1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My original sun team.

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Twisted51, May 14, 2013.

1. Twisted51

Twisted51

So this was my first team I ever put together for battling. After many tweaks and such, it got me to ~1720 in the last suspect test, over ~200 games. I am looking for ways to improve it, most notably my water Arceus, as I don't feel he's being as useful as he could be. Some suggestions on another pokemon (or arceus form) to fill his role would be greatly appreciated.

This team is basically an all around sun team, not focused overly on stalling or offense. It utilizes a defensive core with a pivoting genesect to safely wall out threats, while bringing in scarfed Kyurem to essentially OHKO anything. It falls back on blaziken in the late game, using his tremendous sweep potential to clean up, or at least open up a large enough hole for the rest of the team to win with.

=== [ubers] Nelly's Summertime Grills ===

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Download
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - U-turn
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Explosion

Genesect is my workhorse. He pivots and provides all the necessary coverage my team needs. He's bulky enough to switch into plenty of hits, where he then uses his speed and boosts to quickly pivot out, or simply smash the opponent. I really like explosion on him, as it gives him a use for later on, after he's eaten too much chip damage. It also lets me dispatch threats that I may no longer have a counter for. For example he OHKO's Ho-oh, blaziken, kyogre. All of which can be a major threat if i lose 1 or 2 key pokemon.

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 148 SDef / 96 Spd
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Light Screen
    - Roost
    - Roar
    - Dragon Pulse

My kyogre counter. Can eat any special attack in the game. Walls incredibly well, while providing support to the entire team with light screen. Roost provides the needed longevity, and roar gives me a much needed phaser.

Arceus @ Splash Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Recover
    - Ice Beam
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Perish Song

Arceus water. I originally came across this set by chance on smogon. And thought it would be cool to run. Sun support water arceus. Unconventional but the reason was sound. Water/ice resistance, and protection from thunder in the sun. Strong overall bulk, lets her wall out plenty of threats with recover. The burn acts as my critical check against physical threats, primarily extreme killer arceus. While originally roar, I now have been using perish song, as it gives me a check against last pokemon calm-mind users which had given me a problem. It also helps force switches I can predict, giving me more opportunities to safely switch into blaziken or kyurem.

My Ev's give her enough special defense to reliably wall draco's. With enough speed to outspeed a large portion of the meta game.

Currently I've felt that he's not quite doing as much as another pokemon could. He was originally slotted to help with kyogre, but latias basically does that herself. Atm, ive been debating running a very similar set just on a different typing of arceus, for example ghost (to spin block/immune to fighting) or normal (can carry leftovers and fighting isnt overly common). But i'm also open to perhaps a more offensive option, or even a different pokemon entirely, as i can juggle my other sets to fill the gap, like for example potentially dropping fire blast for thunderwave on groudon.

Groudon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Blast

Groudon. The core of any sun team, as he is the sun. My physical wall, and usual lead. He acts as my rocker, while bringing tools to check particular problems and other leads. Earthquake is his stab move for overall damage. Stone edge counters ho-oh and rayquaza, while fireblast counters a number of pesky steel types, such as ferrothorn. Fireblast also lets me win in a groudon vs groudon mirror match. Not much to say here.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Flare Blitz
    - Protect
    - Swords Dance

The standard blaziken set. I chose adamant for raw power, though I have debated going with jolly for a faster setup. Comes in whenever there is an opening and almost always makes a hole.

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Turboblaze
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Ice Beam
    - Fusion Flare
    - Sleep Talk

Kyurem is my revenge killer and my special attacker. Draco smashes through pretty much anything, while icebeam gives me a more long term sweeping option. Fusion flare gets boosted by the sun, and has worked extremely well over the more common focus blast. The 100% accuracy is also quite appreciated. I round out the set with sleep talk, as it gives me a reliable darkrai counter, and I already have the coverage i need. It catches a number of players by surprise.

All in all, I really enjoy this team, however I find myself looking to make it better. I feel that my water arceus isn't being quite as effective as it could be, as of now it basically just baits out thunder attacks for groudon to switch into, or simply is used to wall out draco's. I feel as if there is another pokemon that could fill this role better however. I've tinkered with the ideas of ghost or normal arceus, or potentially dialga (which could free up a slot on groudon [rocks]).

I appreciate any constructive criticism, and would love to hear your opinions on what I should do with my water arceus.

Thank you!
  2. tBivs

tBivs

Is there a reason Latias has reduced IV's even though there's no Hidden Power?
  3. Twisted51

Twisted51

Nope, I must have accidentally put on a hidden power or something. I have fixed it in my team. Thank you for catching that.
  4. superstar

superstar

You know, I actually really like this team. Somewhat unusual but cool nonetheless. I feel like it will be effective. One of the issues I'm seeing is against stall. You lack a true offensive core, and you don't have enough recovery to win against stall in the long run. Ho-Oh is also a major issue. I think a good, albeit unorthodox, replacement for Arceus-Water could be Stallbreaker Heatran

This gives you a great SubRoost Ho-Oh counter as well as a good way to break stallmons such as Giratina. It also gives you a steel-type that can more easily take Dragon attacks.

You do become weaker against Palkia, but that can be played around. You also become more dependent on Latias to check Kyogre, but that's what she's there for. I think the weakness to stall is more important than these issues.

Set:
    Heatran @Leftovers
    252 HP/ 148 SpDef/ 108 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Att)
    -Taunt
    -Toxic
    -Roar
    -Lava Plume
  5. Twisted51

Twisted51

@Superstar

Thanks for the reply. I'm playtesting the stallbreaker heatran set as I type. I completely understand your logic, as my usual problems when playing this team have been giratina, and ho-oh. Oftentimes relying on explosion to deal with ho-oh, or sacking someone to bring in kyrum safely vs giratina.

I'll reply back with some thoughts after I've played with it a bit.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)