Gen 2 NB 0.97 is up

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice, I'll probably download this again eventually, for a laugh. I'd rather just have a Simulator with all gens on in the near future though...

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They don't appear to give any information on what's actually different, and because they made the worst design practice in forums (forcing you to register to read the forums), I am unable to check if there is anything posted about it.

0.9.7 release notes:
- Servers can't be crashed any more;
- Tempban duration limit is 9999 minutes now;
- Connection to server is always encrypted

I hope thats not everything.. I'll sign up on the forums to check.

That is everything, Usainbolt. I know because I'm a very well known member at those forums.

@Obi: There aren't any topics about it, but at the moment there is a debate going on about who is going to host the 0.9.7 registry. If you sign up and check out this topic you'll find out more: http://pmnb.net/forum/index.php?topic=1487.0

So, is the NB patch included(I believe it makes you not crash in battle after a spectator /me's[this wasn't in 9.6])?

They don't appear to give any information on what's actually different, and because they made the worst design practice in forums (forcing you to register to read the forums), I am unable to check if there is anything posted about it.
Synoptically they fixed several server crashing methods. That's about it. lol

A team is currently working on a new version that will come with D/P as well as many new other features so that's what people should be really looking out for..

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
For some reason it looks like it's really fast for me. I always have absolutely 0 lag now.

er i can not get this to run, it keeps saying there is an error, if anyone wants to help me, please pm me asap so i can get this to work. i really wanna play x]

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I better add to this that to run a server on the new netbattle, you change/copy the properties of the "Run a Server" Shortcut to link to whatever you called the new netbattle.

Nope. He's advertising one of the many attempts to convert Netbattle to include the 4th generation.
Attempts?

We are coding the moves and getting the DP pokes into the database before we convert the file into the correct format.

We aren't going to stop half way or put a halt to it after getting pretty danm far. (Like the other 10000 simulators that are "being made")

Also the crashing methods were not fixed in 9.7, if someone cracks the encryption (since some idiot named Wizard leaked it), then there was no point for the "update" (Which is more like a 0.9.6r update)

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A method of encryption that requires people to not understand it for it to work is a poor method of encryption. Encryption ciphers like AES (Rijndael) for symmetric key cryptography and things like the Diffie-Hellman key exchange for public key cryptography are known algorithms that are in use for many applications (the secure WPA2 certification for wireless communications uses CCMP, which is entirely open).

I was particularly interested in whether several of the security holes in NB had been fixed, but judging from what I've read so far, they have not.

NetBattle's method of password handling, for instance, is terribly insecure. NB uses a global password system, and the owner of any server you log into can acquire this password, which is almost always going to be the same on every server a person visits.

I also immediately distrust the security credentials of anyone who claims that servers can no longer be crashed. Even if we assume they fixed all of the many bugs in .96 (1024 turn battles, for instance), there is no way for a program as complex as NB to be guaranteed secure. Moreover, there is no way to protect against a properly executed Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When he says "servers can no longer be crashed", he likely means "due to the most common methods of crashing servers" which are usually crude DDos attacks.

Started it up. The lack of English-speaking servers is sad, as is the quality of players. I 5-0d a guy in Blue Kirby's old server.

A method of encryption that requires people to not understand it for it to work is a poor method of encryption. Encryption ciphers like AES (Rijndael) for symmetric key cryptography and things like the Diffie-Hellman key exchange for public key cryptography are known algorithms that are in use for many applications (the secure WPA2 certification for wireless communications uses CCMP, which is entirely open).

WPA2 has nothing to do with netbattle, what in the world are you talking about?

We are changing the encryption method for alot of things anyways.

I was particularly interested in whether several of the security holes in NB had been fixed, but judging from what I've read so far, they have not.

In the Diamond Pearl patch that my team and I are making, all "security holes", (which were all just because of source code leaks) have been fixed.

NetBattle's method of password handling, for instance, is terribly insecure. NB uses a global password system, and the owner of any server you log into can acquire this password, which is almost always going to be the same on every server a person visits.

There was a script made to stop this, however we changed the password system (iirc).

I also immediately distrust the security credentials of anyone who claims that servers can no longer be crashed. Even if we assume they fixed all of the many bugs in .96 (1024 turn battles, for instance), there is no way for a program as complex as NB to be guaranteed secure. Moreover, there is no way to protect against a properly executed Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.

Why is there no way for NB to be garanteed secure?

There was a firewall made for netbattle a long time ago (by Wizard, don't know if you guys know/remember him), and we have a firewall that is built in, we are coding it to auto-block floods.

"DDoS" does not do anything to netbattle servers, the programs that "flood" are programs made almost specifically for netbattle. *Cough Jashdias' boah bots**Cough Connection-SpamBots*. They will flood your server anyways, therefore the build-in firewall will block and rendering it useless.

Why would a battle even last 1024 turns? Obviously we will patch this up but that is a horrible excuse to say it is not "Secure".
Response in bold. Please don't go making assumptions.

Edit: I also forgot to mention, we made a new script method that works with the raw data, so if some new crash packet is found, you can just script a fix to your server, instead of waiting for an update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)