Natu

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC: Raiza / TONE114 / Anty
GP: Weebl / P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

Natu is PU's only Magic Bounce user and can bounce back entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock, and status moves, such as Taunt. Natu's nice support movepool, which includes reliable recovery in Roost, momentum with U-turn, and Thunder Wave to slow down foes, makes it a great teammate on hazard-weak teams. However, its Psychic typing makes it vulnerable to Knock Off users such as Pawniard, as it relies on its Eviolite for bulk. Its Flying typing gives it a weakness to common Stealth Rock users, such as Golem and Probopass. Natu is also vulnerable to special attackers, such as Raichu and Zebstrika, because of its poor special bulk even with Eviolite. Natu is also unable to utilize an attacking set due to its mediocre attacking stats.

[SET]
name: Magic Bounce
move 1: Psychic
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Roost
item: Eviolite
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psychic hits Fighting- and Poison-types, such as Poliwrath, Arbok, and Roselia, for super effective damage. Alternatively, Night Shade deals more damage to Roselia and has a fixed damage output. U-turn lets Natu both gain momentum and switch out of an unfavorable matchup. Thunder Wave slows down foes so they are easier to KO. Roost provides reliable recovery and allows Natu to perform as a decent pivot.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Bold nature maximizes Natu's physical bulk and minimizes the damage taken from Stealth Rock, giving it a better chance against Stealth Rock users, such as Golem and Carracosta. An Eviolite is chosen to provide Natu with extra bulk and allow it to be a successful pivot. Magic Bounce bounces back status moves, such as Taunt, and entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock. Natu could run a specially defensive spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD to take on Roselia better.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Natu in on entry hazard leads in order to bounce back entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock and Spikes. Natu should focus on using Thunder Wave early-game in order to cripple foes. Use U-turn on predicted switches in order to get a favorable matchup. If Natu is worn down, use Roost to keep it healthy. Switch Natu into a predicted Taunt or into other status moves, such as Toxic.

Team Options
========

Natu is best used on teams that have Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon but cannot afford to use a Rapid Spin or Defog user. Shedinja also appreciates Natu's ability to block Stealth Rock, as it gets to switch in. Natu forms a nice VoltTurn core with slow Pokemon such as Probopass, as Natu can prevent Stealth Rock from being set up on the battlefield, while Probopass traps Steel-types and sets up Stealth Rock in turn. Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, can handle a Knock Off and take Rock-type attacks, while Natu provides Thunder Wave and Magic Bounce support. Dark-types, such as Pawniard, can take care of Ghost-types, while Natu threatens Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, although it dislikes Machoke's Knock Off. Revenge killers, such as Dodrio and Mr. Mime, outspeed many threats to Natu and benefit from Magic Bounce, as they are easily worn down. Ground-types, such as Stunfisk and Torterra, take care of Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika and prevent the opponent from freely gaining momentum with Volt Switch. Pokemon that hate status, such as Torterra and Fraxure, appreciate Magic Bounce support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Alternatively, Natu could run Toxic to cripple specially defensive walls such as Grumpig and Lickilicky. Haze prevents Natu from being complete setup fodder for setup sweepers, such as Nasty Plot Ninetales and Swords Dance Jumpluff. Tailwind + U-turn could be used to let slow wallbreakers, such as Torterra and Stoutland, outspeed their foes. Hidden Power Fighting allows Natu to KO Pawniard, while Grass Knot combined with 56 Speed EVs allows Natu to outspeed and KO Golem after Stealth Rock damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Zebstrika and Raichu, can easily outspeed and KO Natu with Thunderbolt. Futhermore, they are immune to Thunder Wave, stopping Natu from freely spreading paralysis. They also can gain momentum with Volt Switch.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types can deal tons of damage to Natu with Stone Edge. In particular, Golem is immune to Thunder Wave and Rampardos can set up Stealth Rock against Natu thanks to Mold Breaker, which ignores Magic Bounce.

**Dark-types**: Natu is unable to touch Dark-types such as Pawniard and Mightyena. Pawniard can threaten Natu by using Knock Off to get rid of its Eviolite, making it easier to KO; using Pursuit when predicting a switch; or by freely setting up a Swords Dance.

**Ghost-types**: Although they have to be wary of Taunt due to Magic Bounce, Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Dusknoir can hit Natu with their super effective moves. The former can set up a Nasty Plot, while the latter can Pursuit trap Natu.

**Steel-types**: Natu cannot do much to Steel-types such as Klang and Probopass. Klang has Rest to heal off paralysis from hunder Wave and can set up Shift Gear, while Probopass has Power Gem to take care of Natu.

**Strong Attackers**: Strong attackers, such as Simipour, Chatot, and Stoutland, can deal massive damage to Natu, but most of them hate being crippled by Thunder Wave on the switch in. If Natu predicts wrongly and switches into one of their attacks, it will likely be KOed, due to its poor bulk.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Include Shedinja in TO.
Specially Defensive in OO.
Don't just include Knock Off in C&C, include Dark-types in general.
Add Ice-types to C&C
Add Taunt to C&C
Explain why it runs Physical Defense over Special Defense.
State how it's outclassed by mainly Togetic, and possibly Grumpig.
Get rid of Trick + Choice Scarf in OO as it needs Eviolite to be semi viable.
Add Toxic in OO. In addition maybe list Hidden Power Fighting for Pawniard?
When you mention Voltturn core in TO, use Probopass>Raichu as they form a slow Voltturn core and compliment each other extremely well. (Maybe add something about how well they work together).

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Include Shedinja in TO.
Specially Defensive in OO.
Don't just include Knock Off in C&C, include Dark-types in general.
Add Ice-types to C&C
Add Taunt to C&C
Explain why it runs Physical Defense over Special Defense.
State how it's outclassed by mainly Togetic, and possibly Grumpig.
Get rid of Trick + Choice Scarf in OO as it needs Eviolite to be semi viable.
Add Toxic in OO. In addition maybe list Hidden Power Fighting for Pawniard?
When you mention Voltturn core in TO, use Probopass>Raichu as they form a slow Voltturn core and compliment each other extremely well. (Maybe add something about how well they work together).
added everything except Taunt (Natu isn't affected by Taunt cause Magic Bounce) and I'm not sure about Ice-types. Also added a few extra things I didnt add previously

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The spread should be specially defensive to better switch into Roselia. I don't think Natu beats any of the physically based entry hazard setters anyway outside of like Quilladin.

I will do a full check later.

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
I just wanted to get some calcs to see whether Specially defensive or Physically defensive Natu is better:

252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Natu: 102-121 (36 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Natu: 169-199 (59.7 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(turns 2hko into 3hko)

252+ Atk Golem Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Natu: 324-384 (114.4 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Golem Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Natu: 198-240 (69.9 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Piloswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Natu: 180-216 (63.6 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Piloswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Natu: 288-342 (101.7 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Carracosta Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Natu: 218-258 (77 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Carracosta Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Natu: 134-158 (47.3 - 55.8%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Natu: 354-416 (125 - 146.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Natu: 216-254 (76.3 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO'

(turns ohko into 2hko)

natu can't do much to these entry hazard setters anyway

Natu @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 140 HP / 152 SpA / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

I found this to be the best EV Spread because:

252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 140 HP / 216+ SpD Eviolite Natu: 108-127 (42.1 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This allows Natu to survive 3 Sludge Bombs from Roselia

152 SpA Natu Psychic vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Roselia: 144-170 (51.2 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This allows Natu to 2HKO Roselia with Psychic

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Offensive investment is a complete waste on natu and 2HKOing offensive rose isnt worth it when defensive rose is more relevant. I also disagree w/ def being better as it can allow you to beat some stronger rockers like pilo (as your calcs state). An interesting option could be grass knot + 56 speed for golem (or even reflect + that speed to also help w/ most hazard setters), though i think oo is fine for that. So IMO the set is fine like that :3

In the overview i dont think you should state what its niche is over togetic and pelipper as well as it being partially ineffective as most rock setters have a type advantage over it, and also in team options you should specifically say only use natu on teams which are heavily hazard weak + dont want a defogger/spinner due to rock weakness + being unreliable

rubsomebacononit

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive investment is a complete waste on natu and 2HKOing offensive rose isnt worth it when defensive rose is more relevant. I also disagree w/ def being better as it can allow you to beat some stronger rockers like pilo (as your calcs state). An interesting option could be grass knot + 56 speed for golem (or even reflect + that speed to also help w/ most hazard setters), though i think oo is fine for that. So IMO the set is fine like that :3

In the overview i dont think you should state what its niche is over togetic and pelipper as well as it being partially ineffective as most rock setters have a type advantage over it, and also in team options you should specifically say only use natu on teams which are heavily hazard weak + dont want a defogger/spinner due to rock weakness + being unreliable

rubsomebacononit
ok changed

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
[OVERVIEW]
magic bounce also prevents this from getting hit by status moves and taunt
flying-type also makes it struggle against electric-types
mention why it is hard to switch in on most attackers (poor typing) and that it is frail on the sp def side
mention that even if frail this has access to reliable recovery
mention access to eviolite can make its bulk up a bit
mention it can't perform offensive sets bc of its terrible offensive stats

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
psychic also hits poison types hard
roost doesn't ''have'' recovery, more like provides reliable recover to natu and allows it to be a decent pivot

Set Details
========
natu still loses against setters you mentioned, mention some it actually wins 1v1 against such as piloswine
mguard also bounces taunt and hazards

Usage Tips
========
this shouldn't switch especially on special attackers as it doesnt run investment in sp def
this could switch on predicted status moves and taunt too
when against dark-types, natu should be weary about hard switching out, as ones such as pawniard can pursuit trap it
psychic shouldnt be used a lot especially when the opponent carries a dark-type
a dark-type switch in can be predicted by using u-turn to gain momentum

Team Options
========
Pokemon that are also crippled by status moves are good mates for natu

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
elaborate on these

Checks and Counters
===================
electric-types can gain momentum on a forced natu switch w volt switch

in rock-types replace probopass with something like carracosta as you already mention probo in steel-types

in ghost-types mention dusknoir, as it can also pursuit trap it

rename strong and fast attackers into Strong Special Attackers. mention most of them hate being crippled by twave so they prefer to not switch on natu.

rubsomebacononit QC 1/3

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
magic bounce also prevents this from getting hit by status moves and taunt
flying-type also makes it struggle against electric-types
mention why it is hard to switch in on most attackers (poor typing) and that it is frail on the sp def side
mention that even if frail this has access to reliable recovery
mention access to eviolite can make its bulk up a bit
mention it can't perform offensive sets bc of its terrible offensive stats

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
psychic also hits poison types hard
roost doesn't ''have'' recovery, more like provides reliable recover to natu and allows it to be a decent pivot

Set Details
========
natu still loses against setters you mentioned, mention some it actually wins 1v1 against such as piloswine
mguard also bounces taunt and hazards

Usage Tips
========
this shouldn't switch especially on special attackers as it doesnt run investment in sp def
this could switch on predicted status moves and taunt too
when against dark-types, natu should be weary about hard switching out, as ones such as pawniard can pursuit trap it
psychic shouldnt be used a lot especially when the opponent carries a dark-type
a dark-type switch in can be predicted by using u-turn to gain momentum

Team Options
========
Pokemon that are also crippled by status moves are good mates for natu

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
elaborate on these

Checks and Counters
===================
electric-types can gain momentum on a forced natu switch w volt switch

in rock-types replace probopass with something like carracosta as you already mention probo in steel-types

in ghost-types mention dusknoir, as it can also pursuit trap it

rename strong and fast attackers into Strong Special Attackers. mention most of them hate being crippled by twave so they prefer to not switch on natu.

rubsomebacononit QC 1/3
alright thanks. I will elaborate on the OO in the write up. Ready for the 2nd check

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A mention could be made about indirect status in Checks and Counters (ex: Scald Burns, Sludge Bomb Poisons, Discharge Paralysis), but it isn't entirely neccessary as you're better off attacking Natu.

2/3.

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
A mention could be made about indirect status in Checks and Counters (ex: Scald Burns, Sludge Bomb Poisons, Discharge Paralysis), but it isn't entirely neccessary as you're better off attacking Natu.

2/3.
Thanks. I will write this.

Edit: This is written.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think in the overview you should mention (when talking about its bad matchup w/ stealth rock users) that just by being there makes the opp much less likely to try and set up hazards

Night shade deserves a mention in moves imo as vs some roselia you actually do more damage than psychic (just shows how weak this thing is)

You can mention a sdef spread in set details as it isnt that bad vs rose

UT: dont mention pursuit trappers as it doesnt really affect how you would play it (if you are against a pawn knock off is much more threatening as not many pawn actually run pursuit, whereas 100% should run knock)

oo: 'while Grass Knot combined with 5 allows Natu to outspeed and KO Golem if Stealth Rock is on the field.' - i guess u must of missed typed?

c&c: In rock types mention mold breaker rampardos
You can call strong special attackers just 'Strong Attackers' as mons like ursa and stout still screw it over

3/3

rubsomebacononit

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
rubsomebacononit
[OVERVIEW]

Natu is PU's the only user of Magic Bounce user in the tier, allowing it and can to bounce back entry hazards, (AC) such as Stealth Rock, and status moves, such as Taunt. Natu's nice support movepool, which includes reliable recovery in Roost, momentum with U-turn, and Thunder Wave to slow down foes, (AC) makes it a great teammate on hazard-(add hyphen)weak teams. However, its Psychic typing makes it vulnerable to Knock Off users such as Pawniard, as it relies on its Eviolite for bulk. Its Flying-(remove hyphen)typing gives it a weakness to common Stealth Rock users, such as Golem and Probopass, making the opponent less likely to set up Stealth Rock. (what?) Natu is also vulnerable to special attackers, such as Raichu and Zebstrika, because of its poor special bulk even with Eviolite. Natu is also unable to perform utilize an attacking set, (AC) due to its mediocre attacking stats.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psychic is Natu's main attack, which hits Poison- and Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, Arbok, and Roselia, for super effective damage. Natu could run An alternative, (AC) Night Shade over Psychic to deals more damage to Roselia and has a fixed amount of damage output. U-turn lets Natu both gain momentum and switch out of an unfavorable matchup has momentum and allows Natu to switch out if it is put in an unfavourable matchup. Thunder Wave slows down foes so they are easier to KO. Roost has provides reliable recovery and allows Natu to perform as a decent pivot.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD and a Bold Nature maximiszes Natu's physical bulk and minimizes the damage taken allow it to take minimum damage from Stealth Rock, giving it a better chance against Stealth Rock users, such as Golem and Carracosta. An Eviolite is chosen to provide Natu with extra bulk and allow it to be a successful pivot. Magic Bounce bounces back status moves off Natu, such as Taunt, and entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock. Natu could run a specially defensive spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD to take on Roselia better.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent has sent in a lead to set up entry hazards such as Stealth Rock or Spikes, predict this and switch Natu in. Switch Natu into entry hazard leads. Natu should focus on using Thunder Wave early-(add hyphen)game in order to cripple foes. If the opponent is switching out into a Dark-type, predict this and switch Natu out with U-turn Use U-turn on predicted switches, especially on those into Pokemon hit super effectively by Bug. If Natu is worn down by strong attackers, use Roost to keep it healthy in order for it to last longer on the battlefield. Switch in Natu on into a predicted Taunt or on a other status move, such as Toxic.

Team Options
========

You would only use Natu on a team if you have teammates weak to Stealth Rock, such as Ninetales, and can't afford to have a Rapid Spin user or a Defogger Natu is best used on teams that have Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon but cannot afford to use a Rapid Spin or Defog user. Shedinja also appreciates Natu's ability to block Stealth Rock, as it gets to switch in. Natu forms a nice VoltTurn core with slow Pokemon such as Probopass, as Natu can prevent Stealth Rock from being set up on the battlefield, while Probopass traps Steel-types for it and sets up Stealth Rock in turn. Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, can handle a Knock Off and take Rock-type attacks, while Natu provides Thunder Wave and Magic Bounce support. Dark-types, such as Pawniard, can take care of Ghost-types, while Natu takes care of Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, although it dislikes Machoke's Knock Off. Revenge killers, such as Dodrio and Mr. Mime, outspeed Natu's threats many threats to Natu, (RC) and benefit from Magic Bounce, as they are easily worn down. Ground-types, such as Stunfisk and Torterra, take care of Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika, (RC) and prevent the opponent from freely gaining momentum with Volt Switch momentum. Pokemon that hate status, such as Torterra and Fraxure, make for good partners, as they appreciate Magic Bounce support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Alternatively, Natu could run Toxic to cripple specially defensive walls, (RC) such as Grumpig and Lickilicky. Haze prevents Natu from being complete setup fogger fodder for setup sweepers, such as Nasty Plot Ninetales and Swords Dance Jumpluff. Tailwind + combined with U-turn could be used to let for slow wallbreakers, such as Torterra and Stoutland, to allow them to outspeed their foes. Hidden Power Fighting allows Natu to KO Pawniard, while Grass Knot combined with 56 Speed EVs allows Natu to outspeed and KO Golem after Stealth Rock damage if Stealth Rock is on the field.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Zebstrika and Raichu, can easily outspeed and can KO Natu with Thunderbolt. Furthermore In addition to this, they are immune to Thunder Wave, so they can predict a Thunder Wave on the switch, or can Volt Switch into another teammate to gain momentum, stopping Natu from freely spreading paralysis. They can also gain momentum with Volt Switch.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types, such as Golem and Rampardos, can deal tons of damage to Natu with a super effective move Stone Edge. The former In particular, Golem is immune has an immunity to Thunder Wave, (AC) and the latter Rampardos can set up Stealth Rock against Natu without worrying about Magic Bounce thanks to Mold Breaker, which ignores Magic Bounce.

**Dark-types**: Natu is unable to touch Dark-types such as Pawniard and Mightyena. Pawniard especially has Knock Off to can especially threaten Natu by removing Knocking Off its Eviolite, making it easier to KO, or use using Pursuit to when predicting that Natu will a switch, (AC) or by freely setting up or use the free turn to set up a Swords Dance.

**Ghost-types**: Although they have to be wary of Taunting, due to Magic Bounce, Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Dusknoir can hit Natu with their super effective moves. The former can set up a Nasty Plot, (AC) while the latter can Pursuit trap Natu.

**Steel-types**: Natu cannot do much to Steel-types such as Klang and Probopass. Klang has Rest to heal Thunder Wave and can set up Shift Gear, while Probopass has Power Gem to take care of Natu.

**Strong Attackers**: Strong attackers, such as Simipour, Chatot, (AC) and Stoutland, can deal massive damage to Natu, but most of them hate being crippled by Thunder Wave on the switch in. If Natu predicts wrongly and switches into one of their attacks the attack, it will likely be KO'd KOed, (AC) due to its poor bulk.
GP 1/2

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2 :)
[OVERVIEW]

Natu is PU's only Magic Bounce user and can bounce back entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock, and status moves, such as Taunt. Natu's nice support movepool, which includes reliable recovery in Roost, momentum with U-turn, and Thunder Wave to slow down foes, makes it a great teammate on hazard-weak teams. However, its Psychic typing makes it vulnerable to Knock Off users such as Pawniard, as it relies on its Eviolite for bulk. Its Flying typing gives it a weakness to common Stealth Rock users, such as Golem and Probopass. Natu is also vulnerable to special attackers, such as Raichu and Zebstrika, because of its poor special bulk even with Eviolite. Natu is also unable to utilize an attacking set, (not feeling this comma) due to its mediocre attacking stats.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psychic hits Fighting- and Poison-types, Poison- and Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, Arbok, and Roselia, for super effective damage. Alternatively, Night Shade deals more damage to Roselia and has a fixed damage output. U-turn lets Natu both gain momentum and switch out of an unfavorable matchup. Thunder Wave slows down foes so they are easier to KO. Roost provides reliable recovery and allows Natu to perform as a decent pivot.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD and with a Bold nature maximizes Natu's physical bulk and minimizes the damage taken from Stealth Rock, giving it a better chance against Stealth Rock users, such as Golem and Carracosta. An Eviolite is chosen to provide Natu with extra bulk and allow it to be a successful pivot. Magic Bounce bounces back status moves, such as Taunt, and entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock. Natu could run a specially defensive spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD to take on Roselia better.

Usage Tips
========

Switch Natu in on entry hazard leads in order to bounce back entry hazards, such as Stealth Rock and Spikes. Natu should focus on using Thunder Wave early-game in order to cripple foes. Use U-turn on predicted switches in order to get a favorable matchup. If Natu is worn down, use Roost to keep it healthy. Switch Natu into a predicted Taunt or into other status moves, such as Toxic.

Team Options
========

Natu is best used on teams that have Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon but cannot afford to use a Rapid Spin or Defog user. Shedinja also appreciates Natu's ability to block Stealth Rock, as it then gets to switch in without immediately fainting. (my additions there aren't required) Natu forms a nice VoltTurn core with slow Pokemon such as Probopass, as Natu can prevent Stealth Rock from being set up on the battlefield, while Probopass traps Steel-types and sets up Stealth Rock in turn. Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, can handle a Knock Off and take Rock-type attacks, while Natu provides Thunder Wave and Magic Bounce support. Dark-types, such as Pawniard, can take care of Ghost-types, while Natu takes care of Fighting-types, such as Poliwrath, although it dislikes Machoke's Knock Off. Revenge killers, such as Dodrio and Mr. Mime, outspeed many threats to Natu and benefit from Magic Bounce, as they are easily worn down. Ground-types, such as Stunfisk and Torterra, take care of Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika and prevent the opponent from freely gaining momentum with Volt Switch. Pokemon that hate status, such as Torterra and Fraxure, (comma) appreciate Magic Bounce support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Alternatively, Natu could run Toxic to cripple specially defensive walls such as Grumpig and Lickilicky. Haze prevents Natu from being complete setup fodder for setup sweepers, such as Nasty Plot Ninetales and Swords Dance Jumpluff. Tailwind + U-turn could be used to let slow wallbreakers, such as Torterra and Stoutland, outspeed their foes. Hidden Power Fighting allows Natu to KO Pawniard, while Grass Knot combined with 56 Speed EVs allows Natu to outspeed and KO Golem after Stealth Rock damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Zebstrika and Raichu, (remove commas) can easily outspeed and KO Natu with Thunderbolt. Futhermore, they are immune to Thunder Wave, stopping Natu from freely spreading paralysis. They also can gain momentum with Volt Switch.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types can deal tons of damage to Natu with Stone Edge. In particular, Golem is immune to Thunder Wave and Rampardos can set up Stealth Rock against Natu thanks to Mold Breaker, which ignores Magic Bounce.

**Dark-types**: Natu is unable to touch Dark-types such as Pawniard and Mightyena. Pawniard can threaten Natu by using Knock Off to get rid of Knocking Off its Eviolite, making it easier to KO,; (semicolon) using Pursuit when predicting a switch,; (semicolon) or by freely setting up a Swords Dance.

**Ghost-types**: Although they have to be wary of Taunting due to Magic Bounce, Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Dusknoir can hit Natu with their super effective moves. The former can set up a Nasty Plot, while the latter can Pursuit trap Natu.

**Steel-types**: Natu cannot do much to Steel-types such as Klang and Probopass. Klang has Rest to heal off paralysis from Thunder Wave and can set up Shift Gear, while Probopass has Power Gem to take care of Natu.

**Strong Attackers**: Strong attackers, such as Simipour, Chatot, and Stoutland, can deal massive damage to Natu, but most of them hate being crippled by Thunder Wave on the switch in. If Natu predicts wrongly and switches into one of their attacks, it will likely be KOed, due to its poor bulk.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
P Squared
Natu is also unable to utilize an attacking set,(not feeling this comma) due to its mediocre attacking stats.
I added this comma because it was necessary--it clears up ambiguity. Here's an example: "I did not run, because I was afraid." The meaning of this sentence is clear: My fear caused me to stay put and not run. However, remove the comma from the sentence, which you did, and you have a possibly different, definitely more ambiguous, meaning: "I did not run because I was afraid." Here, the sentence can be taken to mean the same as the first, in that I did not actually run; however, it can also mean that I did run, just for a reason other than my fear. This sentence implies an elaboration along the lines of: "I did not run because I was afraid; I ran because it was the only thing I knew how to do." This meaning could also be written unambiguously as: "I ran not because I was afraid (but because)..." Essentially, you introduce ambiguity and error by removing that comma. In this scenario, "Natu is unable" basically means the same as "Natu is not able," so you can relate it directly to the above examples.

Another way of explaining it is as a restrictive clause vs. nonrestrictive clause thing. As you know, a nonrestrictive clause provides "unnecessary," or extra, information. The "due to its mediocre attacking stats" is the nonrestrictive clause. It just elaborates by providing extra information. We know that Natu can't run an attacking set. Why? Because of its poor attacking stats.

I hope I've made myself clear. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)