My UU Rain Team

I have a rain team that seems to be working well, but I am open for and welcome criticism to try to improve my team.

Lead:

Tornadus @Damp Rock Ability: Prankster

-Taunt Nature: Naive
-Rain Dance EV: 252 Spe 156 SpA 100 HP
-Hurricane
-Hammer Arm

Obviously, the thing that gets things started. Because of Prankster, I will always have the chance to set up a taunt and more importantly a rain dance. Now this takes a bit of guessing. If I think my opponents lead will be able to OHKO me, I will ignore the taunt, and instead use rain dance. That is also the investment in HP so I can possibly survive at least one neutral hit. Hurricane and Hammer Arm leave me attacking options once my rain is set up.

Special Sweeper:

Ludicolo @Life Orb Ability: Swift Swim

-Hydro Pump Nature: Modest
-Grass Knot Ev: 252 Spe 252 SpA
-Ice Beam
-Rain Dance

The special sweeper. Hydro Pump is the main attack as in rain its power is boosted in addition to getting STAB. STAB Grass Knot serves as a counter to water pokemon that resist Hydro Pump. Rounding out the attacking moves is Ice Beam, which deals with those pesky dragons and other pokemon resisting both water and grass. Because this is a rain team, Rain Dance is for replenishment in a pinch.

Physical Sweeper:

Kabutops @Life Orb Ability: Swift Swim

-Waterfall Nature: Adamant
-Stone Edge EV: 252 Atk 252 Spe
-X Scissor
-Aqua Jet

Waterfall is the main attacking move in this set hitting very hard with both STAB and rain. Stone Edge is there as a secondary STAB to take out pokemon who resist water. X-Scissor is another powerful option for type coverage. Finally we come to aqua jet. While this move choice may seem surprising, it is in fact a useful move for revenge killing a pokemon with a priority move. Bringing into account STAB and rain, aqua jet still hits with decent power.

The Dragon:

Kingdra @Life Orb Ability: Swift Swim

-Surf NAture: Modest
-Draco Meteor EV: 252 SpA 252 Spe
-Ice Beam
-Rain Dance
Every team needs a good dragon right ? Kingdra offers destruction with his STAB surf and Draco Meteor, which is only resisted by Ferrothorn, who rests in OU. Ice beam offers an option to those who resist water if a stat drop in SpA is unwanted. Ice Beam will OHKO an opposing Flygon every time, with no unwanted stat drops. And, as always, in a pinch, Rain Dance

Rain Replenisher/Thunder/Drought Counter

Zapdos @Damp Rock Ability: Pressure

-Rain Dance Nature: Timid
-Thunder EV: 252 Spe 156 HP 100 SpA
-HP Ice
-Heat Wave

Zapdos serves a number of roles on this team. The first is a rain replenisher. Zapdos main job is to switch in after rain has run out and set up another lasting rain dance (hence the damp rock). Second, because rain is being used, its nice to be able to take advantage of a STAB thunder. Lastly, in case a drought team is faced (doesn't happen much) Overheat is there to make opponents think twice about putting a grass type in with sun.

The Annoyer/ Rapid Spinner

Blastoise @Leftovers ABility: Rain Dish

-Scald NAture: Sassy
-Rapid Spin EV: 252 HP 252 SpD
-Toxic
-Protect

Hazards, though not as large in UU can still pose a threat. This is what Blastoise is there for. Bulky enough to go in, take a hit, and spin away hazards. IN addition, he can offer as a status inflicter, stall, and just be plain annoying. Toxic will poison the foe, and then Blastoise can alternate between using scald and protect, while gaining health replenishment from leftovers and rain dish. He can offer a nice change in pace from the normal swift brutal sweeping of the rest of my team.

A few problems i run into: SubStall teams cleric Umbreons and opposing kingdra. I could use help with a viable counter for these

Wow, weather teams outside OU isn't common at all, even more a non-Hail one! So, let me see what I can say about your team:

Tornadus won't be taking a lot of hits, while it don't like the speed drop of Hammer Arm; this said Superpower instead of Hammer Arm seems a lot better, since after a speed drop it will be easier to your opponent 2HKO Tornadus than you getting the 2HKO, while Superpower packs some power more too. And with Hurricane in its arsenal, using another offensive move seems like quite rare to happen too.
Ludicolo is my next target. Grass Knot isn't the best option in hitting bulky water, simply because Giga Drain is a better idea. Most of the times Grass Knot will hit with a 80 BP (see Blastoise, Milotic and Swampert) while Giga Drain hits with a 75 BP, slightly lower, but with a recovery bonus; you will only miss a higher hit in Suicune (which can be wear down by both Ludicolo and Zapdos), Walrein (which you can defeat as long as you get rid of hail) and Kingdra (this is a huge problem for your team, for sure).
Seems odd, but your Kingdra must be Timid, otherwise an unboosted Jolly Kingdra's Outrage will make a lot of holes in your team since all your sweepers can easily be taken down since they rely in Life Orb to get the KOes they need and your Blastoise is a special defensive one. You can keep the Modest Kingdra as long as you manage to get a good counter to it, and your team lacks it.
Kabutops also could enjoy a Swords Dance build, running SD in place of X-Scissor. As long as there is rain both Waterfall and Aqua Jet will hit plant types neutraly, and with a Swords Dance boost Kabutops can deal a lot of damages even without rain.
Lastly, Blastoise isn't the best option for your team, at least not this build. A physical defensive build could be a better option since it can take 2 hits from an unboosted Kingdra with rain and Roar it away, while it can easily take a hit and Roar +1 Kingdra away, but to get this you will need to sacrifice something since Blast still is 2HKO. Otherwise, Qwilfish can be another option: your team take some damages from hazard, but will benefict by hazards more than from a spinner. With Spikes many 2HKO can become a OHKO, while it can counter physical Kingdra thanks to Intimidate.
Last note is that your team will struggle against both Raikou and Zapdos if you don't have rain set, keep in mind this otherwise you will need to put a heavy counter to both them, which will cause some major changes. A Swampert could get a spot since it packs both Rain Dance and Stealth Rock.

Good luck with your team, and I hope I could help you.

Last note is that your team will struggle against both Raikou and Zapdos if you don't have rain set, keep in mind this otherwise you will need to put a heavy counter to both them, which will cause some major changes. A Swampert could get a spot since it packs both Rain Dance and Stealth Rock.

So what do you think of this
Swampert @leftovers
-Earthquake
-Surf
-Stealth Rock
-Rain Dance ?
Or were you thinking something different

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)