XY OU Need help creating a team around my Jolteon...

Hello everyone,

(I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect thread, if it is please advise as to where I should post this. If it is not then please continue and please help me! :)

I have played Pokemon for years but have never looked into the competitive battling side until now. I've been doing research lately and I believe I understand the basics to it. I am trying to build a team to take to PAX East this year to battle the PAX Pokemon League and win a few badges. :) As much as I love all of the powerful OU Pokemon out there, I really want to create a team that can work around my Jolteon in either a Lead or Sweeper form (or another that is a good role for him that I am unaware of.) Jolteon is my favorite Pokemon and it wouldn't be the same getting PAX League badges with out it. I've looked up some videos and have a decent team at the moment however I seem to get countered quite a bit and I am looking for some help to either improve my current team or shuffle around Pokemon all together to create a better team to surround my Jolteon.

I am open to any and all criticism (again I am newer to this so don't hesitate to go down to the bare bones of the strategy, the more I know the better.) I have had massive help building this team but I want to make it even better. With all of that said, here is my current team that I have been practicing online with:

Offensive Core:

Jolteon - Timid (+Spe, -Atk) - EV's 60 HP, 252 SpA, 196 Speed)
Volt Absorb with Expert Belt

Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Agility
Baton Pass

I've tried using Jolteon as a Lead/Special Attack Sweeper using Agility first as a guarantee that I am faster than anyone and the ability to use Baton Pass to maintain that speed when I switch into Mega-Heracross to combat any of Jolteon's counters. Thunderbolt as Jolteon's STAB and Hidden Power Ice to cover Ground (and Dragon) types like Garchomp when they come in to counter. Plus with agility I have the speed to always go first and with the Special Attack EV's and special effect boost from Expert Belt, I am able to OHKO them.)

Mega-Heracross - Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) - EV's 196 HP, 252 Atk, 60 Speed)
Skill Link with Heracronite

Pin Missile
Close Combat
Bullet Seed
Earthquake

Mega-Heracross is my Bulky Physical Sweeper and with the Baton Pass plus Agility from Jolteon it can out speed pretty much everything just enough with the 60 speed on it and making it bulkier by giving the the 196 HP. Skill link will guarantee 5 shots of pin missile and bullet seed creating some nice one move KO's and Close Combat/Earthquake are massive physical moves to help keep his move variation quite complex to cover a large amount of super effective moves against a variety of Pokes.

Heatran - Calm (+Speed, -Atk) - EV's 252 Speed, 252 SpA, 4 HP)
Flash Fire with Choice Specs

Flash Cannon
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse

Leaving the Physical damage to Mega-Heracross I've brought in Heatran to round out my offensive core. I'm continuing with the Speed factor here to make sure that I can get a shot off first and have plenty of coverage with different types of attacks. I'm not so hot on the Choice Specs but with that SpA boost and Jolteon using the Expert belt I'm not sure what else to use. Also if ground moves go off on Heatran or Jolteon its a big problem as well and they are even normal effective against Heracross so that is a problem I've encountered as well. Again, open to suggestions but I love the offensive potential Heatran brings to this team along with his variety of SpA moves.

Defensive Core:

Chansey - Bold (+Def, -Atk) - EV's 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD)
Natural Cure with Eviolite

Stealth Rock
Seismic Toss
Wish
Protect

Chansey instead of Blissey with the Eviolite presented a much stronger defensive Pokemon from what I have looked at/tested. The Stealth Rock was too tempting to pass up plus Wish (to use on any of my team instead of Soft-boiled for just Chansey) and Protect combo to scout out moves and health myself felt pretty good defensively in my mine. I've had trouble with Ghost types because I cant attack them with Seismic Toss while trying to eliminate Ghost moves by sending Chansey in but I'm not sure what else would go great. I've seen Flamethrowers on other Chansey's but Heatran covers my fire type on my team. Again open to any and all suggestions.

Skarmory - Impish (+Def, -SpA) - EV's 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def)
Sturdy with Rocky Helmet

Tailwind
Roost
Brave Bird
Defog

The Skarmory & Chansey Defensive combo I have heard about before when looking up combos for Jolteon (seeing and passing up the Jolteon & Gyarados combo for the physical attacker that is Mega Heracross) Tailwind helps give my entire team speed so that baton pass isn't needed to out speed someone when switching, roost helps recover from brave bird and defog gets rid of all traps. I love this Skarmory/Chansey duo and haven't considered taking it out of my team but if everyone has good reasons as to why I am open to any and all suggestions that make my team around Jolteon better :)

Meowstic - Bold (+Def, -Atk) - EV's 252 HP, 212 Def, 44 Sp. Def.)
Prankster with Light Clay

Psyshock
Thunder Wave
Reflect
Trick

I needed another support/setup to finish off my team and I really wanted a T-wave so I picked up Meowstic as I thought it fit best with the rest of my team comp. In my battles I have had a really hard time working Meowstic into the battle (due to a lot of dark and ghost types roaming when I need to switch someone in) and could use a lot of help figuring that out. I've even tried using Meowstic as a lead to try and set up my reflect with the light clay t-wave someone and then throw in Jolteon with the reflect to counter the weak defense that Jolteon has. This is my weak spot in my team I feel because I do not know how to use Meowstic to its fullest. (Again refer to the massive help portion at the top that I have received to create this team and need even more help to be in a position to beat those from the PAX Pokemon League.)

This is what I have thus far and really hope that you all can help me improve on my team whether it is the smallest or even most radical shake up of this composition you can think of. I thank you for reading let alone the possibility of you all helping me to create the best team possible! :)

-doubleb036

Haha I appreciate the advice but trust me I know and I've been told that mega manectric is better to build around instead as well but it's just not worth it to play without your favorite Pokemon, you know?

Any other suggestions though?

Hey, nice team. Here are my suggestions:

What Smog Frog is said is right, Jolteon is outclassed by both Raikou and Manectric in OU, both have similar speeds and hit much harder. They both also have a tad bit more bulk.

Your Heatran set is err.... Try this set. It gives you a bit more utility and still allows for some offensive options at the same time.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Rock Blast over Bullet Seed on Heracross is preferred as Rock Blast checks Flying spam.

Lastly, Meowstic is pretty bad in OU, try Scarfed Goth as it is a good trapper and Scarf Tricker as well.

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick

If you're looking for a dual screener, Klefki is far superior, try this:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Lastly, just a personal pick but Taunt over Tailwind in Skarm, allows you to prevent Defoggers from doing their job and cripple walls like Chansey. Just good for thought.

Hope it helps!
-PK

Puzzle King, thank you so much for the help! This is awesome. I will definitely take the suggestions on my Heatran and I am leaning towards that Klefki but will keep the Gothitelle in mind! Now onto the fun part and to start breeding right? -_- haha ugh. Thank you again! :)

-doubleb036

Agreeing with Puzzle King for using Klefki as your screener. It's better in every single way.
I recommend a different spread for Chansey, since investing in HP for Chansey is really inefficient.
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect
You will take hits better this way, although your wish will get a little bit smaller.
And use 0 Atk Ivs on every single pokemon that you don't need your Attack stat. This way you will take less hits from Foul Plays and confusions.
In OU, there are no rules about items, so it's okay to use the same items for your pokemon. Or aren't you using the OU rule?
If you want to build a team around Jolteon, why don't you try building a RU team? Jolteon is a decent mon there, with Mega Manetric and Raikou banned. Meowstic does its job better too, as a dual sceener.

Ahh gotcha, yeah I will try that out for Chansey as well. I agree with the higher defense and special defense stats for more stability. I didn't know that about the 0 Atk IV's for Foul Play and Confusion so that helps alot :) and I am trying to take this team to face the PAX Pokemon League at PAX East in Boston so I am abiding by their rules and prepping for strong combos by facing OU teams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)