1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 2 my settled team(i have a hard time making up my mind)

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by contents_under_pressure, Aug 13, 2007.

1. contents_under_pressure

contents_under_pressure

Ampharos(Miracleberry)
    -Thunderbolt
    -Thunder Wave
    -Fire Punch
    -Reflect

my electric type of choice. i love launching 328 special attack thunderbolts and fire punches at people. thunder wave helps with his speed problem, and reflect helps the defense problem

Flareon(Focus Band)
    -Sunny Day
    -Fire Blast
    -Double Edge
    -HP:Fighting

hmm, sunny dayed fire blast. ouch. his special attack isn't as good as other fire types like moltres and typhlosion, but it's good enough, and he's got a 358 attack power on top of that, which means double edge and HP:Fighting are gonna hurt. shadow ball was the standard, i believe, but HP is better here for tyranitar, houndoom, blissey, snorlax, and any other normals and darks. focus band has the chance of keeping me alive for one more strong hit.(i also usually play with item clause also)

Meganium(Leftovers)
    -Razor Leaf
    -Synthesis
    -Light Screen
    -Earthquake

Razor Leaf for good STAB, synthesis is my healer move, i don't like leech seed, as i have no way to keep them in for it, so it usually doesn't work for me. light screeen+earthquake helps with fire types, among other things also.

Kingdra(Mint Berry)
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -HP:Electric
    -Rest

genius type combination, only weak to dragon, and not many people run dragon moves, its moves here allow to hit everything for neutral or better. magneton is the only pokemon that resists electric and ice moves, and surf hits him for neutral, so with that, getting everything neutral makes him a great special attacker. mint rest to stay alive longer. this guy is a keeper.

Machamp(Scope Lens)
    -Cross Chop
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Focus Energy

focus energy+scope lens+cross chop= dead blisseys and snorlaxes. i've gotten a TON of critical hits with this combo, and eq and rock slide are obvious type coverage. my physical attacker of choice.

Dragonite(Bitter Berry)
    -Safeguard
    -Outrage
    -Dynamicpunch
    -Fire Blast

outrage is extremely powerful and gets STAB, so i put it on the set along with a bitter berry to help with confusion, so it will definitely rip some things apart. dynamicpunch is an ohko on blissey, and if not, it will do enough damage to be finished off by outrage. fire blast gets the majority of steel types, namely forry, steelix, and skarmory. safeguard is nice to have.

well, there it is. some other team details:
    sunny day powers up flareon's fire blast as well as dragonites fire blast, ampharos fire punch, and makes meganium synthesis heal even more HP. it does weaken kingdra's surf, but it has two other effective attacks, and it's usually a late game cleaner anyway, so it still works with it all.
    i put in all three pseudo-pass barrier type moves(reflect, light screen, and safeguard) so it helps against physical, special, and status attacks. pretty cool coverage there.
    i tried to cover as much as possible here. ampharos has fire punch for grasses and steels, flareon has HP:Fighting for rock types, etc.
    i tried to have as less major common weakness as possible, and the ones that i do have are covered as best as i can. i have only one fire weakness, i have two ground weaknesses, and kingdra covers both of those, for example. so thats another thing.

well, there it is, so tell me what you think.
  2. 133tSneasel

133tSneasel

Ampharos is fine
    Flareon, you might want Shadow Ball over Sunny Day for Gengar, and Missy. And Maybe Body Slam over Double-Edge for paralysis.

Meganium, I think Leech Seed over Earthquake, if you have EQ you should use the Body Dancer set, Swords Dance, Body Slam, Earthquake, Synthesis/Leech Seed.

Kingdra, is fine

You might need something to paralysis before you use FE, because they'll just switch to something that resist all those attacks. *cough skarmory, suicune cough*

Dragonite is not good with Outage unless it was for link battle (gameboys) or Stadium (IMO). People will just switch to a water Pokemon or something with Ice Beam. Dynamic Punch is fine for it's attack. Maybe Wing Attack for a STAB, instead of Outrage, even though that does work (the strategy) and possibly Thunderbolt over Safegaurd. I think Surf works better for Golem or Rhydon. But Ice Beam can work too.

Thunderbolt
    Wing Attack
    Dynamic Punch
    Surf / Ice Beam
  3. Laguna Loire

Laguna Loire

Kingdra(Mint Berry)
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -HP:Electric
    -Rest

well, what is its ability and nature?
    With Swift Swin, adding Rain Dance is helpful for powering Water moves and doubling speed, Sniper helps m,ore damage on crits and should be paired with Scope Lens to increase the chance of a Crit happening, please post your nature and i will be able to help more then
  4. contents_under_pressure

contents_under_pressure

pay attention, this is the g/s/c board. but if this was the d/p board, you'd be right.

@the other guy: thx for the help, i'll use some of that.
  5. JMC

JMC Old as dirt.
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I'll take that you are playing with item clause. I'll try to keep the team semi-uu, as you have made one of the sort.

Ampharos: Although reflect is useful, consider Dynamic Punch somewhere in that set. Normal pokemon like Blissey and Snorlax hate a D-punch on the switch. D-punch over t-wave is an option as well.

Ampharos~Miracle Berry
    Thunderbolt
    Dynamic Punch
    Fire Punch
    Thunder Wave/Reflect

Another idea is to lose Amphy for Pikachu, as it would give you more item diversity. HP Fire and Sing are only if you don't mind cheating and adding moves.

Pikachu~Light Ball
    Thunder/Thunderbolt
    Surf
    HP: Fire/Rain Dance
    Sing/Thunder Wave

Ampharos is pretty cool, as well though.

Flareon: the fellow is way too fragile to try to sunny day, much less use Double-Edge without recovery. Use Return over Double-Edge [it's only 18 points less], and Zap Cannon over Sunny Day [which also helps for your paralyzation theme]. If you are okay with all items, definitely use Quick Claw to hit some fast attacks before he dies.

Flareon~Quick Claw
    Fire Blast
    Zap Cannon
    Return
    HP: Fighting

Meganium: Leech Seed over Earthquake, definitely. Use Mystery Berry for extra synthesis recovery.

Meganium~Mystery Berry
    Razor Leaf
    Leech Seed
    Synthesis
    Light Screen

Kingdra: This thing was made to sleep talk, and is great to do it for you. Ditch HP: Electric for Sleep Talk, and give this kid the Scope Lens. You need a CH from him, and Water types aren't going to worry about a 288 Hidden Power: Electric when it can rest/recover the damage easily [Slowbro, Starmie, Suicune].

Kingdra~Scope Lens
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Machamp: This is where Mint Berry will help. He is another Pokemon designed for Blitzing. Focus Energy won't help in the long run, so let him Minty Rest. Rest over FE will allow him to quickly recover from all damage and attack again.

Machamp~Mint Berry
    Cross Chop
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Rest

Dragonite: to be honest, you would be better off without. Steelix could help the potential of this team, as you could get more physical attack damage and resist a lot of things. the traditional E-quake, curse, roar/explosion/Rest [matter of preference, really], body slam would be amazing with this team, as things like zapdos and ursaring could be a pain. here is where leftovers fit.

Steelix~Leftovers
    Earthquake
    Body Slam
    Curse
    Roar/Explosion/Rest

overall, your team isn't too horrible. It looks like fun to play in Stadium 2 or in semi-uu with item clause. Good luck!
  6. Venetian Masque

Venetian Masque

Pretty late reply, but in G/S/C, this Kingdra has worked me wonders:

Kindgra @ Berserk Gene
    • Double-Edge
    • Hydro Pump
    • Rest
    • Sleep Talk
    Pretty much your typical Kingdra but with a bit of risk involved. You begin with Rest (to cure yourself of confusion and heal yourself if needed) and then proceed to sweep with Sleep Talking Double-Edges and Hydro Pumps. More often than not, Double-Edge does some absurd amounts of damage - enough to OHKO 50% of the time, at least in my experience.
  7. Karrot

Karrot plant
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Rest doesn't cure confusion.
  8. Venetian Masque

Venetian Masque

Another late reply. It doesn't? I suppose I never noticed it, but it always seemed to wear off at just the right time then. However, I'll take your word for it.
  9. Karrot

Karrot plant
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Actually, the confusion of Berserk Gene never wears off until the user switches out, unlike regular confusion.
  10. Venetian Masque

Venetian Masque

I must've been insanely lucky every single time, then. Thanks for the information.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)