SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
jordanthejq12:
Throughout the game we're constantly reminded how the player character is somewhat of a Pokemon prodigy. Other NPCs talk about the difficulties of training their Pokemon which gives the sense they had their Pokemon for a longer time than you had yours... yet they only have trained a few Pokemon and they're at levels your Pokemon have probably either reached or surpassed. The Gym trainers have dedicated themselves to training under the guidance of the Gym Leader which you moments later defeat. Important NPCs note you're a special trainer. You're the only person in the world that's capable of stopping the villain team's plan. And finally you defeat the Elite Four and Champion, the strongest trainers in the region, and yourself become Champion. And after that you're later invited to an exclusive battle location where you can challenge in special battles but you're capable of winning there as well and win all the trophies there.

So what was the point of me saying all that? Basically this ability to form a "bond" with any Pokemon we get to Mega Evolve is an informed ability, we don't have to do anything to use it because we're the player. And that's for gameplay purposes, if us and a few other trainers are "special" and able to form a strong bond with our Pokemon than it makes Mega Evolutions special when they happen. The other trainers who can Mega Evolve also have this implied bond, and being it seems just to be this natural charisma or passion it explains why even the villain bosses can use it (and their admins). Actually if anything ORAS sort of throws out this idea with the Admins and Elite Four being able to Mega Evolve, apparently all they needed was a Key Stone (which I'll get into). Also, going back to game design, it's thought that players want to use Mega Evolutions as soon as they get it (which we do) and if there's an additional requirement players would get annoyed which would decrease their enjoyment value. Thus to now have other trainers Mega Evolving all over the place they needed a reason why any trainer just can't Mega Evolve.

... Except they did. Honestly I feel the whole "you need to have a strong bond" is a bit Tauros Mulch as it seems like it's just needing a Key Stone. And being Key Stones are rare had they used that at an angle they could ignore having this vague "bond" concept. Now of course they would have some sort of "bond" concept going on like "you and you're Pokemon need to be in sync when battling". Though at least there's some reason to that as, since we're a prodigy, random NPCs just use Pokemon and have them do attacks on a whim while the player is able to strategize and select attacks they know will be the most effective (or even switch out a Pokemon which NPCs don't do). I guess you could also say that's the bond they're talking about in the games, the bond of your Pokemon 100% trusting you to make the right decision in battle, though once again you didn't have to do anything to get that trust.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it needs to be said that none of the NPCs who have Key Stones are "random". None of them are generic Cool Trainers or Breeders; they all have unique designs, names, motifs, and (theoretically) personalities.

While Mega Evolution has undergone some Uniqueness Decay, it's still not that much less special because some NPCs now have it too.

jordanthejq12:So what was the point of me saying all that? Basically this ability to form a "bond" with any Pokemon we get to Mega Evolve is an informed ability, we don't have to do anything to use it because we're the player. And that's for gameplay purposes, if us and a few other trainers are "special" and able to form a strong bond with our Pokemon than it makes Mega Evolutions special when they happen. The other trainers who can Mega Evolve also have this implied bond, and being it seems just to be this natural charisma or passion it explains why even the villain bosses can use it (and their admins). Actually if anything ORAS sort of throws out this idea with the Admins and Elite Four being able to Mega Evolve, apparently all they needed was a Key Stone (which I'll get into).

... Except they did. Honestly I feel the whole "you need to have a strong bond" is a bit Tauros Mulch as it seems like it's just needing a Key Stone. And being Key Stones are rare had they used that at an angle they could ignore having this vague "bond" concept. Now of course they would have some sort of "bond" concept going on like "you and you're Pokemon need to be in sync when battling". Though at least there's some reason to that as, since we're a prodigy, random NPCs just use Pokemon and have them do attacks on a whim while the player is able to strategize and select attacks they know will be the most effective (or even switch out a Pokemon which NPCs don't do). I guess you could also say that's the bond they're talking about in the games, the bond of your Pokemon 100% trusting you to make the right decision in battle, though once again you didn't have to do anything to get that trust.
Like Karxrida said, the NPC that do have are not just some random trainer, but major NPCs. It is possible that they can build a similar bond, but it can actually take longer, making it more similar to friendship and affection in addition to a Key Stone.

I mean, in-universe we can see this as not knowing everything about the world of Pokemon. Sycamore could spend the rest of his life trying to crack some sort of mystical bond when it fact all it takes is a Key Stone and Pokemon trusting your basic competence in battle. I say both because of the improved Trainer AI (particularly Ace Trainers and plot-important opponents) who will at least spam a strong move if available. (No word on filling out complete movesets [looking at you, rivals], selecting moves other than the most recent four or a random TM or the featured TM of the Gym, adjusting for abilities, or, the Holy Grail, switching when the option to attack is available but suboptimal.)

Vader_the_White Force bonding, as explained in KotOR, is a natural bond between master and apprentice...that develops over time. Except for the plot-crucial ones in both games: Revan and Bastila in the first game (a direct consequence of Bastila saving Revan's life) and the Exile and Kreia in the second game (which I don't think was ever explained, actually). So we know that instantaneous bonds can occur, but they're pretty rare.

As for the idea of immediate bonding...well, the player's a prodigy, as we're well aware. The theory that the player-prodigy can quickly if not instantaneously reproduce something that takes others years probably is very sound. (Being in prime position to acquire a Key Stone doesn't hurt either.)

I mean, in-universe we can see this as not knowing everything about the world of Pokemon. Sycamore could spend the rest of his life trying to crack some sort of mystical bond when it fact all it takes is a Key Stone and Pokemon trusting your basic competence in battle. I say both because of the improved Trainer AI (particularly Ace Trainers and plot-important opponents) who will at least spam a strong move if available. (No word on filling out complete movesets [looking at you, rivals], selecting moves other than the most recent four or a random TM or the featured TM of the Gym, adjusting for abilities, or, the Holy Grail, switching when the option to attack is available but suboptimal.)

Vader_the_White Force bonding, as explained in KotOR, is a natural bond between master and apprentice...that develops over time. Except for the plot-crucial ones in both games: Revan and Bastila in the first game (a direct consequence of Bastila saving Revan's life) and the Exile and Kreia in the second game (which I don't think was ever explained, actually). So we know that instantaneous bonds can occur, but they're pretty rare.

As for the idea of immediate bonding...well, the player's a prodigy, as we're well aware. The theory that the player-prodigy can quickly if not instantaneously reproduce something that takes others years probably is very sound. (Being in prime position to acquire a Key Stone doesn't hurt either.)
I never said that the Force bond in the first KotOR game was instantaneous, just different from straight forward bonds that are represented by the friendship and affection mechanics. I started talking about instantaneous bonds after I mentioned KotOR.

Speaking of Star Wars, I kinda like the idea that Psychic types can use Psychic type moves naturally because they are naturally "sensitive", and so are a number of other Pokémon, such as Noctowl or Golduck.

But just like the Force, many Pokémon can use Psychic type moves with training and practice (or transplanting instructions using TMs), but they aren't going to be as strong as most Psychic types who are naturally inclined towards The Force, or just being Psychic types. And you know what? The same thing can explain Psychic trainers and Hex Maniacs.

Did you even look up if OOPart meant anything? Because I did, OOPart stands for "Out-of-place artifact". While not exactly what the Hex Maniac said, it does match the description of the Sundial being something modern technology can't replicate. It's as if it's not meant to exist in this time, yet it does.

"Well maybe Hoopa teleported it to Anistar from the future"

Maybe. Though personally I'd put my money on Diancie, you know, the pink crystal Pokemon that can create pink crystals and possibly has a connection to Mega Evolution, being the creator of the Anistar Sundial than Hoopa having anything to do with it.

Note how Diancie is so far the only Gen VI Pokemon to have a Mega Evolution. Also note Diancie has those yellow parts to it.

Now we'll need to get the Prison Bottle someway in XY2/Z, however I don't think it'll have anything to do with the Anistar Sundial.
Diancie is the only one who has a Mega, and it does have yellow and is associated with crystals. But in a small edit I also did to the original post, OOPart could still be referring to Hoopa. Hoopa does put things out of place using its rings.

• Lysandre, Archie, and Maxie, the primary antagonists of their respective games and overall not-nice people, are also capable of utilizing Mega Evolution. Much like Maxie's Crobat, it seems to suggest Pokemon can grow close to their trainers regardless of the trainer's moral behavior, so whatever powers Mega Evolution works for the villains too, in and out of universe.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvenEvilHasLovedOnes

Or maybe Pokemon aren't really the best judges of character. Considering they get excited by me riding my bike in the same circle for an hour and stuffing them with vitamins when even my own dog will call foul to all that. Especially the vitamins, what kind of animal likes vitamins? Do pokemon trainers wrap it in bacon or something?

Honestly the cheapening of mega evolution was a grave Gamefreak dug themselves, the question was when. They overhypped the story significance but the tantalizing morsel of boss fights with megas was just too juicy to pass up. I think very soon we will be seeing them in the Maison/Battle Tower equivalent. So more megas on the way means story bonds get less and less.

Although to me the bonding made no sense to begin with. So the megastones are leftovers from infinite energy projects (like Sea Mauville and the weapon from Kalos) which the game has made explicit are eldritch life-drain machines that no good can come from. Yet these mega stones feed on love? Why? "Gee Charizard, my love for you made you mega-evolve! Plus 1000 of your dead ancestors sacrificed for your minor statistical bonus!"

Unless this love stands for Level Of ViolencE... (yeah, I've been playing Undertale)

In a weird reversion, this means the anime is playing it more realistically in that mega evolution is just caused by the artifacts in question. While a bond is a good thing, and perhaps necessary (Anime Korrnina's Lucario-rage), it's not the real trigger.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvenEvilHasLovedOnes

Or maybe Pokemon aren't really the best judges of character. Considering they get excited by me riding my bike in the same circle for an hour and stuffing them with vitamins when even my own dog will call foul to all that. Especially the vitamins, what kind of animal likes vitamins? Do pokemon trainers wrap it in bacon or something?
This is also true. If I tried petting and playing fetch with a real dog with a bored look on my face, they'd give up. Spend half an hour in Amie with a bored look on my face? OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

This is also true. If I tried petting and playing fetch with a real dog with a bored look on my face, they'd give up. Spend half an hour in Amie with a bored look on my face? OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.
Then again we should keep in mind the games are aimed at kids, so there's the sense absolute realism is tossed out the window. Not to mention the 3DS camera used for the face game is terrible, so...

Though why does the herbal medicine taste so bitter that it lowers friendship on a Pokemon one uses it on and the more commercial medicinal items don't? And why do even Pokemon with + Special Defense natures, the ones that normally like bitter food, hate it? They'll happily gobble up Pokeblocks made with Durin Berries, which are renowned for their incredible bitterness, yet they frown at having a Heal Powder used on them?

For the first part, I'm willing to bet that the commercial medicines have added flavor to them. Like does anyone have any liquid medicine that DOESN'T taste like cherry or grape? Also, they are shown to be sprays (or in revive's case a weird crystal) so it's also a bit different way of taking it in.

As for the latter question, Gameplay and Story segregation? Honestly no other explanation I have can describe why. Everything I can think of has an exception. Either that or it has a second flavor too that Pokemon can dislike that they don't really talk about.

Reactions: JES
And why do even Pokemon with + Special Defense natures, the ones that normally like bitter food, hate it? They'll happily gobble up Pokeblocks made with Durin Berries, which are renowned for their incredible bitterness, yet they frown at having a Heal Powder used on them?
Because it is amazingly bitter. They are so bitter, even if you took the bitterness of every single person who have ever been dumped and fused it, it still wouldn't be as bitter as that medicine. It is that bitter.
Okay, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, but that might be the answer. There are things that are too sweet/sour/bitter, even for those who love sweet/sour/bitter food.

For the first part, I'm willing to bet that the commercial medicines have added flavor to them. Like does anyone have any liquid medicine that DOESN'T taste like cherry or grape? Also, they are shown to be sprays (or in revive's case a weird crystal) so it's also a bit different way of taking it in.
Honestly, most people I know hate artificial grape flavors more than they hate bitter medicine.

I remember the DP Adventure Manga, Saturn uses a Revive that shows the Crystalline thing opening like a case, probably with the capsule or nutrients or whatever actually does the reviving inside it. Maybe it's something like an adrenaline shot kept in there so the needle doesn't prod anything before use.

Honestly, most people I know hate artificial grape flavors more than they hate bitter medicine.

I remember the DP Adventure Manga, Saturn uses a Revive that shows the Crystalline thing opening like a case, probably with the capsule or nutrients or whatever actually does the reviving inside it. Maybe it's something like an adrenaline shot kept in there so the needle doesn't prod anything before use.
Cherry isn't any better, either...

But how does that explain Max Revive's "points everywhere" shape?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Guys... have you seriously tried Chinese herbal medicine before?
It's so freakingly bitter that nothing compares, and everyone gladly takes the flavored Western medicines.
(in the Japanese games, those herbal medicine are said to be Chinese medicine, but the dubs censored it)

I think the bitter poke blocks are slightly bitter, like coffee or matcha, that makes certain people and pokemon like them.
So that some Pokemon love them.

But herbal medicine is like omfg wtf type of bitter that no one likes.

A lot of people I know love matcha, but I don't know anyone who likes the taste of Chinese medicine.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Bitter Medicine: In FRLG the descriptions for the Herbal Medicines have changed from saying "a bitter powder" to "a very bitter medicine powder" (except in the Colosseum games) and kept that way since. While that could be explained with items begin given a bigger description space, it could also be the designers realized it doesn't make sense Pokemon who like bitter to not like it so they emphasized its "very" bitter compared to probably the more modest bitter flavors of Pokeblocks and Poffins.

Edible Revives: I always just saw Revives as just hard vitamins. They never really looked like a capsule to me (and even if the were I would assume it would be a consumable capsule).

I've always thought that with revives you would press it on the Pokemon's body and it would be absorbed... or they just eat it. Like it's a big sugar crystal.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This might seem sort of out-of-place for a kids' game but I always imagined the Revive crystals being crushed up and injected or vaped using the same methods we use for crystal meth and cocaine, etc. I know it doesn't really make any sense but I guess that's how I like to think of it, like the Trainer just crumbling the crystal in their hands and just heating it up and letting the vapours float upwards into the barely breathing 'mon's nostrils (or whatever) and then the 'mon just jumps up to life, still bedraggled but ready for action

This might seem sort of out-of-place for a kids' game but I always imagined the Revive crystals being crushed up and injected or vaped using the same methods we use for crystal meth and cocaine, etc. I know it doesn't really make any sense but I guess that's how I like to think of it, like the Trainer just crumbling the crystal in their hands and just heating it up and letting the vapours float upwards into the barely breathing 'mon's nostrils (or whatever) and then the 'mon just jumps up to life, still bedraggled but ready for action
My little Meth lab: Pokémon edition.

Why do you think they cost $98 a pop? Of course they wrap or lace them with something, and apparently, they are made with the finest ingredients. If they ever get rid of Super Training, I'm gonna be broke.

Why do you think they cost $98 a pop? Of course they wrap or lace them with something, and apparently, they are made with the finest ingredients. If they ever get rid of Super Training, I'm gonna be broke.
Pokerus, Power items, and horde battles are your friend for EV training. Hell, five battles with Wingull hordes nearly maxes out Speed with Pokerus and Power Anklet...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 5)