My unique take on OU Stall

Hi. This is my stall team. Why are you bothering to read a short, stupid paragraph with no meaningful information? Get on with it!

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability:- Solar Power (Tough Claws)
EVs:- 248 HP / 44 SDef / 216 Spd
Nature:- Jolly (+Spd -SAtk)
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Will-o-Wisp
Mega Charizard X is being seen more and more in a defensive role, its not too hard to see why. Excellent typing, good natural bulk and the ability to check problem pokemon are all in its favour. Not to mention the ability to cripple its usual counters and render them useless. Will-o-Wisp is the crux of the set, burns cut the opponents Atk and slowly reduce their HP. This is especially crippling against pokemon like Landorus-T. Roost keeps Mega Charizard X in good shape. Flare Blitz is necessary to remove pokemon that Mega Charizard X checks very well. Dragon Claw does more to Rotom-W amongst others. The EV spread is designed to be fast so Mega Charizard X can cripple opponents with Will-o-Wisp before taking an attack. Specifically, it outspeeds Kyurem-B and OHKOes with Dragon Claw after Stealth Rock. Mega Charizard X comes in very handy against the most common VoltTurn users, it checks Rotom-W and fears nothing from (Mega)Scizor at all while crippling Landorus-T on the switch in with Will-o-Wisp.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability:- Sturdy
EVs:- 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Nature:- Impish (+Def -SAtk)
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Roost
Skarmory is the main physical wall of the team and the best stop to powerful physical sweepers like Mega-Pinsir. The EVs and Nature are simple enough, they allow Skarmory to function to the best of its ability. The moves are also mostly self explanatory, especially seen as most of them have been standard since GenIV. Roost keeps Skarmory healthy, Brave Bird gives Skarmory an attacking move to retaliate with against pokemon weak to it like Breloom. Whirlwind prevents opponents setting up on Skarmory and racks up small amounts of damage with Stealth Rock when it is present. Whirlwind is also a generally safe move to use, it is the go-to in most situations when I am unsure what to do. The big support move is Defog, Skarmory is able to use this repeatedly and keep entry hazards off the field consistently, in long stall matches this is extremely important. Skarmory is often the primary switch in to predicted uses of U-Turn, it helps rack up damage via Rocky Helmet in such a situation.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability:- Natural Cure
EVs:- 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SDef
Nature:- Calm (+SDef -Atk)
- Toxic
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
Chansey has surpassed her older sister as a special wall as of the introduction of Eviolite in BW, its raw stats are off the scale. It is the best check to Mega Charizard Y on the team, despite being neutral to fire and having no way of negating Drought. This is made even more amazing by the fact that its EV spread is biased towards patching up its pitiful physical bulk to the point of usefulness, the use of a Calm Nature does help significantly with special bulk though. With such special bulk, it comes as no surprise that Chansey is able to find plenty of opportunities to switch in and support its team. The main way it does so is via Stealth Rock, the best entry hazard in the game and the only entry hazard on this team. Giving up Aromatherapy was hard, but ultimately Stealth Rock support is better than cleric support. Toxic is the main way of dealing damage indirectly to the opposing team, crippling opponents that aren't immune to it. Seismic Toss is the other option for dealing direct damage, always dealing exactly 100 damage to the opponent. Gengar and Aegislash are immune to both Toxic and Seismic Toss. Softboiled keeps Chansey healthy.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability:- Bulletproof
EVs:- 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Hammer Arm
Chesnaught is back! With changes that included a Keldeo check and a Mega Evolution, keeping Mega Venusaur was out of the question and so going back to Chesnaught was a no brainer. It does the same as it always did. Leech Seed saps HP off the opponent and heals Chesnaught, Spiky Shield protects Chesnaught and deals damage if the opponent makes contact. Combining the two provides Chesnaught with a reliable source of healing and residual damage against any opponent that isn't a grass type. Leftovers only adds to the healing. Synthesis is there to heal Chesnaught if it took big damage and the above combo isn't enough. Hammer Arm hits the pokemon that Chesnaught has business taking on, like Bisharp and (Mega)Tyranitar. Chesnaught plays best as a pivot, switching into resisted attacks and scaring out the users before hitting the switch in with Leech Seed and wearing them down slowly. Due to its huge physical bulk that can check boosted attackers with just 4 EVS and a boosting Nature, I chose to invest in special bulk to allow it to pivot against special attackers with more ease. With this, Chesnaught does incredibly well against the most common VoltTurn users, it fears nothing from Landorus-T or (Mega)Scizor while Rotom-W can only Will-o-Wisp.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability:- Unaware
EVs:- 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Nature:- Relaxed (+Def -Spd)
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic
Quagsire was chosen to better fill the gap that Hippowdon couldn't to my satisfaction. It is able to check fire types like Mega Charizard X and also other boosting physical attackers like Bisharp. Quagsire makes good use of Unaware against most of these threats, checking the opponents it is designed to take on regardless of stat changes. In fact, without Unaware Quagsire simply isn't worth using. The moveset is standard. Recover keeps Quagsire healthy, Toxic and Earthquake combine to hit nearly every opponent Quagsire might face. Earthquake hits the opponents Quagsire checks, Toxic cripples switch ins. The only OU pokemon immune to both are Gengar, Skarmory and Poison Heal Gliscor. Scald was chosen in the last slot as a secondary STAB move and a method of spreading burns to pokemon that can't be hit with Toxic.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability:- Intimidate
EVs:- 248 HP / 156 Def / 96 SDef / 8 Spe
Nature:- Careful (+SDef -SAtk)
- Rest
- Waterfall
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Dance
Gyarados fills in as a mixed wall and win condition that has little trouble functioning as a pivot as long as Stealth Rock is absent. Its EV spread and Nature allows for good mixed bulk. Specifically, a bias towards special bulk makes Gyarados more reliable against Keldeo amongst others, while Intimidate bolsters its performance against physical attackers and makes it a good pivot. The importance of Intimidate to Gyarados can't be overstated. Rest and Sleep Talk combine to give Gyarados the most reliable form of recovery available to it; Rest fully heals Gyarados and puts it to sleep for two turns, Sleep Talk allows it to make moves while it is still asleep. With the change to sleep mechanics in XY, RestTalk has become much more reliable. Dragon Dance is the boosting move of choice for Gyarados, allowing it to function as the win condition it is designed to be. Waterfall is the STAB attack of choice.

Last edited:
Here are a few things: -Don't use Chesnaught; use Mega Venusaur as it does the same thing but a lot better (Better typing, Thick Fat, Sleep Powder, Good Mixed wall)
-Replace Blissey with Eviolite Chansey and change the Nature to bold. Blissey/Chansey NEED to run a Bold Nature to be good, they are already Specially bulky enough
-Replace Foul Play on Mandibuzz with Knock off. Knock off gets rid of the opponents item which can be very helpful in stall teams. Also with Foul Play when a special attacker Switches in Mandibuzz Can't do much at all

Use Chesnaught... He's your TTar/Bisharp/Aegi counter....

Agree with replacing Bliss with chansey, not sure about knock off/foul play. Foul play is a much better use for offensive shit.

On Chesnaught, replace synthesis with EQ... it seems bad, redundant even, but you HAVE to take care of Sub Aegislash.

SpaceCake
I am keeping Chesnaught for the reasons Ajwf stated above. I am also keeping Foul Play as Mandibuzz can use it to check almost every physical attacker, Mandibuzz can Toxic special attackers or simply switch out. I am undecided on Blissey --> Chansey though, Hippowdon packs Sand Stream. My EV spread and Nature gives the most overall stat points, it isn't tailored to taking on specific threats so you might be right about Bold being better.

Ajwf
I am keeping Chesnaught for the reasons you stated. I am unsure on Blissey --> Chansey due to Hippowdon having Sand Stream, it may be worth it seen as it isn't permanent any more, I'll have to test both. Blissey is surprisingly bulky, taking things like non-STAB U-Turn like a boss. I agree that I need Earthquake on Chesnaught, however do you think that replacing Hammer Arm could be an option? It still hits Tyranitar, Bisharp, Excadrill etc and covers Aegislash like you said. I think it is worth testing at least.

Hammer arm is such a better attack for the most part, and if blissey clerics enough, synthesis is invalid (also effected by sand). Gyarados-mega is one of the major differences between the two, and it is the difference between OHKOing ttar and sitting around for a while trying to hurt it.

After testing, I found Earthquake to be unnecessary against Aegislash. I have Mandibuzz and Hippowdon to take it on, Blissey has Aromatherapy to heal Toxic if needed. I didn't use Earthquake once. Yes, Synthesis is affected by Sand Stream and often Leech Seed + Leftovers with Spiky Shield is enough to keep Chesnaught healthy, but Synthesis has come in handy after facing a +2 Bisharp on various occasions and also stalling out more powerful attacks with Leech Seed + Spiky Shield. Not often enough for me to consider it irreplaceable, but more than Earthquake.

After a long period of testing, I found that Quagsire is superior to Hippowdon in the role it plays. I also found that Stealth Rock does too little with Defog around, the pokemon that Steath Rock indirectly checks are already covered by other members of the team. Thus, the changes:

Hippowdon --> Quagsire

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability:- Unaware
EVs:- 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Nature:- Relaxed (+Def -Spd)
- Haze
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Use Chesnaught... He's your TTar/Bisharp/Aegi counter....

Agree with replacing Bliss with chansey, not sure about knock off/foul play. Foul play is a much better use for offensive shit.

On Chesnaught, replace synthesis with EQ... it seems bad, redundant even, but you HAVE to take care of Sub Aegislash.
Quick thoughts:
Mega Venusaur + Quagsire is a top tier stall core that pretty much makes Chesnaught obsolete, all of the threats mentioned are token care of by Quag(TTAR,SHARP) and Mega Venusaur(AEGIS). Second of all, Chansey > Blissey. Also Foul Play > Knock Off on Mandibuzz, it single handily lets it be the Char X hard check it is today, plus it's more consistent with all the megas running around and all the high attack stats flying around.

Quick thoughts:
Mega Venusaur + Quagsire is a top tier stall core that pretty much makes Chesnaught obsolete, all of the threats mentioned are token care of by Quag(TTAR,SHARP) and Mega Venusaur(AEGIS). Second of all, Chansey > Blissey. Also Foul Play > Knock Off on Mandibuzz, it single handily lets it be the Char X hard check it is today, plus it's more consistent with all the megas running around and all the high attack stats flying around.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you about using Mega Venusaur over Chesnaught, but not for the reason you stated. I used Chesnaught to check specially attacking water types, however it needs to be at max HP to reliably do so against Keldeo, who is one of the most threatening pokemon in the game at the moment. In short, while able to check physical attackers despite its specially defensive EV spread, it is unable to check all the special attackers to the degree I need it to even with the EV spread. I will miss Chesnaught, it is very potent with its Leech Seed, Spiky Shield combo and fun to use. Also, with Hippowdon now gone, I agree that Chansey is superior to Blissey now. This is going to mean doing a complete overhaul of the team with the changes I am making.

I wanted my stall team to be unique, so I made some more changes. I realised that Gyarados was a very good Keldeo check and could fill the role of win condition with RestTalk Dragon Dance, it could also pivot effectively with Intimidate against things like Mega Charizard X, Gyarados swapped in for Clefable. This allowed me to use Chesnaught over Mega Venusaur again, I always preferred the stalling capability of Leech Seed and Spiky Shield over the needless extra bulk of Mega Venusaur. I didn't have a Mega Evolution at this point so I looked at Mega Charizard X. It is able to check many of the same pokemon that Mandibuzz checked like Aegislash, except it isn't Rotom-W weak. So, the changes:-

Gyarados --> Clefable
Chesnaught --> Mega Venusaur
Mega Charizard X --> Mandibuzz

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability:- Intimidate
EVs:- 248 HP / 156 Def / 96 SDef / 8 Spe
Nature:- Careful (+SDef -SAtk)
- Rest
- Waterfall
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Dance

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability:- Bulletproof
EVs:- 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Hammer Arm

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability:- Solar Power (Tough Claws)
EVs:- 248 HP / 44 SDef / 216 Spd
Nature:- Jolly (+Spd -SAtk)
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Will-o-Wisp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)