My second OU team (balanced)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by uber effective, May 27, 2012.

1. uber effective

uber effective

Uber Effective's Second OU Team

Hey guys, this is my second team i've ever made. I
    Don't know much about team building, but here it goes. Keep in mind that I don't use legendaries(because my friends don't, just being fair). Thank You

First Donphan@
    [​IMG]
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Sturdy
    Iv's:flawless
    Ev's:252hp/252att/4sp
    Moveset: Stealth Rocks/Rapid spin
    Ice shard/Earthquake

Explanation: This guy is my leader for my party, starts off with a SR and switches out if the EQ or Ice shard isn't going to do much. The idea is to keep it alive for further rapid spin use. It's survival should be expected because it has sturdy. The iv's are so it can survive some hits and deal some great STAB damage with the EQ.

Second Conkeldurr@ Life orb
    [​IMG]
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Guts
    Iv's: flawless
    Ev's 252hp/252att/4sp
    Moveset: Drain Punch/Bulk up
    Mach punch/Payback

Explanation: Conkeldurr hits like a truck with STAB + Life orb Drain punch, not to mention the fact that is regains the life lost due to the life orb as a result of the drain. Payback is to take out those pokes that are immune to fighting type and the mach punch is for revenge killing. The Iv's are also designed to keep it alive long enough so it can bulk up, then proceed to OHKO everything.

Third Ferrothorn@ Leftovers

[​IMG]
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Iron barbs
    Ev's: 252hp/152spl. def/100att
    Moveset: Leech seed/Power whip
    Gyro ball/spikes

Obviously Ferrothorn is a tank. With the hp and spl def evs it should stop most special attackers. The relaxed nature is to compesate for the lack of def ev's. The moves are standard, game plan is to gain life with leech seed + leftovers and to stall while setting up spikes. The gyro ball is to abuse the fact that ferrothorn has a pathetic speed stat. The 100 attack ev's are questionable. (maybae I should put them in bulking my ferothorn up)

Fourth Hydreigon@ Choice specs
    [​IMG]
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Levitate
    Ev's: 252spl. att/252sp/4hp
    Moveset: Dragon pulse/Surf
    Flamethrower/Dark pulse

This is my sweeper, he is choiced and loaded up with speed and special attack ev's so he can sweep late game after i've stalled long enough with Ferrothorn and Jellicent. I am considering having it with Timid nature instead, but i think the 252 speed ev's will be enough to outspeed most.

Fifth Jellicent@
    [​IMG]
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Cursed body
    Ev's: 252hp/252spl. att/4 spl. def
    Moveset: Ice beam/Scald
    Recover/Toxic

This was primarily chosen to stall in cooperation with Ferrothorn. The typing of them both creates great snergy and lots of stalling opportunities. The Ev's are for bulk and so it can hold its own against a dragon with ice beam. The recover and toxic, work well with this pokemon because it can stall and stop enemy walls alike. The nature is for better stalling. Both of my walls are specially defensive, is that a problem?

Six Volcarona@

[​IMG]
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Flame body
    Iv's: Near flawless(best possible for hp ice 70)
    Ev's 4hp/252spl. att/252sp
    Moveset: Bug buzz/overheat
    Quiver dance/Hidden ice (70)

Explanation: Yet another sweeper, the quizer dance make this thing an unstoppable prairie fire. The bug and ice moves are for countering dragons and pychic types. Once I get the chance to set up, its game over. Unfortunately this thing is pretty frail. Considering more hp ev's at the cost of 100 spl. attack?

Ok thats it, if you guys have any suggestions please post. (Need suggestions on items) Thanks
    p.s. sorry about the awkward pictures
  2. labarith

labarith

Donphan needs to watch out for Fakeout leads like Infernape, and I suspect you're going to get a lot of "oops, I'm at 1 life" and can't switch in to rapid spin scenarios.

I would think Moxie Scarf Salamence > Hydreigon. Immunity to psychic doesn't seem worth the self-boosting and sheer coverage of Sally. Also, as is, 4 of your pokemon are weak to fighting attacks. :/ Also, you pretty much lose the "speed" fight on everything ever.

Water Absorb > Curse Body. You want to be able to switch into that surf/scald. Ferrothorn doesn't like the burn.

Fiery dance -> Flame Blast/Overheat/Flamethrower. You QD, then attack. That's what you do. When you don't do that, you'd want a bigger attack anyways.

Finally, 0 attack for special attackers to reduce power split/fowlplay/confusion damage.
  3. uber effective

uber effective

When you say, "lose the speed fight" how does one win it? Do you mean I should add some more speed ev's and/or replace some pokes with faster ones?

Also, realistically is having more than one wall on a team a bad idea?
    Also, should I use skarmory instead of Ferrothorn and donphan?

Moveset of said skarm: Brave bird/Stealth rocks
    Recover/whirlwind
  4. labarith

labarith

You need to be wary of speed tiers in OU. More or less, you need to look for positive speed natured pokemon with a speed over 100 if you're going to outrace certain heavily used pokemon. Just browse the speeds of OU here:
    http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/ou

Since most of your pokemon are slow, but not TR slow, you'll need to up the prioty move users you have and/or get some faster pokemon for revenge killing.

For example, a Salamence will always outspeed your Hydreigon with the same EVs/nature/moveset. So you might as well go for Salamence, unless you're option for Hydreigon for type coverage or because it takes less from ice attacks. In this case, you're really not...
  5. Pokemasta77

Pokemasta77

Just one quick thing. For Ferrothorn you should give it 0 Spd ivs to increase the power of Gyro Ball. I would also recommend Scarf Moxie Mence. It is a major threat in OU and is superior to Hydreigon. For Volcarona, I would recommend a Timid nature and changing HP Ice to HP Rock. In my experience, HP Rock has worked better than HP Ice. Lastly, I can't see the items for Donphan, Jellicent, and Volcarona. Hope these suggestions help you!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)