move 4: Thunder Wave / Heat Wave
item: Eviolite
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Bold
evs: 196 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 76 SpD / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
*Psychic is a powerful Stab atttack, and supereffectively hits many Toxic Spike setters and Fighting types, such as Trubbish and Mienfoo.
*Heat Wave badly damage the likes of Steel types such as Ferroseed, Pawniard and A-Sandshrew
*Thunder Wave is great for crippling offensive switch-ins like Pawniard, allowing them to be outsped by Natu
*U-Turn is for switching out and doing chip damage to Pokemon that would switch into Natu, such as A-Grimer and Pawniard
*Roost is for constant health recovery, which is in regards to to longevity

Set Details
========
*Magic Bounce sends status moves back at the user, which makes Natu excellent at blocking hazard setters
*EVs for added bulk and +Def Nature in Bold are beneficial vs. the many physical attackers Natu needs to resist to do its job, such as the omnipresent Pawniard
*Magic Bounce can styme status moves that can cripple your team otherwise
*Eviolite allows for added bulk; it also synergizes well with the recovery that Roost provides

Usage Tips
========
*Natu is best switched into either hazard-setters or status-spreaders in order to bounce back aphormentioned moves

Team Options
========
*Diglett traps Rock and Electric types that harass Natu and can cleanly OHKO them
*Chinchou is immune to Electric type and resists Ice type attacks. It can also hit Vullaby with Volt Switch
*Most Fighting types appreciate the burn protection that Natu provides, and can hammer Steel and Dark types for Natu in return
*Mudbray can tanks many physical attacks that harm Natu, and can perform a role similar to Diglett in return

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: U-Turn
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
evs: 116 Atk / 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
*Psychic is Natu's main STAB attack, supereffectively hitting the multitude of Fighting types in the tier
*Sucker Punch has a large surprise factor, and can be used to pick off KOs on weakened Choice Scarf Pokemon
*U-Turn is helpful for gaining team momentum and switching out of scenarios against bulky Pokemon that Natu cannot break
*Heat Wave badly damages the likes of Ferroseed and Pawniard along with Ice types such as A-Sandshrew

Set Details
========
*Magic Bounce not only protects Natu from harmful status conditions such as paralysis and burn, but can also bounce back stat-lowering moves
*Life Orb gives Natu a surprising amount of power, and can catch the opponent off guard if they expect the bulky entry hazard preventing set instead

Usage Tips
========
*Natu can be switched into a resisted attack, and can then be used as a cleaner of Pokemon its teammates are weak to

Team Options
========
*Diglett traps Rock and Electric types that harass Natu and can cleanly OHKO them
*Spritzee can tank Dark type attacks and can also heal Natu with Wish
*Most Fighting types appreciate the burn protection that Natu provides, and can hammer Steel and Dark types for Natu in return

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
*Natu can be an excellent dual screens setter with Light Clay, although A-Vulpix can do just as good a job with Aurora Veil, as long as hail is not a detriment to your team
*Forcing a switch with Natu allows you to get off a free Roost, but beware of Pursuit trappers switching in
*A bulky attacking set with Psychic, U-turn, Roost and Thunder or Heat Wave is good, but can be performed better by other special attackers

Checks and Counters
===================
**Electric Types**: Volt Absorb allows Chinchou to heal from a Thunder Wave, and it is generally bulky enough to swallow a Psychic or resisted Heat Wave and retaliate with Volt Switch or Ice Beam. Other Electric types can also be problematic for Natu, although Magnemite dislikes Heat Wave.
**Dark Types**: Although Pawniard hates both Thunder and Heat Wave, it can easily KO Natu with Knock Off or Sucker Punch, and even set up Stealth Rocks afterward. A-Grimer is also an excellent counter to Natu, as it is bulky and can easily fire off Knock Offs.
**Ghost Types**: Unless Natu carries the rare Sucker Punch or Shadow Ball, offensive Ghost types such as Gastly and Z-Trick or Treat Pumpkaboo-S can wreak havoc on Natu.
**Offensive Ice Types/Attackers**: Shellder and A-Sandshrew can easily OHKO Natu after it sets up and in hail, respectively. Hail helps mitigate this weakness, however.
**Special Walls**: Many special walls, in addition to being able to tank almost all hits from Natu, typically have physical coverage to exploit Natu's frailty, such as Body Slam on Munchlax.
**Rock Types**: Many Rock types are physical, and as such can damage Natu heavily. Rock type Shell Smashers such as Omanyte are particularly troublesome as they can set up Shell Smash with full defenses due to their low base Speed, and then easily KO Natu the next turn.

Last edited:
Question for the good people in QC:
Before I finish up, I understand that Natu is reasonably fast. However, for the BP set, would it be more viable to have a -Spe, +Def Nature and turn it into a slow-passer? This is just clarification for set-building.

Hi! Just wanted to point out that you should remove the Baton Pass set. Baton Pass, while it would be an asset on Natu, is unfortunately incompatible with Natu's HA Magic Bounce. The reason for this is that Natu can only get Baton Pass when it is purified in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, where Magic Bounce is unobtainable since Magic Bounce was introduced in Gen 5, forcing Natu to run either Synchronize or Early Bird, two abilities that aren't very viable. As such, since Natu is forced to drop Magic Bounce, I don't think running a Baton Pass set is viable. Not only that, but even if Natu could go Magic Bounce with Baton Pass, it wouldn't be legal since the earliest level you can get it is 22.

Conni

katharsis
am qc check (this does not count for qc 1/3)
my comments are in bold.

[OVERVIEW]
*Only Magic Bounce user in the tier
*Wide movepool with stuff like T-Wave and Roost for recovery you should specify what the movepool is good for
*Great typing to resist common Fighting types
*Hits 17 Speed and has decent SpA

*Weak to Knock Off
*Mediocre bulk
*Often weak to the SR setters it tries to stop
*I would mention Natu's ability to perform a multitude of roles
*Has bad offensive stats
*Weak to common types excluding Fighting

[SET]
name: Bouncing Birb this is up to you, but I'd rather call this something like Defensive Bouncer for more clarity)
move 1: Thunder Wave / Heat Wave --> Psychic / Heat Wave
move 2: U-Turn --> Roost
move 3: Roost --> U-Turn / Heat Wave
move 4: Psychic / Heat Wave --> Thunder Wave
item: Eviolite
nature: Bold
evs: 196 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 76 SpD / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
*Magic Bounce sends status moves back at the user, which makes Natu excellent at blocking hazard setters Magic Bounce is not a move, move this to Set Details
*Thunder Wave is great for spreading status and crippling offensive switch-ins, allowing them to be outsped by Natu and teammates.
*U-Turn is for switching out and doing chip damage after stymying a hazard-setter mention momentum as U-Turn can create momentum which can be useful for teammates
*Roost is for constant health recovery, and also temporarily gets rid of a Rock weakness for that turn, which is helpful against setters of Stealth Rock If there is already Stealth Rock, Natu would already take damage before it can even Roost, so just delete this part. Also mention that Roost maintains its longevity as it is very important for Natu's role
*While Psychic is neutral against Rock types and super effectively hits many Toxic Spike setters, Heat Wave badly damage the likes of Ferroseed and Pawniard Mention Fighting-types here too
*Heat Wave badly damage the likes of Ferroseed and Pawniard (move Heat Wave here), also mention Ice-types and give an example of an Ice-type mon.

Set Details
========
*EVs and +Def Nature is beneficial vs. the many physical attackers Natu needs to resist to do its job.
*Magic Bounce can styme status moves that can harass your team otherwise
*Talk about the Bold nature and how it helps
*Talk about the Eviolite and how it helps

Usage Tips
========
*Natu is best switched into either hazard-setters or status-spreaders in order to bounce back aphormentioned moves
*Natu can easily switch into Fighting-type moves/Pokemon and can force them out, but it needs to beware of an expected Knock Off
*Mention U-turn and momentum and how Natu can provide momentum for its teammates
*Spread Thunder Wave to anything that threatens your team, aka Pawniard.
*If you switch in Natu to force a mon out, use Roost that turn to recover HP and increase longevity, and switch out if a check comes in, although Natu should beware of Pursuit

Team Options
========
*Chinchou is immune to Electric type and resists Ice type attacks. It can also hit Vullaby with Volt Switch
*Mudbray can tanks many physical attacks that harm Natu, and can perform a role similar to Diglett in return
*You can mention Pokemon that appreciate Natu's Magic Bounce such as setup sweepers

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
*Natu can be an excellent dual screens setter with Light Clay, although A-Vulpix can do just as good a job with Aurora Veil, as long as hail is not a detriment to your team
*Sucker Punch can be used to hit Psychic-, and Ghost-types and also a cleaning move for weakened mons, and priority; mention Shadow Ball as the other variant of Sucker Punch, but special, no priority and more powerful

Checks and Counters
===================
**Chinchou Electric-types **: Volt Absorb allows Chinchou to heal from a Thunder Wave, and it is generally bulky enough to swallow a Psychic or resisted Heat Wave and retaliate with Volt Switch or Ice Beam. Mention other Electric-types as Chinchou isn't the only one that threatens Natu

**Pawniard Dark-types**: Although Pawniard hates both Thunder and Heat Wave, it can easily KO Natu with Knock Off or Sucker Punch, and even set up Stealth Rocks afterward. Same case with Chinchou, other Dark-types can threaten Natu

**Ghost-types** Ghost-type Pokemon deserve a mention as they can easily resist any moves that Natu throws at it and can easily KO Natu with super effective STAB moves. Although Gastly needs to watch out for Psychic and Thunder Wave, and all Ghost-types need to be wary of the rare Sucker Punch

**Special Walls* Special Walls are still worth a mention as they can eat up all of Natu's moves and even though they can't wear it down with status, they have physical moves that hits Natu's mediocre defenses, mostly Knock Off is used in this case.

**Offensive Ice Types/Attackers**: Shellder and A-Sandshrew can easily OHKO Natu after it sets up and in hail, respectively. But needs to watch out for Heat Wave before setting up Hail

**Rock-types** Most Rock-types can wall most of Natu's moves or use Sturdy to KO Natu with super effective STAB; Rock-type setup sweepers especially Shell Smashers can O/2HKO Natu because they setup later because most Rock-type shell smashers are slower than Natu and can take a hit before they setup

Also I don't know if the QC members agree with this, but maybe you can mention an Offensive LO set in OO or either make it an official set as it still isn't as bad in SM
A lot of things to implement here so try to implement all of this if you are willing to, reminder that you don't have to implement this, I wouldn't mind if you don't.
Aside from that good work :toast:

am qc check (this does not count for qc 1/3)
my comments are in bold.

A lot of things to implement here so try to implement all of this if you are willing to, reminder that you don't have to implement this, I wouldn't mind if you don't.
Aside from that good work :toast:
Thanks a lot; that was very helpful!

However, I want to keep the zany set name because judging by other examples (SB Carvanha being named GOTTA GO FAST in Gen VI), it's okay. That is, unless the QC people say otherwise.

also not qc but I don't see why mentioning Natu's decent SPA and 17 Speed is relavent in your overview if the only options you provide don't use either of those attributes. In a similar vein, I personally feel that Natu's best sets utilize that 17 Speed and I think you should at least mention its life orb set:
Natu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Level: 5
EVs: 116 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 11 HP
- Psychic
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
And for what its worth, in my experience, the best set is a "fast bulky attacker" set that looks like this
Natu @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

but I'm not too fussed about seeing that included. I would recommend trying it out though

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll qc check this once you add the LO set from joltage. I would also implement most of what conni suggested. feel free to use your own judgement there.
The bulky attacker set from joltage should be in set details as an alternative spread, same moveset. Though I'd like for you to explain what your spread really does!

as for the move order of your bulky attacker set:
move 1: Psychic
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Roost
move 4: Heat Wave / Thunder Wave

be sure to tag me when you are done Schmedly !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)