the VGCs, I finally had a chance to this year (albeit with my least favorite ruleset yet!). My bro, born in 2000 (Juniors division) was going to come with me at some point, but decided not to which might have cost us an easy 3DS (the Junior's finals were awful, or so I heard). I'll keep the intro short, but my BFF Tase(r) from Nashville came with a group of friends known as The PokéCamp to compete this year. Hide tags for added readability!

Without further ado, my team:

Just a standard TR team... right?

The astute of you will notice something wrong with mons 5-6, while the awesome of you will notice something right with all of them.

This team was something I made up to “counter” team preview. Aside from Zoroark, the only thing you can really do to fuck with the opponent’s mind is make them expect one strategy, then completely ignore it and use another one. This was the very idea for my team. With Chandelure, Whimsicott, Conkeldurr, Musharna, and Amoongus, it seemed fairly obvious that I was going straight-up trick room. The plan was for the opponent to prepare for TR by packing bulky mons or mons that would try to taunt me out of it, and also make them think twice before using TR themselves. If I had had more time to plan it, I would probably have used a Flight Gem Tornadus or a Thunderus over Hydreigon; alas, I didn’t have time to RNG properly due to my procrastinating.

The Leads:

“Twilight” @Choice Scarf
Timid, 6 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd
Flash Fire (lol)
-Fire Blast
-Heat Wave
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball

Nothing too special here, just a straight up scarfed set to score a surprise KO or two. Works rather well with the following…

“Rnbow Dash” @Mental Herb
Timid, 252 HP, 252 Spd, 6 Sp Def
Prankster
-Taunt
-Encore
-Helping Hand
-Giga Drain

Each of the first three moves won me a match by themselves, and I probably wouldn’t have won one of them without the Mental Herb. Giga Drain wasn’t overly useful, but it worked well enough. Nothing too special here, either.

The Backups:

“Applejack” @ Life Orb
Brave, 252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def
Sheer Force (ugh)
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Rock Slide
-Protect

I didn’t use him much the entire tourney, other than to mop up kills. I built him to work well enough in Trick Room against anything but Musharna/Reuniculus, who my last mon could take care of. Again, I had to settle for the inferior nature due to time constraints (my Guts batches were shit-on-bricks awful), so I switched my Burn Orb Guts set to the LO set.

“Pinkie Pie” @ Chople Berry
Timid, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Levitate
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse
-Protect

Perhaps the mishap with Conk was for the greater good. Without it, this set would have lacked its Chople berry, and I might have lost one of my rounds. Just a standard Hydreigon set here. I wanted a faster sweeper, but alas there aren’t many good ones that aren’t part of a legendary trio. With no time to learn how to RNG and not wanting to attempt to mooch off of another user, I went with this set which served me surprisingly well through the tournament.

The Benchwarmers:

“Rarity” @ Sitrus Berry
Quiet, 252 HP, ???
Levitate?
~?

“Fluttershy” @ Focus Sash
???, 252 HP, ???
~?

These were captured mons. I gave them 252 EVs in HP simply because I was afraid the opponent could see their HP Stats on the team selection screen (derp) and gave them items that I thought I could exchange whenever I wanted with my actual team. This wasn’t the case, as I soon found out, but they served their job of distracting the opponent well. I put them in my lead spots on the team select screen to confuse people even more.

OR CAPS LOCK

Group photo! I'm the cool cat in the bottom right (without the group t-shirt .-.) and Tase is the girl next to me, Falkon is the guy in the middle with the slime shirt

mingot accidentally photobombing another group picture - me + 1 pikafloat

I don't even know the name of this pokemon, it's just "wotter"

There wasn't a lot to do before hand. We got in line fairly late, so I was #372 (Shelgon, fffffff). In the line we met mingot, who is a pretty cool guy (not sure if he doesn't afraid of anything) and got our teams registered after being told how to no less than 20 times in the line. The first ~250 competitors or so had to sit down and wait a while before the battles could actually start, which I don't think they did until registration ended probably around 1:45.

Note: I led every round with Chandelure / Whimsicott with Conkeldurr and Hydreigon as backups. Details why are in the Team section if you skipped that!

– vs. Paul: Whimsicott / Terrakion / Thunderus / Haxorus

This guy was in line right behind us the entire way. He had a very fashionable yellow DSi he said he got imported from Hong Kong. From the moment he sent his lead out, it was obvious he was using the Beat Up lead, which I took advantage of by using HH/Energy Ball on Terrakion. Details are fuzzy, but I believe on turn 2 I attempted to encore his Whims onto Beat Up but he used Helping Hand on Thunderus first thanks to a speed tie, and I switched Chandelure for Hydreigon who took a decent amount of damage from t-bolt. From that point it was just both of us using helping hand, and eventually my Chandelure mopped up.

Verdict: 3-0 Killah

– vs. Greg: Terrakion / Mienshao /Amoonguss / Landorus

This guy was an older fellow who saw me writing down a couple of details from my last match (didn’t get far on that as you can see) and told me not to say anything bad about him or his team! I had my normal lead against his Terra/Mienshao. I underestimated him and thought he would go with Rock Slide/Fake out, so I HH’d and Energy Ball’d Terrakion. However, he protected with Terra and U-turned out with Mienshao into his Landorus. I was worried at this point; Chandelure was history and was the crux of my team. I encored his Terrakion onto protect and EB’d Landorus, who took around 50% damage and used EQ to KO Chandelure. This was exactly what I had intended; I sent out Hydreigon and on the next turn encored his Landorus into EQ. There was a strange glitch involving his Terrakion (well not really a “glitch”, his touch screen was malfunctioning and wouldn’t let him switch pokemon) so he left it in to protect. I was still worried at this point; he had a Jellicent on team preview; but thankfully once I KO’d Landorus he sent out Amoonguss as his last pokemon. Ended up leaving Terrakion mostly alone while cleaning up until his encore ended, with Hydreigon tanking a nice CC with his Chople Berry.

Verdict: 2-0 Killah

– vs. Brian: Tornadus / Thunderus / Krookodile / Seismitoad

I could tell at one glance that this guy knew his shit. He was a member of the Florida State Pokemon League who had driven up to ATL together much like the Pokecampers I met with. After team preview, he had led with the two legends probably expecting Trick Room. T1 I wasn’t sure what to expect, so I HH’d and Shadow Balled Tornadus, whom I deemed the bigger threat. Turned out to be a good move; Tornadus taunted Whimsicott who “healed” it using the Mental Herb (you should have seen my poker face through this) and Shadow Ball just barely missed the KO on Tornadus. Thunderus used Rain Dance, possibly because he had expected me to use a fire move instead. Turn 2, I Taunted Tornadus before he could Taunt Whimsicott again and finished it off with Chandelure, who died to Thunderus’s Thunder. I sent out Hydreigon while he sent out Seismitoad. We double targeted and KO’d the toad before it could move while Thunderus used Thunder on Hydreigon. Yet again, I was terrified his last mon would be Jellicent; yet again, I was wrong. Hydreigon and Conkeldurr mopped up, and I was headed to the top 64.

Verdict: 2-0 Killah

After searching for my group the entire tournament, I finally saw Taser finishing her match right as I did. Surprisingly, her even more last minute team had also made it to the top 64. No one else in our group had made it that far; one had lost to the eventual runner up (I think), Falkon had lost due to massive hax (freeze and 2 crits as he was about to win) in R2 while the others had lost R1-2. (Later we found that the guy that had won by hax made it to the finals). I might be being a little overdramatic here, but everything was moving so quickly I wasn’t sure if I was hallucinating/dreaming the whole thing.

– vs. Xavier: Conkeldurr / Eelektross / Virizion / Volcarona

After seeing his lead, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. I had been expecting a TR team based on the two mons he didn’t use, but neither of his leads could even use Trick Room. I HH’d and Fire Blasted on Conkeldurr (wasn’t sure if Shadow Ball would KO) and easily brought it down, while Eel flamethrower’d my Whimsicott for about 55%. He brought in Virizion, and I was sure that this battle was already over. I Giga Drained Eel and Fire Blasted Virizion for the KO while Whims died to another Flamethrower. I brought out Hydreigon and finished Eel/Volc off (the latter got a Quiver Dance thanks to a FB miss) and cruised to the victory.

Verdict: 3-0 Killah

I was honestly shocked that I had made it this far in the tournament. The competition thus far had been decent, but not great; perfect for my merely “good” team. My reverse psychology had netted me at least one win, and I was looking forward to the finals where more players would hopefully recognize that I was trying to use TR. Taser wasn’t so lucky; somehow in her battle, an enemy Hydreigon was slower than her Brave 0 IV’d Conkeldurr (Obvious answer is that it was a Fling-Iron Ball set, we think) and she had barely lost the match because of it. In the finalist lounge, I met a couple of people (TheMantyke, Synre, “Guy who beat Alaka” Harrison (ironically enough, he goes to my university and somewhat knew my roommate from last year), someone else from the FSPL, and a fan of one of my least favorite teams, Auburn. They handed out 3 byes, but no one at our table got one. The round I was least looking forward to was next: the round of 32.

– vs. Captain Falcon Tornadus / Krookodile / Volcarona / Thunderus

I knew this would be a long match from the first turn. I wasn’t sure if an Energy Ball alone would KO Krook thanks to my lack of playtesting this team, so I used Helping Hand to ensure it and hoped Tornadus would taunt me. He used Substitute, and the only thing that crossed my mind at that point was “oh shit.” He went out Thunderus, so rather than let Chandelure die I switched it for Conkeldurr. Not really having a better option, I taunted Thunderus. Tornadus KO’d Conk with Sky Gem Acrobatics while Thunderus blasted Whims for ~98% damage with HP Flying. Now that his gem was gone, I figured I might have a chance if a HH’d Heat Wave could KO Thunderus and remove the subs. In retrospect, this was probably a terrible move; I could have KO’d Thunderus while I had the chance and left the gem-less Tornadus for later. Thunderus barely lived and they double targeted Chandelure for the KO. I sent out Hydreigon and used Giga Drain to finish Thunderus, while Tornadus finished off Whims and I Dragon Pulsed it. He sent out his last mon, Volcarona, and GGs were given. One Bug Buzz/Acrobatics later, and I was done.

Battle video: 19-79577-63969

Verdict: 2-0 Captain Falcon.

A marvelous battle on his part. All-offense had been my biggest fear the entire day, and this battle proved exactly why. I could have played it smarter by using Fire Blast rather than Heat Wave on turn 3 and KO’ing Thunderus, but I would have lost anyway to Tornadus. For turn 1, I did the damage calcs for a non-HH’d Energy Ball vs. Krookodile; assuming it had a “standard” 90 Sp Def it would have survived the strongest EB with at least 7% health. Fire Blast had a small (20%?) chance of KO, but his Tornadus countered my entire team anyway. I don’t think I would have had a chance to beat him even if I played perfectly, barring hax!

and 7 and 8 and 9

Well, if you just skipped to the last round you saw I’m sorry to tell you that I lost in round 5. I stuck around and talked to my group first, but then I began to watch the other matches. Falcon, the guy who had beaten me, was the first person to win in the top-32’s, so he got to play the first guy with a bye (who was wearing very fashionable kitty ears) on the TV. I watched a little of the match, but he seemed to win fairly easily. Harrison and Synre each won their top 32 matches and went onto the top 16, then the top 8. I’m foggy on the details, but Falcon was again the first to win round 6 and the first to win round 7 and make it to the Final Four.

After a little while longer, the competition stage looked like this:
-Captain “Guy who beat me” Falcon
-Harris- “Guy who beat Alaka” –son aka Crow350
-Guy with Sunny Day team Edit: Aiya
-Guy who had ridden from Florida with Falcon (and I assume that they were good friends from the commentary)

Not sure if Falcon is planning on writing a warstory, so I’ll leave out the “juicy” details for him. Falcon ended up playing his friend in the semis, while the guy with the sunny day team gave Harrison a run for his money. Each of the two matches were fairly close and decided on the last turn(s), and the final match was equally awesome. They really were fantastic matches, and even if I were to write about them my vague details wouldn’t do them justice! (Plus the final match is already on youtube, go watch that for fuck’s sake)

edit:
I have uploaded the T16, T8 and Semifinals videos of the champion. I might upload the Finals video later

Top16: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kABRq1P5a-0
Top 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLJO2NiCpuQ
Semifinals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A91ODjE1GT0

tl; dr: Loads of fun, more success than anticipated, etc. Pretty good way to spend an afternoon, surrounded by ~500 late teens/adults that love a child's game :pimp:

Props:

~ Getting as far as I did in the tournament despite being my first VGC event
~ Finally meeting my BFF Taser, who made it to R4 despite making her team last night
~ Twilight for carrying me on it’s fiery, intangible back the entire tourney
~ Pinkie Pie for having the best nickname
~ Captain Falcon for winning it all
~ Contradictory statements
~ The 489 other competitors for being nerdy/devoted enough to spend a Saturday afternoon playing pokemon
~ meangot for being awesome and removing me from my special place in ICBB hell
~ Hide tags
~ The Pokecamp team for being awesome (also environmentally friendly by carpooling)
~ Props lists
~ The MC/host guy for stopping and chatting with us afterwards, including telling his story about losing to a six year old in Seattle

Slops

~ No one I played recognized my nicknames and I didn’t get to let the crowd see because I didn’t play on the TV
~ Food as expensive as the stuff inside baseball stadiums
~ Drawing the worst possible opponent in R5
~ Contradictory statements
~ My bro not coming even though he could have easily swept Juniors with my team/a team I would have made for him
~ Us talking bad about Alaka about coming to Atlanta even though he came in 2nd in Dallas (just kidding this never happened ;) )
~ The guy in the Tepig suit for hardly posing for pictures at all and only making one appearance
~ The multiple speakers around the finalists lounge so you could hardly hear the guy right next to you

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Nice.
Yeah, it's too bad you had to play the winner of the tournament round 5, but excellent job anyways!

Also, I just realized I was in your sig. :toast:

I'm so glad I didn't chicken out (of both competing and of going on the trip). It was a great time, I was happy to meet up with you, Mingot and Alaka, and I was pleasantly surprised with how I did. Plus the Masters final was epic. Congrats on making it to the Top 30 (29?) and I will definitely go next year, as long as it's not too far away. You (and your brother) better, too!

btw we will both be much more prepared next year XD

Your team really shouldn't've been almost all-male. Just sayin'.

Although yeah, awesome team. XD And congrats on getting that far~ ^^

Great read. I was the guy with the sunny day team who lost to Harrison in the semis, lol. I might try to get a warstory up later tonight if I find the time.

FRANKLIN IS NOT NASHVILLE
QQ ABOUT IT

Great read. I was the guy with the sunny day team who lost to Harrison in the semis, lol. I might try to get a warstory up later tonight if I find the time.
Oh, I thought that team was so interesting (though I was kinda wondering about the Terrakion). You really should write one.

I concur that you should write a warstory about your sun team.

Also Killah you stole my thunder, now I can't write a ragestory. Oh well, I'll just figure out how to counter my weaknesses better if we end up LCQing at Indy. I wish I'd had time to make my pokécamp shirt and be cool too.

Great time had by all, if only it was longer than one day. We should've fought at some point for the fun of it, also at least you can say the champ beat you instead of somebody haxing you out. :(

breh

強いだね
nice read, very interesting.

I lol'd at the Amoonguss and Musharna... Last minute, indeed xD

Iron Ball Hydreigon used against Tase also very much interests me. Also, the glitch with the Terrakion.

Also, I just realized I was in your sig. :toast:
it is my most favorite sig I have ever had

btw we will both be much more prepared next year XD
fuck yes we will

Your team really shouldn't've been almost all-male. Just sayin'.

Although yeah, awesome team. XD And congrats on getting that far~ ^^
Time constraints and what-not. Was hoping to do better than 1/6, but it doesn't bother me too much :)

Thanks ^^

I only saw a little bit of your battle, but you should really do one! As far as I'm aware you had the only weather team in the finals (though the guy I played R3 used Rain Dance) and most of us haven't been exposed to it very much!

FRANKLIN IS NOT NASHVILLE
YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE THERE

Goood read man :D good job at the VGC's
Thanks! :)

Also Killah you stole my thunder, now I can't write a ragestory. Oh well, I'll just figure out how to counter my weaknesses better if we end up LCQing at Indy. I wish I'd had time to make my pokécamp shirt and be cool too.

Great time had by all, if only it was longer than one day. We should've fought at some point for the fun of it, also at least you can say the champ beat you instead of somebody haxing you out. :(
Sorry x_x You still never fully explained what happened in your battle though! Or how a guy with such a bad team made it into the finals o.0

nice read, very interesting.

I lol'd at the Amoonguss and Musharna... Last minute, indeed xD

Iron Ball Hydreigon used against Tase also very much interests me. Also, the glitch with the Terrakion.
Thanks!

Iron Ball Hydreigon is curious, but considering several of the pokemon used in TR are weak to dark (Musharna, Reu, Jellicent, Cofagrigus, Chandelure) I could see how it would be viable, though it would only be slower than Jelly/Chand. Actually, a truly minimum speed Conkeldurr would be 1 point slower than iron ball Hydreigon, so it might not have exactly been a perfect Conk.

The glitch with Terrakion might not have been a glitch at all. They changed switching in double battles so that you have to click the pokemon you have out first, then click shift, then click the pokemon you're shifting to, if I understand it correctly. It's possible my opponent just forgot x_x

Hey Killah, nice warstory, sorry you had to face CF round 5. Youre right, the other top 4 finalist and Captain Falcon are very good friends(and me too, but nobody gives a shit about me :D)

I dont know if he will write a warstory, I should try to get him to do that.

Edit: and for your numbers, there were exactly 490 Masters

Thanks! Were you in the same Bobcats shirt as the champion? I remember seeing someone chatting with him towards the end of the event with that same shirt on.

He really should write a warstory, but it looks like you took care of filming his finalist matches though :)

Hahaha. Would the name of the guy who beat Alaka happen to be Anthony Harrison? He's a good friend of mine.

PFFFFT you managed to capture my friend in your second group photo! She's the one on the left with the red and white polka dot skirt

^lolus

anyways, good warstory. congrats on making it that far for your first VGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)