Natu (QC Approved 0/2)

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/177.shtml

Credit: Macle, Franky, for the base.

[Overview]

Welcome to one of the most overlooked, yet most useful supporters in Little Cup, Natu. With Generation V, Natu received a great boon to it's overall usefulness, the ability Magic Mirror, which bounces back status moves back to the opponent, which comes as an incredibly useful thing to have around regardless of circumstances. With this ability, Natu becomes a very effective Anti Lead who can bounce back enemy entry hazards, as well as Taunt from unsuspecting opponents who wish to stop Natu from setting up Dual Screens or other assorted support moves. Natu has an incredibly wide support movepool, which includes several important options such as Thunder Wave, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, and the seldom seen in Little Cup Wish, to name a few. While Natu is an excellent support Pokemon with many options in it's arsenal, it is also no slouch when taking the offensive, boasting very respectable Special Attack and Speed stats of 70, along various interesting moves received in Generation V, such as Psycho Shock with which to inflict damage upon unsuspecting foes. All in all, Natu will certainly be a great asset on all teams it is used on, and while it may face some problems with Zuruggu and Murkrow, it is still a great way to deal with the many Fighting types that pleague the current Metagame. If you need a fast supporter, or a reliable way to deal with Fighting types, look no further than Natu.

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: U-Turn
move 4: Wish / Roost
item: Light Clay / Evolution Stone
ability: Magic Mirror
nature: Jolly
evs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Natu has everything at it's disposal to become a very efficient Dual Screen Setup. First of all, Natu reaches a very respectable 17 Speed with the recommended spread, which, despite being majorly a supporting Pokemon, allows Natu to outrun several Pokemon it may need to set up Screens against, such as Dokkora, or Zuruggu to name a few. Reflect and Light Screen are the crux of this set, providing important defensive boosts to Natu's teamates which may become the one thing to allow one of them to sweep the opponent. U-Turn provides Natu with great tactical advantage, allowing Natu to possibly break an opponent's Substitute, or avoid Pokemon such as Munchlax, Hitomoshi or Wynaut which may attempt to trap Natu with Pursuit or Shadow Tag. Finally, Roost and Wish provide Natu with fast, reliable healing, both possesing their advantages over the other. Wish not only assists Natu, but provides healing for the rest of the Team in tandem with U-Turn, and given the new Wish mechanics, translates into 11 Hp, one more point than the popular Oran Berry, avaliable several times for each member of the Team as long as Natu remains around. Roost, on the other hand, removes Natu's Ice, Rock and Electric weaknesses, against slower opponents, and provides immediate healing compared to Wish's turn of waiting, which may consume valuable time off Natu's screens.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice on this particular set depends on Natu's position. Should Natu lead, Light Clay would become the prime option, since Natu's Screens and tamates would greatly appreciate the extra time brought by the Light Clay. Evolution Stone is also a worthy choice, since it allows Natu to soften up hits and eases switches into other Pokemon to set up on them. The ability choice is clear, Magic Mirror gives Natu the most benefits, stopping Taunt and Entry Hazards which Natu may encounter while setting up on other Leads, or generally across the battle. Finally, the EVs convert into 22 / 12 / 12 defences, which may soften most incoming blows and allow Natu to set up with ease. The attack EVs are there to increase the power of Natu's U-Turn, and overall optimize Natu's EVs.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Choice
move 1: Psychic / Psycho Shock
move 2: Heat Wave / Giga Drain / Shadow Ball / Trick
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting
move 4: U-Turn
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Synchronize / Magic Mirror
nature: Timid
evs: 36 Hp / 200 SpA / 200 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to utilize Natu's respectable Special Attack and Speed by dotting a Choice Specs, or Scarf. Psychic and Psycho Shock are Natu's premier STAB options, allowing Natu to inflict good damage upon anything that doesn't resist, or is immune to it. For the second slot, Natu has several interesting options. Heat Wave allows Natu to 2HKO Bronzor with Choice Specs, however, it is illegal along Magic Mirror, which makes Natu vulnerable to Thunder Wave and other assorted maladies such as Toxic. If Magic Mirror is prefered, then Natu has Giga Drain and Shadow Ball as other options. Giga Drain allows Natu to hit Water, Rock and Ground Types like Hippopotas, who normally wouldn't be OHKOed by it's STAB moves, as well as allowing Natu to regain some health lost to Stealth Rock or Sandstorm, slightly improving it's durability. As a third option, Natu has Shadow Ball, which allows him to smack Ghost Types such as Misdreavus and Duskull for heavy damage, however, the presence of Steel Types in the metagame, along the fact that being locked into Shadow Ball in the face of a Munchlax would be Natu's death sentence, leave Heat Wave as a superior option to both, Giga Drain and Shadow Ball. Trick allows Natu to disable Pokemon such as Hippopotas, or support Pokemon such as Wynaut by locking them with a Choice item. However, it's worth noting that since this is Little Cup, it's dangerous as always to surrender a Choice Scarf to an opponent's Pokemon such as Misdreavus who could take advantage of the speed boost. Trick also allows Natu to circumvent it's counters such as Bronzor or Munchlax, who would find the Choice Scarf or Specs close to useless. Hidden Power Fighting allows Natu to achieve excellent coverage along Psychic, Heat Wave or Shadow Ball. It is also worth noting that it allows for a 2HKO against standard Munchlax with Choice Specs after Stealth Rock, thus making it an excellent move to have on Natu. U-Turn allows Natu to scout the opponent by scoring a light hit, then quickly switching out to an answer to whatever the opponent might have brought to deal with Natu.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While this Natu may have both, speed and power, it's worth noting that it falls to 17 Speed without Choice Scarf, making it prey for several Pokemon such as Misdreavus and Gligar who may prey on it's fragile defenses to score an OHKO. Natu also faces problems against Stealth Rock, which greatly limits it's switching capabilities by stripping it of one quarter of it's health upon every switch. Finally, this Natu has problems against Pokemon who can switch into him, and trap him with Pursuit, such as Stunky into Psychic or Munchlax into Heat Wave or Shadow Ball. Yet, do not allow these shortcomings to discourage you from using Natu, as it is a great way to eliminate Fighting Types who pleague the current metagame, as well as a great revenge killer.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Pokemon who appreciate Fighting Types out of the way, like Zuruggu, greatly appreciate Natu in the party. Since Natu quickly and effectively deals with Dokkora, Zuruggu can easily set up a sweep without it's premiere counter and check, and proceed to defeat the opposition. Choice Scarf Natu, ironically, greatly appreciates the help of Fighting types with the removal of Dark Types who may trap him, or who are immune to Natu's STAB. Dokkora and Zuruggu, once again, make great partners to Natu.</p>

<p>For the Dual Screen set, any boosting sweeper who appreciates the bulk added by the screen support will make an excellent partner for Natu. Pokemon such as Gligar, Zuruggu, Kibago and Dratini, to name a few, will abuse the screen support to pack up several stat boosting moves, then proceed to tear holes into the opposiing Team by using the time brought by the screens to their advantage.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Natu has several other options to it's disposal, such as Sunny Day or Rain Dance on the lead set, which could replace Reflect and Light Screen with one of the aforementioned weather moves and Psychic, as well as Light Clay with either Hot Rock or Wet Rock, turning Natu into an unstoppable Weather setup for Rain and Sun Teams. Natu could also use a Physical set taking advantge of it's ample coverage options in Drill Peck, Zen Headbutt, Sucker Punch and U-Turn wit EVs spread accordingly. Natu could also run several support moves such as Thunder Wave, and Tailwind to help slower teamates sweep, however, it's worth noting that Tailwind is illegal with Magic Mirror.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Natu has several enemies, however, the most popular stand out to be Murkrow, Stunky, Munchlax and Bronzor, each dealing with Natu in unique ways. Murkrow is Natu's number one counter, not only being immune to STAB Psychic, but also outrunning each and every Natu variant save Scarf, and OHKOing all of them with Sucker Punch should they attack. Dual Screen Natu is outrun as well, and suffers heavy damage from Murkrow's STAB Drill Peck before Reflect is up. Stunky notoriously outruns all Natu as well, and will trap most variants with Pursuit or other assorted STAB Dark attacks. Munchlax is on the same boat, while it may be outrun, it doesn't care too much from Natu's moves, and will OHKO with Pursuit. Finally, Bronzor laughs at everything Natu can throw it's way barring Choice Specs Heat Wave which is a 2HKO, whereas Bronzor can retaliate with STAB Gyro Ball.</p>

<p>It is worth noting that while Natu may be defeated, it's near imposible to stop it from bringing up it's Dual Screens, since it's immune to Taunt. The only effective way of stopping Natu from setting up it's screens is to outrun and OHKO it before it sets up the necesarry screen to avoid the KO, something which Pokemon such as Misdreavus are capable of doing without much effort, killing Natu with STAB Shadow Ball.</p>

Why is synchronize slashed in the choice set? Why would anyone ever use Natu without Magic Mirror? I would give up Heat Wave for Magic Mirror for sure; you have Hidden Power Fighting anyway which is similar.

Trick (Edit: and Heat Wave) is illegal with Magic Mirror, is it not? That's probably why.

Though honestly, yeah, I'm also of the opinion that Magic Mirror is worth forgoing both.

I totally agree. I mean really, without MM, this thing is outclassed by Woobat. WOOBAT

I don't think any set should be included without Magic Mirror :/

<p>Natu has several other options to it's disposal, such as Sunny Day or Rain Dance on the lead set, which could replace Reflect and Light Screen with one of the aforementioned weather moves and Psychic, as well as Light Clay with either Hot Rock or Damp Rock, turning Natu into an unstoppable Weather setup for Rain and Sun Teams. Natu could also use a Physical set taking advantge of it's ample coverage options in Drill Peck, Zen Headbutt, Sucker Punch and U-Turn wit EVs spread accordingly. Natu could also run several support moves such as Thunder Wave, and Tailwind to help slower teamates sweep, however, it's worth noting that Tailwind is illegal with Magic Mirror.</p>
Does Murkrow really run Drill Peck that often? I see Brave Bird a lot more (and use that), and the power is quite important to shove past Evo-stone walls.

I would just take out Heat Wave and Trick and mention them in OC or something. I would never use Natu without Magic Mirror.

Consider some sort of offensive mixed LO set? I haven't really used Natu all that much this gen, but I remember using it to some small success last gen. It has a pretty broad attack movepool with Sucker Punch, U-turn, Drill Peck, Roost, Psychic, etc. I could see those working together well in this metagame with good prediction (like come in on Tesshiido Stealth Rock, and then U-turn while they switch in Murkrow). Hell, you could even slash a screen in there for good measure...

I'll test something out when I get home and post again.

I totally agree with EM on this one (even though my opinion doesn't matter). Natu kind of sucks without Magic Mirror and probably shouldn't even be considered to be used. Hidden Power Fire should also probably be slashed witih HP Fighting as the most common Steel-types, Bronzor and Tesshiido. Just me two cents

Wait, where's the obligatory CM set?

According to Smogon, Natu gets Baton Pass, (according to serebii, it doesn't) and MM is cool with it, letting it nab free boosts on obvious switches.

Idk bout cm. There are a ton of ghost/dark-types in this metagame that natu can't stand up to, plus some stuff does it better

Yeah, veekun says Natu doesn't get Baton Pass either.

EDIT: ok it does.

Still. Natu CAN use Calm Mind. It works. It's not outclassed by another Natu set at sweeping. It's not outclassed by another pokemon at sweeping.

I guess Magic Mirror is nice to blocks Twave/Toxic/Taunt etc. Roost and Assist power are fun too. The only thing that concerns me is Misdreavus and Murkrow flat out beat it, and they're two of the most common Pokemon in Little Cup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)