Natu (Ready) QC [0/3]

Overview
########
+Only Pokemon in Little Cup with the ability Magic Bounce.
+Access to Screens and Magic Bounce lets you set up without worrying about hazards
+Access to decent support move-pool and U-turn.
-Nice offensive coverage, but terrible offensive stats.
-Base 17 speed falls just short of fast tier sweepers

Bouncin' Birdy
########
Bouncin' Birdy
Move 1: Roost
Move 2: Featherdance
Move 3: U-turn/ Hidden Power Flying
Move 4: Thunder Wave
Ability: Magic Bounce
Item: Eviolite
EVS: 200 HP / 80 Def / 196 Speed
Nature: Jolly/Timid

Moves
========
Roost is for steady source of recovery, albeit negating bug resistance, and rock, ice, and electric weaknesses.
Featherdance shuts down physical attackers if Natu can outspeed them.
U-turn does not deal much damage, but helps negate focus sash and sturdy users on the switch.
Hidden Power Flying is best STAB and can deal with Foongus and Shroomish effectively.
Thunder Wave can shut down sweepers.

Set Details
========
Eviolite is only item for consideration on this set. Anything else is a waste of space.
EV spread allows Natu to get into the 17 speed tier. Featherdance and other EVs allow it to function as a defensive tank/ support.
Switch Natu into battle if you know your opponent will try to set up entry hazards or use status conditions on you.
0 SpA Natu Hidden Power Flying vs. 124 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 12-14 (48 - 56%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Natu Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Shroomish: 12-14 (48 - 56%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Other Options
########
A Calm Mind/Stored Power set that replaces Featherdance and HP Flying on a Pokemon with access to Roost might not be a bad idea.
Natu has access to Wish if you need more of a support role, but this is Natu's more aggressive set.
Natu has access to some moves that are probably best used on other Pokemon, but still might have their role. Pain Split could provide healing other than Roost or Wish, and Sucker Punch is a possible alternative to U-turn if you need more damage against Abras and Missys.

Dual Screens
########
Dual Screens
Move 1: Reflect
Move 2: Light Screen
Move 3: U-turn
Move 4: Roost
Item: Light Clay
EVs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Nature: Jolly

Moves
========
The move choices are obvious, set up the screen that will negate the most damage first, then set up the other one. Get out of the battle with U-turn. Roost is here so that you can come out later if needed.

Set Details
========
Light Clay is best run here to increase screen longevity. EV spread is pretty even so that this Natu can be flexible when setting up screens. This set is not meant to fight, just to set up screens while passively preventing entry hazards.

Usage Tips
========
Natu is not a great fighter, so abuse Magic Bounce while shutting down your opponent's team so that your other Pokemon can set up or have opportunities to get out.
Don't be afraid to let Natu tank some hits.
A background knowledge of the max speeds of Pokemon in the metagame is useful when running Natu.
Maintain momentum with Natu by setting up the screen you need, then U-turning out of there.

Team Options
========
Dwebble, Fletchling, and Houndour would appreciate the protection from Stealth Rock.
You could put Shell Smash Pokemon on this team as well, because they appreciate screen protection (IE Clamperl, Dwebble, Tirtouga)
Other stuff that is weak to entry hazards and crippled by status.
Spinarak or Surskit would be useful to set up Sticky Web, allowing Natu to outspeed almost everything without a Choice Scarf. This lets it mitigate most of the opponent's damage while with a fast screens set up.

Other Options
########
Wish could be useful instead of Roost if you want to go the support role, but the instant healing will be missed.
Running a Power Herb/Sky Attack set is a terrible idea.
Running a specially offensive set on Natu is a bad idea in general.

Checks and Counters
########
Ferroseed, Surskit, and Lead Dwebble (Natu bounces back entry hazards)
Foongus & Shroomish (These guys rely on status, and T-wave can cripple them)
Mienfoo & Timburr (Stone Edge and Ice Punch)
Drilbur (Mold Breaker combined with Stealth Rock gets through Magic Bounce)
Sweep Dwebble (Rock Blast Destroys Natu)
Misdreavus & Gastly (Shadow Balls are not good for Natu)
Anorith (Outspeeds and destroys)
Chinchou & Magnemite (STAB Thunderbolt hurts)

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've done Smogon articles, so remind me if I'm missing anything. Don't worry about my feelings either, I know about the vicious tearing apart that is sure to come lol.

Firs thing I can say is your formatting for your sets isn't correct. It should be like this:

Bouncin' Birdy
########
Bouncin' Birdy
Move 1: Roost
Move 2: Featherdance
Move 3: U-turn/ Hidden Power Flying
Move 4: Toxic/Thunder Wave
Item: Eviolite
EVS: 200 HP / 80 Def / 196 Speed
Nature: Timid

Set name has to go above the set as well

Definetly go more in depth when talking about checks and counters. Explain how they check/counter Natu, as more information is always good. Same thing with your team options, which are a bit bare-bones.
Overall, just be a bit more specific, and you should be good.

IMO slash T-Wave over Toxic. Toxic isn't nearly as useful in LC as in OU.

Also, your nature is only Timid on the first set, but you have U-Turn slashed first. Change it to Jolly / Timid.

U-turn is ideally run with Toxic, and Hidden Power Flying with Thunder Wave.
Why?

You also need a Team Options header for each set, and as HollowRidley said, definitely go into more detail. I mean, for C&C, you just have a list of some pokes.

In your damage calcs, you use 0- SpA, but why would Natu run Jolly or any other SpA lowering nature if it's running HP Flying?

On the screens set, slash Light Clay before Eviolite.

I'm questioning the order of the sets; the first one looks like a weaker, slower Murkrow. I think Natu's real niche is its ability to set up Dual Screens (and Magic Bounce, but that comes in both sets). I would like to see some QC support of this before it gets done, though.

Alright, I've made some minor revisions. I plan on redoing the damage calculations later. I would appreciate some advisement on what else to include in the team options set and C&C.

I'm looking at this skeleton right now, and as far as I'm concerned it needs MORE. I'll keep working on this myself, butI really need some community advisement on other things to include in the article before I even consider putting this up for Quality Control.

Running a Power Herb/Sky Attack set is a terrible idea.
Running a specially offensive set on Natu is a bad idea in general.
This should go in OO, not Set details of the second set.

You also don't need to have two separate lists for checks and counters. "Checks and counters" is really just one thing. Pokes that are hugely better checks than others can be considered counters, but there's no clear distinction between the two.

Alright, I've gone ahead and switched it to QC. Looking for more input and more than willing to change stuff around.

Last edited:
In team options you put joltik for sticky web support when joltik unfortunately does not get sticky web. Spinarak can though so I suppose you could just switch spinarak for joltik. I don't know why that needs to be mentioned though. Natu is itself a support mon, support like sticky web seems unnecessary.

I use U-turn / Heat Wave / Psychic (Future Sight) / Roost as my spread. I wouldn't recommend Featherdance with all the Pawniards running around and the knock off buff. You should just switch in on things that lay hazards (Trubbish / Ferroseed / Lileep etc) and things that normally would spread status. I wouldn't feather dance a dwebble now-a-days since iirc they carry knock off and I would rather keep my eviolite. Just u-turn --> and ko it since sturdy is broken.

I played for like 35 minutes straight against that Natu and I completely agree with Artemisa its really good.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with others that have said run heat wave/psychic/roost/u-turn and I just wanted to note that if you do run this, without the IV drop, you have enough EVs to add an extra point in SpA, so be sure to add that in as well :)

Edit: Should probably mention how it basically 100% walls ferroseed

Last edited:
Sure. I'll be sure to mention all things suggested and amend the bulk of this soon. Finishing up the chaos of finals currently, so I haven't had much time lately.

name: Offensive Birdy
move 1: Psyshock/Psychic
move 2: Heat Wave
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Roost
ability: Magic Bounce
item: Life Orb
evs: 196 SpA / 196 Spd / 76 Def
nature: Modest/Timid

Haha, might seem a little weird but this is basically the offensive Xatu set that's used in NU, I thought well why not put it here? I've used it and it actually works pretty well.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I noticed that you have two Other Options sections, one for each set. There is only supposed to be one of these segments, placed after all of the set information but directly before Checks and Counters (basically, where the second one is now). Please combine those two segments.

Also, remove Ferroseed, Shroomish, and Foongus from Checks and Counters, as they don't check or counter Natu at all, instead it's more like the other way around. Dwebble can stay though, because it carries Rock Blast and possibly Shell Smash.

I really don't wanna offend you or anything but I have a shitton of natu experience since early BW LC, and I have to say it pisses me off the garbage sets people still think are the best options for natu. While admittedly it's not as good as it was in BW due to knock off buff and defog, my earlier set that i used still should be standard imho. The set is as follows:
Natu @Eviolite
Roost
Psychic
U-turn
Sucker Punch
Neutral Nature
Right off the bat u might be thinking wtf is this guy doing with a neutral nature, but hear me out. In LC neutral natures are sometimes useful, because regular natures boost most stats by only 1, and decrease most stats by 2, making them unfavorable on a mon like this. Natu works as follows, he works as a pivot constantly u-turning trying to keep hazards off ur team for as long as possible through prediction and u-turn. He can also come in on bulky mienfoo, croagunk, or timburr as long as it's not in on a knock off. Sucker Punch is very very underrated on Natu, netting surprise KOs on weakened pokemon, especially psychics and ghosts like abra, missy, and gastly. Roost is for recovery and durability. It should also be noted that even tho he can't sleep foongus now, he still walls it pretty cold as long as they don't get super lucky with sludge bomb crits and first use poison. Also it still walls ferroseed and the now rare bronzor cold.
If you really think your sets are good go ahead and keep them, but i beg of you that you add mine!
-Luv Nay
EDIT:
EVS: EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 76 SpD / 36 Spe

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really don't wanna offend you or anything but I have a shitton of natu experience since early BW LC, and I have to say it pisses me off the garbage sets people still think are the best options for natu. While admittedly it's not as good as it was in BW due to knock off buff and defog, my earlier set that i used still should be standard imho. The set is as follows:
Natu @Eviolite
Roost
Psychic
U-turn
Sucker Punch
Neutral Nature
Right off the bat u might be thinking wtf is this guy doing with a neutral nature, but hear me out. In LC neutral natures are sometimes useful, because regular natures boost most stats by only 1, and decrease most stats by 2, making them unfavorable on a mon like this. Natu works as follows, he works as a pivot constantly u-turning trying to keep hazards off ur team for as long as possible through prediction and u-turn. He can also come in on bulky mienfoo, croagunk, or timburr as long as it's not in on a knock off. Sucker Punch is very very underrated on Natu, netting surprise KOs on weakened pokemon, especially psychics and ghosts like abra, missy, and gastly. Roost is for recovery and durability. It should also be noted that even tho he can't sleep foongus now, he still walls it pretty cold as long as they don't get super lucky with sludge bomb crits and first use poison. Also it still walls ferroseed and the now rare bronzor cold.
If you really think your sets are good go ahead and keep them, but i beg of you that you add mine!
-Luv Nay
EDIT:
EVS: EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
Broski, this got reassigned. Probably want to post this in the new thread when it comes up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)