SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I always suspected that Zinnia was not meant to be the lorekeeper, since there is a missing link between the grandmother at Meteor falls and Zinnia. Interesting that Aster (A) begot lorekeeper Zinnia (Z).
True, but why would Zinnia refer to her mother by her name, especially when she's having that emotional break down?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Aster was probably just a slightly older mentor or possibly an older sibling/cousin.

Cresselia~~ you can read Japanese, correct? Can you please go through that interview from the April issue of Nintendo Dream and confirm if what I posted is correct?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Aster was probably just a slightly older mentor or possibly an older sibling/cousin.

Cresselia~~ you can read Japanese, correct? Can you please go through that interview from the April issue of Nintendo Dream and confirm if what I posted is correct?
Do you have a link at all?

Seems only talking about Altaria girl, Team Magma Team Aqua, and Mega Flygon.

I wanted to make this a new thread, but I wanted to test the waters first, and see if anyone would find it interesting enough, at least to the point where it wouldn't be considered a waste of a topic, and closed.

I find it interesting how many Pokémon are introduced as only one offs or can only be acquired as an egg in the generation they are introduced in, while others can be found in many regions.

For example:
Eevee:
Introduced in: Kanto
Native to: Sinnoh, Hoenn, and Kalos
Special Notes: Since they can only be found in the Trophy Garden in Sinnoh, it is hard to tell if they travel all the way from Kalos (the only known region with an apparently large, stable population), or if there is just a very small population scattered throughout Sinnoh.

And then there are Pokémon like Weedle, who are native to Kanto, Johto, and Kalos. There are also apparently small populations in Sinnoh, since they can be found in the Eterna Forest and Route 204 under special conditions.

And then it starts to get strange as you get to the evolutions, especially when they appear in the anime, but not in the games. Well, for Beedrill, that was initially not the case. To be sure, they appeared in Kanto, but not until in GSC and their remakes.
Beedrills can be also in Johto, though they are rare, and never leave their trees. They also live in Unova (though strangely, Weedles are nowhere to be found).

And then there are the Starters, who apparently aren't native to any regions we've visited yet.

I wanted to make this a new thread, but I wanted to test the waters first, and see if anyone would find it interesting enough, at least to the point where it wouldn't be considered a waste of a topic, and closed.

I find it interesting how many Pokémon are introduced as only one offs or can only be acquired as an egg in the generation they are introduced in, while others can be found in many regions.

For example:
Eevee:
Special Notes: Since they can only be found in the Trophy Garden in Sinnoh, it is hard to tell if they travel all the way from Kalos (the only known region with an apparently large, stable population), or if there is just a very small population scattered throughout Sinnoh.

And then there are Pokémon like Weedle, who are native to Kanto, Johto, and Kalos. There are also apparently small populations in Sinnoh, since they can be found in the Eterna Forest and Route 204 under special conditions.

And then it starts to get strange as you get to the evolutions, especially when they appear in the anime, but not in the games. Well, for Beedrill, that was initially not the case. To be sure, they appeared in Kanto, but not until in GSC and their remakes.
Beedrills can be also in Johto, though they are rare, and never leave their trees. They also live in Unova (though strangely, Weedles are nowhere to be found).

And then there are the Starters, who apparently aren't native to any regions we've visited yet.
You are forgetting that Eevee can also be found in the wild in Unova. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Castelia_City#Castelia_Park

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

For example:
Eevee:

A thread for odd Pokemon distributions? Sounds like an interesting topic, would sort of be a copy of the movepool oddities but the Pokemon Like thread is a copy of the Pokemon Annoyance thread so I think there would be a problem.

Any Pokemon in the Trophy Garden isn't native to Sinnoh, Mr. Backlot's butler says they import them in as to note make Backlot look like a liar when he says he has a certain Pokemon living in his garden. So any Pokemon from Gen IV that comes from the Trophy Garden shouldn't technically count.

But as Mulan15262 pointed out, the first legitimate Eevee found in the wild was in Unova in Castelia Park. Being how Castelia Park is pretty much a secret place and is said to be where Castelia City began it does bring up some questions. Was the wilderness where Castelia City was built over filled with Eevee? Could it be Eevee are so rare because their home environment is no more (except for a small space of land surrounded by buildings)? Well at least was a popular theory until Kalos showed they too have an Eevee population, but still with Unova and Kalos having an Eevee population yet none in the Japanese-based regions it makes you wonder if Eevee should be considered a Kanto Pokemon or rather an introduced species that just became very popular.

Same can be said about Riolu and Zorua. Can only get one of them in their games yet the next games we see a population of them. Well, at least for Riolu, Zoroark can be found in the Pokemon Paradise but the Pokemon Paradise is a place where abandoned Pokemon went to so is it their naturally habit or did a/some trainer(s) release (a) Zorua/Zoroark and from there it/they reproduced a population.

As for starters I originally thought they just had a breeding program for them meaning there was no such thing as a wild Starter (sort of making them an artificial species specially made to be given out by starters). But then XY had you able to catch the middle stages of the Starters in the Friend Safari. Now my theory could still work if you consider the Friend Safari possibly as one of the breeding grounds used for the starter breeding program, either used as a backup incase something happens and they need starters imported or maybe a place to send starters who evolve before they could be given to a trainer.

I'd say more on the topic but I'll hold off until JES decides whether to make the thread or not.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Odd Pokémon distributions can basically be summed up by five words: The whims of the designers.

Or "They're there for gameplay's sake". That works too.
No, there is some logic behind some of them. For example Absol are sometimes placed on routes where disaster is about to strike as a reference to being harbingers of disaster.

But yeah, a few times I have found myself asking why some Pokemon are where they are. Maybe instead of a new thread JES could ask to combine it with the Move Oddities thread?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Most of the placement is logical or for the sake of game balance, and doesn't really warrant discussion. At least the movepool thread is about oddities and trying to justify/explain them, and even then there isn't a ton of discussion going on in that thread.

No, there is some logic behind some of them. For example Absol are sometimes placed on routes where disaster is about to strike as a reference to being harbingers of disaster.

But yeah, a few times I have found myself asking why some Pokemon are where they are. Maybe instead of a new thread JES could ask to combine it with the Move Oddities thread?
I suppose I could, but I also wanted to list what regions each Pokémon is native to, because I find the subject interesting, specifically in the order of the Pokédex, doing one or two evo lines every couple of days. I find it fascinating that Riolu and Zoroark can only be found in Kalos, while Zorua only lives in a very small population in Hoenn, while we have more common Pokémon living in some regions, but not others.

Another standard example is Pidgey:
They live mostly in Kanto, Johto, and Kalos. But a small-medium sized population also lives on a specific route in Sinnoh, while some also live specifically in the White Forest in Unova.
Pidgeotto live in less locations and are less common, but too can be found in Kanto and Johto, but are non-existent in Kalos. Forget about the other regions.
And Pidgeot are so rare that you can't find them at all.

I find that interesting, and there I think are things that we can infer from this type of information such as that Pidgeotto rarely evolve in the wild, for perhaps a number of different reasons, most likely dying before attaining the level necessary to evolve, which could also be for a small variety of reasons, such as moving to another unexplored region upon evolving or to remote, inaccessible areas.

And I agree with Pikachu, in that the Friend Safari is not likely the native habitat of the first and 6th generation Starters, though I still suspect that there must be wild populations, and we just haven't been able to visit the region that they come from. I don't think they are an artificial species selectively bred specifically to be given out to trainers. I mean, look at Charmeleon to Charizard for example. If I were selectively breeding a species to be handed out to kids, I'd want to breed out the aggressive tendencies.

But I already see one naysayer who thinks that such a topic would be a waste of a thread, so I'll let others put their input into whether they'd find such an analysis of interest before deciding what I'm going to do. If the popular opinion indicates such a thread would be unpopular enough to likely be closed by the moderators, maybe I'll just do the really interesting examples in the Movepool Oddities thread.

I suppose I could, but I also wanted to list what regions each Pokémon is native to, because I find the subject interesting, specifically in the order of the Pokédex, doing one or two evo lines every couple of days. I find it fascinating that Riolu and Zoroark can only be found in Kalos, while Zorua only lives in a very small population in Hoenn, while we have more common Pokémon living in some regions, but not others.
Riolu can also be found in the Floccessy Ranch in Unova.

You may already know this, but the Pokémon found in the Hoenn Safari Zone are imported there, which is why we haven't seen any Hoenn-native Pokémon in said Safari Zone. Not sure about the other Safari Zones, though.

As the OP I would say that extended discussion on pokemon in-game habitats would eventually be going against the purposes of this thread. For one, it's not really a mystery, since you're just listing the pokemon's locations and remarking on trends or oddities in distribution. Essentially, listing canon.

The other is that any mystery that can be found is caused by one or more of the following categories: 1. Gameplay, 2. Semblance to reality, 3. Story justification. For example:
Gameplay: Mankey on route 22, because Charmander trainers need to beat Brock somehow.
Semblence: Zubats in caves. Do I need to explain?
Story: Ho-oh on Tin Tower.

Not saying the topic is taboo, it's more the framing doesn't match and/or detail necessary would overcrowd other mysteries/conspiracies. I would support a separate topic, something like "Pokemon: An Origin of Species"? Or, "A Trainer's Guide to Monster-watching"? I think you're on to something worth talking about.

Until then you're okay for now. I'm not a mod, and I'm the topic creator, not the topic-god. Although sometimes I wish

Last edited:
I suspect these Pokemon are so rare that you (the player) not finding them in the wild is canon. That's the best explanation I can think of other than "GF wants it this way."

Reactions: JES

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
On second thoughts, maybe I'll approve a "Pokémon location discussion" thread. The demand seems to be there, after all. And it doesn't have to be restricted to "oddities" either, since you can learn a lot about the designers' intent for the gameplay by looking at which Pokémon are available at which points. For instance, it's clear that they saw Chansey's power in Gen. I, seeing as it's stupidly hard to find and catch in the Safari Zone, but you have a little less troubles catching it in the Unknown Dungeon (or Cerulean Cave, as it later came to be called) - which is a postgame location. A Chansey might help you beat the Elite Four a little easier, but good luck acquiring it before then.

I have a question... why do moving trucks, random RVs, and taxis show up throughout the games? Some with drivers, some without. There isn't ever a specified DMV of any sort in the games... so why can't everyone drive? Only specific people can. Every route is built for bicycles, nothing more. Care to elaborate/explain?

Also, I don't understand the Zoroark and Zorua people, or their significance.

As the OP I would say that extended discussion on pokemon in-game habitats would eventually be going against the purposes of this thread. For one, it's not really a mystery, since you're just listing the pokemon's locations and remarking on trends or oddities in distribution. Essentially, listing canon.

The other is that any mystery that can be found is caused by one or more of the following categories: 1. Gameplay, 2. Semblance to reality, 3. Story justification. For example:
Gameplay: Mankey on route 22, because Charmander trainers need to beat Brock somehow.
Semblence: Zubats in caves. Do I need to explain?
Story: Ho-oh on Tin Tower.

Not saying the topic is taboo, it's more the framing doesn't match and/or detail necessary would overcrowd other mysteries/conspiracies. I would support a separate topic, something like "Pokemon: An Origin of Species"? Or, "A Trainer's Guide to Monster-watching"? I think you're on to something worth talking about.

Until then you're okay for now. I'm not a mod, and I'm the topic creator, not the topic-god. Although sometimes I wish

I like "A Trainer's Guide to Monster-Watching". I think I'll go with that title. Thanks so much for all the interest and support guys! I'll start the thread today.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I have a question... why do moving trucks, random RVs, and taxis show up throughout the games? Some with drivers, some without. There isn't ever a specified DMV of any sort in the games... so why can't everyone drive? Only specific people can. Every route is built for bicycles, nothing more. Care to elaborate/explain?

Also, I don't understand the Zoroark and Zorua people, or their significance.
Point of view and the way the Pokemon world works.
Point of view: You're a kid, driving isn't an option for you. Not only are you a kid, but you're also a Pokemon trainer on the constant look out for Pokemon to catch and trainers to battle. So all the routes and paths you're going to take will most of the time be places where there would be lots of Pokemon and trainers and you can walk through. Forests, fields, caves, mountain sides, beaches, deserts; places where a car or other motored vehicles may have a problem driving through. And when you do finally see a vehicle they're in or around cities.
Pokemon World works: The Pokemon World relies on Pokemon. They're not just creatures we use to perform and battle with, they're used in everyday life for many things. Construction work, providing power, science work, even being transports themselves. So with Pokemon being so multi-purposed vehicles have a decreased role in that society. Instead of there being streets everywhere rather it's most likely there are only select roads scattered about and they're probably pretty straight forward, going directly from one city to another. All vehicles are probably also made to be able to withstand being used on dirt and rocky paths as if a vehicle needs to take a detour or there's someplace that's not in the city they'll probably have to go off the paved road. This in turn also means there's more habitat for the Pokemon and for trainers to walk around and travel place-to-place more easily.

Did You Zee That: I don't think there's any significance to them, they're just a Zorua and Zoroark who are messing with people because "lulz, Dark-type" (also the Zoroark was probably just protecting its territory until revealed by the player). That said I think it's hinted that the Zoroark from Lostlorn Forest is N's.

Last edited:
Picking up on what Pikachu315111 said, pretty much all the transportation we see is either mass transit or freight/commercial. It stands to reason that a pokemon based society with quick flying on the nearest pidgey and perdominet pedestrian focus would only have need for either mass transit or freight.

Except the taxi system, that's needed because even pokemon get confused by Lumiose city.

Found some interesting dummied-out content while reading. It's interesting to see what get's cut because it gives a better picture of what goes through the developers' heads.

Like, did you know that there was a cut ability called Cacophony? It existed only in GenIII and was cut come GenIV despite no pokemon having it. It showed up on a pokemon card for Exploud so it's thought that it was to replace Soundproof on the Whismur line.

If hacked onto a pokemon it's identical to soundproof, but some theorize it was actually meant to have the opposite effect (powering up sound moves like Bug Buzz and Hyper Voice, like a sound version of the Iron Fist ability). But since it was cut this is all speculation. It could be that either they didn't feel there were enough attacking sound moves to deserve a boost, or that having Soundproof under a different name was just silly. Not that it stopped them with Insomnia and Vital Spirit.

It could be that either they didn't feel there were enough attacking sound moves to deserve a boost, or that having Soundproof under a different name was just silly. Not that it stopped them with Insomnia and Vital Spirit.
Or Huge and Pure Power...and I'm sure there are others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)