My second NU RMT! Offensive team

Hi, it's me again! After a successful yet flawed NU team, I decided to make a new one which I think is better than the previous one. I've been playing as Testgimmick in Pokémon Showdown to test the team (some of you may have faced this team while playing PS), and the results are good, I've got to 1780 points, with 50 wins and 10 losses. However, I know it is very improvable. That's why I am posting it.

On a side note, I won't be posting new teams a lot, I know it's been just two weeks after the last message in my last RMT, but this team is so different, and it's the one I am using these days. Also, the metagame has changed a lot. That's why I post them quite close to the other.

This team was built before the new NU Pokémon dropped. The only change I made to it was Rock Blast > Stone Edge for Scolipede leads in Golem after the change.

I wanted to have both Serperior and Samurott in my team, because in my opinion they are understimated threats that aren't used very much, and can wreak havoc if used properly. I am still a not very good player, and I see that especially when fighting people above 1850. I'll keep on improving, I have a lot of fun playing this.

Without further ado, I present you the team!

At a glance:

Changes in Bold

Serperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

This is SubCM Serperior. Serperior is quite weak before boosting, but after it uses Calm Mind once or twice, it does some serious damage. Also, Serperior's bulk is quite good, allowing it to easily keep its Substitute, especially against Special Attacks after a few boosts have been accumulated. This Serperior can easily set up on Pokémon like Alomomola if it doesn't switch into Toxic. Giga Drain is a great move to have, allowing Serperior to recover its health, and hitting for good damage (especially if Overgrow is active). Hidden Power Rock hits heavily Flying-, Ice- and Bug-types like Scolipede, Jynx and Charizard, and gives Serperior good coverage.

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

Samurott is a very good Pokémon due to being unpredictable, the opponents don't know it is Specially based, Physically based, or Mixed. Mine is Swords Dance Samurott because I don't have many Physical attackers in my team (just 2, and Golem shouldn't count because it's a Custap lead). Aqua Jet is a nice priority move that handles weakened foes easily, and Waterfall is a very reliable STAB, with a good Flinching rate, considering Samurott outspeeds most walls. Megahorn hits Grass-types such as Tangela for super effective damage, and it's my best move against other Water-types, but it has missed in many important moments. Lum Berry allows Samurott to catch opponents off guard, giving it a free turn for attacking of setting up Swords Dance in case the opponent tries to status him.

Golem @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion

This is the most seen Golem, the Custap lead. It reliably sets up Stealth Rock, and that's important for any team especially in NU where spinners aren't that good and many teams lack one. Rock Blast is ther to break Scolipede's Sash. However, it misses so many times it's not even funny (c'mon, it's 90 Accuracy, and it misses more than Stone Edge for me). Also, if it hits, usually it does just twice. Rock Blast is a move that hates me... Earthquake forms the Rock/Ground nearly unresisted combination, and Explosion allows it to severely damage after the Custap Berry has been eaten. (If I see Golurk coming, I go for Earthquake after the Custap). Sometimes, I also begin attacking with Golem, especially if they send a lead weak to its STAB moves. Then, after Sturdy activates, I use Stealth Rock in the Custap turn. A few times I end up not setting Stealth Rock if I see the opponent doen't have many Pokémon weak to it, then I just attack. It can be worth it if I start winning 4-5 the battle.

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Foul Play
- Pain Split

Misdreavus is the wall in this offensive team. It takes physical hits really easily. And its good typing also allows it to function as a very good spinblocker (the best in the tier). Will-O-Wisp can mean rendering a physical attacker useless if they don't have a cleric. Shadow Ball is Misdreavus' STAB attack, hitting Pokémon that don't resist it, not heavily, but for reasonable damage. It also allows it not to become Taunt bait. Speaking of Taunt, it is used here as well for preventing other Pokémon from setting up ugly things like Stealth Rock or Leech Seed on it. Pain Split isn't very reliable recovery, but it is good enough, and Misdreavus doesn't have a different option. The EV spread is a bit Speed creep...

I hate when the opponent uses Knock Off on Missy. Also, when facing a Normal type attacker, I normally wasted turns after I burn it, because Shadow Ball doesn't affect it, Taunt isn't good in that situation, and Pain Split may be worse for Missy than for the opponent. That's why now I use Foul Play, for hitting Pokémon like Swellow or Zangoose for really good damage.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Thanks to ium's suggestion I changed Ludicolo for Gardevoir. It allows me to deal with pesky weather teams thanks to her amazing ability, Trace, and it is as well a Choice Scarf user, something my team lacked. Trick allows it to cripple walls, something important considering Munchlax, Misdreavus... are threats to offensive teams. Psychic, Shadow Ball and Focus Miss provide Gardevoir an unresisted coverage. Gardevoir is really powerful and can beat a damaged teams just by herself

Previous member: Ludicolo: I never found it too good, but that was because of an error with the EV spread. I may use it sometimes:

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Swift Swim Ludicolo is for sure a fearome sweeper, however, I feel it's the Pokémon that is less neccesary for the team. I've considered repalcing it for Scolipede or something. Any thoughts?

Anyways, the set is self-explanatory. I choose Hydro Pump instead of Surf because the added power, especially factoring Life Orb is quite noticeable. Giga Drain is Ludicolo's other STAB, a quite reliable one, because it allows it to be healthy even after Life Orb recoil, and hits Water-types for Super Effective damage. Ice Beam covers Grass-types like Tangela. Rain Dance is Ludicolo's set-up move.

Liepard @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Encore

This by far the most surprinsing set of the team. With all those Swagger/Thunder Wave/Foul Play/Substitute Liepard, this variant is certainly unexpected, people tend to forget Liepard gets Nasty Plot, and also has a very reliable way of setting up and sweep due to Encore and its good Speed.

Dark Pulse hits a really good portion of the metagame for good damage, especially factoring Steel-types aren't very common. This Liepard is great lategame cleaner, as lategame is when opponents try to set-up, and then it's when Encore+Nasty Plot+Dark Pulse = gg. At the beginning of battles it is also good as it can weaken teams sverely after encoring things like Stealth Rock.

Liepard also has invaluable utility for the team, as with Encore it can stop Shell Smash users like Gorebyss or Carracosta, and other set-up sweepers (SWOOBAT) with ease. I dislike when opponents switch into Encore and get a free turn though, I guess I'll have to learn more about Liepard to predict that type of things.

I am not very sure about its moveset though, especially about Substitute. It is good it the opponent uses something like Sleep Powder, to block it, Encore it and then set Nasty Plot. But it weakens Liepard really quickly due to Life Orb recoil. I don't find Hidden Power Fighting worth that moveslot because Steel-types are not common, and some are already hit heavily with a boosted Dark Pulse. Any ideas here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the team. It's far from perfect, but it does well, and I enjoy using it. There are a some threats, that, however, I see that give me trouble:

- Tauros: Its STAB Rock Climb hurts my team a lot, and it outspeeds many of my Pokémon. If Misdreavus and Golem are gone, it can really KO most of my team with just its STAB attack. This is wone Pokémon that make me miss having a Choice Scarf user.

- Linoone: Linoone is not a common sight in the metagame, but it can cleanly OHKO my whole team after Stealth Rock except for Missy (which has a 81.25% chance of dying to Shadow Claw after Stealth Rock), and I cannot stop it from setting with Liepard because ExtremeSpeed goes before Encore due to +2 Priority. Sure, it will be hard for my opponent to set it up, but if it manages to...

- Swoobat: If Liepard is gone, it can easily set up Calm Mind against Serperior and this usually means gg, as Samurott's Aqua Jet doesn't OHKO.

- Munchlax: Munchlax is troublesome due to its superb Special Bulk, and to its ability to use Whirlwind against some of my set up sweepers.

- Gurdurr: Especially Knock Off variants, Misdreavus is my main switch into it, and with its Eviolite gone, things become bad for the rest of the battle.

- Primeape an the VoltTurn strategy: Especially the common Choice Scarf Primeape, as many of my Pokémon are weak to U-turn. The combination of Eelektross + Primeape is deadly for my team, as 4 Pokémon are weak to the combo.

- Toxic Spikes: I don't have a Toxic Spikes absorber, and now with Scolipede in the tier I am at risk of having my team poisoned, limiting the time of turns my 4 set up sweepers have to sweep.

And many more, for sure.

That's all. There are many things to be changed, feel free to suggest as many things as you want.

Importable:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Trait: Torrent
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

Golem @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Foul Play
- Pain Split

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Liepard @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Encore

Hi Alonsoforever, I'd be more than happy to give your team a rate. I have to admit I'm no expert, but I have been playing NU for a while now and feel like I have a few suggestions that might be able to help counter a number of the things you listed in your threat list. I don't have time right now to play test them, but I'm excited to hear what you and other people think. Overall I really like your team, especially Nasty Plot Liepard, playing both the role of a check to Shell Smashers and sweeper.

A few of the threats that you mentioned: Gurdurr, Munchlax, and Taurous could be mitigated at least in part by adding a choice scarf Braviary to your team. Running the standard Brave Bird/ Superpower/ U-Turn/ Return build your team should be more well equipped to threaten these pokes, Braviary's natural bulk is also a plus.

You said that you feel like Ludicolo one of the members to your team that you would be willing to give up; however, I think the coverage he provides with HP and Ice beam might give him the edge over Serperior (both of them can set up on Alomomola. Because of this I'd suggest running CS Braviary over Serperior.

Additionally, you might find that running 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe on Ludicolo will be more successful as the added SpA should give you the extra power that you need to blow through things, especially with Hydro Pump.

Finally, if find you're struggling with Toxic Spikes you might consider replacing Taunt on Misdreavus with Heal Bell.

Summary:
----->
@Choice Scarf 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

-----> 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Taunt -----> Heal Bell (If Toxic Spikes become a big problem)

I'll be excited to hear if these changes lead to any more success and I can't wait to see you on the ladder!

your team suffers from jynx as it is capable of coming in on any of the slower members (two-thirds) of your team to get off a lovely kiss and/or potentially 1-2HKO anything. while it isn't easy to make changes that can fully stop jynx without ruining the offensive nature of your team, there are a few things you can do to prevent it from having an easier time.

first off, use 252 spe EVs and hidden power rock over dragon pulse on serperior. max speed is important to outspeed max speed scolipede which can be useful in many scenarios. hidden power rock allows you to nail charizard, jynx, and the mentioned scolipede which is great if you have stealth rock up. dragon pulse is absolutely inferior and doesn't provide siginficant coverage since it only hits dragon-types harder (even hidden power ice is better).

your team would also like a choice scarf user—gardevoir seems like it fits nicely over ludicolo because it acts as a check to weather teams, which you have slight problems with, being able to utilize trace and get off a hard hit in return. additionally, gardevoir can trick a choice scarf onto problematic pokemon, such as musharna or some eviolite users that could be a nuisance, such as misdreavus and the munchlax you mentioned. finally, it just works nicely from an offensive standpoint since it can handle gurdurr better and can catch non-scarf versions of jynx or scolipede off guard.

also, i'm going to go ahead and say that you should try out lum berry on samurott. the drop in power isn't too terrible as long as hazards are up—what's more important is to make certain pokemon such as jynx and alomomola less annoying for your team. jynx can be hit with a megahorn as it goes for a lovely kiss if you're near full health, while in a similar fashion, you can get an extra swords dance off while alomomola tries to toxic.

finally, this suggestion is optional depending on what you think is best, but you may also want to consider using liepard's standard set because my changes don't do too much for your vulnerability against gorebyss and the like. getting an emergency thunder wave off can be extremely helpful in clutch situations where an encore wouldn't have worked.

gardevoir @ choice scarf | trace
timid nature | 4 def / 252 spa / 252 spe
psychic / shadow ball / focus blast / trick

Thanks you too for the rate!

About Ludicolo, I don't know why it had 252 HP instead of SpA, I wanted the standard offensive spread. Modest with 0 SpA EVs is bad. I clicked PS suggestion maybe and didn't realize it was wrong. Now I see why it was soooo weak, even with Life Orb... I'll try out all the suggestions. I've changed Taunt for Heal Bell for Missy, and I may try Foul Play as well. However, I think I'll not replace Serperior, because I wanted this team to have both Serperior and Samurott from the very beginning. I have never used Braviary, but I know it's a great Pokémon, so I'll try it for sure, but maybe in another team.

Gardevoir seems a perfect fit into this team, and considering I used to use it in my previous team, I don't know how it didn't come to my mind. On Samurott, it has Lum Berry now. It's true that many times my Samurott dies to status + LO recoil, so Lum Berry is a good solution. About Liepard, I am not sure. I mean, it has swept so many times, and it has great surprise value. I'll try both options and see which one wins me more battles.

Hope these changes will help the team improve, thanks again.

Edit: I've had 2 battles, and Gardevoir beat 3 Pokémon in each battle! Good results for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)