National Pokemon Association- Player's Signup

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Approved by Alaka
Amazing thanks to Dozz for the banner!

It’s the end of the VGC season, and I know a lot of you are still thirsty for glory, especially after missing out on Worlds AND Smogon’s first Five on Five Basketball Classic. For those of you that missed the action, I present to you Smogon’s first ever VGC Association, a combination of your favorite game, Pokemon, and everyone’s favorite sports league, the NBA!

Tournament Structure:

- A manager (there will be eight managers total) will select six players (five starters, one substitute) from a pool of players in a snake draft to form a team.
o A lottery will be used to determine draft order.
- Managers will select an NBA team to represent in the NPA. Alaka was kind enough to come up with some creative knockoffs!
- Just like the NBA, we will be having five on five matches with each player playing one of five official Nintendo metagames (Journey Across America, VGC 09, VGC 10, VGC 11, and GBU Doubles). All metagames must be played in the week.
- If VGC 12 is announced on September 1st, 2011, then we will be replacing GBU Doubles with the VGC 12 metagame.
- Matches will happen every week, with each team playing other teams once.
- A player is not performing as well as you hope? Free agents will be present so you can waive your player and pick up a new one!
- Teams with the most metagame victories by the end of the week will win the match
- The Elite Four teams will then advance to the playoffs where they will battle for the coveted NPA Medals!

General Battle Rules:

- All battles will be best two out of three
- Spectators will be up to the players and teams; if you are watching a battle and are asked to leave by the players or their teammates, it is in your best interest to leave or be punished.
- All battles MUST be done on PO.
- All teams can have SIX Pokémon on it, but each battle they will bring FOUR
- Doubles battles
- Managers should submit a team roster as to who is playing what tier prior to battling.
- Players should submit battle logs to me after your matches.

Specific Battle Rules:

- Gen III Mechanics
- Level 100
- Banned Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys (All forms), Wobbuffet (only with Leftovers attached)
- Banned Items: Soul Dew, Enigma Berry
- SLEEP CLAUSE
- Self-KO Clause
- No Restriction on Ubers
- Team Preview On (Wi-Fi clause)
- Item Clause
- Species Clause

- Gen IV Mechanics
- Level 50
- Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Celebi, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Shaymin, Darkrai, Manaphy, Phione, Arceus, Dragonite (only TRU Dragonite allowed), Tyranitar, Rotom (all forms)
- Banned Items: Soul Dew
- Self-KO Clause
- Team Preview Off
- Item Clause
- Species Clause
- In between battles, players may switch their items around their Pokémon.
- Please submit a team before your matches; we will do random spot checks to make sure that no one is changing their teams in between battles. If you feel as though your opponent has changed teams, contact me IMMEDIATELY
- NO HG/SS MOVE TUTORS, EGG, OR LEVEL UP MOVES.

- Gen IV Mechanics
- Level 50
- Banned Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Darkrai, Manaphy, Phione, Arceus.
- Restricted Pokémon (You may have two of these Pokémon in battle with you): Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina
- Banned Items: Soul Dew
- Self-KO Clause
- Team Preview Off
- Item Clause
- Species Clause
- In between battles, players may switch their items around their Pokémon.
- Please submit a team before your matches; we will do random spot checks to make sure that no one is changing their teams in between battles. If you feel as though your opponent has changed teams, contact me IMMEDIATELY.

- Gen V Mechanics
- Level 50
- UNOVA POKEMON ONLY
- Banned Pokémon: Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyrem, Meloetta, Genesect, and Keldeo.
- Banned Items: Soul Dew, Pinch Berries (except Starf Berry).
- Self-KO Clause
- Team Preview On (Wi-Fi Clause)
- Item Clause
- Species Clause
- You may not change items in between battles.

- Gen V Mechanics
- Level 50
- Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Celebi, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Arceus, Shaymin, Darkrai, Manaphy, Phione, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyrem, Meloetta, Genesect, Keldeo, and Chatot
- Banned Items: Soul Dew, Pinch Berries (except Starf Berry).
- Self-KO Clause
- Team Preview On (Wi-Fi Clause)
- Item Clause
- Species Clause
- You may not change items in between battles.

Tentative Schedule:
August 27- Manager Signups
September 1: Rules for 2012 possibly announced; Signups for players open; Managers selected.
September 8: Player Signups Close
September 9: Draft
September 12-19: Week 1
September 19-26: Week 2
September 26- October 3: Week 3
October 3- 10: Week 4
October 10-17: All-Star Week Surprises!
October 17- 24: Week 5
October 24-31: Week 6
October 31- November 7: Week 7
November 7- 14: Elite Four
November 14-21: NPA Finals!

The order of standings will be determined based on (in order):

• Win Record
  • Battles Won and Battles Lost
  • Head to Head

Congratulations to our NPA Managers and new franchises! Draft order has also been determined and shall now be revealed!

Bluecookies- Cleveland Escavalier

Huy- Chicago Afrobulls

Cosmicexplorer- Detroit Deoxys

Kinneas- San Antonio Spoinks

Unreality- New York Scraftys

The_Chaser- Sacramento Slakings

Dubs- Golden State Wartortles

Alaka- Orlando Magikarp

1. The_Chaser
2. Dubs
3. Alaka
4. Unreality
5. Kinneas
6. Cosmicexplorer
7. Huy
8. Bluecookies
9. Bluecookies
10. Alaka
11. Cosmicexplorer
12. Kinneas
13. Unreality
14. Huy
15. Dubs
16. Huy
17. The_Chaser
18. Dubs
19. The_Chaser
20. Unreality
21. Kinneas
22. Cosmicexplorer
23. Alaka
24. Bluecookies
25. Bluecookies
26. Huy
27. Cosmicexplorer
28. Kinneas
29. Unreality
30. The_Chaser
31. Dubs
32. Alaka
33. Alaka
34. Dubs
35. The_Chaser
36. Unreality
37. Kinneas
38. Cosmicexplorer
39. Huy
40. Bluecookies
41. Bluecookies
42. Huy
43. Cosmicexplorer
44. Kinneas
45. Unreality
46. The_Chaser
47. Dubs
48. Alaka

Anyways, enough about managers, onwards to the bulk of the league, THE PLAYERS!

Player Roles:

- You play to win the game

Players, please include in your signup a list of metagames that you can/are willing to play, a list of accomplishments in your Pokemon career, maybe your preferred playstyle (stall, all-around, hyper-offense, etc.), or something that makes you stand out from the other players. Good luck to everyone!

Signups will end on Wednesday, September 7th at 4:59 PM (GMT -7).
The Draft will be Wednesday, September 7th, at 5:00 PM (GMT -7). Managers, please be there a bit early to ensure that we get this done as soon as possible. Players, if you would like to observe, then follow the action on the SynIRC Network in #NPA.

A list of players can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/npaplayers

Trade Watch:

Orlando Magikarps receive 3rd and 14th picks, Sacramento Slakings receive 1st and 17th picks
Orlando Magikarps receive 10th and 23rd picks, Chicago Afrobulls receive 14th and 16th picks

I'd like to sign up please!

I can play '09, '10, 11, and GBU Doubles.

I think The_Chaser is the only manager that doesn't know me so I'm gonna list my accomplishments for him ;)

'08: 4th Place Juniors NY Regionals (same rules as '09)
'10: 4th Place Seniors NJ Regionals, 17th Place US Nationals (Oh yeah, I won the Smogon VGC tournament too)
'11: 1st Place Seniors DC Regionals, 1st Place US Nationals, 17th Place Worlds

Peaked 1st in VGC 2011 ladder, and am currently 2nd in the GBU ladder, but who cares about that????

Choose me!!!!!!

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
In. Ill play 09,11, or GBU Doubles. Probably best at 11. I got that trophy over there :D.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Just to let everyone know, I am actively looking through all of your histories to determine who is the best fit for my team and its philosophy.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Trainer Name: JRank
Preferred Metagame(s): GBU Doubles, VGC 2010, VGC 2011, JAA (aka I know basics+have a team)
Playstyle: Hyper Offense I guess
Accomplishments: Top 16 Dallas 2010, 22nd at Nationals 2010, failure in 2011, my current GBU Doubles team has been as high as #6 on the skarmbliss don't sue me for advertising ladder, right now somewhere in the Top 15
don't make me play vgc11 unless you want to watch my sun team lose

Trainer Name: TV-Rocka
Preferred Metagame(s): GBU Doubles, VGC 2010, VGC 2011
Timezone: GMT +1

thx for the copy JRank

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In.
I play VGC 10, experience with VGC 11 although there are plenty of better options on that, willing to learn basically any of the others (especially JAA!), planning to really get into VGC 12 if that's announced before this starts.

2nd round exit in both regionals I've played but I haven't been skarm'd yet!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'd love to play.

Without resorting to bragging, I think I'm fairly decent at '09, '10, '11, and GBU, but I have no experience whatsoever with competitive JAA. I'm sure everybody knows, but in case whoever is in charge doesn't, I've gotten T16 at every qualifier I've been allowed to play in, and I've qualified for worlds in '09, and '10, kept up with everyone who made tops at Nats and Worlds '11, and have scored 1800+ on Ranked Doubles GBU. If you need a hyper-offensive player for your team, I'd be a good choice.

in, can play anything but JAA (it was before my time)

my preferred metagames are vgc 09 > gbu doubles > vgc 11 >>> vgc 10

Trainer Name: Plusle
Preferred Metagame(s): GBU Doubles, VGC 2011,
Playstyle:Hyper Offense
Accomplishments: Winner UK Seniors 2011,18th at worlds 2011, peaked 1 at GBU on Skarmbliss and 8th for VGC11

I'm in. I am very confident in my skills in JAA (never got to play in the actual tournament because I was not aware of it until it was too late =[) as well as 09, 10, and 11. I did not get to play in 09 because of the dumb lottery system, lost in '10 because I mispredicted (or my opponent was just a master), and placed 19th at Worlds in 11 (LCQ'd in). Trying to learn GBU Doubles but I don't feel incredibly confident about it, so I would prefer not to play it. I also placed 4th (lost to the winner, Tyler, in the semifinals) in Smogon's first official VGC tournament.

Cassie

giant claw
I guess I might as well sign up.
I walked round two at the regional I attended.
I know '10, '11, and GBU doubles, GBU doubles being preferred. I can learn the others if needed .

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
NO NEED FOR BRAGGING, IMMA GIVE IT TO YOU STRAIGHT

i have been around the doubles competitive scene long enough that i can and have played in all listed metagames, JAA was good times.

preferred: i prefer 2009 and 2010, i play hard and i play to win. no need to brag with my many accomplishments.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
VGC '09
VGC '10
(in that order)

I have decent experience with VGC '09 and VGC '10. I trained my brother in '09, he ended up getting 2nd in our Junior Regionals for '09. I
made it to top 16 in my regionals for '10. I like playing Offense and 'Anti-Meta'. Also, I'm not dumb!!!!!!!

In. I play GBU and '11, preferably GBU. I don't really have any accomplishments, but I managed to score around 1750 on GBU Doubles(Not that great, but its still good I guess). I generally use an all around team, but usually a little more focused on offense.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Players, please include in your signup a list of metagames that you can/are willing to play, a list of accomplishments in your Pokemon career, maybe your preferred playstyle (stall, all-around, hyper-offense, etc.), or something that makes you stand out from the other players. Good luck to everyone!
hi my name is min datoo you may know me as the cool haired brit guy at worlds or the moderator of the vgc forum or #1 babbytron fan my accomplishments are
-#1 on the bw ou ladder
-#1 on the vgc 2004 ladder
-creator of bluecookies

as you can see my expertise lie within vgc2010 so i want to play that if that is alright with you duy ha!!!!

yeah, 2010 please!!!!

i used to play hypere offence but then deaglebeagleehh told me my style was too offensive so i now play stall teams in vgc and they worked out great infact i went 2w 4l in the vgc2011 swiss at worlds but everyone knows vgc2011 sucks except for coonbertron who is too young to know what 2010 or earlier is.

my standout features include:
-being tyler's best friend
-being cute
-best user on smogon

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Crap the number 2 overall pick doesn't have a very good stigma in the NBA...

Can I draft Babbytron and rename him Hasheem? Because you can't stop Thabeet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)