1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My Team, Appreciate the Rate

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by MatthewTeague, Jan 25, 2011.

1. MatthewTeague

MatthewTeague

I assembled this team for leisure competitive play during the 4th generation, beginning of the 5th generation. I would love some comments, I'm new posting to the forums :)

My Team

[​IMG]
    Vaporeon with Leftovers:
    Nature:Hardy
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP : 176 DEF : 80 SPE

-Wish
    -Protect
    -Boil Over
    -Hidden Power Ice

The wish supporter for my team. His ability Water Absorb is there to balance out my teams weakness to water, since I run a Sand team. Protect + Wish is quite the successful set up, with Hidden Power Electric to take out the numerous amounts of water he will be switching into on.

[​IMG]

Hippowdon with Leftovers:
    Nature:Impish
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP : 252 DEF : 4 SPD

-Earthquake
    -Slack off
    -stealth rock
    -Roar

My starting lead for most situations. Sets up sandstorm, which is a hindrance to most teams out there today. Stealth rock set up as well, for damaging most Pokemon, and capable of racking up lots of residual damage thanks to hippowdon's abuse of roar. Earthquake for Stab damage, and so that he can't be taunted into an epic failure.

[​IMG]

Shibirudon with Leftovers
    Nature:Careful
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP : 4 ATK : 252 SPD

-Snake Coil
    -Wild Bolt
    -Substitute
    -Dragon Tail

My second wall of the team. With only one weakness to ground...wait, his levitate ability takes care of that :p Toss down substitute and snake coil to boost attack and accuracy. Sweep with Wild Bolt and dragon tail as a successful back up. It doesn't get simpler than that.

[​IMG]

Scizor with Choice Scarf
    Nature:Jolly
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP : 252 ATK : 252 SPD

-Pursuit
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-Turn
    -Superpower

My mid-game scout, attack sweeper. With choice scarf on hand, scizor will be granted a much needed speed boost, giving the advantage to unleash a successful attack onto a Pokemon not prepared to be out sped. Pursuit for Pokemon that switch out, u-turn for sticky situations and superpower is still a maybe at this point until i decide on a better attack.

[​IMG]

Ononokusu with Leftovers
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 4 HP : 252 ATK : 252 Speed

-Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Substitute
    -Earthquake

My second Attack sweeper. With a high attack bonus granted from his Ev set-up, Ono has the potential to wreck havoc on any team unprepared for it's onslaught. Set up substitute, set up a couple of successful Dragon Dance's and the unleash a fury of Outrage. Earthquake for a back up in case a Pokemon isn't quite phased by dragon moves.

[​IMG]

Randorosu with Life Orb
    Nature:Naive
    Ability:Sand Power
    EVs: 252 ATK : 4 SPD : 252 SPE

-Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Sword Dance
    -Hidden Power Ice

Landlos, a monster of a Pokemon. Benefits from my sand storm team, first off. His ability is beneficial to his stab moves of earthquake and stone edge. Sword dance to set up for a massive attack boost and hidden power ice to take out Gliscor and Hippowdon

Threats: Swampert. Ludicolo. Rain Teams.

Again, this team is still in the works, but I'll leave the descriptions up this time to keep it from being locked. The descriptions aren't too detailed, but I'll update them as i test with pokemon that they have trouble with, etc.

This team and descriptions are still in the works, I have class in 30 minutes...college algebra :/

So, when i get back I'll continue to edit and clean this thread up. Thank you guys for the help!!!!!!!!
  2. Branduscus

Branduscus

Take off choice band on Nattorei make it more standard and don't put spikes on a Choice either... ever
  3. MatthewTeague

MatthewTeague

Oh right, running spikes on a choice set just ends in disaster. If i took off the choice and spikes what other set would you advise using?
  4. Branduscus

Branduscus

If you want to you can try Forretress which you can run spikes rapid spin rocks or whatever combo but if you want Nattorei try

Nattorei @ Leftovers
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Relaxed Nature (-Spe +Def)
    -Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Gyro Ball / Power Whip
    -Explosion / Spikes

Stealth rock and leech seed are self explanatory. Gyro ball will hit hard with low speed +stab but power whip gives you a grass move to take out water ground types which the rest of you team can't cover. Not great overall atk stat going with the moves but its good enough to hit well. Explosion or spikes is your decision, extra entry hazards or the ability to blow up and practically render a pokemon useless or dead
  5. MatthewTeague

MatthewTeague

Alright, so if I didn't want to use Nat, what other pokemon would you suggest? Something to complete my team would be great if you can think of anything.
  6. Jaroda

Jaroda

This team needs a lot of help, I'm not even sure where to begin. First off, I think you needs to read up on the state of the current 5th Gen metagame. You didn't make a single mention of the current threats or how you handle them. Simply, (Here's my revenge killer, here's my lead, etc). Not to mention you're using a lot of 4th Gen staples that simply aren't as effective anymore. Explosion on Azelf for example (it's been nerfed). Taunt on a Choice Band set? WTF? What's your team's goal and focus? What is it dedicated to accomplishing in battle?
  7. MatthewTeague

MatthewTeague

Thanks for the reply Jaroda.

I'm a bit new on the online play of this and this was only a team i tossed together quickly. I've been testing out the team and I'll name a couple of problems i have with it and certain Pokemon that i can't deal with.

I admit, I put some bad moves together on some of these Pokemon ( the taunt on Ononokusu is really a place holder until i can figure out something better to use with him)

Alright so lets start with Azelf. The explosion is ineffective, and I personally didn't know they nerfed it so thank you for the information. The primary use of Azelf as a lead is to set up stealth rock, which coupled with his high speed usually almost always happens. Taunt on his set is used to prevent slower enemy leads from laying down entry hazards and to prevent leads without a choice scarf from putting azelf to sleep, and Flamethrower is to deal damage to Scizor and Metagross leads that i encounter often. Certain choice scarf lead Pokemon may out speed azelf, but with a focus sash it usually stays in for a turn to lay down a entry hazard or at least deal some damage.

What other leads would you suggest if Azelf is outdated? I'd prefer something that lays down entry hazards such as stealth rock or toxic spikes; I might consider Roserade for the latter.

Once I address the problem with the Azelf, I'll continue to correct the other pokemon I use.

I'll move on to Ononokusu now. When i created this set i wasn't using taunt as a move, but i changed Ononokusu's set to another which i have updated above. I use him as a sweeper to do damage quickly with an accompanied Dragon Dance to boost his stats. Earthquake to damage most pokemon that are resistant to dragon, and outrage to deal massive damage to everything else. The life orb helps with this matter. But Ononokusu isn't meant to stay and take damage, since his low defensive stats.

I'm pretty sure I would like those two pokemon in a team, every other one is subjective. If anyone reading this has any suggestions, please let me know!
  8. MatthewTeague

MatthewTeague

Bump. Will no one offer their support? :(
  9. Jaroda

Jaroda

Once again, you can compile a decent team, but your problem is an ignorance of the trends of the current metagame. Mainly weather wars, bulky offense and the fact that dedicated leads are few and far between these days with team preview. I'll offer some help on the team, but do yourself a favor and read some other RMTs or some threads on the current metagame.

Considering you have a Hippowdon on your team, just use that as your lead, as it's still effective. You don't need two pokemon with Stealth Rock, so I say you can do without Azelf entirely.

While Hitmontop is alright, if you're going to have Sand on your team than that and LO are going to rack up damage on you very quickly. LO generally isn't a good idea on pokemon that don't resist sand on a sand team. You can replace it with a Technician Breloom with Leftovers and it will work even better.

Milotic is alright, but the Restalk set is generally better with mixed defenses considering sleep activates marvel scale. This also gives you a dedicated status absorber and someone who can switch into sleep and burn safely.

Now let's give you a reliable sweeper. Landlos and Terakion are excellent choices in the sand. Either should replace Azelf. Terakion has great STAB coverage and can double dance to handle threats accordingly, and the sand boosts his SpD. Landlos is a monster with Life Orb and Sand Power. You get buffed Edgequake coverage and you can even go mixed with HP Ice, which is recommended. It can double dance as well but I find Substitute particularly annoying. your call.

Those are some basic ideas. Do some research and you tell me what you think your team needs. Hope I helped.
  10. MatthewTeague

MatthewTeague

Thank you again for the reply. I'll take into account your suggestions, and I'll start reading up on the current 5th generation metagame as soon as possible.

I'll try out the changes and tweak them myself and i'll let you know how it works.

Team is updated with Changes, I'm running test battles as we speak.

I can already see a problem; Metagross just doesn't last long enough against pokemon with his current move pool. Note to self, fix his moveset or replace him.

Edit: Trying out eelectross instead of metagross, i'll see if it feels better.
  11. ToastTyrant13

ToastTyrant13

(Well hello there! Just in case a Moderator sees this soon, you might want to add some information and strategies for each pokemon in order to keep this thread from being locked.)

Based on what I've seen in my usage with Ononokusu, I would replace Taunt with Substitute. You can easily use it for easy set up and as a status blocker when you anticipate a switch, unles you prefer longitivity over ease of set-up and sweeping. If you chose to use Substitute, you can use Leftovers since you can easily get one, if not multiple, Dragon Dances to boost his already admirable attacking stats.

Before I replaced Randorusu, with Doryuuzu on my Sand Storm team, I used a HP Ice Randorusu. If you really want to use that effectively, against bulky ground types like Hippowdon and Gliscor I presume, then you could probably run Naive with 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe. I didn't use Randorusu for too long, but I believe that he would benefit more from Swords Dance than Substitute in order for an even greater damage output with Sand Power, unless you want to try to run it similarly to Ononokusu.

I think your team would benefit more from Wish support (and since you want Milotic) coming from Vaporeon. It can fulfill nearly the same role, while instead of Rest+Sleep Talk, Vaporeon can run Wish+Protect. It also absorbs your weaknesses to Water.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers (Water Absorb)
    Bold- 252 HP / 164 Def / 88 SpD (I believe that works, my calculations may be wrong)
    ~Wish
    ~Protect
    ~Boiling Water
    ~Hidden Power Electric (unless Swampert and Gamageroge are a problem, then Hidden Power Grass)

This will definetley benefit your team more than Milotic, especially with it's ability to survive better under sand.

Now, I notice that you have 4 weaknesses to Ice. Starmie won't be sad to see your team on the battlefield.

Let's see *cracks knuckles*...

Okay. After much thought, it seems Breloom is the weak link. Shanderaa, Nattorei, Gengar, Gliscor, and Kingdra, along with many other things, easily hold him at bay. May I suggest Scizor? His Fire weakness is covered by nearly your whole team, so he can switch in and out rather safely. He also helps you deal with things like Rankurusu, Sazandora (if you can U-Turn succesfully. Complicated, but not unlikely), Tyranitar, etc. Perhaps...

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly~ 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Pursuit
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-Turn
    -Superpower

This can easily switch in and Revenge Kill/Scout for your team, allowing to sweep safely and predict what he has to counter your team. I'm still hesitant to suggest Superpower, seeing as Bullet Punch and U-Turn cover everything that it does besides Steel. But then again, it gives you a great way to get rid of Nattorei and Tyranitar with greater damage output.

Well, I hope you can do well and see how this works out for a while. Good Luck! I'll be back with more later.
  12. MatthewTeague

MatthewTeague

Thanks for the reply! I'm testing out my team as we speak, ill update on the problems I encounter as soon as I am able!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)