XY OU My VoltTurn Core Offensive Team (First Thread)

Hi, guys! This is my first time making a thread and a RMT one..
Well, I just want to show you my team I use in Pokemon Showdown, and please leave comments if you can to help me improve it. It is mostly offensive, and it is based on the VoltTurn core (with Rotom-w and Landorus-t). Anyway, here it is....

Cloyster @ Focus sash
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 spe / 4 Def
-Rapid Spin
-Spikes
-Icicle Spear
-Shell Smash
===This is usually my lead, and this guy is to clear entry hazards, set up Spikes, or set up Shell Smash whenever he has the chance. Offensive support, in other words. Can possibly be a late-game sweeper, due to its Shell Smash. It probably does not need any support; it is quite independent. Also, Mega Pinsir really needs Stealth Rock out of the battlefield, so I get Cloyster to have Rapid Spin. However, I find it having a hard time finding itself in the battlefield again in order to use Rapid Spin, more Spikes, or set up with Shell Smash without fainting. It has a focus sash although it is usually hit by any entry hazard while switching in, making the focus sash practically useless. I might need another rapid spinner, but I think one is enough.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Knock Off
===As an offensive pivot, he has great utility with Intimidate, and gains momentum for my team with U-turn. Knock off to remove leftovers, eviolite, scarves, etc. etc. from annoying defensive pokemon, like Mandibuzz, Chansey, and Gliscor. He has a rocky helmet to deal extra damage to physical attackers. Rotom-W is a great partner, due to the fact that he can usually destroy Mold Breaker Excadrill. Leave it to Mega Pinsir to kill Grass-types that Rotom-W truly despises. He can also switch in to Ground-type moves that obliterate Magnezone. He can usually stop some physical setup sweepers like Mega Charizard X with Intimidate and Earthquake. Can switch in to Thunder Wave.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Trick
-Hidden Power Ice
===Yes, a revenge killer. Uses Volt Switch to gain momentum of course, and has Trick to cripple and surprise some stallers, I guess. Landorus-T is a great partner for this mysterious washing machine. Rotom-W can switch in to Water-type Pokemon that threaten Landorus-t. He has decent synergy with Pinsir and Magnezone, too, since he can safely switch into and destroy some Fire-, Flying-, Rock-, and Ground-types. Maximum speed EVs to barely outspeed and surprise MegaManetric. However, Ice flat out kills Landorus and Mega-Pinsir, and Rotom-W has no super-effective moves for Ice-types; but the only Ice-type I have seen usually is Mamoswine, an easy target for Rotom-W because of its Ground-typing. Leave it to Mega Pinsir to kill Grass-types that Rotom-W truly despises.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper (just kidding, n00b it's Huge Power)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
-Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Knock Off
-Aqua Jet
===Great tank, and can tank physical and special attackers and hit back quite hard. Landorus-t helps, due to his Intimidate ability, making Azumarill even harder to take down. However, I don't have Wish passers, but I don't think I need them. Knock Off again, since it is very annoying and useful. Useful for slaying Dragon-types, since other teammates has trouble killing. For example, it can switch into Outrage from a Garchomp, of course. It has Pinsir and Landorus to cover up its Grass- and Electric-type weaknesses, respectively.

Mega-Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter, Aerilate (Mega Evolution)
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Return
-Quick Attack
-Close Combat
===Late-game setup sweeper, but has many common checks, such as Talonflame, Excadrill, and some steel-types like Skarmory. Let Azumarill and Rotom-W take care of most. As it uses Swords Dance, it can obliterate most anything once its checks and counters have been cleaned from the game. Return does nearly 200 damage, and Close Combat, despite the defense drops after use, is useful for coverage. Takes horrible damage from Stealth Rock, but Cloyster can use Rapid Spin to clear it. (thanks, Cloyster)

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power Fire
-Thunderbolt
===Steel trapper, to get rid of problematic Steel-types, like Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. 84 Speed EVs to outspeed minimum speed Skarmory. Can sometimes do good damage to other opposing Pokemon as well. Volt Switch is to gain momentum and escape horrible switch-ins, like ground-types. Has Azumarill, Rotom-W, and sometimes Landorus-t and Cloyster to cover up its Fighting-, Fire- and Ground-type weaknesses. It probably has trouble taking down Heatran, but leave it to Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Landorus-t, all of who can destroy it. Can switch in to Toxic.

Ok... So that's my offensive team. I only peaked at 1390 because this team is kinda new to me. Please correct my team if it has any errors (like telling me what EV spreads I should change and what Pokemon I should replace, etc.), since I greatly appreciate it.

-toenails_sauce
<My Azumarill in battle.

Last edited:
Hi! I took a look at your team and I am just going to let you know how your team is, and try to give you suggestions on how to make it better.

Cloyster
First off, Cloyster is not that great of a lead for spikes. If you are running shell smash, you should consider giving it more offensive moves (rock blast, hydro pump/razor shell). Cloyster can be your rapid spin support, but keep in mind special moves will decimate it. If you are looking for an offensive lead, consider this set:
Cloyster @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
EVs: 232 Atk / 32 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump
- Rock Blast

This set utilizes Cloyster's ability, Skill link, as well as taking advantage of the +2 to all of its offenses. If you are looking to keep rapid spin, I would suggest using a pokemon that does it better. Defog is also an option, with the trade off of getting rid of your hazards. If you are looking for a lead, I would suggest this:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt/Toxic
- Defog

This set negates any powder moves thanks to Overcoat (Breloom's Spore), as well as being a rather fast taunt user, or toxic depending on your preference. This makes Mandibuzz a great lead. Foul play uses the opponent's attack stat against them, and really does some damage, while Roost+leftovers helps recovery. Defog benefits Mega Pinsir, as well as giving Mandibuzz it's own support with getting rid of Stealth Rock.

Cloyster is a great offensive lead, but keep in mind that it's role to spin may let you down thanks to slow speed (without shell smash), as well as awful special defense. I would do research on a better spikes user, if that is what you are going for.

Landorus-T
I liked this set to begin with. Landorus-T is a great pivot, and the Intimidate+U-turn core works well with Landorus. Rotom-W and Magnezone are both great switch ins for an ice beam. Stealth Rock is a good move on him as well, but if you want a more offensive presence I would suggest stone edge instead (but I like SR on him). Other then that, this is a good set to have.

Rotom-W
The set you have is great. It works well with Landorus-T, and Rotom-W can be an asset to your team. As I am going through your team at this point, I noticed most of your Pokemon deal with entry hazards well (bar your mega). Having a defog/spinner may not be that big of a deal for your team if you end up changing your mega. Levitate users will not be hit with sticky web, spikes or toxic spikes. And you have a magnezone which is steel type, not taking toxic spikes into consideration. Anyways, Rotom-W looks good.

Azumarill
I like this set on Azumarill, except for Knock off and the Assault Vest. Knock off is a good option, but keep in mind that Landorus-T already has this move, and having Superpower would be great for taking down Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Chansey. Knock off is a great move on Azumarill, but just be aware that Superpower is a great alternative. The Assault Vest is not a bad item choice. I actually want to see how my Azumarill would work with it, but giving Azumarill leftovers, life orb, or a Lum berry really help it hit harder, or gain back momentum, respectively. Overall good choice, and good set.

Pinsir-Mega
So, if you do decide to keep Mega Pinsir, keep in mind you WILL need support for Stealth rock. Mega Pinsir is a great Pokemon and I like your set, but it cannot function unless stealth rocks are cleared. That's why Mandibuzz/defog/spin user is mandatory on your team. However, if you were to go with another mega, (Alakazam, Heracross) which hit just as hard and are relatively fast, you wouldn't need as much support with spinners/defog users. If you do keep Pinsir, make sure you have the support necessary.

Magnezone
Great set on this one. I like the Choice Specs. You said that you could get out of ground types with volt switch, but you understand that you cannot switch out if you use volt switch on a ground type? Just making that clear. I am not sure if out-speeding Skarmory is really necessary, considering Magnezone has a X.25 resistance to Brave bird, and with your set you cannot be taunted since you carry no status moves, as well as going first against a Skarmory that decides to whirlwind Magnezone away. The only thing you have to fear is a stealth rock or spikes, but Skarmory will go down regardless.

Something to keep in mind about your team is that you do not have a cleric for your team. This can really be helpful, because burns, and paralysis will cripple some of your Pokemon. Overall, nice team. Let me know if I helped you in any way, good luck!
~E

Hi! I took a look at your team and I am just going to let you know how your team is, and try to give you suggestions on how to make it better.

Cloyster
First off, Cloyster is not that great of a lead for spikes. If you are running shell smash, you should consider giving it more offensive moves (rock blast, hydro pump/razor shell). Cloyster can be your rapid spin support, but keep in mind special moves will decimate it. If you are looking for an offensive lead, consider this set:
Cloyster @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
EVs: 232 Atk / 32 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump
- Rock Blast

This set utilizes Cloyster's ability, Skill link, as well as taking advantage of the +2 to all of its offenses. If you are looking to keep rapid spin, I would suggest using a pokemon that does it better. Defog is also an option, with the trade off of getting rid of your hazards. If you are looking for a lead, I would suggest this:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt/Toxic
- Defog

This set negates any powder moves thanks to Overcoat (Breloom's Spore), as well as being a rather fast taunt user, or toxic depending on your preference. This makes Mandibuzz a great lead. Foul play uses the opponent's attack stat against them, and really does some damage, while Roost+leftovers helps recovery. Defog benefits Mega Pinsir, as well as giving Mandibuzz it's own support with getting rid of Stealth Rock.

Cloyster is a great offensive lead, but keep in mind that it's role to spin may let you down thanks to slow speed (without shell smash), as well as awful special defense. I would do research on a better spikes user, if that is what you are going for.

Landorus-T
I liked this set to begin with. Landorus-T is a great pivot, and the Intimidate+U-turn core works well with Landorus. Rotom-W and Magnezone are both great switch ins for an ice beam. Stealth Rock is a good move on him as well, but if you want a more offensive presence I would suggest stone edge instead (but I like SR on him). Other then that, this is a good set to have.

Rotom-W
The set you have is great. It works well with Landorus-T, and Rotom-W can be an asset to your team. As I am going through your team at this point, I noticed most of your Pokemon deal with entry hazards well (bar your mega). Having a defog/spinner may not be that big of a deal for your team if you end up changing your mega. Levitate users will not be hit with sticky web, spikes or toxic spikes. And you have a magnezone which is steel type, not taking toxic spikes into consideration. Anyways, Rotom-W looks good.

Azumarill
I like this set on Azumarill, except for Knock off and the Assault Vest. Knock off is a good option, but keep in mind that Landorus-T already has this move, and having Superpower would be great for taking down Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Chansey. Knock off is a great move on Azumarill, but just be aware that Superpower is a great alternative. The Assault Vest is not a bad item choice. I actually want to see how my Azumarill would work with it, but giving Azumarill leftovers, life orb, or a Lum berry really help it hit harder, or gain back momentum, respectively. Overall good choice, and good set.

Pinsir-Mega
So, if you do decide to keep Mega Pinsir, keep in mind you WILL need support for Stealth rock. Mega Pinsir is a great Pokemon and I like your set, but it cannot function unless stealth rocks are cleared. That's why Mandibuzz/defog/spin user is mandatory on your team. However, if you were to go with another mega, (Alakazam, Heracross) which hit just as hard and are relatively fast, you wouldn't need as much support with spinners/defog users. If you do keep Pinsir, make sure you have the support necessary.

Magnezone
Great set on this one. I like the Choice Specs. You said that you could get out of ground types with volt switch, but you understand that you cannot switch out if you use volt switch on a ground type? Just making that clear. I am not sure if out-speeding Skarmory is really necessary, considering Magnezone has a X.25 resistance to Brave bird, and with your set you cannot be taunted since you carry no status moves, as well as going first against a Skarmory that decides to whirlwind Magnezone away. The only thing you have to fear is a stealth rock or spikes, but Skarmory will go down regardless.

Something to keep in mind about your team is that you do not have a cleric for your team. This can really be helpful, because burns, and paralysis will cripple some of your Pokemon. Overall, nice team. Let me know if I helped you in any way, good luck!
~E

Hey, thanks man! I did change my Cloyster into a more offensive set and replaced Mega Pinsir with Mega Alakazam, a excellent revenge killer. Maybe Mega Gardevoir is a good replacement too, because it despises Steel-types, thus relying on Magnezone to take them down. This might lead to a decent synergy as well. I also did most of the things you have suggested on my other Pokemon.

Thank you! I truly appreciate your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)