SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They COULD have adjusted the lore to explain this, but no, non-Alola Dex Pokemon don't get Dex entries. Not even through Pokemon Bank's update. Maybe if we get gen 4 remakes they'll explain it... if Arceus gets the Deoxys treatment and we're finally allowed to enter the Hall of Origin. Not holding my breath, however.
I don't think they'll ever make Arceus a plain Legendary, if anything I'd imagine Darkrai would be the next Mystical to get demoted to Legendary (who I think has a ton more story potential than Arceus does, at least in ways you can go and portray Darkrai). Maybe they can extend the way we got Cresselia in the original games to fully include Darkrai in it which results us in eventually capturing both.

Manaphy could be another option, Gen IV had two Cute Mystical Pokemon and Manaphy's original method of distribution was special: it was obtained via completing the Pokemon Ranger games. Unless they release another Pokemon Ranger game (which I wouldn't mind, the Switch's screen is a touch screen (though the game will need to be packaged with a stylus (and some screen protectors wouldn't hurt either to throw in))) or something similar it'll either be distributed like any other Mystical Pokemon OR they could just demote it to Legendary and make a story around it post game (Pokemon Rangers are a trainer class in the games, though Sinnoh Rangers seem to be normal trainers compared to the ones in the Ranger Games that uses the Styler to befriend Pokemon without needing to catch them).

Yo, I'm back baby! Had a double whammy of a new job and new city to move to last month, but now I'm back in business! Thanks to all of you keeping the mystery thread going strong, makes a papa proud to see his baby stand on it's own two feet.

But enough sentimentality, let's discuss a new mystery:

The premier ball is a bit of an oddball compared to it's 26 other cousins, if you pardon my pun. It's the only one that lacks a true purpose.

It doesn't modify the catch rate (great, ultra, etc), doesn't provide bonuses to the pokemon caught (luxury, heal, friend), and doesn't indicate a specific area or event (safari, park, dream, cherish).

It's entire existence is just to look cool, or as a tiny bonus for buying regular pokeballs in sets of 10.

I used to think that the Premier Ball stood for "premium ball", as in a cheap bonus item given away by Pokemarts to boost sales, which isn't too far from the truth. But I always thought that it should have been an extra regular pokeball, like a "buy 10 get 1 free deal." This unique white variant just seemed above and beyond in terms of effort.

Not that I'm complaining, as it does look neat. Maybe that's the mystery: a premier ball is the "shiny" version of a regular pokeball. Gameplay-wise it does provide some reason to keep buying pokeballs after you get access to great balls, if only for people who pay attention to ball aesthetics (which based on the GTS right now seems to be quite a few).

Maybe the Premier Ball really doesn't have much of a story behind it, it is what it is: an albino pokeball.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yo, I'm back baby! Had a double whammy of a new job and new city to move to last month, but now I'm back in business! Thanks to all of you keeping the mystery thread going strong, makes a papa proud to see his baby stand on it's own two feet.

But enough sentimentality, let's discuss a new mystery:

The premier ball is a bit of an oddball compared to it's 26 other cousins, if you pardon my pun. It's the only one that lacks a true purpose.

It doesn't modify the catch rate (great, ultra, etc), doesn't provide bonuses to the pokemon caught (luxury, heal, friend), and doesn't indicate a specific area or event (safari, park, dream, cherish).

It's entire existence is just to look cool, or as a tiny bonus for buying regular pokeballs in sets of 10.

I used to think that the Premier Ball stood for "premium ball", as in a cheap bonus item given away by Pokemarts to boost sales, which isn't too far from the truth. But I always thought that it should have been an extra regular pokeball, like a "buy 10 get 1 free deal." This unique white variant just seemed above and beyond in terms of effort.

Not that I'm complaining, as it does look neat. Maybe that's the mystery: a premier ball is the "shiny" version of a regular pokeball. Gameplay-wise it does provide some reason to keep buying pokeballs after you get access to great balls, if only for people who pay attention to ball aesthetics (which based on the GTS right now seems to be quite a few).

Maybe the Premier Ball really doesn't have much of a story behind it, it is what it is: an albino pokeball.
As you said, it's just a in-world marketing gimmick to get trainers to buy more plain Poke Balls while in-game its just a nice little bonus for the player. It would be nice for it to have a secret modifier, like a x10 if used on a Shiny Pokemon, but for now it's just an additional Poke Ball option if you like its appearance and it matches the Pokemon you want to get. Actually, one neat feature I think to have would be able to paint Poke Balls different colors. They'll keep their pattern, but it'll be different colors from the usual, so with the Premier Ball you could have a mostly solid colored Poke Ball.

That being said, I wonder how Komala even has a Speed stat over 40 if it's constantly asleep. (Hint: Its base Speed is 65.) By Aslowla's standards, that reaches a reasonable standard, not including outliers like certain sub-Legends (like Tapu Koko and Pheromosa; I dared to classify them as such), Salazzle, and Lycanroc Midday.

Also, is Komala actually a magical log like Wobbuffet's "tail," while the koala is just an ordinary animal?

Last edited:
I blame it on drugs.

...No really, koalas are constantly high. Eucalyptus is poisonous to most animals, and koalas aren't immune, just resistant. Instead it has properties similar to weed.

So komala could be high on performance enhancers, hence the better than average stats. Kind of like McJagger, eating so many revival herbs it shot the moon to become more healthy because of them.

Something regarding battles in the skies.

In Sky Battles introduced in Gen VI (and dropped immediately after), you can only use Pokemon whose idle animation depicts them as flying or floating.

However, in ORAS, you can engage battles with Wild Pokemon in the sky if you use the Eon Flute. You can use Pokemon that look grounded there (e.g. Seviper), even though you are still battling in the sky.

What.

In Sky Battles introduced in Gen VI (and dropped immediately after), you can only use Pokemon whose idle animation depicts them as flying or floating.

However, in ORAS, you can engage battles with Wild Pokemon in the sky if you use the Eon Flute. You can use Pokemon that look grounded there (e.g. Seviper), even though you are still battling in the sky.

What.
I think they dropped Sky Battles after X and Y, not even bothering to consider implementing it in OR/AS.

But what's weirder is that you can battle with the Lati@s we rescue from Team Magma/Aqua, which is supposed to be the one the Eon Flute summons... but it doesn't start the battle Mega Evolved despite being that way when riding it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

What.
Yeah, Sky Battles were half thought out. Unlike Inverse Battles and Horde Battles, the only thing that Sky Battles did was add limitations which didn't make things any more interesting. Combine that there were only a few Sky Trainers and you couldn't re-battle them so once you did all the Sky Battles that was it, I think GF wisely phased it out... too bad it too Inverse and Horde Battles along with it (but, oh, we got SOS Battles which are SO great... *sigh*).

NEW MYSTERIOUS:

1. Your Mom & Professor Kukui: No, this isn't a "is the Professor sleeping with your mom" mystery, but does have something to do with their relation. How exactly does our mom know Professor Kukui? They're obviously friends, our mom witnessing Kukui using Alolan Pokemon during Kukui's run through of the Indigo League on the Kanto side. But how did they meet up and when? Were they teenagers and just now our mom was able to move to Alola (with kid in tow)? Was she travelling around Kukui like Ash & co.? What is our mom's job that would allow her to do this and freely move to Alola, surely absent dad can't be flipping the bill for this. And now that I'm done, the conspiracy theorists can now come in and theorize how Kukui is the player's father. *roll's eyes, especially since this would mean Kukui either cheated on Burnet or did a one night stand with our mom before leaving her and eventually marrying Burnet*

2. Contest Condition Flavors: The five flavors associated with Contest Conditions is Spicy (Cool), Dry (Beautiful), Sweet (Cute), Bitter (Clever), & Sour (Tough). Now right away you may notice an oddity: Dry? Dry isn't a flavor. Things get more complicated when you take into account its Japanese name: Astringent. Now Astringent isn't exactly a flavor but more an effect which caused muscles contractions and dryness (especially of the skin). So why is it a flavor? Well in addition to maybe referencing dry pet food, there is something called the Ayurvedic Diet. It's a spiritual way of dieting to put it simply and it centers around six "flavors": Sweet, Sour, Bitty, Salty, Pungent, and Astringent. I won't go into further detail, just that to balance your body and mind your meals need to contain all 6 flavors. Issues aside, is this where they got the Contest Condition Flavors? Well, no, because there's not only six of them but also it's missing Spicy. Though it's interesting it contains Salty as there's a scientific classification of taste and there's 5 of them: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, and Umami (also known as Savory). Once again, Spicy is missing but also Dry, instead there's Salty and Umami. Now the article does include a list of "sensations" which does includes pungency (which could be a result of spiciness) and astringency, as well as coolness (a result of mintiness), metallicness (metal taste), Calcium (chalk taste), and some others. So its a complete mess and makes me wonder how they got to the five Contest Condition flavors? Is it from the Ayurvedic Diet and they excluded/combined saltiness? Why ignore the scientific 5 tastes?

3. Missing Contest Condition: Why is there no "Spooky" condition? With there being Ghost-, Bug-, and Dark-types you'd think that would be a natural choice. Like out of the five existing Contest Conditions you could probably have replaced Cool or Clever since those seem a bit ambiguous in what makes something cool or clever compared to something else. Also wouldn't you need those two factors to get ahead in all the contests, being clever on what move you should use and having the audience think that your Pokemon is cool in the contest condition they're in?

3. Missing Contest Condition: Why is there no "Spooky" condition? With there being Ghost-, Bug-, and Dark-types you'd think that would be a natural choice. Like out of the five existing Contest Conditions you could probably have replaced Cool or Clever since those seem a bit ambiguous in what makes something cool or clever compared to something else. Also wouldn't you need those two factors to get ahead in all the contests, being clever on what move you should use and having the audience think that your Pokemon is cool in the contest condition they're in?
The judges get scared easily and banned moves from being spooky. Otherwise not sure.

Pikachu315111 Dry and Salty could be the same flavor in Pokémon, which may explain the absence of the latter. Otherwise, the Berries of the Dry flavor could vaguely taste like meat, so humans would have no excuse to eat any species of Pokémon.
This makes me think of something. People have asked what humans eat instead of Pokémon since the beginning of Pokémon. It was originally hand waved by the anime and games showing and referencing animals on occasion. However, as time has gone on, Pokémon have popped up to replace the roles that these animals served. It is likely no longer canon that animals do not exist in the Pokémon world. Given this, is it possible that some of the berries (or other fruits) have a high protein content? Nuts and beans have high protein, so it even happens in the real world. In a world where there is a taboo on eating "animals" higher protein plants would likely be able to spread their seeds more easily and become much more plentiful. The dry berries could not only taste like meat but have a high protein content as well.

This makes me think of something. People have asked what humans eat instead of Pokémon since the beginning of Pokémon. It was originally hand waved by the anime and games showing and referencing animals on occasion. However, as time has gone on, Pokémon have popped up to replace the roles that these animals served. It is likely no longer canon that animals do not exist in the Pokémon world. Given this, is it possible that some of the berries (or other fruits) have a high protein content? Nuts and beans have high protein, so it even happens in the real world. In a world where there is a taboo on eating "animals" higher protein plants would likely be able to spread their seeds more easily and become much more plentiful. The dry berries could not only taste like meat but have a high protein content as well.
Except sometimes they are showing considering eating Pokemon. (mainly Magikarp, but given how plentiful it is in the wild that's not a huge concern)

The thing about the "do they eat Pokemon" question you have to remember is that facilities like the Ranches still exist in the Pokemon World. At minimum that makes it fairly reasonable to conclude that they can't be full vegans, eating things like Eggs or Milk in the case of mons like Miltank or Gogoat. The thing that comes to mind for me is that there seem to be ranches hosting large populations of Tauros, whether in the absence of or simply in much larger numbers than Miltank, which would imply they're not just breeding males. It's hard to think of a reason to have such a disproportionately large male population even if breeding takes place (one theory behind the Starter gender ratio is that the males are easier to justify giving away to masses of new trainers when they need to keep a population stable), so the idea of livestock raised for consumption isn't such an odd concept. Farfetch'd even mentions in several entries that it'd endangered because it's basically a duck with a green onion stalk, ergo a walking stew dish, which already opens up the idea that people eat Pokemon in some capacity.

1. Your Mom & Professor Kukui: No, this isn't a "is the Professor sleeping with your mom" mystery, but does have something to do with their relation. How exactly does our mom know Professor Kukui? They're obviously friends, our mom witnessing Kukui using Alolan Pokemon during Kukui's run through of the Indigo League on the Kanto side. But how did they meet up and when? Were they teenagers and just now our mom was able to move to Alola (with kid in tow)? Was she travelling around Kukui like Ash & co.? What is our mom's job that would allow her to do this and freely move to Alola, surely absent dad can't be flipping the bill for this. And now that I'm done, the conspiracy theorists can now come in and theorize how Kukui is the player's father. *roll's eyes, especially since this would mean Kukui either cheated on Burnet or did a one night stand with our mom before leaving her and eventually marrying Burnet*
Well, he could legitimately and truly be your cousin, so your Mom's nephew. Instead of just a local colloquialism. He seems pretty young, maybe just touching thirty at best if he's a poke MMA fighter (excuse me, "Battle Royale"). A 20 year age gap between cousins isn't that out of the ordinary, but this might be coming from a bias as my girlfriend is 25 but has a brother turning 40 (halfbrother from a previous marriage). So if the player's mom is the younger child and has an older brother/sister that's Kukui's parent, then it could add up nicely.

It would explain why they all act so familiar around each other, as how many other poke-professors skype'd the player before they even arrive in the region? That strikes me more as something family would do. I know they were giving Kukui a laid-back and friendly demeanor, but he just seemed way too casual with the player and his/her mom to not have history. At least in my eyes. So that's why I fell hook line and sinker for all that "cousin" bit as it just seemed to make sense, even if it was just Hawaiian slang.

Hey, it's more wholesome than your Kukui the homewrecker theory!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Humans eat Pokemon parts in Pokemon XY.
You can see from the menu of restaurants like Le Wow.

Also from the Canalave Library, humans eat Pokemon, release the bones and let the bones come to life again, and then eat the same Pokemon again.
So from that tale, you can eat a Pokemon without fully killing it.

You also have references about how Farfetch'd were hunted to near extinction because people eat them.

2. Contest Condition Flavors: The five flavors associated with Contest Conditions is Spicy (Cool), Dry (Beautiful), Sweet (Cute), Bitter (Clever), & Sour (Tough). Now right away you may notice an oddity: Dry? Dry isn't a flavor. Things get more complicated when you take into account its Japanese name: Astringent. Now Astringent isn't exactly a flavor but more an effect which caused muscles contractions and dryness (especially of the skin). So why is it a flavor? Well in addition to maybe referencing dry pet food, there is something called the Ayurvedic Diet. It's a spiritual way of dieting to put it simply and it centers around six "flavors": Sweet, Sour, Bitty, Salty, Pungent, and Astringent. I won't go into further detail, just that to balance your body and mind your meals need to contain all 6 flavors. Issues aside, is this where they got the Contest Condition Flavors? Well, no, because there's not only six of them but also it's missing Spicy. Though it's interesting it contains Salty as there's a scientific classification of taste and there's 5 of them: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, and Umami (also known as Savory). Once again, Spicy is missing but also Dry, instead there's Salty and Umami. Now the article does include a list of "sensations" which does includes pungency (which could be a result of spiciness) and astringency, as well as coolness (a result of mintiness), metallicness (metal taste), Calcium (chalk taste), and some others. So its a complete mess and makes me wonder how they got to the five Contest Condition flavors? Is it from the Ayurvedic Diet and they excluded/combined saltiness? Why ignore the scientific 5 tastes?
I would like to point out what is consided astringent in the ayurvedic diet (or Dry as the pokemon world would put it): apples, pomegranates, pears, legumes, tofu, beans
so yeah thoe wiki berries? taste like apple, or probably beans

as for humans eating pokemon, that's been canon since gen I, as of now people are known to eat slowpoke tails, cabrawler pincers (both wich regenerate), farfecth'd and basculing (probably all of them)

I actually am working on a post regarding pokemon and food, but that'll have to wait for another day (stay tunned fictional Rapti fans)

as for this
Canalave Library said:
Pick clean the bones of Pokémon
caught in the sea or stream.
Thank them for the meals they
provide, and pick their bones clean.
When the bones are as clean as can
be, set them free in the water from
which they came.
The Pokémon will return, fully
fleshed, and it begins anew.
like any myth it should be interpreted figuratively, this seems to describe how the pokemon's remains should be treated after you ate them; don't trow their bones away or bury them but return them the to place which they came from
It's a very animistic belief actually, you know "eat what you kill, honor what you eat", notice how it mentions you should pick the bones clean, since you're taking a life to sustain your own you sholud thank them for their sacrifice and waste nothing, and in the pokemon world being animisctic makes a lot of sense (also for reference shintoism is animistic)

there's a fun post (maybe even a thread) idea "Religion in the Pokemon World"

Last edited:
Speaking of berry flavors, aren't Oran Berries just blue-colored oranges? The berry is colored as such to contrast with real oranges like complementary colors. They don't look or seem to function like blueberries despite the common misconception.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Speaking of berry flavors, aren't Oran Berries just blue-colored oranges? The berry is colored as such to contrast with real oranges like complementary colors. They don't look or seem to function like blueberries despite the common misconception.
The Berry's name are a good indication on what fruit/vegetable its based on. ;)

Wiki would taste like Kiwi.
Kiwis are sweet not astringent :<

Acording to gen IV

Gen IV caption for Oran Berries said:
Nature's gifts came together as one in this Berry. It has a wondrous mix of flavors that spread in the mouth
and it's stats are 10 in Spicy, Dry, Sweet, Bitter and Sour
It tastes mildly of most things :P

(oh an there is a salty taste in the pokemon world since we have shoal salt, just not on berries)

Last edited:
Humans eat Pokemon parts in Pokemon XY.
You can see from the menu of restaurants like Le Wow.

Also from the Canalave Library, humans eat Pokemon, release the bones and let the bones come to life again, and then eat the same Pokemon again.
So from that tale, you can eat a Pokemon without fully killing it.

You also have references about how Farfetch'd were hunted to near extinction because people eat them.
Sorry to go back to the "what do pokemon/humans eat" topic, but I wanted to make a social observation on it. And Pokemon is really all over the place in terms of carnivores. Even if you disregard the pokedex entries and non-canon, you still have it sneaking in here and there, as Cresselia~~ points out. But then they subvert that by gameplay only allowing your pokemon to eat berries, candy, or baked goods.

While it is easy to put this under the umbrella of the dubious nature of how much pokemon are supposed to be like animals or not, I wanted to point out that carnivore confusion ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CarnivoreConfusion ) is extremely common in media, especially when it's aimed at children. It usually follows one of two roads, either carnivores are depicted as villainous (the Sharpteeth from Land Before Time) or like Pokemon, the issue is left unspoken as it suits them. Like a giant Donphan in the room.

While there are exceptions-

...yeah I got nothing. It's very very rare for a piece of media to have carnivores that explicitly eat meat or hunt but aren't villainous. I'm sure they exist but I can't think of any good examples. Even things like Lion King or Zootopia that begin to address it eventually bailed. Madagascar had this topic as it's entire plot, only to basically pull a "fish don't count as people" for the resolution.

Off topic, but this very trope inspired me to write a NaNoWriMo last year regarding a wendigo character that questions his morality as an obligate carnivore forced to only eat humans to survive (with no chance of curing or compromise, a true predator). I really should finish it, but part of the reason I dropped it is I have no idea what the resolution should be. Is it okay to live as a cannibal when you're an obligate carnivore?

-in general its probably avoided due to the mountain of implications. So we get a very black and white painting of morality, but that might be for the best.

In short, my point is it's best not to criticize Pokemon too much for avoiding the carnivore issue when nearly all media does it too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sorry to go back to the "what do pokemon/humans eat" topic, but I wanted to make a social observation on it. And Pokemon is really all over the place in terms of carnivores. Even if you disregard the pokedex entries and non-canon, you still have it sneaking in here and there, as Cresselia~~ points out. But then they subvert that by gameplay only allowing your pokemon to eat berries, candy, or baked goods.

While it is easy to put this under the umbrella of the dubious nature of how much pokemon are supposed to be like animals or not, I wanted to point out that carnivore confusion ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CarnivoreConfusion ) is extremely common in media, especially when it's aimed at children. It usually follows one of two roads, either carnivores are depicted as villainous (the Sharpteeth from Land Before Time) or like Pokemon, the issue is left unspoken as it suits them. Like a giant Donphan in the room.

While there are exceptions-

...yeah I got nothing. It's very very rare for a piece of media to have carnivores that explicitly eat meat or hunt but aren't villainous. I'm sure they exist but I can't think of any good examples. Even things like Lion King or Zootopia that begin to address it eventually bailed. Madagascar had this topic as it's entire plot, only to basically pull a "fish don't count as people" for the resolution.

Off topic, but this very trope inspired me to write a NaNoWriMo last year regarding a wendigo character that questions his morality as an obligate carnivore forced to only eat humans to survive (with no chance of curing or compromise, a true predator). I really should finish it, but part of the reason I dropped it is I have no idea what the resolution should be. Is it okay to live as a cannibal when you're an obligate carnivore?

-in general its probably avoided due to the mountain of implications. So we get a very black and white painting of morality, but that might be for the best.

In short, my point is it's best not to criticize Pokemon too much for avoiding the carnivore issue when nearly all media does it too.
Actually this reminds me how Sun & Moon did address this issue. If you may remember, during the first visit to the Aether Paradise we're told how Toxipex prey on Corsola and Hau's response was that's nature and nature can be cruel. Now you can say they were just dodging the issue much like how they did so with Team Plasma's "people make Pokemon their slaves" in BW, but then again I think Hau's response would eventually be the conclusion point.

Oh, as for people eating Pokemon, let's also not forget Slowpoke Tails. But onto the question of herding Tauros, maybe there's regulations to how the process should go. Maybe the Tauros are allowed to live out most of their life, at least until they reach their peak where their meat would be the most delicious. Then comes the dirty issue of the killing, but the issue is more about killing a sentient creature. The only way I can think around that is maybe they use a Ghost-type Pokemon to perform a ceremony where they move the Tauros soul out of it body and to the afterlife, painless and leaving its body an empty husk ready to be processed into steaks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)