1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

My Weird Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by The Yellow Grovyle, Nov 24, 2012.

1. The Yellow Grovyle

The Yellow Grovyle

The Pokemon
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a really straightforward offensive team with necessary support thrown in here and there.
    Details

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Life Orb
    Flash Fire
    Modest
    4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    -Flame Charge
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power Ice
    A little unorthodox, but effective. This was mainly used to stop Genesect before the suspect test so hopefully Genesect stays. A single Flame Charge allows Heatran to outspeed max Tornadus-T with a modest nature. If the opponent doesn't have any scarfed Pokemon, Heatran can basically plow through everything bar other Air Balloon Heatran and bulky water types. His job here is to create holes in the opponent's team. Fire Blast is the main STAB. Earth Power for non-Balloon Heatran. Hidden Power Ice for Tornadus-T, THundurus-T, and Dragon types

[​IMG]
    Deoxys-D @ Rocky Helmet
    Pressure
    Calm
    252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    -Stealth Rock
    -Spikes
    -Taunt/Recover
    -Night Shade/Recover
    Deoxys' job is to basically set up hazards to aid the Heatran, Breloom, and Dragonite sweep. Rocky Helmet to crap on physical attackers. If it finishes setting up I can use it as death fodder for certain situations. It really doesn't do anything else, that's why Recover is a secondary option for the third and fourth moveslot. I'd love for some advice for Deoxys. Taunt to stop slower Pokeomn that set up hazards. Night Shade for some damage.

[​IMG]
    Breloom @ Life Orb
    Technician
    Adamant
    4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Spore
    -Swords Dance
    -Mach Punch
    -Bullet Seed
    The classic, obvious Techniloom set. I replaced a Scizor with Breloom cuz Breloom is just that much better. I can come in on a choiced Pokemon locked into a move I resist, and when the opponent sends out a sleep fodder which is most likely slower than Breloom, I SD, Spore, SD again. From there I Mach Punch everything and Bullet Seed Water types. It gets rid of other Heatran and Steel types for Heatran and Dnite, respectively. Really straightforward for Breloom.

[​IMG]
    Blastoise @ Leftovers
    Torrent
    Calm
    252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    -Scald
    -Rapid Spin
    -Mirror Coat
    -Roar
    Again, unorthodox. Blastoise in OU? i know, ridiculous. But, it really works as long as I dont get critted on... anyway. Basically it also takes on Genesect and other special attackers before retaliating with Mirror Coat. Blastoise can also phaze with roar, spin away hazards, and scald anything, with the chance of burn. So, Blastoise is here to just take care of other pokes, potentially walling on both sides...

[​IMG]
    Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    Calm
    252 Hp / 36 Def / 220 SpD
    -Scald
    -Recover
    -Shadow Ball
    -Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
    I know. Scald and WoW. I just want a mostly guaranteed burn in case there's like a Dnite or something that's giving me a problem. Recover is there for the obvious longevity. Shadow Ball hits Gengar and other Deoxys and so on.
    Toxic is viable... but i prefer WoW just to crap on physical attackers better.

[​IMG]
    Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Multiscale
    Adamant
    4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Fire Punch
    -Extremespeed
    Another classic. Really straightforward. Late game sweeping. Outrage is powerful STAB. Fire Punch to hit Ferro. Extremespeed to finish off a faster Pokemon.

This is my first RMT post so don't criticize my post I'm new to this kind of thing. But i will gladly take advice this team is still a work in progress.
  2. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene +Dread Arceus: the edgier the name, the higher the crit rate
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey. Your team looks pretty solid for a first-time poster, but I feel that it suffers from a lack of focus. You have powerful offensive beasts in the form of Dragonite, Heatran, and Breloom, and the proper support in the form of Deoxys-D, but your offensive momentum is broken by Blastoise and Jellicent. Since I'm feeling more of an offensive vibe from this team, I'd start this off by recommending the use of Specially Defensive Rotom-W over Jellicent. This change eliminates your vulnerability to Tornadus-T and reduces the threat level of Mamoswine for your team. This change also gives your team a means of securing momentum in the form of Volt Switch. In addition, I'd also recommend the use of Bulky Starmie over Blastoise. With Rotom-W and Heatran to rout Genesect and the removal of Jellicent, Keldeo becomes a slight problem for your team to deal with. Starmie removes that problem, while providing many of the same utilities that Blastoise brought to the table. With that, your team has become much better than it normally would have been.

However, there are some nitpicks that can still be made. For Deoxys-D, I'd recommend using an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe over your current spread, Taunt in the third moveslot, Thunder Wave in the last moveslot, and a Mental Herb over Rocky Helmet. These changes make Deoxys-D a much better lead for your team, all while ensuring your team that lead Volcarona can't get easy set-up opportunities against it. The Mental Herb also assures your team that Pranksters won't be able to stop Deoxys-D from setting hazards up. For Breloom, I'd recommend using a Fighting Gem over Life Orb and an EV spread of 68 HP / 224 Atk / 216 Spe. This spread grants Breloom the ability to live through a non-boosted Terrakion's Close Combat, and the Fighting Gem lets Breloom deal major damage to those that lack a resistance to Fighting-type moves after a boost. A summarized list of changes can be seen below.

Sets:
    [​IMG]
    Rotom [Wash] @ Chesto Berry | Levitate
    Calm | 248 HP / 28 SpA / 228 SpD / 4 Spe | 0 Atk
    Volt Switch | Hydro Pump | Will-O-Wisp | Rest

[​IMG]
    Starmie @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
    Timid | 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe | 0 Atk
    Surf | Psyshock | Rapid Spin | Recover

Nitpicks:
    • [​IMG] ----> [​IMG]
    • [​IMG] ----> [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
      • 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Calm ----> 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe Timid
      • Recover ----> Taunt
      • Night Shade ----> Thunder Wave
      • Rocky Helmet ----> Mental Herb
    • [​IMG]
      • Life Orb ----> Fighting Gem
      • 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe ----> 68 HP / 224 Atk / 216 Spe
  3. Yeezy D

Yeezy D

Just some move suggestions - run Night Shade over Recover, as it then becomes the suicide hazard-setter we all love to hate. Basically you need Night Shade as an attacking move due to the prominance of Prankster-Taunters and base 100 Taunters, which are becoming slightly more common. Also, may I suggest Waterfall over Extremespeed on Dragonite? I always run it on a physical Dnite so you can hit its usual counters (Gliscor, Landy T)...

Hope I helped at all!
  4. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

Hey!

Good start to your team. It seems a bit erratic - trying to do too much. You've got Deoxys-D which points towards Heavy Offense, but then Blastoise and Jellicent are bringing down that Offensive tempo. Let's try to narrow your team into a cohesive unit. One thing I like to focus on with Heavy offense is "winning before the other team does." While it might sound obvious, if you can execute your strategy before the other team, you're going to control the match and likely win as a result.

First, let's switch up your Deoxys-d set a little bit. The optimal set for the metagame right now is 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Sp Def. You'd rather give Genesect the Attack boost, because without a Choice Band, no normal set can OHKO you. For your item, I'd recommend Mental Herb. It has the most use in the widest array of battles. You can use a more complicated set with Red Card, but I wouldn't recommend it for you. Use the moves Taunt / Thunder Wave / Spikes / Stealth Rock. At the very least, you should be able to start the match with Stealth Rock and probably a lot more.

Next, I think Blastoise is close to useless for your team. For the closest fit, you could try Offensive Rapid Spin Starmie. It's pretty decent, but I think a better fit for your team would be Life Orb Latios. Use Recover / Psyshock / Draco Meteor / Surf for your moves. LO Latios will give you a solid mid-game wall breaker and take advantage of Deoxys-D's entry hazards.

After that, let's switch Jellicent to Gengar. You can basically choose any set you want since they're all about the same. My personal preference is a Life Orb with Thunder because it allows you to beat Tentacruel. Gengar, like Latios, will also give you a good Wall breaker to take advantage of entry hazards. Gengar is also a good lure for Pokemon like Scizor. You can take advantage of that and set up Heatran. As an aside, Gengar can counter RP Landorus with Hidden Power Ice or Disable (if you choose to run one of the two). Rock Polish Pokemon are the most dangerous threats to Heavy Offense in my opinion.

Good luck!
  5. mak444

mak444

Hey!

your team looks awesome but the only problem i see is your blastoise u can easily change it with foretress with the moveset

foretress
    careful @ leftovers/shedshell
    trait: sturdy
    252 hp, 252 spD and 4 def
    rapid spin
    stealth rocks
    spikes/toxicspikes
    earthquake/ payback

foretress can spin away entry hazards plus it can set up up on its own now if u go with foretress u dont need deoxys-D u can go with choice specs/scarf latios which has good synergy with heatan and can act as ur revenge killer

latios @ choice specs/scarf
    levitate
    252 spA, 252spe, 4 spD
    timid/modest

draco meteor
    Hidden power(fire)
    surf
    psyshock/trick

u have choice between trick and psyshock trick will criple pokemons like blissey/chansey and psyshock is replacement if u want it to be more offensive....

other than that ur team looks fine.
  6. tehy

tehy

Most of the above edits are good, but assuming you're disregarding them, a few things.

Firstly, you could always go ahead and run skill swap mental herb taunt deoxys-D. That can set up 1 layer on essentially anything-xatu and espeon think you can't do anything to them, so the switch is obvious, assuming they don't lead with them. (Xatu especially). Once you've skill swapped with them, you can go ahead and lay down layers. It also beats sableye, and even gives you prankster temporarily in the process, which turns a mostly hard counter into free hazards. Or you could run magic coat, which beats a lot of things as well.

Secondly, if you're running blastoise, go the extra mile and just run foresight, which is IMO the only real reason to run him over starmie/tentacruel. Mirror coat is a cool surprise, but chances are you'll switch into one, take a hit, then either be finished or force them out. Foresight, on the other hand, can give you 100% guaranteed spin, if you really want it.

Finally, jellicent really wants taunt, especially with the special defense to not care about starmie, and with lumnite/heatran for celebi. Taunt, on the other hand, stops things from setting up on you, toxic'ing you, etc.

Edit: Running that forretress set is just asking to be set up on and swept. It's also not a good spinner or hazards setter, really. You do sort of need a revenge-killer, though-anything that can tank an e-speed and a mach punch is highly problematic for you.
  7. MewTheDestroyer

MewTheDestroyer

Pointless Reply

I feel like your team has a lack of synergy, you do have fire, water, grass core, and you have the steel, dragon, which is good, but Life Orb Landorus goes through that team, Blastoise having Mirror Coat is pretty cool, it provides a suprise that I would never be prepared for and I don't think many others would either, but again with Landy, you could exchange Blasty with Starmie so you could have a faster poke that gets Ice Beam, that would be a perfect counter :) Hope I helped!

~Mike or Mew

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)