1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

My VGC Team (Thank you for your feedback)

Discussion in 'VGC' started by KingWein, May 8, 2014.

1. KingWein

KingWein

Hello, everyone! Thank you for taking the time to rate my 1st team. I have tried this team with little success (Battle Spot, that is. I have a bad record there this 3rd season)

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Protect
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball

I went with Mega Gardevoir because I like how she can hit hard with Moonblast. Excellent for Non-Assault Vest T-Tar and pesky Dragons like Garchomp. Psychic is to deal with the Poison Types like Venusaur, Amonguss. Shadow Ball is for Mega Gengar and other Ghost-Types.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Stance Change
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - King's Shield
    - Iron Head
    - Sacred Sword
    - Shadow Sneak

The reason I did not go with Sword Dance is because it would get slapped before I get a chance to set it up. I was always advised to go with Brave Nature so it can go last and when it gets hit with a Super Effective attack, Weakness Policy activates, and it is game over for most of the opponents, especially Sucker Punch Kangaskhan.

Vaporeon @ Wacan Berry
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Acid Armor
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Wish

I like Vaporeon. Acid Armor is for +2 Def, while Wish (since you no longer need Baton Pass for the move) can heal itself or my switch in after a free hit (I usually do this with Ageislash). Surf is for STAB mostly while Ice Beam can help hit the Grass and Dragon types respectfully. Wacan Berry is for dealing with the Electric attacks that target it first.

Machamp @ Lum Berry
    Ability: No Guard
    Adamant Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Dynamic Punch
    - Payback
    - Earthquake

I've liked Machamp back in the good ol' days and with its classic No Guard-D Punch combo, it can help confuse opponents until the end of the battle. I use Stone Edge for the Non Gale Wings Flying Types, Payback since it is not the speediest, but can slap Ghosts and Psychics good. Earthquake is for Steel, Rock, and Fire Types.

Klefki @ Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Thunder Wave

While many use Meowstic, I like using this Steel/Fairy. I set up the Dual Wall to help my team live a little longer. Thunder Wave is for the non-Ground Types to slow down immensely and Dazzling Gleam is for STAB, mostly. Leftovers is because I lack a Light Clay at this time.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Protect

A standard set, I guess. Flare Blitz for STAB, Brave Bird for Gale Wings, along with Roost. Protect is to see if I find those Rock Slide/Stone Edge users or for scouting their moveset. Life Orb is to make it more powerful.

I do have alternatives:

Malamar @ Shell Bell
    Ability: Contrary
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Def / 108 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Psycho Cut
    - Night Slash
    - Superpower
    - Topsy-Turvy

I like this ability of Malamar. Psycho Cut fights off the Poison, Fighting kind. Superpower is for making him bulkier in Defense. Night Slash is to deal with the Psychic, Ghost kind. Topsy-Turvy is for the stat boosting opponent. I gave it Shell Bell to help it live longer.

Chesnaught @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Overgrow
    Adamant Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Hammer Arm
    - Stone Edge
    - Spiky Shield

Wood Hammer is to get rid of Water, Ground and Rock types. Hammer Arm is for Steel, Rock, Dark kind. Stone Edge to get rid of the pesky Fire and Flying. Spiky Shield to help protect him from the physical attackers while giving them a little pain.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Dragon Claw
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake

Charizard @ Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Flare Blitz
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Fang

Again, thank you for taking the time to look over my team and giving me your insight. I will do my best to hopefully encounter you in the future so we can battle.
  2. klvkboom

klvkboom

The biggest issue I find is the waste of very valuable attack slots on your movesets. For example take Vaporeon, you should almost never use Acid Armor as well as Wish. In a doubles environment you can't afford to waste time and tank (unless you have some hefty resists) because everything hits incredibly hard. Machamp with Earthquake? Not only is it redundant coverage with DPunch but it also hits over half of the team, not to mention running both Stone Edge and Payback (should be Knock Off) is more than enough coverage than you'll ever need (too much I might say). Malamar does not need Topsy-Turvy. As "fancy" as a play that might is, Malamar is better off just throwing Superpowers.

Same goes for most of your other Pokes, half of their attacks you'll never use in a majority of your games, and I feel as if you slapped it on for lack of a better move. Stick with your STABs, and possibly coverage move if you have a certain weakness.
  3. gamer boy

gamer boy

This isn't the right place for RMTs, but whatever.

The thing that I notice about this team is its very... what's the word?... 'singlesy'. There is a complete lack of Protect/Detect on this team outside of Talonflame who has sub-optimal EVs for such a set and generally prefers to be supporting with Quick Guard and Tailwind if it lacks Choice Band - not roosting. As for the other things, why are you even considering Shell Bell on Malamar? The item is so bad its embarasing. Also, there is no point running Topsy Turvy if you have no Draco Meteor, Overheat etc. 'mons. AV T-Tar sucks in doubles as it basically needs either Protect or Scarf to function and why are you considering Dragon Claw. Also, Mixtar is so much better than Physitar outside of Mega sets. Chesnaught has no reason to not run Bulletproof as its ability, and Charizard X should have Protect over Fire Fang, although Charizard Y is generally better anyway. That Vaporeon set just made me lol when I saw it. The machamp set is bad enough to make me shake my head in dismay, and Stone Edge is so bad in doubles - being completely outclassed by Rock Slide which is more accurate and deals spread damage. Furthermore, the flinches are far more helpful in doubles. The Aegislash set is just bad. Special and mixed sets completely outclass it.

In future, if you want a tam RMT'd you should go here.
  4. Chipndip

Chipndip

Gonna be brief:

-Vaporeon should be more offensive or straight up removed. Acid Armor is a no. Wish is pretty much a no too. Use Scald, not Surf.

-Get rid of EQ on Machamp.

-Chesnaught needs Bullet Proof.

-Tyranitar could appreciate being a special set.

-Char X needs Protect. Also might appreciate D. Dance.

-That Gardevoir set is god awful. Modest 4/252/252 is bad. You need at least 252 HP and 120 Def. At least.

-Special Aegis > Physical Aegis

-I'd go either with a Band, a Charti Berry, or a simple Sharp Beak. Added recoil from Life Orb is the worst option for Talonflame in my honest opinion.

-Remove Topsy-Turvy on Malamar. Remove Shell Bell and put something else.
  5. Laurel

Laurel Pain is only temporary
    is a Tiering Contributor

Your team seems pretty unique KingWein! This should be in the RMT section as gamerboy said but I'll try and help anyways. I would definitely add the mega charizard-x over Vaporeon. Because you don't have an electric resist, I'd also drop fire fang on it for protect. Then I'd change Mega Gardevoir for regular scarf gardevoir to give your team some more offensive pressure. I think dual screens klefki + charizard-x would be a real force!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)