My OU Shell Smash Team

I decided to try I team I have never done before, a Smash Pass team! I thought it would be fun because, if done correctly, it can lead to a 6-0 sweep. I'm not an expert at this, so I would appreciate some advice. Here is my team.

Deoxys-Defense @ Light Clay
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 128 SDef / 252 HP / 128 Def
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Recover
- Night Shade
Deoxys-D provide DS support, which is really useful for Gorebyss, as it can set up a Substitute with a less chance of breaking, and sucessfully Smash Pass. It also temporarily increases my team's bulk in general. Night Shade is to cause some damage to my opponent when necessary, and Recover is for healing, needless to say. The plan is usually to set up DS, then switch to Gorebyss. The EVs are to maximize Deoxys-D's overall bulk.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 232 Spd / 252 HP / 24 SDef
Calm Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Scald
Gorebyss is the most important Pokemon on the team. The plan is to Shell Smash, ignoring the defense drops with White Herb, then set up a Substitute and Baton Pass. Scald is to get rid of any Fire, Rock or Ground type that gets in Gorebyss' way.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
The standard Alakazam set, well, kind of. Psychic, Focus Blast and Shadow Ball are the usual moves. Energy Ball is for super effective coverage, which may be useful. Focus Sash is the best item for Alakazam in my opinion, because it is so frail, and may prevent Scizor's revenge kill with Bullet Punch, etc.

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Roost
- Ice Beam
Kyurem-B is the Pokemon that will usually receive the Smash Pass. I used to have Moxie Salamence, but I decided to give Kyurem-B a try, due to its colossal Attack. Outrage is the key move here as it can OHKO most Pokemon and possibly 2HKO Steel types. Ice Beam is its other STAB, although not very strong, and Fusion Bolt is for coverage. I don't know what other offensive move to put, so I put Roost. The Lum Berry is for healing Confusion from Outrage, so I can use it twice before forcing myself out.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
This is Scizor. I personally perfer Swords Dance over Choice Band, because I don't want to be locked into a move. Swords Dance is for boosting when there is an opportunity, and compensating for the attack loss from Superpower. Bullet Punch and Bug Bite are its STABs, and Superpower is for coverage.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Keldeo is just another special sweeper, a good one, actually. This is the standard set (I think). Its Secret Sword can plow through Blissey, etc. HP Ice destroys 4x weak Dragon and Ground type Pokemon, and Hydro Pump is the power Water STAB.

Threats to my team:
-Choice Band Scizor: Can revenge kill Kyurem-B with Bullet Punch.
-Any user of Taunt, Perish Song, or Roar / Whirlwind

See my team in action:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4621760 vs. Baton Pass Team
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4622272 vs. UU Team
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4666492

Questions:
Should Kyurem-B have a Speed boosting nature instead?
What can Kyurem-B use over Roost?
Should Espeon do the role of DS over Deoxys-D?

Please give me some advice on different moves, Pokemon, items, strategy, etc!

Hey!

Smash pass is such an annoying strategy, but hopefully I can help you out and make your team better.

First, I'm not a huge fan of your sweepers. The biggest problem is that they aren't "stand alones" - which is to say that there are certain Pokemon that will straight wall them. For example, Keldeo will get stopped cold by Jellicent. Latias would also be a pain in the neck. Kyurem-b will have problems with Scizor, Skarmory (because of Sturdy), and Ferrothorn. For this reason, I'm going to suggest a slightly different core of sweepers. I'd like to see you keep Kyurem-b since it's pretty good. Add Focus Blast for the ever-annoying Ferrothorn. If you don't straight up sweep the other team, you probably lost, so Roost is useless.

Instead of Scizor, use BP receiver Genesect. I've been wanting to make a team like this recently, but I haven't gotten around to it. Your team would be the perfect opportunity! Use max Special Attack with Modest. Use enough Speed to outspeed Choice Scarf Latios. That is the most common Choice Scarf Pokemon. After that, rest the rest of your EVs should go into HP. For moves, I'd suggest Flamethrower, Giga Drain, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Ground. Blissey will obviously wall this set, but if you see Blissey, don't pass to Genesect. Otherwise, if you get the pass off, your opponent is going to be in for a long day.

For your final sweeper, I suggest receiver Sheer Force Landorus. Max/Max on SAtk and Speed with the moves Focus Blast, Hidden Power Ice, Earth Power, and Psychic. You know how annoying Rock Polish Landorus is right now? How about give it +2 Special Attack and let it go to town. If your opponent doesn't have Bullet Punch and Extreme Speed, they aren't going to KO you. Just hope you don't miss.

Finally, just a couple fix ups. Give your Deoxys-D maximum Speed with a Timid Nature. Use Taunt instead of Recover. Deoxys-D is the most prominent lead, and you can't afford to start off at a disadvantage by not using max speed.

One more thing before I go, try Taunt on Alakazam. Taunt gives you even more of an upper hand against Deoxys-D offense teams. They almost 100% can't deal with Taunt Alakazam.

Good luck!

New team with suggestions from undisputed.

I changed the team according to the suggestions I have received so far.

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Night Shade

Gorebyss @ White Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
Calm Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Scald

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Trait: Download
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SAtk / 120 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4719224 Landorus Sweep 6-0

Questions:
Why does Genesect have no STAB Bug moves (i.e. Bug Buzz)?
Are there any errors in my team?

I changed the team according to the suggestions I have received so far.

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Night Shade

Gorebyss @ White Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
Calm Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Scald

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Trait: Download
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SAtk / 120 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I will try this team out and post victory replays.

Questions:
Why does Genesect have no STAB Bug moves (i.e. Bug Buzz)?
Are there any errors in my team?
I would recomened using espeon over deoyxs as your screener as not only dose magic bounce prevent it from being taunted it allow you to screw with enemy deoyxs-d who can cause issues for this team if he gets his own spikes and Sr up as you have no rappid spinner, espeon will help prevent hazards and set up on mons and potentially get your opponents hazards out on his own team and this si especially good as you have 0 Sr users.

here he is

espeon@leftovers

timid
252hp 252speed 6 defence
reflect
light screen
psychic
baton pass - evades pursuit.

Have you thought about running deoxys with red card? Even though it is a screener it will allow you to put a lot more pressure on direct phasers(i.e roar and dragon tail). This is kinda risky though. Overall though I agree that espeon would do the job a lot better.

Then kyurem-B has the main problem,in OU, of speed so it honestly should be made up with pure power. You are using lum berry. If your team is getting burned after a couple of set-ups you have a problem. I think life-orb would be a much better option.

I tried Espeon, but with HP Fire instead of Baton Pass. There are benefits for both. So far, I do not have problems with Pursuit. However, opposing Pokemon like to set up on Espeon (Substitute, boosting, etc.) So, after starting to use Espeon, I rarely can set up a successful Smash Pass with 6-0 sweep. Also, Landorus' 2x Earth Power almost OHKOs Max SDef Ferrothorn. Focus Blast is not reliable. Should I use Superpower for Chansey instead? Genesect is actually very useful.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4729224 Opponent's Perspective
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4767186 Opponent's Perspective
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4769595 Genesect Sweep + Opponent Ragequit

I tried Espeon, but with HP Fire instead of Baton Pass. There are benefits for both. So far, I do not have problems with Pursuit. However, opposing Pokemon like to set up on Espeon (Substitute, boosting, etc.) So, after stating to use Espeon, I rarely can set up a successful Smash Pass. Also, Landorus' 2x Earth Power almost OHKOs Max SDef Ferrothorn. Focus Blast is not reliable. Should I use Superpower for Chansey instead? Genesect is actually very useful.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4729224 Opponent's Perspective
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4767186 Opponent's Perspective
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent4769595 Genesect Sweep + Opponent Ragequit

what pokemon are setting up on you?

Deoxys-D vs. Espeon as DS (DS stands for Dual Screener):

Deoxys-D has:
Pros:
-Taunt or Recover
-Bulky
Cons:
-Ruined by Taunt

Espeon:
Pros:
-Magic Bounce
-Fast
-More offense
Cons:
-Frail

Just a little but to add here. I played this team yesterday on PS, not sure if it was you or someone else playing it. But, it had one main problem, the same one I faced when I recently made my SmashPass team: trouble sweeping/functioning without boosts. Once I took out Gorebyss, the team fell apart. So, I'd recommend trying to factor in tvleast two Pokemon that aim to eliminate threats to Gorebyss and to aid in some weather, probably rain, to counter other weather teams, especially Chlorophyll in the Sun. I don't have specific suggestions for the first one since I am no good at doing that.

Hello.

This is an interesting team. Besides agreeing with all the changes that undisputed said, I think that an easy way to break sturdy on all the pokemon that can stop your sweepers would be to replace a move on deoxys-d with stealth rock. I honestly cannot say which one needs to be replaced, so you can test it in different slots without different moves. Right now, I am inclined to think that since deoxys-d is not even supposed to deal damage to their team, that taking off night shade might be the best option. Yes, it removes your only option of attack, but deoxys's only purpose on your team is to set your sweepers for success instead of actually doing anything that directly damages the opponent.

Hope this helps!

Try Deo D with

-stealth rock
-light screen
-reflect
-taunt

This will give you rocks, dual screens and a way to ruin other leads. Make sure you run max speed and timid nature though.

But, it had one main problem, the same one I faced when I recently made my SmashPass team: trouble sweeping/functioning without boosts. Once I took out Gorebyss, the team fell apart.
I don't think that my team would "fall apart" al the time without Gorebyss. I had many occasions where Espeon fainted before it could set up DS. My Offensive Pokemom do not have boosting moves, but they don't RELY on Smash Pass. I'll give BlankZero's Deoxys-D a try, but faster Taunters would ruin it.

Okay, I gave Doexys-D a try, but it keeps getting Taunted! I think that I should use Espeon.

Should Landorus use Superpower over Focus Blast?

I don't think that my team would "fall apart" al the time without Gorebyss. I had many occasions where Espeon fainted before it could set up DS. My Offensive Pokemom do not have boosting moves, but they don't RELY on Smash Pass. I'll give BlankZero's Deoxys-D a try, but faster Taunters would ruin it.

Okay, I gave Doexys-D a try, but it keeps getting Taunted! I think that I should use Espeon.

Should Landorus use Superpower over Focus Blast?
There aren't a TON of fast Taunters out there to be honest. If you really feel like you need it, try the following over your current Deo-D and see what you think.

Azelf @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt

Say hello to the slimmed down version of your Deo-D. Much fast (Base 115 Speed) means your Taunt will shut down other starter walls. The just throw up Rocks, Screens, and swap out again.

There aren't a TON of fast Taunters out there to be honest. If you really feel like you need it, try the following over your current Deo-D and see what you think.

Azelf @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt

Say hello to the slimmed down version of your Deo-D. Much fast (Base 115 Speed) means your Taunt will shut down other starter walls. The just throw up Rocks, Screens, and swap out again.
yes Azelf could do the job as well as espeon and it's got taunt so it's not set up bait like espeon. Try out Blankzeros azelf set and see how it faired compared to espeon.

yes Azelf could do the job as well as espeon and it's got taunt so it's not set up bait like espeon. Try out Blankzeros azelf set and see how it faired compared to espeon.
You could also do a set with:

Azelf @ Normal Gem/Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Explosion
-U-Turn

If you want a more aggressive lead, try this set. Taunt/Rocks, but trades Dual Screens for U-Turn, or a Normal Gem Exploding Suicide Lead.

I tried Azelf, and after the second battle, this is the result:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent5039137 Landorus Sweep (opponent's perspective)

Since this is only the second battle, I can't say if it is good or bad. Maybe I should have passed to Genesect, since Landorus always gets the action. OU tier is the most fun tier!

I will post more replays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)