Natu (BW2 Revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Primary QC Checks: [2/2]
Secondary QC Check: [1/1]
GP Checks: [2/2]

[Overview]

<p>Natu might seem like just a useless little bird, but he has a myriad of useful traits that warrant his consideration on any team. His Psychic / Flying typing is shared only with Woobat and grants him a quadruple resistance to Fighting-type moves, a dominant force in the metagame. Magic Bounce grants Natu an invaluable way to support his teammates by reflecting back all non-attacking moves, whether they be entry hazards or crippling status conditions like burns and paralysis. All in all, Natu has a great niche that makes him perfect for a supporting role.</p>

[SET]
name: FeatherDance
move 1: FeatherDance
move 2: Roost
move 3: Hidden Power Flying
move 4: U-turn / Toxic
item: Eviolite
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Timid
evs: 200 HP / 80 Def / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set's main goal is to shut down entry hazard setters, such as lead Dwebble and Ferroseed, via Magic Bounce. In fact, the only entry hazard the ability can't reflect is Stealth Rock from Drilbur due to Mold Breaker. Magic Bounce also allows Natu to obliterate Grass-types like Foongus, Shroomish, and Cottonee that rely on support moves. Another perk is that this Natu completely walls parafusion Murkrow, who can otherwise be quite annoying for most teams.</p>

<p>As most hazard setters are physical attackers, FeatherDance is used to allow Natu to render them completely useless and force them to switch out. Roost is for reliable recovery and also temporarily removes Natu's weaknesses to Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks. Hidden Power Flying is a decently powered STAB move that hits all Pokemon in the metagame and allows Natu to score super effective damage on the many Fighting-types that infest Little Cup. U-turn is a great move to capture momentum as your opponent switches out. Toxic, however, can be used to wear down walls like Lileep more effectively.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>196 Speed EVs with a Timid nature are just enough for Natu to outspeed Dwebble and FeatherDance it. The HP EVs maximize his health and overall bulk while the rest go into Defense to allow Natu to take a hit before using FeatherDance.</p>

<p>Although Dwebble is mentioned extensively in this analysis, it should be noted that Natu cannot switch into it unless there is no doubt it is using Stealth Rock, because Rock Blast is almost always a 2HKO even factoring in FeatherDance. However, Natu does beat Dwebble one-on-one. Anorith can also defeat Natu, as with 18 Speed it can attack before Natu uses FeatherDance. In terms of teammates, Magnemite and Chinchou have great defensive synergy with Natu. Natu can take Ground-type attacks aimed at these Pokemon while they absorb Electric-type attacks aimed at Natu. In addition, Natu shrugs off the Fighting attacks aimed at Magnemite while Magnemite doesn't care about a stray Rock-type attack thrown its way. Chinchou resists Ice-type attacks that could dispatch Natu as well. Magnemite and Chinchou can also form a VoltTurn core together, allowing for great momentum. Also, any Pokemon that appreciates a lack of entry hazards on the field, such as Larvesta, greatly appreciates the Magic Bounce support provided by Natu.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Roost
nature: Jolly
evs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you're looking for something to run dual screens, then Natu is your Pokemon. Due to Magic Bounce, the psychic bird is not affected by Taunt and is almost always ensured to set up at least one screen. Screens are the epitome of support, as they reduce the damge Natu and his teammates take from attacks. Roost provides reliable recovery whilst removing Natu's Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type weaknesses for the turn it is used. U-turn allows Natu to gain momentum and hit Dark-types as they switch in, while possibly providing a free turn for a teammate.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Light Clay can be used in lieu of Eviolite to increase the duration of Natu's screens. However, this sacrifices bulk that is greatly needed to set up those screens. The Speed EVs let Natu hit 17 Speed, which lets it tie with Drilbur and outrun Dwebble. The rest go into Natu's defenses to maximize longevity. All setup sweepers greatly appreciates dual screens; Scraggy, Tirtouga, and Pawniard are good candidates for this role. Tirtouga and Shell Smash Dwebble appreciate Natu's ability to keep entry hazards off of the field so that they can set up with Sturdy intact. Pawniard deserves a special mention, as Natu can easily take Fighting-type attacks aimed at Pawniard. Magnemite and Chinchou have great synergy with Natu and establish an effective VoltTurn core.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Wish could be used over Roost on the dual screens yet, but not having Roost can become problematic when Natu is in need of quick healing. He is also capable of running a semi-effective attacking set using some combination of Heat Wave, U-turn, Giga Drain, Trick, Psychic, and Hidden Power Flying with a Choice Scarf attached, but the role of attacking Flying-type is played better by Murkrow. Seriously, if you're thinking about using an attacking Natu, don't; it's really bad. Natu already checks defensive Pokemon like Hippopotas, and you don't want to Trick a Choice Scarf onto something like Misdreavus.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Misdreavus is one of the best counters to Natu, as it takes very little from its attacks. Additionally, offensive Misdreavus can outspeed and kill the dual screens set 100% of the time and the FeatherDance set 75% of the time if you don't switch Natu out. However, Toxic heavily cripples Misdreavus unless it carries Heal Bell, so it has to be careful switching in. Pawniard can set up on FeatherDance Natu thanks to Defiant. Anorith can outspeed and dispatch Natu. Porygon can Trace Magic Bounce and KO with Shadow Ball. Magnemite, Chinchou, and Staryu can all switch into the FeatherDance set. Chinchou is the only one of these three that fears Toxic, but this is only the case if it doesn't carry Heal Bell. However, if they come in on the dual screens set while Light Screen is up, they will have a much harder time obtaining the kill. Murkrow can avoid FeatherDance by using Substitute or just kill it with a Life Orb-boosted Brave Bird. Choice Scarf Snover outspeeds and can kill Natu, but it must not switch into Hidden Power Flying. However, switching anything in on Natu can be completely futile, as U-turn makes him extremely hard to trap and kill.</p>

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For the first set (QC correct me if I'm wrong) I think some things that you put in AC belong in Set Comments. If I was writing the analysis I'd metion the fact that it hard counter Foongus and Shroomish as one of the first things I'd write because that's one of it's main jobs. Also, it doesn't 'shut down' Parafusion Krow at all; yes it reflects Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray which is good, but Murkrow can simply just 2HKO with Brave Bird. I'd also mention that the set is good for beating Mienfoo and Timburr with featherdance as -2 Stone Edge from BulkyFoo only 3HKOs or it can immediately threaten with HPFlying. (Hates Knock Off though) You mentioned how Chinchou can help Natu take on Electric and Ice moves, but I'd mention how Natu helps Chinchou take on Grass-types.

On the Dual Screens set, I don't understand the EVs. Why isn't HP just maximised as that means roost recovers and extra HP? Also the EV explanation should go in AC not Set Comments. Personally I don't think Wish deserves that much of a mention on that set as well, there are better wishers out there. What are anyone's thoughts on this?

Checks and Counters: Murkrow outspeeds and KOs, Porygon beats it with shadow ball and traces Magic Bounce to reflect toxic. Chinchou, Magnemite, Staryu beat you usually, Snover outspeeds and KOs. Mention that Missy hates switching into toxic. It's still one of the best counters though.

Most of these changes to the first set are just stuff that's more detailed and you might find obvious, but I think they should be said anyway. A QCer should probably confirm what I've said for set 1.

You didn't specify a nature on the Dual Screens set! Also, make sure you write out Hidden Power Flying and capitalize U-turn correctly, although that will be more relevant once this is written up.

I don't like Wish at all on Natu, especially instead of Roost because you basically have to use a screen after Wishing if you want to heal (which is a free switch for your opponent). Additionally, you have to waste a turn if you have both screens up already. I get that passing Wish behind a screen is awesome, but Roost is way better imo if you need to heal Natu.

Also we talked about this on IRC Corkscrew but Natu definitely shuts down parafusion Krow if it can come in on anything but Brave Bird, as it can reduce Krow's Attack and then only take about 25% from Brave Bird (so it can Roost it off).

Btw Pawniard has Defiant, not Defeatist haha

@Corkscrew I put your checks & counters in that you mentioned. I would also like to see what a QCer has to say about the other stuff though.

@Charmander Ugh. Thanks for pointing out all my stupid typos man.
I understand your point about Wish, when screens are already set and you need to heal Wish can often be a liabilty, however, Natu is a support poke and Wish better helps it fill this role.

Natu is indeed a support mon, but it won't be able to support its team once it is KOed. Using Roost will keep it alive much longer!

e: I'd say mention it in OO though

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Charmander and Corkscrew covered a lot of things but

On the Dual Screens set, beef up the teammates section a bit. Instead of just saying 'most pokemon enjoy Screens support', mention a few more specifically due to type synergy / setup opportunity etc. Another mention of Chinchou for added bulk would be cool. Or some steel types such as Magnemite or Pawniard, the latter of whom can use the extra bulk to set up.

In the Counters section, mention how U-Turn makes Natu relatively hard to catch and kill, because it can pivot out in the face of its counter. Also mention how Magic Bounce makes it hard to prevent screens from going up because it provides an immunity to Taunt.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
A combination of Trick, Heat Wave, Giga Drain, Psychic, HP Flying, and U-Turn give it some utility.
The astounding 6 move Natu! You probably didn't mean to make it sound that way, but just in case, make sure not to allude something like that in the actual anaylsis.

Yeah basically just do what Electrolyte said, and this will be good.

[qc]1/2[/qc]

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick note, this isn't "Copyediting" yet until it receives its 3rd QC check. So its still "Quality Control" until it is checked. .3.

EDIT: It's totally fine; don't worry about it. The analysis looks nice, you will learn in time. :)

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You may wish to proof read this for a bit before a GP / AM checker comes to check it over. I tried AM checking this, and I noticed a TON of small errors that can make a difference. Here a few examples:

[SET]
FeatherDance
move 4: U-Turn / Toxic
There is a template here that shows you how this should be formatted. Nothing too bad, but it should be "name: FeatherDance". Also, U-turn, not U-Turn.

Hidden Power Flying is decently powered STAB move that hits all pokes in the meta and allows you to score supereffective damage on the many Fighting types infesting Little Cup.
You have no idea how many of those I've seen throughout your analysis. It should be Fighting-type, not Fighting type. Also, don't abbreviate "Pokemon" and "metagame". The sentence itself is structured weird as well.

I know you are new, and for a first time, the language you use throughout this analysis is fantastic, there is actual personality in there, and it's natural those mistakes are there. I suggest reading through this, checking over your analysis, and fixing the grammar. Good luck! :)

EDIT: 300th post. Woo.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEWverview]

<p>Natu mayight seem like just a useless little bird "may" is a vague word -- always replace it with "might" or "can", but he has a myriad of useful traits that warrant his consideration on any team. His Psychic / Flying typing is shared only with Woobat and grants him a 4xquadruple resistance to Fighting-type moves, a dominant force in the metagame. Magic Bounce grants Natu an invaluable way to support his teammates by reflecting back all statusnon-attacking moves, whether they be hazards or crippling burns and pentry hazaralysis. Besides supporting his team, Natu gained some attacking options in the transition to BW2. However, Murkrow far outclasses Natu in the role of offensive Flying-type. All in all, Natu has a great niche that makes him perfect for a supporting role.</p>

feel free to argue with me on removing that last bit but we have been in BW2 for 9 months -- that information is not usually included in the overview and is completely useless

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set'(apostrophe)s main goal is to shut down entry hazard setters like, (AC) such as lead Dwebble and Ferroseed, (AC) via Magic Bounce. In fact, the only entry hazard the ability can't reflect is Stealth Rock from Drilbur due to Mold Breaker. Magic Bounce also allows Natu to obliterate Grass-types like Foongus, Shroomish, and Cottonee that rely on support moves. Another perk is that this Natu completely walls Pparafusion Murkrow, who can otherwise be quite annoying to your team.</p>

<p>As most entry hazard setters are physical attackers, FeatherDance is used to allows Natu to render them completely useless and forces them to switch out. Roost is used for reliable recovery and alsotemporarily removes yourNatu's weaknesses to Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks. never use "you" to refer to a Pokemon -- it only refers to the trainer Hidden Power Flying is a decently poweredful STAB move that hits all Pokemon in the metagame and allows yoNatu to score super effective damage on the many Fighting-types that infesting Little Cup. U-turn is a great move to capture momentum as your opponent switches out. Toxic, however, (AC) can be used to wear down walls like Lileep better.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>196 Speed EVs with a Timid nature are just enough for Natu to outspeed Dwebble and FeatherDance it. The HP EVs maximize his health and overall bulk while the rest go into dDefense to fully utilizallow Natu to take a hit before using FeatherDance.</p>

<p>Although Dwebble is mentioned extensively in this analysis, it should be noted that Natu cannot switch into himit unless you are sure of ait is using Stealth Rock because Rock Blast is almost always a 2HKO with the switcheven factoring in FeatherDance. However, Natu does beat Dwebble 1 v 1one-on-one. Anorith can also killsdefeat Natu, as with 18 Speed it can attackill before theNatu uses FeatherDance. In terms of teammates, Magnemite and Chinchou formhave great defensive synergy with Natu. The birdNatu can takes Ground-type attacks aimed at his electric friends[/b]these Pokemon while they absorb lightning strikeElectric-type attacks aimed at Natu. no cute names for anything -- be direct In addition, Natu shrugs off the Fighting-type attacks aimed at Murkrow and Magnemite doesn't care about a stray Rock-type attack being thrown its way. Chinchou resists Ice-type attacks that could dispatch Natu as well. Both Magnemite and Chinchou formcan also form a VoltTurn core with Natu that is great for momentum. Also, any pPokemon that appreciates noa lack of entry hazards on the field, likesuch as Larvesta, greatly appreciates the Magic Bounce support provided by Natu. (add period)</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you're looking for someonething to run Ddual Sscreens, then Natu is your maPokemon. Due to Magic Bounce, the psychic birdit is unot affected by Tauntable and is almost always ensured to set up at least one screen. Screens are the epitome ofamazing support, as they allowreduce the damage Natu and its teammates take from attake less damage from attacks.cks. epitome has to refer to a person (or summary of a literary work) Reflect and Light Screen are the main moves on the set for obvious reasons. Roost provides reliable recovery whilst removing theNatu's Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type weaknesses. U-turn is for momentum and to[/color allows yo Natu to gain momentum and hit Dark -types onas they switch in while possibly providing a free turn for a teammate.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>It is impossible to prevent Natu from setting up screens unless you kill it first, andLight Clay can be used in lieu of Eviolite allows it to stomach hits. Light Clay, however could be used in order to increase the duration of Natu's screens. The Speed EVs let Natu hit 17 Speed, which lets it tie with Drilbur and outrun Dwebble. The rest go into theNatu's defenses to maximize longevity. AnEvery setup sweeper greatly appreciates Ddual Sscreens;: (colon) some of these include Scraggy, Tirtouga, and Pawniard. Tirtouga and Shell Smash Dwebble appreciate Natu's ability to keep entry hazards off of the field so that they can set their own up with Sturdy intact. Pawniard deserves a special mention, (AC) as his 4xNatu can easily take Fighting weaknes-type attacks ais mitigated by Natu's 4x Fighting resistance. Just as with the FeatherDance set, Magnemite and Chinchou formhave great synergy with Natu and can establish an annoyingeffective VoltTurn core.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Wish could be used over Roost on the Dual Screens yet, but Wishnot having Roost can become problematic when you'reNatu is in need of quick healing. Remember, a dead Natu is a useless Natu. Natu is capable of running a semi-effective attacking set using some combination of Heat Wave, U-turn, Giga Drain, Trick, Psychic, and Hidden Power Flying with a Choice Scarf attached, but the rolle of attacking birdFlying-type is played better by Murkrow. Seriously, if you're thinking about using Aan attackaTing Natu, don't. I&mdash;it's prettally bad. Natu already checks defensive Pokemon like Hippopotas, and you don't want to Trick a Choice Scarf on(remove space)to something like Misdreavus.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Misdreavus is one of the best counters to Natu, (AC) as it takes very little damage from its attacks. Additionally, offensive Misdreavus can outspeeds and kills D the dual Sscreens set 100% of the time and killsthe FeatherDance set 75% of the time if you don't switch Natu out. However, our ghostToxic heavily friend doesn't like switching into Toxiccripples Misdreavus unless it carries Heal Bell, so it has to be careful switching in. Pawniard can set up on FeatherDance Natu thanks to Defiant. Anorith, as said earlier, outspeeds and can dispatches the little green bird Natu. Porygon can Trace Magic Bounce and KO with Shadow Ball. Magnemite, Chinchou, and Staryu can all switch into the FeatherDance set. Chinchou is the only one of these three that fears Toxic, (AC) but this is only the case if it doesn't carry Heal Bell. However, if they come in on the Ddual Sscreens set during awhile Light Screen is up, they will have a much harder time garnerobtaining the kill. Murkrow can avoid FeatherDance by using Substitute or just kill it with a Life Orb-boosted Brave Bird. Snover outspeeds and can kills Natu but must not switch into Hidden Power Flying. However, switching anything in on Natu can be completely futile, as, like Mienfoo, U-turn makes him extremely hard to trap and kill.</p>

There were a couple minor Pokegrammar things, but the biggest issues were the following:

- Word usage: You used a bunch of words wrong. For the most part I specified why with comments, but be sure to avoid that in the future.

- Formality: This was just not written formally at all. While Smogon isn't that strict with formal writing rules, there is a standard that has to be upheld. Using cute names and phrases is strictly prohibited.

Other than that, I strongly suggest expanding on much of this. Your set comments don't really explain much on how the sets work, so I'd fix that, as a start.

Shame That

TAKE IT ALL OR LEAVE IT
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"working on top of" jukain's check

sorry for the formatting here, but im on chrome and dont have access to firefox so working over the check is too hard / i was nitpicking on irc but you werent replying so i just c/ped it here

anyway they're in chronological order so you'll be able to edit them in proofreading the check

italics is what it used to be, red is for removal and bold is for additions / just editing a sentence all together

-SET ONE, SET COMMENTS, PARAGRAPH 2, FIRST SENTENCE

"FeatherDance is used to allows Natu to"

-SET ONE, SET COMMENTS, PARAGRAPH 2, LAST SENTENCE

"Toxic, however, (AC) can be used to wear down walls like Lileep more effectively."

-SET ONCE, AC, PARAGRAPH 2, FIRST SENTENCE

"...unless you are sure it is using Stealth Rock because Rock Blast..."
"unless there is no doubt it is using Stealth Rock, because Rock Blast..."

-SAME PARAGRAPH, THIRD SENTENCE

"Anorith can also defeat Natu"

-SAME PARAGRAPH, FIFTH SENTENCE

"Natu can take Ground-type attacks aimed at these Pokemon"

-SAME PARAGRAPH, SIXTH SENTENCE

"shrugs off the Fighting-type attacks aimed at Murkrow while Magnemite"

-SAME PARAGRAPH, EIGHTH SENTENCE

"Both Magnemite and Chinchou can also form a VoltTurn core with Natu that is great for momentum."
"Magnemite and Chinchou can also form a VoltTurn core together, allowing for great momentum."

-SET TWO, SET COMMENTS, FIRST PARAGRAPH, FIFTH SENTENCE

"Roost provides reliable recovery whilst removing Natu's Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type weaknesses momentarily."

-SAME PARAGRAPH, LAST SENTENCE

"U-turn is used for momentum and to allows Natu to gain momentum and hit Dark-types..."

-SAME SET, AC, FIFTH SENTENCE

"Every setup sweeper greatly appreciates dual screens: some of these include Scraggy, Tirtouga, and Pawniard."
"All setup sweepers greatly appreciates dual screens; Scraggy, Tirtouga, and Pawniard are good candidates for this role."

-OTHER OPTIONS, SENTENCE THREE

with a Choice Scarf attached, but the roll role of attacking

ok, so the main problem i have here is that i should just be nitpicking at an amcheck when i feel like i'm checking the whole analysis again. the analysis itself was, as you described, informal, but it had decent prose all over, and unfortunately i found the main parts i was editing were fixing corrections you had made rather than editing missed errors in the analysis. also, just a heads up: epitome doesn't need to refer to a person or a literary work, it can be anything that is of the highest quality in its class.

so i suppose either jukain can edit these into his check or the OP can edit these in where appropriate when implementing the amcheck, but i consider this

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay I'm just going to reply to Shame That's changes that conflicted with mine:

-SET ONE, SET COMMENTS, PARAGRAPH 2, FIRST SENTENCE

"FeatherDance is used to allows Natu to"
I'll concede that the first version is correct, but the revision isn't incorrect either.
-SET ONCE, AC, PARAGRAPH 2, FIRST SENTENCE

The missing words ("at" and "defeat") were mistakes made by the diff, as the words were there but didn't show up in the post for some reason...

-SET TWO, SET COMMENTS, FIRST PARAGRAPH, FIFTH SENTENCE

"Roost provides reliable recovery whilst removing Natu's Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type weaknesses momentarily."
I'm pretty sure "momentarily" isn't the right word to use there:
merriam-webster definition of moment said:
a : a minute portion or point of time : instant
A turn isn't an instant. You could say "for a turn" or stick with "temporarily" like I suggested, but "momentarily" makes literally no sense to me.

-SAME PARAGRAPH, LAST SENTENCE

"U-turn is used for momentum and to allows Natu to gain momentum and hit Dark-types..."
Either way, but your version is fine.

-SAME SET, AC, FIFTH SENTENCE

"Every setup sweeper greatly appreciates dual screens: some of these include Scraggy, Tirtouga, and Pawniard."
"All setup sweepers greatly appreciates dual screens; Scraggy, Tirtouga, and Pawniard are good candidates for this role."
First of all, your revision has an error; it should be "All setup sweepers greatly appreciate dual screens..." Other than that, I don't see how the meanings of the two revisions differ; they both encompass "all" or "every" setup sweeper and say that they appreciate dual screens while providing examples.
Ultimately, you're on the GP team and I'm not, and that's what it comes down to on some of these rewordings, but I don't think all of the things you changed over my changes necessarily needed to be changed.

Sorry Shame That I must have been afk. I 've been studying for all my finals and AP Tests so I've been kind of busy.

So, basically, I should implement Jukain's check with your corrections?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Natu might seem like just a useless little bird, but he has a myriad of useful traits that warrant his consideration on any team. His Psychic / Flying typing is shared only with Woobat and grants him a quadruple resistance to Fighting-type moves, a dominant force in the metagame. Magic Bounce grants Natu an invaluable way to support his teammates by reflecting back all non-attacking moves, whether they be entry hazards or crippling status conditions like burns and paralysis. All in all, Natu has a great niche that makes him perfect for a supporting role.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set's main goal is to shut down entry hazard setters, such as lead Dwebble and Ferroseed, via Magic Bounce. In fact, the only entry hazard the ability can't reflect is Stealth Rock from Drilbur due to Mold Breaker. Magic Bounce also allows Natu to obliterate Grass-types like Foongus, Shroomish, and Cottonee that rely on support moves. Another perk is that this Natu completely walls parafusion Murkrow, who can otherwise be quite annoying for most teams.</p>

<p>As most hazard setters are physical attackers, FeatherDance is used to allow Natu to render them completely useless and force them to switch out. Roost is for reliable recovery and also temporarily removes your Natu's weaknesses to Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks. Hidden Power Flying is a decently powered STAB move that hits all Pokemon in the metagame and allows Natu to score super effective damage on the many Fighting-types that infest Little Cup. U-turn is a great move to capture momentum as your opponent switches out. Toxic, however, can be used to wear down walls like Lileep more effectively.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>196 Speed EVs with a Timid nature are just enough for Natu to outspeed Dwebble and FeatherDance it. The HP EVs maximize his health and overall bulk while the rest go into Defense to allow Natu to take a hit before using FeatherDance.</p>

<p>Although Dwebble is mentioned extensively in this analysis, it should be noted that Natu cannot switch into it unless there is no doubt it is using Stealth Rock, because Rock Blast is almost always a 2HKO even factoring in FeatherDance. However, Natu does beat Dwebble one-on-one. Anorith can also defeat Natu, as with 18 Speed it can attack before Natu uses FeatherDance. In terms of teammates, Magnemite and Chinchou have great defensive synergy with Natu. Natu can take Ground-type attacks aimed at these Pokemon while they can absorb Electric-type attacks aimed at Natu. In addition, Natu shrugs off the Fighting attacks aimed at Magnemite while Magnemite doesn't care about a stray Rock-type attack thrown its way. Chinchou resists Ice-type attacks that could dispatch Natu as well. Magnemite and Chinchou can also form a VoltTurn core together, allowing for great momentum. Also, any Pokemon that appreciates a lack of entry hazards on the field, such as Larvesta, greatly appreciates the Magic Bounce support provided by Natu.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you're looking for something to run dual screens, then Natu is your Pokemon. Due to Magic Bounce, the psychic bird is not affected by Taunt and is almost always ensured to set up at least one screen. Screens are the epitome of support, as they reduce th damage Natu and his teammates take from attacks. Reflect and Light Screen are the main moves on the set for obvious reasons. Roost provides reliable recovery whilst removing Natu's Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type weaknesses for the turn it is used. U-turn allows Natu to gain momentum and hit Dark-types as they switch in, while possibly providing a free turn for a teammate.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Light Clay can be used in lieu of Eviolite to increase the duration of Natu's screens. However, this sacrifices bulk that is greatly needed to set up those screens. The Speed EVs let Natu hit 17 Speed, which lets it tie with Drilbur and outrun Dwebble. The rest go into Natu's defenses to maximize longevity. All setup sweepers greatly appreciates dual screens; Scraggy, Tirtouga, and Pawniard are good candidates for this role. Tirtouga and Shell Smash Dwebble appreciate Natu's ability to keep entry hazards off of the field so that they can set up with Sturdy intact. Pawniard deserves a special mention, as Natu can easily take Fighting-type attacks aimed at Pawniard. Just as with the FeatherDance set, Magnemite and Chinchou have great synergy with Natu and establish an effective VoltTurn core.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Wish could be used over Roost on the dual screens set, but not having Roost can become problematic when Natu is in need of quick healing. Remember, a dead Natu is a useless Natu. He is also capable of running a semi-effective attacking set using some combination of Heat Wave, U-turn, Giga Drain, Trick, Psychic, and Hidden Power Flying with a Choice Scarf attached, but the role of attacking Flying-type is played better by Murkrow. Seriously, if you're thinking about using an attacking Natu, don't; it's really bad. Natu already checks defensive Pokemon like Hippopotas, and you don't want to Trick a Choice Scarf onto something like Misdreavus.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Misdreavus is one of the best counters to Natu, as it takes very little from its attacks. Additionally, offensive Misdreavus can outspeed and kill the dual screens set 100% of the time and the FeatherDance set 75% of the time if you don't switch Natu out. However, Toxic heavily cripples Misdreavus unless it carries Heal Bell, so it has to be careful switching in. Pawniard can set up on FeatherDance Natu thanks to Defiant. Anorith, as said earlier, can outspeed and dispatch the Natu. Porygon can Trace Magic Bounce and KO with Shadow Ball. Magnemite, Chinchou, and Staryu can all switch into the FeatherDance set. Chinchou is the only one of these three that fears Toxic, but this is only the case if it doesn't carry Heal Bell. However, if they come in on the dual screens set while Light Screen is up, they will have a much harder time obtaining the kill. Murkrow can avoid FeatherDance by using Substitute or just kill it with a Life Orb-boosted Brave Bird. Choice Scarf Snover outspeeds and can kill Natu, but it must not switch into Hidden Power Flying. However, switching anything in on Natu can be completely futile, as, like Mienfoo, U-turn makes him extremely hard to trap and kill.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)