National Dex Speedrun Planning

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread is for my 100% theorymon 'how fast could a group of players 100% the game with the least amount of necessary games'. I used to have a thread for this but it was old and before XY. I never plan to actually run this with a ton of other players simultaneously, this is all for the fun. I have seen charity runners do a really optimized job with this and I'm really interested in making a cohesive and logical master plan.

Here is the chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SbXV4ZnEyckZlRzQySFZ6cGc&usp=drive_web#gid=10

Some of my ground rules:

-No repeated games
-No unnecessary games
-No using GTS, Wondertrade, Friend Safari, or other crowd sourcing techniques
-Only gift Pokemon that are absolutely necessary are allowed
-Gift Pokemon cannot be used in the run
-Pokewalker is not allowed
-Dream World is not allowed
-Entralink should be avoided (haven't seen any reason to use it)
-Assume all players start playing at the same time
-This run assumes that dex category on one = dex for all, so I don't need a Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur. But this plan could be easily modified to create that sort of run

Additionally I have tried to:

-Distribute Pokemon according to the best game for them to be caught
-Hierarchy of Pokemon per game according to how easy it is to level up/beat/overall speed
-Avoid the Safari Zones (currently I never need to actually enter one)
-Minimize total number of trades/transfers (except for BW > XY)
-Cut down on roaming legends

Currently the first two charts are up to date, while individual game plans are sorely out of date. But I need help optimizing the overall structure of the games and which Pokemon belong where. Here are the list of games.
X: Easily one of the strongest candidates to finish first, has strong stuff like Greninja, Aegislash, Charizard, Talonflame that all need to be trained. Thank you gen 6 for easy Snubbul, Lucario, and high level Gible. Once done transfers B/W/B2 by the boxload to mass level. Not needing a third gen 6 game for the last starter is also fantastic.

Y: Will probably be slower because nothing particularly fantastic in early lineup. Needs to get to Zygarde. Will still probably be really fast finishing cause XY are easy to finish. Having Stunky easily caught was a game changer from gen 5 > 6 in my planning, makes gen 4 so much easier

Black 2: A game with so many legends you get two Masterballs. I put them to good use on Latios and Crescelia. Which would be roaming nightmares in other games. This game has a weird assortment of random Unova mons and the weird selection of other mons they decided would now fit in Unova. Also known as Magnezone and magnet friends glory run. I also take advantage of the weird trades this game has, the easy access to Sword trio, and some Pokemon that can be caught + evolved in one level.

Black: The sweet summer run that goes to run after Kyurem, also Tornadus, and Landorus. I have Masterball for Kyurem but it could go maybe to the roamer, it's hard to say. Will probably need to be saved by transferring mons to X version cause this run could take a while.

White: The winter run, has to do Victini side event, get Feebas. I generally used this run to get some out of the way mons like the monkies. Ideally the only game that doesn't require a mass transfer to Y for easy level up.

HeartGold: Tries to run through the main game while Headbutting and Rock Smashing all the dumb side areas it needs to. There are a lot of good mons at high levels in the HG/SS games that are really easy to get if you know where to look.

SoulSilver: Has to get Groudon, which is rather tough, luckily most of this game is really easy, and will get some transferred mons to help ease the burden to get there. Also is set Wednesday for Hoenn Sound which is really necessary for random stuff. Hits Routes to the Safari Zone for easy Groudon access later.

Pearl: This is where things get really weird. Pearl has only a handful of mons, so really just get those, get Palkia and Mesprit. But along the way catch every single Pokemon you can, or use the breeding technique to get a ton of eggs. The end goal is 1000 in Pokemon Ranch for Mew.

Platinum: Basically here to get all the Sinnoh Pokemon so the other two games can transfer to Ranch. Lv 1 Regigigas, Unown, Azelf, Uxie, Heatran, Giratina. I prefer the Torterra/Staraptor team of death.

Diamond: The evilest run, needs to get a ton of mons on the slowest games. The plan is to trade Bidoof between Diamond and Pearl, rush to Solaceontown. After that just daycare till you die. Just get the eggs, refresh Pokewalker and count to 1000 (have fun). There is probably a reasonable excuse to use an event Mew but I feel that takes the real challenge out of the games.

Sapphire: I need at least one ADV game so that I can get a third Hoenn starter (thanks HG/SS). I ended up picking Sapphire because it’s the easiest game to get Lotad (without hatching, Safari Zone, or random White Forest). Has a lot of random small stuff, which should be done during the run. But priority is on Rayquaza/Regis, since I cannot get Regigigas without one, and beating Red is easier with the other.

Colosseum: I needed a third Johto starter, Espeon/Umbreon, and HG/SS roamers were threatening to give a huge headache. This was the logical addition. I would argue for the mons to count they also need to be purified, so they could all feasibly be transferred onto a single game. The way I see this game is that it will likely finish before Sapphire, at which point you transfer over what is necessary along with some basic stuff to level up spam. Rinse and repeat until Sapphire and Colosseum are both complete.

So tell me where I can improve. I do actually hope to get a good chunk of this planned out. I am actually at a good point where a third game probably won't rock the boat too much, so getting this done would be rather interesting.

Last edited:
You made a mistake on Sapphire. You seem to be under the impression that you can get the fossils on your first visit to Route 111. You can't. You have to wait until you have the Go-Goggles (which is after Lavaridge Gym).

Other than that, this looks pretty promising actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)