SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

So like a reverse of annihilation, instead creating matter directly from energy rather than destroying matter into energy. Interesting.

I go with the tried and true "Poke-physics ain't your physics." We'll be here all day if we stop to wonder how every 5 once Pidgey can carry a 1 lb coconut And a 10-year-old school dropout.

Edit: Apparently that's a 4 lb bird. Guess the pidgey obesity crisis is getting pandemic.
Pidgey represent pigeons yes? This means they behave like them so they like being fed. If you feed a pigeon too much they are known to get this large. I know this because I have fat pigeons in my garden so this picture reminded me of that.

Also, I need to know, why is desolate land only good against water types? Surely there should be more fire moves which evaporate the water type moves?

Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also, I need to know, why is desolate land only good against water types? Surely there should be more fire moves which evaporate the water type moves?
Little to no moisture in the air and the hot temperature instantly evaporates water. Of course there is one problem I do have with both Sunlight and Harsh Sunlight weakening/nullifying Water-type moves: why aren't Ice-type move affected? Like for some moves you could just say its concentrated coldness (let's just assume that makes sense in the physics of the Pokemon world) but there are some which is frozen water.

Little to no moisture in the air and the hot temperature instantly evaporates water. Of course there is one problem I do have with both Sunlight and Harsh Sunlight weakening/nullifying Water-type moves: why aren't Ice-type move affected? Like for some moves you could just say its concentrated coldness (let's just assume that makes sense in the physics of the Pokemon world) but there are some which is frozen water.
Oh joy, I get to SCIENCE!

And my answer is thermal resistance. You see, no matter how great the difference between a really hot and a really cold object are, there's an overall limit to how fast heat can flow from one body to another, determined by the material's thermal resistance. To experiment, try putting a piece of frozen chicken on the stove. No matter what you set the burner to, let's say 200 F versus 425 F, after a minute the chicken will still be mostly frozen inside (also known as the Chef's Fallacy). That's why you are supposed to de-thaw it hours in advance.

And solid water, or ice and snow, is an insulator, so it has a higher than average thermal resistance. You might see the surface melt instantly, but the core of your Icicle Crash attack will be mostly intact after a few seconds of exposure. Ever notice how large snow piles linger days after the temperature rises, while water puddles disappear in a matter of hours? Liquid water in contrast is a heat sink, it absorbs heat really well.

The only real way to overcome thermal resistance is increase the exposed surface area, which is another reason why water attacks evaporate and ice one's don't. Most water attacks are completely exposed or lack "depth" to them, increasing thermal flow rate. Now, this would mean that attacks like Powdered Snow shouldn't work while Ice Ball and Icicle Crash would be fine, but no theory is perfect.

Gee, that thermodynamics class I took is worth it's weight in gold.

Pidgey represent pigeons yes? This means they behave like them so they like being fed. If you feed a pigeon too much they are known to get this large. I know this because I have fat pigeons in my garden so this picture reminded me of that.
It was just a little joke, but since you brought it up, that episode (Fly Me to the Moon) was referencing an observed phenomena for some island birds that lack predators but have abundant food supplies. In some of these cases, the birds "de-volve" becoming fatter and flightless (like the Kakapo, a flightless parrot on one island off the coast of New Zealand). So basically what you said, just without any human causing it, just no predators and lots of food.

It's actually really clever of the anime to use that in a story, and in fact I really love this episode. Orville the pidgey overcoming genetic predisposition and Wilbur the human having to teach the bird how to fly himself using a hang-glider was pretty touching, and the final scene of Meowth asking Orville about space was really sweet. Just a surprisingly complex and thought provoking episode from an otherwise mediocre anime (and Johto is thought to be one of the weaker seasons!)

...plus Orville's little flight cap is really cute.

fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars...

OK why doesn't oddish evolve into jumpluff, they're obviously linked
upload_2016-1-20_19-24-57.png

Why, because they're both blue? You're saying all blue people look alike? That's racist species-ist!

Just kidding!

The Hoppip line is based on the life cycle of the Dandelion (Hoppip's the plant, Skiploom the flower, and Jumpluff the cotton spore phase). While they could have been linked at some point in development... maybe... Oddish's line is based on the Corpse Flower or Rafflesia.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
stage7_4:
Heated Ice:

As for Powder Snow, as you said a pile of snow melts slower than a pool of water evaporates, so I can imagine the same going for a wind stream of snow.

Bird Brain: Same deal also with the Dodos, they lived on an island with no predators (and they couldn't fly either). Dodos get a bad rap, they weren't stupid, just naive because they never needed to fend for themselves and were curious about the tall, two-legged creature walking around and making noise on their island. The Kapapo (which could make for an interesting Ground/Flying-type, but moving on) is also sadly critically endangered because humans move onto their island and brought their pet cats which are now hunting the Kapapo. FUN FACT: Chatot isn't anatomically correct for a parrot. Parrots' feet are zygodactyl, having two digits in the front and two digits in the back. Chatot's feet are anisodactyl (three digits in front and one in the back).

But yeah, I remember that episode and liked it too. It has a bit of a "The Little Engine That Could" vibe to it with Orville the Pidgey pushing on through the adversity and challenges. And not only were Team Rocket (especially Meowth) were likable but I especially like the end where (no spoilers) the fat Pidgey overcome something of their own to help Orville.

Ok, this forum has become a joke... (lol) move it to the firebot forums

On the subject of misplaced evolutions, do you think it was originally planned that dragonair was to evolve into Gyrados since, if you think about it, they are both blue serpents and Gyrados is water flying and dragonair has the term 'air' in it. As well, magikarp is red/orange and dragonite is of a similar colour.

I can still place Gyrados after dragonair, though...maybe in the original phases of development they didn't have such similarities like the whiskers and then they could have been drawn in later...I cannot see a "serpentine" body when I look at magikarp.
I have a question, why did game freak create so many snake/snake like pokemon?

dragonair has the term 'air' in it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: don't use English names when making theories on Pokémon. They aren't the original names, so they can have different meanings or origins. Dragonair for example is known as Hakuryu, which means "white dragon*". Also, the beta English name was Dragyn, which is a terrible name.

*Seto Kaiba FTW

Maybe it was a Load Bearing Rayquaza. When it wakes up, maybe it hit the Sky Pillar or something or roared loudly enough that it knocked the weak parts off or something?
I actually have this funny image in my head of Rayquaza singing in the shower, and hitting such a high note, that the whole parts of the building falls apart, and Rayquaza squeals in embarrassment when some Altaria pass by the new holes in the wall, and sight a naked Rayquaza, complete with shower cap.

There's different kinds of snakes, and I imagine quite a few artists at Game Freak just think Snakes Are Cool, I'd imagine.
Pretty much what I was going to say. Who wouldn't want to command a snake or serpent in battle? They are fast, creepy, intimidating, awesome, and strong.
I love your avatar BTW. It is adorable!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: don't use English names when making theories on Pokémon. They aren't the original names, so they can have different meanings or origins. Dragonair for example is known as Hakuryu, which means "white dragon*". Also, the beta English name was Dragyn, which is a terrible name.

*Seto Kaiba FTW
Many of the prototype names were terrible since that what they were, prototypes. Most were placeholders, but that said there were some gems. Here's a list (and a pre-release promotional poster). Some of my favorites:

Kakuna - Kakoon (interestingly the poster had Metapod and "Kakoon" names swap, mistake or was that the original plan?)
Ninetales - Ninetails (so they originally spelt it right and changed it to a "tales" pun because...?)
Jigglypuff & Wigglytuff - Pudding & Custard (pretty much going with the Japanese pun and than taking it a step further with Wigglytuff)
Oddish - Ladish (really translation team, a Japanese pronunciation joke?)
Growlithe & Arcanine - Flamie & Blaze (if only Arcanine was number 42)
Abra & Kadabra - Hocus & Pocus (so you changed them from two nonsense magical words... to two other nonsense magical words)
Machoke & Machop - Kungfoo & Judoh (makes you wonder if Sawk and Throh weren't suppose to be just prototype names)
Farfetch'd - Fowler (bit too on the nose with the Aesop message)Exeggcute & Exeggutor - Eggstreme & Eggscute (because 90s)
Cubone - Orphan (why don't you just step on it for good measure)
Hitomonlee & Hitmonchan - Lee & Chan (so Hitmontop would have just been Top?)
Koffing & Weezing - Ny & La (according to some site today they'd be Oh and Ca)
Omanyte & Omastar - Ess & Kargo (get it?)
Kabuto & Kabutops - Att & Lantis (GET IT! Though Oddly they pretty much went back to the Japanese names for the Fossil Pokemon)
Aerodactly - Ptera (except for Aerodactyl as Ptera was its Japanese name)

Ekans & Arbok - Nagahiss & Nagaasp
Gyarados - Skulkraken

Ok. New Mystery. I don't have much time to flesh them out, buuutttt... How do you think things like Squirtle can shoot out more water than can possibly exist inside its body?
They sort of addressed this in ORAS with the explanation of how the portals and other teleportation technologies work in the world of Pokemon. These devices use "Infinity Energy" which is a type of energy derived from the life force of Pokémon. If this energy is used in these teleportation devices, Pokemon may use this originally to teleport mass or energy from a different dimension.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Infinity_Energy

Many of the prototype names were terrible since that what they were, prototypes. Most were placeholders, but that said there were some gems. Here's a list (and a pre-release promotional poster). Some of my favorites:

Kakuna - Kakoon (interestingly the poster had Metapod and "Kakoon" names swap, mistake or was that the original plan?)
Ninetales - Ninetails (so they originally spelt it right and changed it to a "tales" pun because...?)
Jigglypuff & Wigglytuff - Pudding & Custard (pretty much going with the Japanese pun and than taking it a step further with Wigglytuff)
Abra & Kadabra - Hocus & Pocus (so you changed them from two nonsense magical words... to two other nonsense magical words)
Machoke & Machop - Kungfoo & Judoh (makes you wonder if Sawk and Throh weren't suppose to be just prototype names)
Farfetch'd - Fowler (bit too on the nose with the Aesop message)Exeggcute & Exeggutor - Eggstreme & Eggscute (because 90s)
Kabuto & Kabutops - Att & Lantis (GET IT! Though Oddly they pretty much went back to the Japanese names for the Fossil Pokemon)

Gyarados - Skulkraken
My favorite is actually Eon, Eevee's prototype name. Since they gave it to every Eeveelution, it kinda sucks they didn't keep it for Eevee. At the very least, the eventual Normal-type Eeveelution should just be called Eon, since it would be "Plain" (Normal) + "Eon" and Plaineon sounds dumb.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Pikachu315111 post: 6632508 said:

Gyarados - Skulkraken
For a really long time
My classmates thought it was spelled nine tails because its Chinese name is actually Nine Tails.

Wasn't it referencing the fact that it is the fusion of 9 noble saints and therefore each had their own tale to tell?
I know the Ninetales line is based on Kitsune, Fox-Spirits. I also know that Nine-Tailed Foxes evidently have some kind of significance, with that being the strongest of the beasts in Naruto, and according to Ninetales entry, gaining the 9th Tail is a sign of omnipotence for a Kitsune.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)