SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Maybe it's possible that humans were a mix between fighting and psychic type pokemon. Because of the fact that few people are psychic, maybe it's a reccesive gene. If people only descended from one or the other they would either all be psychic or none of them would.

Last edited:
Psychic powers seem like a rather significant dormant trait in humans and explains quite a bit of weirdness ... sufficiently advanced psychic power (in fiction in general and, possibly, within the pokemon world as well) has the potential to warp reality, after all ... by the way, what´s the deal with Inver´s Inverse Battles?

Not sure if I can agree with that...wouldn't that still make them Pokemon? Also, which Pokemon did they descend from? (Jynx!?!?!?!)
Well, take real world evolution. Just cause we share a common ancestor with chimps doesn't make us chimps. There was something that eventually caused humans and Pokémon to be different, more so than different Pokémon are to each other.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, take real world evolution. Just cause we share a common ancestor with chimps doesn't make us chimps. There was something that eventually caused humans and Pokémon to be different, more so than different Pokémon are to each other.
Yeah that would make sense I guess, maybe humans are related to Jynx and Mr. Mimes lol (and Gardevoirs...oh Lord)

Like I said on the last page, I think their reliance on technology and other Pokemon caused their psychic abilities to become passive and that's kind of where they split off.

That links more with the whole Ditto are failed Mewtwos
Which has been confirmed that Ditto aren't failed Mew clones. See the link Vader_the_White provided.

Lucariomaster2's theory is kind of well thought out, but I see a few holes in it. One, unless there's been some canonical change after HG/SS, Lugia and Ho-Oh resided at the top of the Brass and Tin/Bell Tower respectively. It was Lugia's tower that got struck by lightning and burned almost to the ground, causing it to flee for the Whirl Islands. Lugia can cause raging 40 day storms, but it seems as though it's also able to keep the seas calm. Rather important when its new home is right between Olivine City and Cianwood City. Ho-Oh fled after reviving Raikou/Entei/Suicune, but it was definitely around before that event.

A second is that most of the theory hinges on the idea that Mew really is the ancestor of Pokemon. So far as I've read on its entries, it's only believed to be, and only because of all the moves it can learn. The scientists mentioned in its dex entries haven't actually tried to prove one way or another if it really is the ancestor of (at least modern) Pokemon. (not to mention I feel Pokemon benefited from the gift of spirit provided by the Lake trio, especially with all the things the games implement to try and get the idea across that they're not mindless robots. Is it not happy to see you in Pokemon Amie? Angered if you let it faint in battle too many times? How often does the game mention your Pokemon giving their all in battle because they believe in you? How about the fact wild Pokemon are even willing to appear and battle rather than sit there like lifeless lumps?) I've already mentioned that Grimer/Muk throw a monkey wrench into the theory because they're supposed to be sludge given life. Trubbish/Garbodor does similarly, being trash given life.

We should at least entertain the idea that Mew is just Mew. It's only descendant being Mewtwo, but not really having direct ties to anything else. Much like the theory it was based on was debunked later. Now that I think about it, it'd be kind of cool if that would prove to be the case, as then it makes it closer to its real life basis. (we could still love the little thing even if it's not as special as everyone seems to think it is, right?)

Which has been confirmed that Ditto aren't failed Mew clones. See the link Vader_the_White provided.

Lucariomaster2's theory is kind of well thought out, but I see a few holes in it. One, unless there's been some canonical change after HG/SS, Lugia and Ho-Oh resided at the top of the Brass and Tin/Bell Tower respectively. It was Lugia's tower that got struck by lightning and burned almost to the ground, causing it to flee for the Whirl Islands. Lugia can cause raging 40 day storms, but it seems as though it's also able to keep the seas calm. Rather important when its new home is right between Olivine City and Cianwood City. Ho-Oh fled after reviving Raikou/Entei/Suicune, but it was definitely around before that event.

A second is that most of the theory hinges on the idea that Mew really is the ancestor of Pokemon. So far as I've read on its entries, it's only believed to be, and only because of all the moves it can learn. The scientists mentioned in its dex entries haven't actually tried to prove one way or another if it really is the ancestor of (at least modern) Pokemon. (not to mention I feel Pokemon benefited from the gift of spirit provided by the Lake trio, especially with all the things the games implement to try and get the idea across that they're not mindless robots. Is it not happy to see you in Pokemon Amie? Angered if you let it faint in battle too many times? How often does the game mention your Pokemon giving their all in battle because they believe in you? How about the fact wild Pokemon are even willing to appear and battle rather than sit there like lifeless lumps?) I've already mentioned that Grimer/Muk throw a monkey wrench into the theory because they're supposed to be sludge given life. Trubbish/Garbodor does similarly, being trash given life.
I realize that my theory has some conflicts with the canon; I'll confess that it's intentional because I think it's more exciting. Rule of cool. As for Grimer/Trubbish not being descended from Mew, I think the idea is that Mew is the ancestor of all natural Pokemon. Grimer and Trubbish are not natural.

I will confess that I *completely* forgot about things like bonds and Amie while I was writing the theory. But if you think about it, why did humans become the dominant species in the Pokemon world while Pokemon remained wild for the most part? Perhaps the Lake Trio, in addition to giving all living things a spirit, also gave humans imagination, which is what truly separates us? I'm gonna end here before this gets too philosophical, but I do acknowledge your argument.

Finally, I'd just like to remind people that my theory is just that: a theory. Really, it's a story, and I strongly encourage people to come up with their own ideas of how the Pokemon world and its inhabitants came to be.

Last edited:
Well ... Mew itself could be more something along the lines of a concept ... the concept of evolution (adapting to the world) ... maybe even that of a being that contains the potential to be anything that´s possible;

... so maybe Mew doesn´t actually possess the DNA of every pokemon but rather the toolbox to adapt to any circumstances.

Here is something I always wondered, is Exeggcute a seed or an egg. At first glance they really seem to look like eggs because of similar shape and color, heck the open one even has the similar inside as an egg. It's species name is also the egg Pokemon. Various Pokedex entries also confirm it is an egg, like Ruby for example:

This Pokémon consists of six eggs that form a closely knit cluster. The six eggs attract each other and spin around. When cracks increasingly appear on the eggs, Exeggcute is close to evolution.

However other Pokedex entries really seem to contradict this, saying they are seeds often mistaken for eggs. For example here is what Pokemon Red says:

It is often mistaken for eggs. When disturbed, they gather quickly and attack in swarms.

So are these Pokemon eggs or seeds. Even the Pokedex doesn't seem to know so how can we. Personally I think that the Pokedex is dumb and sometimes confuses them for eggs themselves so they are seeds but that is just me.

Detective Barricade said:
We should at least entertain the idea that Mew is just Mew. It's only descendant being Mewtwo, but not really having direct ties to anything else. Much like the theory it was based on was debunked later. Now that I think about it, it'd be kind of cool if that would prove to be the case, as then it makes it closer to its real life basis. (we could still love the little thing even if it's not as special as everyone seems to think it is, right?)
As for mew not being anything "special" or the descendant of all pokemon it makes sense. If you think about it, the one place that you can find it in the core games is on faraway island where he was left by Dr. Fuji. When you enter the island there is a sign that says something along the lines of "May the next person that comes here be kindhearted...etc)", and when you actually encounter mew he plays with you! Not exactly "creator of all" material. If he was bored why didn't he just create another pokemon to chill with. It seems mew lacks the power (and maybe intelligence) for all pokemon to descend from.

Yeah that would make sense I guess, maybe humans are related to Jynx and Mr. Mimes lol (and Gardevoirs...oh Lord)

Like I said on the last page, I think their reliance on technology and other Pokemon caused their psychic abilities to become passive and that's kind of where they split off.
I realize that my theory has some conflicts with the canon; I'll confess that it's intentional because I think it's more exciting. Rule of cool. As for Grimer/Trubbish not being descended from Mew, I think the idea is that Mew is the ancestor of all natural Pokemon. Grimer and Trubbish are not natural.

I will confess that I *completely* forgot about things like bonds and Amie while I was writing the theory. But if you think about it, why did humans become the dominant species in the Pokemon world while Pokemon remained wild for the most part? Perhaps the Lake Trio, in addition to giving all living things a spirit, also gave humans imagination, which is what truly separates us? I'm gonna end here before this gets too philosophical, but I do acknowledge your argument.

Finally, I'd just like to remind people that my theory is just that: a theory. Really, it's a story, and I strongly encourage people to come up with their own ideas of how the Pokemon world and its inhabitants came to be.
The answer is so obvious, you guys are just blind. Besides the technology bit and imagination, the main reason humans are different from Pokemon is that we don't suffer from 4-Move Slot Syndrome.

There, mystery solved. /jk

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The answer is so obvious, you guys are just blind. Besides the technology bit and imagination, the main reason humans are different from Pokemon is that we don't suffer from 4-Move Slot Syndrome.

There, mystery solved. /jk
Exactly, we have infinite possibilities thanks to Arceus giving us the power of writing as Unown.

Here is something I always wondered, is Exeggcute a seed or an egg. At first glance they really seem to look like eggs because of similar shape and color, heck the open one even has the similar inside as an egg. It's species name is also the egg Pokemon. Various Pokedex entries also confirm it is an egg, like Ruby for example:

This Pokémon consists of six eggs that form a closely knit cluster. The six eggs attract each other and spin around. When cracks increasingly appear on the eggs, Exeggcute is close to evolution.

However other Pokedex entries really seem to contradict this, saying they are seeds often mistaken for eggs. For example here is what Pokemon Red says:

It is often mistaken for eggs. When disturbed, they gather quickly and attack in swarms.

So are these Pokemon eggs or seeds. Even the Pokedex doesn't seem to know so how can we. Personally I think that the Pokedex is dumb and sometimes confuses them for eggs themselves so they are seeds but that is just me.
I believe they truly are eggs, it just says they're mistaken for eggs since some people may see them as normal eggs and not a Pokemon until they get closer/ attacked. That was harder to word than I thought.

As for mew not being anything "special" or the descendant of all pokemon it makes sense. If you think about it, the one place that you can find it in the core games is on faraway island where he was left by Dr. Fuji. When you enter the island there is a sign that says something along the lines of "May the next person that comes here be kindhearted...etc)", and when you actually encounter mew he plays with you! Not exactly "creator of all" material. If he was bored why didn't he just create another pokemon to chill with. It seems mew lacks the power (and maybe intelligence) for all pokemon to descend from.
Being the ancestor of all Pokemon doesn't mean Mew created any Pokemon. Evolution =/= creation.

Wishy said:
Being the ancestor of all Pokemon doesn't mean Mew created any Pokemon. Evolution =/= creation.
Lol. How exactly would something go about descending from mew? Either he A: created a pokemon or B: there were already pokemon there that he could breed with, which dosent make sense if he is "the ancestor to all pokemon".

Lol. How exactly would something go about descending from mew? Either he A: created a pokemon or B: there were already pokemon there that he could breed with, which dosent make sense if he is "the ancestor to all pokemon".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

I don't think it is ever explicitly stated that there has only ever been 1 Mew. It's possible that there could have been way more in the past.

And anyway, I doubt GameFreak really thinks about these things (ie, the origin of Pokemon and the world itself) as in depth as we do. Mew and Arceus are just Pokemon that represent/were inspired by abstract concepts of the origin of life on Earth (biological evolution vs. divine creation). Aside from some interesting lore, at the end of the day neither Pokemon were actually thought out beyond that. The rest is left up to our imaginations to fill in the holes, which is why this thread exists. That's the fun in Pokemon; GF created a world rich enough you can immerse yourself in but leave plenty of loose ends so we can come up with our own conclusions.

Well said.

So onto the most mysterious of mysteries, WHO ARE THOSE TWO RED AND BLUE MASKED SUPERHEROES?! The world may never know...

Nah, let's talk about Entralink and the Dream World. Specifically, what is it? A mysterious dimension that pokemon can hail from, with connections to other parallel Unova's, and it contains a little house and garden for you :).

Still, the entire Dream World is just bizarre in how it fits with the series. Like, is it a dimension like the Distortion World, or is it all in their heads? Do Darkrai and Cresselia have any power over it? If not, then why Musharna of all pokemon? Are your pokemon just getting high on "dream smoke"?What happened to the Dream World since the shutdown? Is Fennel (and other researchers) broke now?

Well like always, I have a couple theories borrowed from other games.

1. Entralink is the Pokemon version of the Velvet Room. For those not familiar, the Velvet Room is a place in the Persona series, resided by an old man named Igor and his various attendants. The Persona series is founded heavily by Tarot (fortune telling) and Jungian psychology, and the Velvet Room is said to exist between the real world and the realm of the collective unconscious. Hard to sum up without a whole game speech with a psych lecture, but in function it's a place where you can summon legendary figures, demons, and angels from the depths of your mind to fight for you. Has a lot of parallels with the Entralink, mainly both are in-between one world and another, presided by an Old Man and his attendants, give you monsters to fight for you (and items sometimes), and is (mostly) only accessible by the protagonist. I always found it odd that the Entralink is hardly ever mentioned in-game, and only accessible via warping.

2. Entralink is the Outrealm Gate. This one is from Fire Emblem Awakening, the Outrealm Gate is a gate to various parallel worlds. In these you can fight (and recruit) copies of various legendary heroes called Einherjar, which differ from the real deals in that they are almost a summarized version of the real deal (and you summon them through cards... no wonder that PersonaxFireEmblem cross is in the works...). There are some notable exceptions (you recruit a certain older brother of a character whose explicitly not an Einherjar but an alternate reality version of the "prime" one) but basically the Outrealm Gate is like the Velvet Room but with alternate dimensions instead of links to the collective unconscious. Still this difference is significant, in that its the dividing line between believing that the Dream World is it's own dimension merely "accessed" by dreaming, or if it is a product of a Pokemon's mind but with the capability of becoming real.

What do you guys think?

It's been over a week. Time to perform CPR on the topic.

While I still really want a Dream World discussion to start, the new ORAS videos got me thinking.

At one point in Ruby/Sapphire, the evil team steals a submarine to go and find Kyogre/Groudon. You then just dive after them and follow. The big question is, why did they need to steal a sub?

Other NPC's have used or said that they use HM's, so why couldn't the team just use Dive? I guess the HM could be a rare one, but that begs the question of who or what makes TM's anyway. And since there is an entire city only reachable by diving (or flying, but you'd have to dive first), then it can't be that exclusive. Generation shifts make it worse, since Dive is now naturally learned by Wailmer.

Could give credence to my "badges = driver's license" theory, since as an illegal/wanted organization obtaining the gym badge for dive might not be possible without being arrested. Another more mundane theory is that they had special equipment they needed to keep dry but I can't think of any (just the red/blue orb, but are they really water soluable? Doubtful). This explanation also just adds more questions, since the player can swim and dive without breaking the pokedex.

I get why boats are needed (harsh un-surfable currents are well established in the pokemon universe), but if the player can reach these underwater caves without assistance then why did they need a submarine?

In the new trailer it looks like either Captain Stern or Team Aqua pimped out the sub to look like Mega-Sharpedo, so maybe the just wanted to ride in style?

At one point in Ruby/Sapphire, the evil team steals a submarine to go and find Kyogre/Groudon. You then just dive after them and follow. The big question is, why did they need to steal a sub?

Other NPC's have used or said that they use HM's, so why couldn't the team just use Dive? I guess the HM could be a rare one, but that begs the question of who or what makes TM's anyway. And since there is an entire city only reachable by diving (or flying, but you'd have to dive first), then it can't be that exclusive. Generation shifts make it worse, since Dive is now naturally learned by Wailmer.

Could give credence to my "badges = driver's license" theory, since as an illegal/wanted organization obtaining the gym badge for dive might not be possible without being arrested. Another more mundane theory is that they had special equipment they needed to keep dry but I can't think of any (just the red/blue orb, but are they really water soluable? Doubtful). This explanation also just adds more questions, since the player can swim and dive without breaking the pokedex.
An even more mundane explanation is that all of Team Aqua got there, not just Archie. But this raises another question of how they managed to fit that many Team Aqua grunts in a single sub

Additionally Team Aqua uses a bunch of Wailmer as a roadblock in Lillycove (in Emerald for sure, maybe Ruby and Sapphire too), so it's not like they lack the whale-power. Heck, I think they were trying to get them to dive if I remember correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)