LC Natu

QC Checks: Corporal Levi / Rowan / macle

Final QC Check: Heysup

GP Checks: fleurdyleurse / frenzyplant

Overview
########

Natu has a unique Psychic / Flying typing as well as a unique and useful ability in Magic Bounce. With access to a fairly large movepool, Natu can fill a number of roles effectively. Between its defensive, dual screens, and offensive sets, Natu can make a good fit for any team. However, Natu does have some flaws. Its unique typing makes it very vulnerable to the common Electric-, Dark-, and Rock-types in the tier. Even though its ability allows it to bounce entry hazards away, it still often loses to common Stealth Rock users due to a type disadvantage. Although it has nice offensive coverage, it has terrible offensive stats to use its coverage properly. Overall, Natu can be a great addition to any team, but it needs support and prediction to use correctly.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Roost
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: U-turn / Thunder Wave
ability: Magic Bounce
item: Eviolite
evs: 196 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Roost is used for a steady source of recovery and to improve Natu's longevity. Psychic is a STAB move that hits Poison- and Fighting-types for lots of damage, as well as dealing plenty of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Heat Wave is a great coverage option to hit Ferroseed and Pawniard, which otherwise beats Natu super effectively. U-turn is used to gain momentum and also to hit opposing Psychic-types for decent amounts of damage. Lastly, Thunder Wave allows Natu to spread status with no drawbacks, as it cannot be hit with Taunt or statused itself.

Set Details
========

The given EVs maximize HP for more mixed bulk and hit Eviolite numbers in Natu's defensive stats, and the remaining EVs are put into Special Attack and Speed for slightly more offensive presence. A Bold nature increases Natu's Defense, which helps it take hits. Magic Bounce is why Natu has a niche in Little Cup, preventing it from being hit with Taunt, or statused, as well as bouncing back entry hazards. Finally, Eviolite is the only item that should be considered on this set, as Natu needs the bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Natu can always switch in on a predicted status or hazard move, but it should be wary of attacks. It should never stay in on Dark-types, as they typically have the upper hand. Use Roost whenever you have the chance in order to replenish health to boost Natu's longevity, as while Natu is bulky, it can get worn down. When in doubt, use U-turn to gain momentum and switch into a good option to take care of your opponent. Thunder Wave anything that you need gone or that threatens your team. Good Thunder Wave targets include Pawniard, which might use Sucker Punch, and Fletchling, which poses a threat to lots of Pokemon on many teams.

Team Options
========

Natu provides plenty team support. Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. Shell Smash users such as Omanyte, Dwebble, and Tirtouga can be partners as well, as they appreciate hazards gone. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass-types for these Pokemon. Fighting-types work well with Natu, as they take care of troublesome Dark-types. Ground-types such as Diglett help to beat threatening Electric-types. Anything that is weak to entry hazards and crippled by status typically benefit from Natu's presence.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 2: Heat Wave / Dazzling Gleam
move 3: Sucker Punch / Giga Drain / Roost
move 4: U-turn
item: Life Orb
evs: 116 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
nature: Naive
ivs: 19 HP

Moves
========

Psychic is a STAB move that hits Poison- and Fighting-types for large amounts of damage. It also deals plenty of damage to anything that does not resist it. Heat Wave is a great coverage option for Ferroseed and Pawniard, which otherwise beats Natu. Dazzling Gleam is a good way for Natu to beat Dark-types such as Vullaby which are otherwise some of its worst matchups. Sucker Punch allows Natu to hit threatening Ghost-types such as Gastly, as well as Psychic-types such as Abra. It also helps to pick off weakened opponents. Giga Drain is a great coverage move that allows Natu to deal with some of its biggest threats, including Tirtouga, Omanyte, and weakened Chinchou. Roost is used for a steady source of recovery that improves Natu's longevity. Lastly, U-turn is used to gain momentum, while also hitting opposing Psychic-, Grass-, and Dark-types for decent damage.

Set Details
========

196 Speed EVs allow Natu to hit 17 Speed, which is a highly valuable Speed tier. 196 EVs go into Special Attack to allow Natu to hit harder, and 116 EVs in Attack are used so that U-turn and Sucker Punch do respectable amounts of damage. Magic Bounce is the obvious ability, as it bounces back status moves that could stop a sweep. A Naive nature is good to both boost Speed while not lowering either offensive stat. Finally, Life Orb is used to hit hard, while 19 HP IVs are used to reduce Life Orb damage.

Usage Tips
========

Offensive Natu is not bulky, so it should not be switching into attacks often. Always switch in on predicted status moves. Use U-turn whenever you don't know what your opponent will do, as it allows you to gain momentum. Life Orb damage racks up quickly, so use Roost when you run low on health. As this Natu variant is frail, slow Volt Switch and U-turn users are good teammates to get it in. Chinchou has good type synergy with Natu, while Mienfoo resists Knock Off.

Team Options
========

Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. Shell Smash users, such as Omanyte, Dwebble, and Tirtouga, can also work as partners, as they appreciate having entry hazards removed. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass-types for these Pokemon. Ground-types such as Drilbur can beat problematic Electric-types for Natu. Diglett works especially well as it traps and can safely KO them. Other Pokemon that are weak to entry hazards and crippled by status benefit from Natu's presence.

Dual Screens
########
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Psychic / Wish
item: Light Clay
evs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Reflect and Light Screen provide bulk to Natu and its teammates, allowing them to set up. U-turn is for momentum, and it is a good way to get Natu's teammates in after setting up dual screens. Psychic is a good STAB move that is used so that Natu has at least some offensive presence. Wish can be used instead to provide recovery, and Natu can pass Wishes to its teammates via U-turn to ensure that they're at full health.

Set Details
========

Light Clay is best run here to increase the number of turns that dual screens will be up. This set is not meant to be offensive, as it is used just to set up screens while passively preventing entry hazards as well as providing Wish support. Magic Bounce is the obvious ability. The EV spread is used so that this Natu can be flexible when setting up dual screens. 196 Speed EVs are used so Natu can outspeed many Pokemon and get up screens reliably. 36 EVs are invested into Attack to give U-turn some power, while the rest of the EVs are put into HP and defenses to maximize Natu's bulk. A Jolly nature is used to raise Speed while lowering Special Attack. If you are using Psychic, you can put the 36 EVs into Special Attack instead of Attack and use a Timid nature.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Natu in on any status and hazards, but be wary of attacks. Set up dual screens to help teammates tank hits and pass Wishes. Use U-turn to gain momentum when you don't know what your opponent is going to do. Prediction is key on this set, so always predict switch-ins. Finally, always switch out of Dark-types such as Pawniard, as Natu can't do anything to them.

Team Options
========

Many Pokemon appreciate protection from entry hazards, and Natu works well to mitigate this issue for many Pokemon. Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. Shell Smash Pokemon such as Omanyte, Dwebble, and Tirtouga can be used as well, because they appreciate dual screens' protection as well as hazard blocking. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass-types for these Pokemon. Ground-types such as Drilbur can beat problematic Electric-types for Natu. Diglett works especially well as it traps and can safely KO them. Finally, anything that is weak to entry hazards and crippled by status can benefit from Natu's presence.

Other Options
########

Natu has several other options, but they either don't really fit well into its sets or are outright outclassed. Shadow Ball can be used to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types, but it is generally better to use Sucker Punch. Tailwind can be used to help Natu's teammates by giving them a free Speed boost. It would also allow Natu to get up screens faster, and it could allow Natu to invest in more bulk. Calm Mind can be used with Roost on a sweeper set, but Natu is generally too frail to pull such a set off. Air Cutter can be used as a secondary STAB move, it but is weak. Haze can be used on the Eviolite set to stop sweepers in their tracks, but Natu is typically too frail to tank hits before hazing. Toxic can be used as an alternative to Thunder Wave. Zen Headbutt can be used on a physically based Natu, but its special movepool is much better. Lastly, Feather Dance can be used on a defensively based Natu to lower opponents' Attack.

Checks and Counters
########

**Rock-types**: Rock-types such as Dwebble, Tirtouga, and Archen have a type advantage against and can force Natu to switch, or KO with their respective STABs.

**Ghost-types**: Gastly, Honedge, and Frillish can all KO Natu with a super effective STAB move. They have to be wary of Sucker Punch, however. Additionally, Gastly cannot switch in due to being threatened by Psychic.

**Electric-types**: Magnemite, Chinchou, and Elekid can all KO Natu with their super effective STAB moves.

**Dark-types**: Pawniard, Houndour, and Vullaby can all safely beat Natu with Knock Off, Sucker Punch, or Dark Pulse. Additionally, Dark-types can Pursuit trap Natu so they pose an especially threat. Pawniard has to be wary of Heat Wave, and Vullaby has to watch out for Dazzling Gleam, however.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Spritzee, Munchlax, and Lickitung wall Natu pretty hard. Spritzee is able to set up on Natu, Munchlax can aim for a Body Slam paralysis, and Lickitung can cripple Natu with Knock Off.

Last edited:

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think at least mentioning a Life Orb set would be good. Natu hits 17 speed and 16 SpAtk and can hit pretty hard with Life Orb boosts; plus, it has a great movepool with Psychic, Shadow Ball, Heat Wave, U-turn, etc. I would also add Sucker Punch to OO or slash it on the Life Orb set because it's a great way to hit things like Abra or Misdreavus that would otherwise outspeed and KO Natu.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I think at least mentioning a Life Orb set would be good. Natu hits 17 speed and 16 SpAtk and can hit pretty hard with Life Orb boosts; plus, it has a great movepool with Psychic, Shadow Ball, Heat Wave, U-turn, etc. I would also add Sucker Punch to OO or slash it on the Life Orb set because it's a great way to hit things like Abra or Misdreavus that would otherwise outspeed and KO Natu.
To piggyback off of this, Natu is able to hit 19 HP i.e. the coveted HP number for a Life Orb set, so I agree with Fizz in that Life Orb should get a set mention, maybe even a full set. Also...

116 Atk Life Orb Natu Sucker Punch vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 13-16 (56.5 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

116 Atk Life Orb Natu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abra: 26-31 (136.8 - 163.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Definitely an OO mention imho (and if Missy gets banned then it deserves slash on set, but let's not theorymon just yet, lol).

Also for the first set, the EVs should be 196 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe with a Bold nature and also either slash or mention Thunder Wave / Toxic as Natu can spread status without the fear of being statused via status moves. If you want, you can mention a speedier spread, although I feel a "slow" U-turn is valuable (but that is just me).

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with the above. Also, minor nitpick, but some of your formatting is a bit off:

(Blue is what I have fixed/added)

Magic Bouncer
########
name: Magic Bouncer
move 1: U-Turn
move 4: Psychic
evs:
nature:

I know it's weird, but move 1, ability etc should always be lowercase :) (Dual Screens also needs to be fixed)

:)

Natu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Level: 5
EVs: 196 SpA / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Psyshock
- Giga Drain / Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
Mention that Natu has low defensive stats.
Mention that its typing causes it to lose to common Stealth Rock setters.

Magic Bouncer:
Since all of the sets use Magic Bounce, try changing the name to "Defensive".
Is there any reason why you're using Psyshock over Psychic? Psychic has a higher base power, and I don't think there's anything notable that is hit significantly harder by Psyshock.
You're also missing 36 SpA EVs.
I don't really like how the Set Details describe the EVs. Instead, say that the given EVs maximize HP for more mixed bulk, and hit Eviolite numbers with the defensive investments; the remaining EVs are dumped into SpA and Spe for slightly more offensive presence.
Under Team Options, you don't run Dual Screens on this set.

Life Orb:
Like the previous set, Psychic offers more overall power than Psyshock; this is even more important for the offensive set.
As Fizz suggested, you should slash Sucker Punch in there; it OHKOs Gastly and LO Abra, both of which could otherwise outspeed and threaten Natu severely.
I also don't think Roost should be mandatory; Natu is very frail without Eviolite and significant defensive investments, meaning it will often have trouble finding the opportunity to heal.
I don't see much merit in Shadow Ball, when Sucker Punch pretty much does the same thing to Abra and Gastly, the most common Psychic- and Ghost-types, but with priority.
Giga Drain seems like it would have some merit, OHKOing Tirtouga and heavily damaging Chinchou and Drilbur.
The EVs are counterintuitive with the IVs; the HP EVs would be better placed in Attack. You also have an unnecessary amount of SpA EVs.
With all of these things considered, I think you should change the set to:
move 4: U-Turn
evs: 120 HP / 156 Spa / 36 Atk / 196 Spe
As with the previous set, you don't run Dual Screens on this set, like you seem to imply under team options.
Since this Natu variant is frail, slow voltturn users are good teammates to get it in; Chinchou in particular has good type synergy with Natu, while Mienfoo resists Knock Off.

Dual Screens:
Wish doesn't heal very much at all; I think we could afford to slash Psychic and Roost alongside it for Wish / Psychic / Roost for move 4.
You're missing Usage Tips. For example, say to come in on something that doesn't threaten Natu too much and set up the dual screen to weaken the attack from the most likely switch-in to Natu. Preferably add more than that, of course.

Other Options:
Now that it's a main option in the Life Orb set, you can remove Sucker Punch. Remove Giga Drain as well, and add Shadow Ball.
Explain the uses of each of these options and why they are usually not worth it.

Checks and Counters:
Explain what these Pokemon are able to do to Natu and anything they should be wary of (eg Gastly cannot switch into Psychic and usually loses to Sucker Punch unless it carries Substitute).
Add bulky Special walls, who can wall the main Natu sets indefinitely. Spritzee is able to set up Calm Minds in its face, Munchlax can aim for a Body Slam paralysis, and Lickitung can cripple Natu with Knock Off.

You did a pretty solid job, but in some areas you're blatantly missing information, so I would like to withhold QC until I see how they are added.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I messed up; for the Life Orb set, the EVs should be 116 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe.

For the Dual Screens set, I changed my mind - Roost doesn't really add much because you're just wasting your own screen time. I also think Psychic is more useful than Wish so for the last slot make it Psychic / Wish.

I would like you to give a brief description of all the OO options because they all do very different things, and explain why they usually aren't worth it.

You mention in all three Usage Tips to switch Natu into hazard setters, but as stated in the overview, Natu tends to lose to common Stealth Rock setters; instead, say to switch in on predicted hazard moves, but be careful of being attacked instead.

Otherwise, it looks good to go. Good work
QC 1/3

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########

Natu is an interesting Pokemon in the Little Cup metagame, with its unique typing, and the fact that it's the only Pokemon in Little Cup with the very useful ability of, Magic Bounce. With access to a fairly large movepool, Natu can fill a number of roles effectively. Between its Ddefensive, Ddual Sscreens, and Ooffensive sets, Natu can make a good fit for any team. There are a few negatiHowever, Natu does have qualities that Natu exhibits, howeversome detrimental flaws. It's unique typing makes it very vulnerable to the common Electric-, Dark-, and Rock-types in the tier. Even though it's ability allows it to bounce hazards away, it often loses to common Stealth Rock users fromdue to a type disadvantage. Although it has nice offensive coverage, it has terrible offensive stats to often utilize them properly. Overall, Natu can be a great addition to any team, but it needs a bit of support and prediction to use correctly.

Defensive
########
Defensive
move 4: U-Turn / Thunder Wave

Moves
========

Roost is used for a steady source of recovery, and to improves Natu's longevity. Psychic is the main STAB option that hits Poison types- and Fighting -types for lots of damage, as well as also dealing plenty of damage to anything nothat doesn't resisting it. Heat Wave is a great coverage option forto hit Steel -types such as Ferroseed and especially Pawniard, which otherwise beats it, super effectively. U-Tturn is used to gain momentum mainly, while, and also to hitting opposing Psychic -types for decent amounts of damage. Lastly, Thunder Wave allows Natu to spread status, with no drawbacks, asince it cannot be hit with Taunted or statused itself.

Set Details
========

The given EVs maximize HP for more mixed bulk, and hit Eviolite numbers with the defensive investments, while the remaining EVs are dumped into Special Attack and Speed for slightly more offensive presence. A Bold Nnature increases Natu's defense, which helps it take hits. Magic Bounce allows Natu tois why Natu haves a niche in the LC metagame, and prevents it from being hit with Taunted, statused, and other teams from getting up any form of entry hazard, while bouncing them right back as its own. Finally, Eviolite is the only item forthat should be considerationed on this set, as it needs the bulk to properly utilize this set.

Usage Tips
========

There are always a few good things to note when using Natu. It can always switch in on a predicted status move as well as any hazard move, but it also should be wary of attacks. It should never stay in on Dark -types, as they typically they have the upper hand. Always use Roost whenever you have the chance to replenish health, as it allowboosts Natu's longer survivability, and overall usefulness. While Natu is bulky and carries an Eviolite, it can get worn down and needs to recover HP. When in doubt, use U-Tturn to gain momentum and switch into a good option to take care of your opponent. Always Thunder Wave anything that you need gone or that threatens your team. Good things include Pawniard, which might use Sucker Punch, or Fletchling, which poses a threat to lots of Pokemon on many teams.

Team Options
========

As far as team support goes, Natu provides plenty. Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour would appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. You could put Shell Smash Pokemon on this teamusers can work as well, because they appreciate no hazards gone, such as Omantye, Dwebble, and Tirtouga. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass -types for these Pokemon. Fighting -types work well with Natu, as they take care of troublesome Dark -types. Electric -types also pose a big threat, so gGround -types likesuch as Diglett help into beating these threats. In facthe end, anything that is weak to entry hazards and crippled by status benefits from Natu's presence.

Life Orb
########
Life Orb
move 4: U-Tturn

Moves
========

Psychic is the main STAB option that hits Poison types- and Fighting -types for large amounts of damage. It also deals plenty of damage to anything not resisting it. Heat Wave is a great coverage option for Steel -types such as Ferroseed and especially Pawniard, which otherwise beats it. Dazzling Gleam is a good way for Natu to beat Dark -types, such as Vullaby, which are some of its worst matchups otherwise. Sucker Punch allows Natu to hit threatening Ghost types such as Gastly, as well as Psychic -types likesuch as Abra. It also helps to picking off weakened opponents, and is boosted by Life Orb. Giga Drain is a great coverage move that allows Natu to deal with some of its biggest threats such as Tirtouga, Omanyte, and Wweakened Chinchou. Roost is for a steady source of recovery, and improves Natu's longevity. Lastly, U-Tturn is to gain momentum, while also hitting opposing Psychic-, Grass-, and Dark -types for decent damage.

Set Details
========

196 Speed allows Natu to hit 17 Speed, which is highly valuable. 196 EVs go into SpA for good damageecial Attack to hit harder, and 116 EVs in Attack are used so U-Tturn and Sucker Punch do respectable amounts pf damage. Magic Bounce is the obvious ability, as it bounces back status moves that could haltstop a sweepers short. A Naive nature is good to boost sSpeed, and does not drop either attackoffensive stats. Finally, Life Orb is used to hit hard, while 19 HP IVs isare used to reduce Life Orb damage.

Usage Tips
========

Natu is much less bulky on this set, so it should not be switching in often on attacks. Always switch in on predicted status moves and hazards, however. U-Tturn whenever you don't know what you're opponent will do, as it allows you to gain momentum. Life Orb runs your health downdamage racks up quickly, so use Roost when you run low. Since on helth. As this Natu variant is frail, slow Volt Switch and U-Tturn users are good teammates to get it in. Chinchou, in particular, has good type synergy with Natu, while Mienfoo resists Knock Off.

Team Options
========

Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour would appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. You could put Shell Smash Pokemon on thiusers, such as Omanyteam as well, Dwebble, Tirtouga, can also work, because they appreciate nohaving hazards, such as Omantye, Dwebble, Tirtouga removed. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass -types for these pokemon. Ground -types like such asDrilbur can beat problematic Electric -types for Natu. Diglett works especially well as it traps them and can safely KO them. Other stuffPokemon that isare weak to entry hazards and crippled by status benefit from Natu's presence.

Dual Screens
########
Dual Screens

Moves
========

Reflect and Light Screen cut the power of all attacks in half and givprovide bulk to Natu and its teammates, allowing them set up. U-Tturn is for momentum, and is a good way to get your teammates in after setting screens. Psychic can be used as a good STAB move so itNatu has at least some offensive presence. Lastly, Wish provides recovery, and, after a Wish, you can U-Tturn into a pPokemon that is about tocan set up to ensure it's at full health.

Set Details
========

There are a few things to note for this set, as alternate spreads could be used. Light Clay is best run here to increase the number of turns screen longevitys will be up. This set is not meant to fightbe offensive, just to set up screens while passively preventing entry hazards and provide wing Wish support. Magic Bounce is the obvious ability. The EV spread is pretty evenused so that this Natu can be flexible when setting up screens. 196 Speed is used so Natu can outspeed and get up screens reliably. 36 EVs are invested into aAttack to give U-Tturn some power, while the rest of the EVs are put into HP and defenses to maximize its bulk. A Jolly nature is used to raise sSpeed, while dropping lowering Special DefenseAttack. Lastly, it is important to note that If you are using Psychic, you can put the 36 EVs into Specaial Attack instead of Attack, and use a Timid nature.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Natu in on any status and hazards, but be wary of attacks. Set up screens to tank hits, pass wWishes, and help teammates take hits as well. U-Tturn when you don't know what your opponent is going to do, to gain momentum. Prediction is very key on this set, so always predict switch-ins. Finally, always switch out of Dark -types such as Pawniard, as yoNatu can't do anything to them.

Team Options
========

Many Pokemon appreciate protection from hazards, and Natu works well to aid in this case for any Pokemon. Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour would appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. You could putuse Shell Smash Pokemon on this team as well, because they appreciate screen protection as well as hazard blocking, such as Omantye, Dwebble, Tirtouga. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass types for these Pokemon. Ground -types likesuch as Drilbur can beat problematic Electric -types for Natu. Diglett works especially well as it traps them and can safely KO. Lastly, anything that is weak to entry hazards and crippled by status benefit from Natu's presence.

Other Options
########

Natu has several other options, but none really fit well into its sets, or are outright outclassed. Shadow Ball can be used to hit Psychic- and Ghost -types, but it is generally better to use Sucker Punch. Tailwind can be used to help Natu's teammates by giving them a free sSpeed boost. It would also allow Natu to get up screens faster, and invest in more bulk. Calm Mind can be used with Roost on a Calm Mind sweeper Natuset, but itNAtu is generally too frail to pull such a set off. Air Cutter can be used as a secondary STAB, although it is weak. Haze can be used on the Eviolite set to stop sweepers in their tracks, but Natu is typically too frail to tank hits before hazing. Toxic can be used as an alternative status to Thunder Wave. Zen Headbutt can be used on a Pphysically based Natu, but its Sspecial movepool is much better. Lastly, Featherd Dance can be used on defensive Natu to lower opponents attack power.

Checks and Counters
########

**Rock -types**: Rock -types such as Dwebble, Tirtouga, and Archen all have a type advantage and can force a switch on Natu. Rock Blast, Stone Edge, and Rock Tomb respectively beat Natu.

**Ghost types**: Gastly, Honedge, and Frilish can all KO Natu with a super effective STAB move. They have to be wary of Sucker Punch, however. Additionally, Gastly cannot switch in due to being threatened by Psychic.

**Electric -types**: Magnemite, Chinchou, and Elekid can all KO Natu with their super effective STAB moves. Thunderbolt and Volt Switch severely damage Natu, if not KO it.

**Dark -types**: Pawniard, Houndour, and Vullaby can all safely beat Natu with Knock Off, Sucker Punch, or Dark Pulse. Additionally, Dark -types can Pursuit a Natu switch, so they pose an especially big threat. Pawniard has to be wary of Heat Wave, and Vullaby has to watch out for Dazzling Gleam, However.

**Bulky Special Walls**: Special walls such as Spritzee, Munchlax, and Lickitung wall Natu pretty hard. Spritzee is able to set up Calm Minds in itNatu's face, Munchlax can aim for a Body Slam paralysis, and Lickitung can cripple Natu with Knock Off.

gp 1/2

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Natu is an interesting Pokemon in the Little Cup metagame, with its has a unique Psychic / Flying typing and as well as a unique and useful ability in the fact that it's the only Pokemon in Little Cup with the useful ability, Magic Bounce. With access to a fairly large movepool, Natu can fill a number of roles effectively. Between its defensive, dual screens, and offensive sets, Natu can make a good fit for any team. However, Natu does have some detrimental flaws. Its unique typing makes it very vulnerable to the common Electric-, Dark-, and Rock-types in the tier. Even though its ability allows it to bounce entry hazards away, it still often loses to common Stealth Rock users due to a type disadvantage. Although it has nice offensive coverage, it has terrible offensive stats to use its coveragetilize them properly. Overall, Natu can be a great addition to any team, but it needs a bit of support and prediction to use correctly.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 4: U-turn / Thunder Wave

Moves
========

Roost is used for a steady source of recovery, (remove comma) and to improve Natu's longevity. Psychic is the main a STAB move option that hits Poison- and Fighting-types for lots of damage, as well as also dealing plenty of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Heat Wave is a great coverage option to hit Steel-types such as Ferroseed and Pawniard, which otherwise beats Natu it, super effectively. U-turn is used to gain momentum, (remove comma) and also to hit opposing Psychic(remove space)-types for decent amounts of damage. Lastly, Thunder Wave allows Natu to spread status with no drawbacks, as it cannot be hit with Taunt or statused itself.

Set Details
========

The given EVs maximize HP for more mixed bulk and hit Eviolite numbers in Natu's defensive stats with the defensive investments, while and the remaining EVs are dumped put into Special Attack and Speed for slightly more offensive presence. A Bold nature increases Natu's Defense, which helps it take hits. Magic Bounce is why Natu has a niche in Little Cup, and prevents preventing it from being hit with Taunt, or statused, and other teams from getting up any form of as well as bouncing back entry hazards, while bouncing them back. Finally, Eviolite is the only item that should be considered on this set, as it Natu needs the bulk to properly utilize this set.

Usage Tips
========

There are always a few good things to note when using Natu. It can always switch in on a predicted status move as well as any hazard move, but it also should be wary of attacks. It should never stay in on Dark-types, as they typically have the upper hand. Always Use Roost whenever you have the chance in order to replenish health, as it boosts to boost Natu's longevity, as and overall usefulness while Natu is bulky and carries an Eviolite, it can get worn down and needs to recover HP. When in doubt, use U-turn to gain momentum and switch into a good option to take care of your opponent. Always Thunder Wave anything that you need gone or that threatens your team. Good things Thunder Wave targets include Pawniard, which might use Sucker Punch, or and Fletchling, which poses a threat to lots of Pokemon on many teams.

Team Options
========

As far as team support goes, Natu provides plenty team support. Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. Shell Smash users such as Omanyte, Dwebble, and Tirtouga can be partners work as well, as they appreciate hazards gone, such as Omantye, Dwebble, and Tirtouga. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass-types for these Pokemon. Fighting-types work well with Natu, as they take care of troublesome Dark-types. Electric-types also pose a big threat, so Ground-types such as Diglett help to beat threatening Electric-types these threats. In fact, Anything that is weak to entry hazards and crippled by status benefits from Natu's presence.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 4: U-turn

Moves
========

Psychic is the main STAB option that is a STAB move that hits Poison- and Fighting-types for large amounts of damage. It also deals plenty of damage to anything that does not resisting it. Heat Wave is a great coverage option for Steel-types such as Ferroseed and Pawniard, which otherwise beats Natu it. Dazzling Gleam is a good way for Natu to beat Dark-types, (remove comma) such as Vullaby, (remove comma) which are otherwise some of its worst matchups otherwise. Sucker Punch allows Natu to hit threatening Ghost-types such as Gastly, as well as Psychic-types such as Abra. It also helps to pick off weakened opponents. Giga Drain is a great coverage move that allows Natu to deal with some of its biggest threats, including such as Tirtouga, Omanyte, and weakened Chinchou. Roost is used for a steady source of recovery, and that improves Natu's longevity. Lastly, U-turn is used to gain momentum, while also hitting opposing Psychic-, Grass-, and Dark-types for decent damage.

Set Details
========

196 Speed EVs allows Natu to hit 17 Speed, which is a highly valuable Speed tier. 196 EVs go into Special Attack to allow Natu to hit harder, and 116 EVs in Attack are used so that U-turn and Sucker Punch do respectable amounts of damage. Magic Bounce is the obvious ability, as it bounces back status moves that could stop a sweep short. A Naive nature is good to both boost Speed, and does not drop while not lowering either offensive stats. Finally, Life Orb is used to hit hard, while 19 HP IVs are used to reduce Life Orb damage.

Usage Tips
========

Natu is much less not bulky on this set, so it should not be switching into attacks often on attacks. Always switch in on predicted status moves and hazards, however. Use U-turn whenever you don't know what your opponent will do, as it allows you to gain momentum. Life Orb damage racks up quickly, so use Roost when you run low on health. As this Natu variant is frail, slow Volt Switch and U-turn users are good teammates to get it in. Chinchou, in particular, has good type synergy with Natu, while Mienfoo resists Knock Off.

Team Options
========

Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour would appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. Shell Smash users, such as Omanyte, Dwebble, and Tirtouga, can also work as partners, as they appreciate having entry hazards removed. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass-types for these Pokemon. Ground-types such as Drilbur can beat problematic Electric-types for Natu. Diglett works especially well as it traps and can safely KO them. Other Pokemon that are weak to entry hazards and crippled by status benefit from Natu's presence.

Dual Screens
########
name: Dual Screens

Moves
========

Reflect and Light Screen cut the power of all attacks in half and provide bulk to Natu and its teammates, allowing them to set up. U-turn is for momentum, and it is a good way to get your Natu's teammates in after setting up dual screens. Psychic can be used as a is a good STAB move that is used so that Natu has at least some offensive presence. Lastly, Wish can be used instead to provides recovery, and Natu can pass Wishes to its teammates via U-turn, after a Wish, you can U-turn into a Pokemon that can set up to ensure that it's they're at full health.

Set Details
========

There are a few things to note for this set, as alternate spreads could be used. Light Clay is best run here to increase the number of turns that dual screens will be up. This set is not meant to be offensive, as it is used just to set up screens while passively preventing entry hazards and as well as providing Wish support. Magic Bounce is the obvious ability. The EV spread is used so that this Natu can be flexible when setting up dual screens. 196 Speed is EVs are used so Natu can outspeed many Pokemon and get up screens reliably. 36 EVs are invested into Attack to give U-turn some power, while the rest of the EVs are put into HP and defenses to maximize its Natu's bulk. A Jolly nature is used to raise Speed, while dropping lowering Special Attack. Lastly, it is important to note that If you are using Psychic, you can put the 36 EVs into Special Attack instead of Attack, (remove comma) and use a Timid nature.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Natu in on any status and hazards, but be wary of attacks. Set up dual screens to help teammates tank hits and pass Wishes, and help teammates take hits. Use U-turn to gain momentum when you don't know what your opponent is going to do, to gain momentum. Prediction is very key on this set, so always predict switch-ins. Finally, always switch out of Dark(remove space)-types such as Pawniard, as Natu can't do anything to them.

Team Options
========

Many Pokemon appreciate protection from entry hazards, and Natu works well to mitigate this issue aid in this case for many Pokemon. Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock, as they aren't very bulky. You could use Shell Smash Pokemon such as Omanyte, Dwebble, and Tirtouga can be used as well, because they appreciate dual screens' protection as well as hazard blocking, such as Omantye, Dwebble, and Tirtouga. Natu can also deal with threatening Grass-types (dash) for these Pokemon. Ground-types such as Drilbur can beat problematic Electric-types for Natu. Diglett works especially well as it traps them and can safely KO them. Lastly, Anything that is weak to entry hazards and crippled by status can benefit from Natu's presence.

Other Options
########

Natu has several other options, but they either don't none really fit well into its sets, (remove comma) or are outright outclassed. Shadow Ball can be used to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types, but it is generally better to use Sucker Punch. Tailwind can be used to help Natu's teammates by giving them a free Speed boost. It would also allow Natu to get up screens faster, and it could allow Natu to invest in more bulk. Calm Mind can be used with Roost on a Calm Mind sweeper set, but Natu is generally too frail to pull such a set off. Air Cutter can be used as a secondary STAB move, although it but is weak. Haze can be used on the Eviolite set to stop sweepers in their tracks, but Natu is typically too frail to tank hits before hazing. Toxic can be used as an alternative status to Thunder Wave. Zen Headbutt can be used on a physically based Natu, but its special movepool is much better. Lastly, Feather Dance can be used on defensive Natu to lower opponents' Attack power.

Checks and Counters
########

**Rock-types**: Rock-types such as Dwebble, Tirtouga, and Archen all have a type advantage against and can force Natu to a switch on Natu.

**Ghost-types**: Gastly, Honedge, and Frillish can all KO Natu with a super effective STAB move. They have to be wary of Sucker Punch, however. Additionally, Gastly cannot switch in due to being threatened by Psychic.

**Electric-types**: Magnemite, Chinchou, and Elekid can all KO Natu with their super effective STAB moves. Thunderbolt and Volt Switch severely damage Natu, if not KO it.

**Dark-types**: Pawniard, Houndour, and Vullaby can all safely beat Natu with Knock Off, Sucker Punch, or Dark Pulse. Additionally, Dark-types can Pursuit trap Natu switch, so they pose an especially big threat. Pawniard has to be wary of Heat Wave, and Vullaby has to watch out for Dazzling Gleam, however.

**Bulky Special Walls**: Special walls such as Spritzee, Munchlax, and Lickitung wall Natu pretty hard. Spritzee is able to set up on Natu Calm Mind in Natu's face, Munchlax can aim for a Body Slam paralysis, and Lickitung can cripple Natu with Knock Off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)