SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

I've decided to Google all the non-obvious dates (January 12th, February 29th, and December 31) with the wording "Japan Insert Date Here". Here are my results (Note, this is very half-assed research, so don't put too much faith in this. They may just be birthdays):
March 15th: Hōnen Matsuri
March 31st: Convention of Kanagawa
April 22nd: I got nothing.
May 1st: Nothing really.
September 2nd: Um...the formal surrender of Japan to the United States, ending World War II.
September 20th: Nothing.
October 10th: It used to be Health and Sports Day, but was changed to the second Monday in October in 2000.
October 30th: Nothing.

Yeah, I got no clue, though Hōnen Matsuri seems very likely and I wouldn't be surprised by Health and Sports Day.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't look very closely at Hōnen Matsuri's Wikipedia article. Um...NSFW... *sigh* Japan...
EDIT 2: I removed the link, just to make sure I'm not breaking any forum rules due to the article image. If you want to look it up, just copy and paste the name as I faithfully copied it.
Been testing some theories and may have found one at least, April 22nd was the North American release date of Diamond and Pearl. While why this would be honored is beyond me, since to my research so far no Japanese release dates have been used for the diamond dust weather effect. So it could just be a coincidence.

Back to digging.

We all do sometimes, and that's why wishlisting is so encouraged on the OI IRC channel. We're theorizing new Megas, finding ways to improve the regions if we were given the chance, put together new teams for the Elite Four, etc., etc. Of course, we do a lot of other off-topic talk too, but wishlisting is a very common topic of conversation.

It just doesn't work well in a forum setting. People tend to write lenghtily about their own wishes, blocks of text that few others bother to read, as people will always want the conversation to revolve around their own contributions. Lots of writing, little feedback, and it's next to impossible to keep a tangent. In IRC, the conversation is a lot snappier, people write a sentence or two at most, and feedback is much more immediate. Plus nothing gets recorded for posterity, which is a plus too, since reading through other people's wishlists gets tedious really fast. It'd clog up forums, but the here-today-and-gone-tomorrow format of IRC skips over that issue.
When you put it that way, making wishlisting banned here is probably the lesser of two evils. I already spend enough time catching up with forum posts once a week as it is. I don't want to spend several hours a week to do so.

Well let's jump to another mystery: What is the Trainer Tower/Trainer Hill? In FRLG, it is run by a guy with a very mysterious-looking sprite, while in Emerald it is run by a regular guy with a suit. In FRLG there's different rewards than in Emerald. They have different trainers with different Pokemons, FRLG even has some shinies. They even have different names. Why would they look so similar?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
They were to be used for e-reader content which got scrapped when the versions were released internationally. Basically the e-reader cards would replace the "default" trainers you would see in both towers in the Japanese version. The international versions just integrate some of the e-reader card trainers into the facilities in-game - this is where the shinies in FRLG come from. Their similarities are due to them showcasing the same feature, just in a different region.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Another mystery: Why is it that, in Pokemon Emerald, when you have to awaken Rayquaza, the Sky Pillar looks completely fine, but when you go after the Sootopolis incident, the floors are all holed up like in Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire? How did it get damaged so fast?: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sky_Pillar#Layout
Maybe it was a Load Bearing Rayquaza. When it wakes up, maybe it hit the Sky Pillar or something or roared loudly enough that it knocked the weak parts off or something?
As good as an explanation as any. Expanding upon it, Rayqauza's Air Lock may have been protecting the tower's old structure for hundreds of years from the affects of weather erosion. But once it was gone the effects of erosion kicked in hard, especially with Kyogre and Groudon causing the weather to go crazy, so it started to break apart.

Or maybe it was an illusion. Rayquaza felt the disturbance in the weather but needed someone to come to it to wake it up, so when someone did Rayquaza did some mystical mumbo-jumbo and made the tower look okay so the player wouldn't have a problem getting to it. But once the crisis was over it no longer needed to do this so the tower went back to looking like its falling apart.

What is the connection between Unown and Arceus? It's suggested Unown are its 1,000 arms.
Neat theory. As we've seen with the Sinjoh Ruin's event Arceus uses the Unown to basically bend the rules of reality to its whim and you need a large amount of Unown to do that. That said I think the "1,000 arms" part was just ancient people making things up trying to make Arceus sound grand.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Not sure if this is relevant to the Pokemon world... but
Favorite Pokemon of 9 core Game Freak staff is revealed.

Today, Game Freak's official facebook page introduced how they do stuff differently from other companies.
In which, Game Freak doesn't use name cards for their staff members.
Instead, staff members choose one of their favorite Pokemon from the first 151 in Red and Green, and have that Pokemon printed on their business card.

As you can see from the picture, these 9 are the chosen ones.

Picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYrpiduWMAAY03T.jpg

==============

I knew that someone in Game Freak loves Jynx. I can totally feel it, especially how Junichi Masuda retweets every single one of my Jynx related tweets.
There is NOT a Jynx tweet from me that isn't retweeted by Junichi Masuda.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Somebody in GF is a Helix disciple.

Cresselia~~, do you have any idea which staff member likes which mon?
I have no idea
It is also contrary to what we used to believe.
We thought Junichi Masuda loves Psyduck, but it's not there.
Maybe their favorites change from time to time.
Ken Sugimori once said his fav was Gengar, but another interview, he said it was Hoothoot.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Considering the card's artwork are from Gen III I wouldn't be surprised if they do change them time to time.

Eitherway a fun and interesting way of identifying someone. :P I also heard that either GF or Pokemon Company employees are required to have completed their Pokedex in the recent game (so I imagine productivity goes down to about zero for the first week a new Pokemon main series game is released).

Manager: Where's that sales report?
Employee: Sorry, haven't done it yet.
Manager: Why not?
Employee: Been filling out my Pokedex to not get fired, sir.
Manager: Oh, carry on then.

Not sure if this is relevant to the Pokemon world... but
Favorite Pokemon of 9 core Game Freak staff is revealed.

Today, Game Freak's official facebook page introduced how they do stuff differently from other companies.
In which, Game Freak doesn't use name cards for their staff members.
Instead, staff members choose one of their favorite Pokemon from the first 151 in Red and Green, and have that Pokemon printed on their business card.

As you can see from the picture, these 9 are the chosen ones.

Picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYrpiduWMAAY03T.jpg

==============

I knew that someone in Game Freak loves Jynx. I can totally feel it, especially how Junichi Masuda retweets every single one of my Jynx related tweets.
There is NOT a Jynx tweet from me that isn't retweeted by Junichi Masuda.
No Butterfree? Noooooo.

Ok. New Mystery. I don't have much time to flesh them out, buuutttt... How do you think things like Squirtle can shoot out more water than can possibly exist inside its body?

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok. New Mystery. I don't have much time to flesh them out, buuutttt... How do you think things like Squirtle can shoot out more water than can possibly exist inside its body?
They have access to pocket dimensions inside their esophagi filled with nothing but water vapor, the interdimensional transition converts the molecules to liquid with high kinetic energy, allowing for attacks and stuff

alternatively, pokemon are all optical illusions and maybe you just arent looking at them from the right angle

alternatively, maybe they're not shooting out as much water as you think

alternatively, you don't know that much about water physics and they can hold as much water in their bodies as they want

Reactions: JES
They have access to pocket dimensions inside their esophagi filled with nothing but water vapor, the interdimensional transition converts the molecules to liquid with high kinetic energy, allowing for attacks and stuff

alternatively, pokemon are all optical illusions and maybe you just arent looking at them from the right angle

alternatively, maybe they're not shooting out as much water as you think

alternatively, you don't know that much about water physics and they can hold as much water in their bodies as they want
Alternatively it's just Pokelogic

Reactions: JES
Easy: it's bigger on the inside.

Sorry, this immediately popped into my head and I had to say it.

A more honest answer is something I'm going to steal from Bionicle: elemental energy. In that series (at least before the 2015 reboot as I seriously have no idea what's going on in that universe as I haven't been following it), many characters have elemental powers. The fuel for it is a reserve of elemental energy, allowing them to control or create their element from nothing. This energy gets depleted when it is used, but recharges over time.
This might be how Pokémon can do some of the things they do, with PP representing this energy reserve.

So like a reverse of annihilation, instead creating matter directly from energy rather than destroying matter into energy. Interesting.

I go with the tried and true "Poke-physics ain't your physics." We'll be here all day if we stop to wonder how every 5 once Pidgey can carry a 1 lb coconut And a 10-year-old school dropout.

Edit: Apparently that's a 4 lb bird. Guess the pidgey obesity crisis is getting pandemic.

So like a reverse of annihilation, instead creating matter directly from energy rather than destroying matter into energy. Interesting.

I go with the tried and true "Poke-physics ain't your physics." We'll be here all day if we stop to wonder how every 5 once Pidgey can carry a 1 lb coconut And a 10-year-old school dropout.

Edit: Apparently that's a 4 lb bird. Guess the pidgey obesity crisis is getting pandemic.
Farmers are fattening up Pidgeys so that they can make more money. Stop the Pidgey cruelty :'(

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hmm, maybe as Squirtle (and all the other Pokemon who can use Water-type moves) is spraying out water they're also rapidly absorbing water molecules from the air through their skin.

Farmers are fattening up Pidgeys so that they can make more money. Stop the Pidgey cruelty :'(
But they're finger lickin' good!

A more honest answer is something I'm going to steal from Bionicle: elemental energy. In that series (at least before the 2015 reboot as I seriously have no idea what's going on in that universe as I haven't been following it), many characters have elemental powers. The fuel for it is a reserve of elemental energy, allowing them to control or create their element from nothing. This energy gets depleted when it is used, but recharges over time.
This might be how Pokémon can do some of the things they do, with PP representing this energy reserve.
These would be my best bets, not only for water-types but why fire-types don't kill you. Their temperatures only go high when they summon fire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)