NCAA Football 2015-2016 Thread

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
You're ashamed to be a fan of your team because of bad officiating? Lol...

It's no different from officiating in the SEC. Gotta protect your crown jewel...
I'm ashamed of the bad name it put on the ACC as a whole. To have a call like that cost UNC a chance at the game on national television really doesn't look good for the conference, not just the refs.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Casual fans don't see shitty refs and think the conference sucks, they see the shitty teams and think the conference sucks. Only rubes give a shit about conference anyway. That shit is for scheduling purposes, marketing, all that other bureaucratic nonsense, not fandom. Who the fuck roots for a conference? Oh, right...

Sadly, everything went as expected. Real talk though, Iowa didn't drop below OSU? Committee wtf r u doin?? Guess it doesn't matter a whole lot but not going to the Rose Bowl is somewhat of a symbolic screw-you-guys, although I'm more offended by the fact that I just blatantly disagree because they're totally wrong yo.

I just want to throw out there that I think it's pretty classy that Kirby Smart, recently hired by UGA, is being allowed to/opting to stick with coaching Alabama for the playoff(s). In a league where coaches are pretty quick to ditch their posts in these situations, it's nice to see that level of commitment from both sides of the business.

Iowa not dropping below OSU and Stanford is BS imo, they don't have many quality wins and lost to MSU by the same margin OSU lost. I do think it reinforces the idea that the conference bowl game is weighted more heavily by the committee, because they basically didn't punish UNC, Florida, or Iowa for losing their bowl games when it feels like they would in years past.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Honestly if I had to guess the four best teams in the country today 3/4 of the playoff teams would not be among them. Alabama, Ohio State, Stanford, and either Notre Dame or TCU all look better to me than Clemson, Oklahoma, or Michigan State. Yes, this is in spite of Oklahoma beating TCU by a point at home while TCU was starting their backup as well as Michigan State beating Ohio State while never leading thanks to some questionable play calling + catching OSU napping after ten straight walkovers (that would not happen again if they were to rematch).

That being said it would sort of invalidate the season if suddenly the committee were like 'we think in a rematch OSU would've won so we will just assume they did', but it does go to show that the Football system is kind of broken. A more comprehensive tournament like NCAA Basketball has would certainly not go amiss, though there's no way they could do that since they would then be subjecting College Football players to an NFL season's worth of games on top of schoolwork (lol) etc.

I actually think the best thing to do would be to do some sort of rotating 6-8 game schedule to determine the top 32 teams, and then have those teams face off in a tournament over what would've been the last five weeks of the season. The finals can be played out during bowl season and teams which come on strong late in the year could still improve their bowl placement to play a team that lost in the 'official' tournament. It wouldn't screw anyone over but it would give teams incentive to play strong competition from the get-go and would create a lot more meaningful games throughout the year.

Of course the NCAA would never go for it since it would be spitting in the face of 'tradition' but it's fun to think about.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Meanwhile us Ohio State fans are sitting here like "yeah see they should've just let us in anyway."

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
jim HARBAUGH! 10-3 in his first year!

Ohio State loses like half their skill position players next year. MSU loses like 12 starters. Michigan retains like everyone except their QB, who they're replacing with an even better transfer from Houston.

Watch out B1G next year.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Honestly I would bet Ohio state is the best team in the country right now. I suspect they would beat Alabama exactly like they did last year.

I suspect Clemson is going to have a bad time though.

Is anyone else really excited for Houston next season? Tom Herman is amazing, you don't see a rookie coach get 13 wins (4 ranked) very often. On top of that, they're retaining almost their entire offense, including Greg Ward (the dude has been phenomenal this season), in addition to an extremely strong group of recruits, which will probably be bolstered even further by their Peach Bowl win. On top of all of this, they open next year versus Oklahoma; a win there would be huge. Being a G5 school does hurt them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get scooped up in a Big 12 expansion. Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)