XY OU My Very First Competive OU team!

Hello, my name is Angira. :)
I'm new here, but I've been interested in competive battling for a year now, and started playing on Pokemon Showdown a month ago. I have to say it taught me a lot about competitive Pokemon battles and now I'm pretty used to it. :toast:
I've been trying out some OU teams,trying to slide in my favorite Poke'mon here and there but haven't gotten much luck.However, this one I've done very well with and put quite a bit of thought into it.

Without further ado, here is my Charizard X team:

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

☆ ☆
☆☆
☆☆
☆☆

(Members from left to right: Mega-Charizard X, Landorus-Therian, Latias, Ferrothorn, Thundurus, Azumarill)

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Fang (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- ThunderPunch

My main sweeper in the team, and takes up the mega-evolution slot. I have to say, he is one of my favorite Pokemon and I would really hate to remove him from the team. However,he is no slouch as his shiny new dual Fire Dragon type allows him to hit everything for unresisted damage (except for Heatran), and he cannot be burned! Also, since Fire resists Fairy and Ice, he actually not only is protected from Ice weakness, but to Fairy as well. I put in Thunderpunch instead of Earthquake because it allows Charizard to OHKO things like Azumarill and other bulky water types that would give it trouble.
I chose Dragon claw so that I won't get locked into it and possibly get blocked by a Fairy, and Fire Punch instead of Flare Blitz because I want take as little residual damage as possible so that Charizard can survive as long as possible to continue his Dragon Danced boosted sweep.

Note: Because He is Fire Flying type when he is not Mega-Evolved, I can choose to Dragon Dance while not mega evolved.This way, I can actually resist Fairy types and when I take no damage from Earthquake, which would normally be super effective against Mega-Charizard.

Buggs (Diggersby) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Return
- Quick Attack

My second sweeper in the team, and is a very nice ground type to switch into those pesky Pranksters with Thunder Wave. It will will OHKO Heatran or anything that is weak to Ground with Earthquake. Also, after I set up with both Swords Dance, anything that doesn't resist to Return will be OHKO'ed and I can clean up weakened Scarfed Pokemon with Quick Attack.

Rose (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Pretty simple, Latias is my Defogger of the team and is my Special Attacker/Special Wall. Draco Meteor wrecks any Dragon Type very reliably,and Psyshock can let it be able to hit Chansey and Blissey. Healing Wish is there to make Latias act as cleric so if I ever need to use a crippled sweeper again, it can come back good as new. Life Orb is there to boost Latias's special attack a bit, so it can deal some more damage and possibly do some OHKO's.

Thorn (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Protect

Basically, Ferrothorn is my defensive Wall and utility Pokemon. This set is made to be as annoying as possible, so I have Rocky Helmet in addition to Iron Barbs.Also,Ferrothorn hassles sweepers with Toxic and protect, and sap HP with Leech Seed. and Ferrothorn is a nice Pivot into Charizard, Azumarill (who also resists Focus Blast) , or Landorus, as he is just begging for a fire move straight to the face.

Kazaam (Thundurus) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

He's my go to guy when it comes to water types and Talonflame. With Prankster I can just Thunderwave a problematic pokemon and while it's paralyzed proceed to set up with Charizard or Diggersby. He can use Focus Blast to nail Tyranitar and Heatran, and Thunderbolt always comes in handy for Azumarill. Hidden Power Ice is mainly there to nail Dragons and Gliscor, who is OHKO'ed as long as it doesn't invest in special defense. Focus sash let's him switch in and survive any hit and cripple the opponent with Thunderwave or possibly do some damage with a super effective move.

Nami (Azumarill) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny:Yes
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Finally, Azumarill is my fairy of the team and is the Dragon counter, and is my main Priority user.
A choice band Aqua Jet hurts, and Play Rough just wrecks anything that is weak to fairy. Waterfall is there for extra power, and Knock off can come in handy for getting rid of items and hitting Gengar hard.
With Huge Power and Choice Band, it can clean up weakened teams with Aqua Jet. Also,a 212 HP investment allows Azumarill to tank some hits, provided that it isn't super effective.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I really want to improve this team as much as possible.

Thanks! :toast:

____________:mad:_________________:mad:________________:mad:___________

Last edited:
I have a couple suggestions, first off I noticed that you have not attacking moves on your ferrothorn. This might not seem like much of a problem, except for the fact that he cannot actually affect the likes of mega venesaur, a fairly common pokemon. I suggest switching out protect for power whip, so that you can azumaril and mega gyrados. If you make the suggested change I also suggest that you switch thunder punch for earthquake on charizard, this is because ferrothorn basically walls all non-superpower azumaril. Also, I know you mentioned not liking the recoil of flare blitz, but I still suggest you use it because the power difference from fire punch is noticeable. My last suggestion is that you switch out diggersby for Landorus-t. Landorus is basically just straight out better than diggersby, with his only downfall being that he lacks priority. If you are particularly worried, you can scarf him, allowing Landorus to outspeed most other pokemon. I suggest something along the lines of this set

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Although landorus lacks priority, U-turn can easily take out weakened pokemon and allow you to keep momentum. Superpower and explosion are other options to run over knock off. Superpower is for hitting mega gyrados, ferrothorn, and air balloon heatran or excadrill. Explosion is for ridiculous damage, but should only be used when Landorus is almost dead or has no other options. The EVs are so that Landorus can outspeed mega manectric and also take a hit while getting switched in, but if you prefer a more offensive variant, invest more in attack.

I have a couple suggestions, first off I noticed that you have not attacking moves on your ferrothorn. This might not seem like much of a problem, except for the fact that he cannot actually affect the likes of mega venesaur, a fairly common pokemon. I suggest switching out protect for power whip, so that you can azumaril and mega gyrados. If you make the suggested change I also suggest that you switch thunder punch for earthquake on charizard, this is because ferrothorn basically walls all non-superpower azumaril. Also, I know you mentioned not liking the recoil of flare blitz, but I still suggest you use it because the power difference from fire punch is noticeable. My last suggestion is that you switch out diggersby for Landorus-t. Landorus is basically just straight out better than diggersby, with his only downfall being that he lacks priority. If you are particularly worried, you can scarf him, allowing Landorus to outspeed most other pokemon. I suggest something along the lines of this set

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Although landorus lacks priority, U-turn can easily take out weakened pokemon and allow you to keep momentum. Superpower and explosion are other options to run over knock off. Superpower is for hitting mega gyrados, ferrothorn, and air balloon heatran or excadrill. Explosion is for ridiculous damage, but should only be used when Landorus is almost dead or has no other options. The EVs are so that Landorus can outspeed mega manectric and also take a hit while getting switched in, but if you prefer a more offensive variant, invest more in attack.
Hmm, looks like Choice Scarf Landorus-T might be better than Diggersby, and looks like I don't need ThunderPunch if I change FirePunch with with Flare Blitz and add in Earthquake.
Also, I did some damage calculations and:
4 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 296-350 (74.3 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 80-94 (22.7 - 26.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 115-136 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 3.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 36-42 (10.2 - 11.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 71-84 (20.1 - 23.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 284-336 (80.6 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It looks like even Choice band Azumarill's best option other than Superpower would be Knock off, and even then it's only 3.7% chance to 3HKO, so that's definitely going to replace Protect....
Thanks for your advice, I'll try the changes and will see how it works! :D

Hey Bro, nice team. Here are a few suggestions:

As WafflesTitan said, Earthquake and Flare Blitz for Zard X and Power Whip for Ferrothorn necessary changes that you should make.

Other than that, I suggest running Gyro Ball instead of Toxic on Ferro as it can do some massive damage. There is no point running 0 speed EVs on Ferro otherwise.

Also while Focus Blast does allow you to screw over Ttar and Heatran, taunt is also a good option to stop stall teams and Hazard setters in their tracks. Just food for thought.

Hope it helps!
-PK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)