Gen 3 My team, ratings and suggestions needed!

I've been playing NetBattle off and on for ages, but recently I've gotten back into it (and also been plesantly surprised at the upcoming D/P).

After quite a bit of screwing around with different pokemon, from uber to neverused, I've come up with a team that's getting me a reasonable amount of success without being deemed too reliant on ubers. I'll give you the stats, and I'll give you some weaknesses I've identified and I appreciate all feedback.

Code:
Registeel (RegisteelOfDoom) @ Leftovers
204 hp / 188 def / 116 sp. def
(Clear Body) [Bold nature]
Amnesia
Rest
Seismic Toss
Toxic
This pokemon has really amazed me. I added him to the team about 3 weeks ago, and he's never been off it since. This is (no offense) essentially the smart man's Blissey. I -hate- Blissey, although it's an extremely valid pokemon, I just view it cheap and can't bring myself to use it. This pokemon can eat even fire blast/overheat, using amnesia to start and resting as hp gets low. He's vulnerable to fire criticals and ground attacks, however Dugtrio is really the only pokemon that has a 100% success rate against him. Registeel can generally soften up Metagross enough that I can switch in something else for the kill. This pokemon has 6-0'd roughly 25 of my last 140 matches.

Code:
Celebi @ Leftovers
252 hp / 80 def / 176 sp. def
(Natural Cure) [Bold nature]
Baton Pass
Calm Mind
Heal Bell
Recover
I just added Celebi to the team today, but she (genderless?) has performed pretty well in my matches so far. An excellent baton passer with calm mind, which can compliment 2 of my pokemon greatly, and 2 others well with the sp. def. Heal bell is exceptionally useful, because you will notice I have 4 resters on my team. I can basically swap them in, rest, and wake them all up with Celebi. Heal bell is my primary means of defeating spikes, because skarmory and other whirlwinders open themselves up to damage, and can never overcome the rest/heal bell pattern. Also makes an excellent switch into fighting pokemon and leech seed, and the rarer psychic types.

Code:
Kyogre (JustForDrizzle) @ Leftovers
4 hp / 252 sp. atk / 252 speed
(Drizzle) [Timid nature]
Ice Beam
Rest
Water Spout
Thunderbolt
Kyogre is literally only on the team for drizzle (you'll see why), but with this high speed attack set he can clean the clocks of certain pokemon. Kyogre is extremely easy to take down with any number of widely available electric attacks, so I literally don't think of him as a member of the team, but just a way to activate drizzle. Any suggestions on how to rearrange the EVs to give him more flexability would be appreciated. Specifically being able to tank two beefy thunderbolts would be excellent.

Code:
Weezing @ Leftovers
252 hp / 4 def / 252 sp. def
(Levitate) [Careful nature]
Destiny Bond
Haze
Pain Split
Substitute
This team previously had Sceptile and Dugtrio in place of Celebi and Weezing, and had major issues with ground type attacks and stat-uppers. Weezing takes care of both of those gracefully, and is almost 100% gauranteed to kill someone with destiny bond through the course of the fight (the exception being a superb prediction I miss). Levitate allows me to switch out of registeel to take the earthquake, generally from metagross, before switching elsewhere for the kill. I do miss dugtrio's arena trap, but I didn't feel he was really pulling much weight on the team. Also, pain split isn't getting used very much at all. It's great to tick off the occasional blissey, but I have a feeling I could better be served with something else. Any ideas?

Code:
Ludicolo @ Leftovers
140 hp / 144 def / 188 sp. atk / 36 sp. def
(Rain Dish) [Modest nature]
Leech Seed
Rest
Surf
Thunderpunch
Also relatively new to the team, about a week in use, Ludicolo makes an excellent tank. Furthermore, it really throws people for a loop, because they see the Kyogre switch in, then the Celebi come in later and start calm minding. They assume I'm going to pass to Kyogre and hit with a thunder, but instead they're met by a Ludicolo who takes standard damage, then heals most of it instantly via rain dish/leftovers. From there it's leech seed to the rescue, and if I'm successfully calm minded up, he can hold his own against just about everything except explosion. I choose thunderpunch over ice beam for dealing with the other bulky waters that are everywhere, but HP Grass is a thought, or even Giga Drain, though I hate the poor PP.

Code:
Snorlax (SnorlaxOfDeath) @ Leftovers
140 hp / 96 atk / 164 def / 88 sp. def
(Immunity) [Impish nature]
Body Slam
Curse
Shadow Ball
Rest
Snorlax can be a raging beast or a complete flop, it really depends on the opponent's moveset and offensive/defensive nature. There's almost nothing more satisfying than a Gengar (a hated enemy) switching into a Shadow Ball for the OHKO. On the other hand, Snorlax has a lot of trouble with folks like Metagross and anything fast, especially high-end special attackers. I choose Body Slam over Frustration for the 30% paralyze chance, as the team is rather lacking in status effects.

So that's the team. I previously had major issues like I had said with ground attacks and stat-uppers, but I've mitigated a lot of it. I think the major faults with the team right now is a COMPLETE lack of speed. The entire team is slower pokemon, Kyogre the fastest. I generally fare well with prediction though, so it's not a huge issue. The team is very vulnerable to criticals though, and a lot of my losses (I feel) are extremely luck-based. That's an entirely different topic though (my luck).

I think that EV placement could be a major improvement to my team. I'm sure that just a few tiny EV modifications would allow the team to do a lot more than it's capable of right now, such as Kyogre taking 2 thunderbolts instead of one and faint/retreat, and Snorlax enduring enough hits to actually get something done.

Can you identify some major weaknesses in the team? I'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve. I'm available for battle if you'd like to see how I play it, too. Just find me on Smogon.

If you have Kyogre, it makes it an Uber team, which means stuff like Weezing becomes pretty useless in actual fair matches (as in, against people with uber teams)... Consider replacing that.

Looking forward to seeing that registeel in action though

If you have Kyogre, it makes it an Uber team, which means stuff like Weezing becomes pretty useless in actual fair matches (as in, against people with uber teams)... Consider replacing that.

Looking forward to seeing that registeel in action though
I don't really consider ubers that great. Only certain setups are anything more challenging than a normal pokemon. Latios/Latias with Soul Dew, stat-upping with ubers, Wobuffet is noobish.

Pokemon like skarmory, blissey, and properly handled baton pass teams are easily just as effective.

What ubers gain in stats, they lose in status moves and tricky sets.

I don't really consider ubers that great. Only certain setups are anything more challenging than a normal pokemon. Latios/Latias with Soul Dew, stat-upping with ubers, Wobuffet is noobish.

Pokemon like skarmory, blissey, and properly handled baton pass teams are easily just as effective.

What ubers gain in stats, they lose in status moves and tricky sets.
lol wut

Actually, Muchabi is right. When using an uber team, you have to adjust your playing style to that of the uber metagame (that means some good standards in OU are crap in ubers).

And how can you say ubers aren't that great? They're banned for a reason, incase you didn't notice. They have a clear advantage over most "regular" pokemon in base stats and movepool, which definitely makes them better.

Also there are no "tricky sets" in ubers as long as you kno what you're doing.

Mew is a tricky Pokemon; it can really mess up a team! You can replace Forretress>Weezing. Weezing shouldn't be a special wall anyway. Muchabi means you are using ubers because you're running a Kyogre on your team.

lol wut

Actually, Muchabi is right. When using an uber team, you have to adjust your playing style to that of the uber metagame (that means some good standards in OU are crap in ubers).

And how can you say ubers aren't that great? They're banned for a reason, incase you didn't notice. They have a clear advantage over most "regular" pokemon in base stats and movepool, which definitely makes them better.

Also there are no "tricky sets" in ubers as long as you kno what you're doing.
Ubers don't HAVE tricky sets. You don't see ubers with moves like Will-O-Wisp, high critical-hit ratio moves, and so forth. For the most part, the entire uber moveset is recovery, stat-up, or direct damage. Wobuffet is an obvious exception.

The real advantage of an uber is the stats, like I said, in conjunction with the standard high powered moves other pokemon get, or in Kyogre and Groudon's case, water spout and eruption.

All they do is output high damage and sweep teams. But like I also said, I eat uber teams unless they have superb prediction. I really don't think ubers are that great, regardless of what the widely accepted ratings are.

Juuka said:
Mew is a tricky Pokemon; it can really mess up a team! You can replace Forretress>Weezing. Weezing shouldn't be a special wall anyway. Muchabi means you are using ubers because you're running a Kyogre on your team.
I understand what he means when he says the team is classified uber. I really wish some crappy other pokemon got drizzle. I'd take a UU with drizzle, just to be classified as a standards team. Rain dancing every fifth move isn't practical for the build style of the team.

As far as Forretress goes, I'm looked him over, and switching Weezing for him would destroy the reason I even have Weezing - haze and levitate. The team has no real defense against a fast attacker with earthquake, like the common Salamence and Metagross, unless Snorlax is already in play when they come out, which is almost never the case.

Code:
Ludicolo @ Leftovers
140 hp / 144 def / 188 sp. atk / 36 sp. def
(Rain Dish) [Modest nature]
Leech Seed
Rest
Surf
Thunderpunch
I'd have to suggest a slight moveset change. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Leech Seed, I think it's a tad weak, especially with two other forms of HP recovery. What about Sleep Talk? It would let you use Rest more while still taking out his team. Or, possibly Fire Punch? It would be a real shock coming from a Grass/Water type, plus it'd take care of any Bug-types that showed up.

Code:
Weezing @ Leftovers
252 hp / 4 def / 252 sp. def
(Levitate) [Careful nature]
Destiny Bond
Haze
Pain Split
Substitute
Ditch Pain Split, try using Shadow Ball to take care of Psychics that catch you on the switch.

I'd have to suggest a slight moveset change. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Leech Seed, I think it's a tad weak, especially with two other forms of HP recovery. What about Sleep Talk? It would let you use Rest more while still taking out his team. Or, possibly Fire Punch? It would be a real shock coming from a Grass/Water type, plus it'd take care of any Bug-types that showed up.
Leech seed is actually one of my most used abilities on Ludicolo. The reason I have leftovers/rain dish/leech seed is because I can take a massive amount of damage every round and recover it. This gives me the ability to soak some physical attackers while taking them out with STAB Calm Mind Surf, or Calm Mind Thunderpunch, and it also gives me protection against special crits that would otherwise leave me at low health with low speed. If I got rid of Leech Seed, I'd get rid of both Ludicolo and Kyogre.

Ditch Pain Split, try using Shadow Ball to take care of Psychics that catch you on the switch.
This is a good idea, I'm going to put it on.

Weezing really won't do much to the groudon that will just dance on it.

Lugia > weezing?
The team still has lots of problems against dragon dance. If I don't switch Weezing and Haze following the first dance, it generally never ends good.

But on the other hand, I've never had a team that DIDN'T have this problem.

As far as Lugia goes, I'm trying to stay away from ubers. I'll say it again: I wish a crappy pokemon had drizzle so I didn't have to use Kyogre. His nickname is JustForDrizzle.

Give registeel iron defense instead of seismic toss, Kyogre thunder instead of bolt because of the rain besides those its good

Code:
Kyogre (JustForDrizzle) @ Leftovers
4 hp / 252 sp. atk / 252 speed
(Drizzle) [Timid nature]
Ice Beam
Rest
Water Spout
Thunderbolt
Try cutting his Sp. Attack Evs in half ( 128)8 ) and giving him more in HP ( 128 )8). Leave the Speed alone, he'll need it.

Give registeel iron defense instead of seismic toss, Kyogre thunder instead of bolt because of the rain besides those its good
Registeel doesn't solo teams if he has iron defense. With seismic toss, he can sweep. Registeel also can't handle substitutes at all with iron defense.

Kyogre definitely needs thunder though, that was one of those things I keep thinking of in matches to fix and forgetting.

Lmfao @ Registeel sweeping with Seismic Toss. Just give him Rest/Sleep Talk/Toxic/Seismic Toss.
Registeel is already amazing, and is quite honestly the single perfect moveset for him. He annihilates teams regularly, about 20% of my matches are 6-0's with just the lead of Registeel.

Adding sleep talk would just make him vulnerable to special attacks as much as any pokemon. The beauty of Registeel is that he basically ends up taking no damage at all, and can shrug off status with ease. There are very few counters to him, as well.

Seriously, what is the quality of your opponents if you sweep 6-0 with Registeel. It can't do anything to Skarmory with rest whilst it spikes up and Roars you away. If this is an uber team, then equally anything with Substitute will beat it. Just seems like a dead weight.

registeel sucks
even more in ubers, with high hp pokemon being able to make 101 subs/recover
take for example groudon
it can sub, making toxic useless
it will swords dance and earthquake you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)