1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Need Help Making The Finishing Touches To My Team!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by X Kitsune X, Aug 21, 2011.

1. X Kitsune X

X Kitsune X

So yeah, this is my new new team. I've been working on it for about a week, and it got me to #1000 on pokemon online's DW ladder, which I'm proud of. All I need now are some finishing touches before I make it for B/W wifi.

Meet The Team
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'll talk through why I chose each pokemon one at a time.​

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Iron Barbs
    252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp Def
    Careful (-Sp atk, + Sp def)
    Protect
    Leech Seed
    Power Whip
    Thunder Wave
    This ferrothorn doesn't carry stealth rocks, since I normally switch in to espeon first turn to magic bounce the opponent's rocks back at them. Ferrothorn acts as a good lure for fire types too, meaning I can switch in Arcanine to get a flash fire boost. Since he lacks a reliable healing move, Leech Seed+Protect lets him recover some of his health each turn, while also wearing down my opponent. Ferrothorn's job is to act as a lure for fire types and stealth rocks, and cripple sweepers with leech seed+thunder wave+protect. Rocky Helmet+Iron Barbs also leaves a nice dent in my opponent.

[​IMG]
    Suicune @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp Def
    Bold (-Atk, +Def)
    Calm Mind
    Surf
    Protect
    Toxic
    After looking at my team, I realised that Suicune had the potential to be a reliable wall all along. With Calm Mind, he can boost his Special Attack and Special Defense, so a Bold nature helps by boosing his physical defense. Toxic lets me cripple other walls or pokemon who try to set up on me, and Surf is a reasonably powerful move after a Calm Mind or two.​

[​IMG]
    Salamence @ Lum Berry
    Moxie
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp Atk
    Naive (-Sp Def, +Speed)
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast
    Salamence is the core of my team. After one dragon dance, he hits 492 speed, outspeeding virtually the entire metagame. After that, he just hits harder and harder, thanks to moxie. Earthquake is for steel types, who are the only pokemon to resist Dragon Claw, and Fire Blast takes care of Skarmory and Ferrothorn, who would otherwise wall Salamence to the end of days. The Lum Berry also lets me get an extra turn against pokemon who would otherwise cripple me with thunder wave or will-o-wisp.​

[​IMG]
    Darmanitan @ Life Orb
    Sheer Force
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP.
    Jolly (-Sp Atk, +Speed)
    Flare Blitz
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake
    Superpower
    I changed Arcanine to Darmanitan, which seems a bit of a shame to me (I really like Arcanine). A slight variant on what Browners suggested, I changed the nature to Jolly, since Life Orb Sheer Force Flare Blitz is going to hurt anyway, and I feel Darmanitan needs a little bit of a speed boost to help it sweep some of the faster pokemon that would otherwise outrun it and kill it off.

[​IMG]
    Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
    Adaptability
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Modest (-Attack, +Sp Atk)
    Hidden Power (Fighting)
    Dark Pulse
    Tri Attack
    Trick
    I'm often wary about using Choice Scarf, since I don't think it gives pokemon an amazing boost. However, Porygon-Z looks like one pokemon that can really use it. Having the scarf allows Porygon-Z to run a Modest nature, boosting his special attack stat to a monumental 404. With that kind of power, and Adaptability kicking in, Tri Attack is going to really hurt anything that doesn't resist it. Dark pulse takes care of Ghost types who resist my STAB, and HP Fighting deals with Steel types. Even better, I can trick my opponents into a set-up move and still have enough power to hit hard.​

[​IMG]
    Espeon @ Choice Specs
    Magic Mirror
    252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP.
    Timid (-Attack, +Speed)
    Psyshock
    Hidden Power (Fighting)
    Grass Knot
    Shadow Ball
    Not quite so effective as my Choice Specs Trick Espeon back in 4th Gen, but at least now it has an awesome ability. Magic Mirror allows my Espeon to switch in on stealth rocks, spore, and thunder wave and bounce them right back at the opponent. Psyshock has less power than Psychic, but allows me to take out special walls with low physical defense like Chansey. Hidden Power replaces Signal Beam as a counter to dark types, and also hurts Steel types too, which is an added bonus. Grass Knot deals with bulky waters like Quagsire and Swampert, whereas Shadow Ball works well against slower Ghost Types like Dusclops and damages other Psychic types.​

So that's it. My fingers are bleeding now, since I was forced to retype this after my computer deleted it all for me. I look forward to your suggestions, thanks in advance.​
  2. Soulfly

Soulfly

You dont seem to really have much walls on the team.
    Rotom can wall a bit , and suicune could if he was a bulky setup. Ferrothorn ofcourse too but 1 fire attack will kill him , if you counter that with switch to arcanine an earthquake will just kill arcanine.
    Maybe add a bit more Sp.A EV's on the salamance , as he has dragon dance .
    Then again , the situations where you will use fire blast usually is on a 4x weakness so maybe its ok this way.
  3. X Kitsune X

X Kitsune X

So what do you suggest to replace rotom as a wall? I'm trying to keep the team as balanced as possible, so that one pokemon can switch in to another's counter, etc.
  4. Lemonz

Lemonz

Starmie pulls suicune's set off better for being able to force more switches. If you wnt to use it right, change suicune to having hp and defence over sp.atk and speed evs.
  5. Soulfly

Soulfly

Well honestly i wouldnt know what to replace, maybe making suicune a more bulky one would work , but that would need testing.
    The team is solid but one misprediction can cost you alot.
  6. X Kitsune X

X Kitsune X

Well, I've had alot of trouble coming up with a second wall. If I changed Suicune to a wall, I could probably find a good special sweeper without imbalancing my team too much.

EDIT: For a special sweeper, how about Porygon-Z?
  7. AntiMetaGame

AntiMetaGame

Unique team, a different idea from the rest. However, there is always room for improvement.

Right off the bat, you are CB Terrakion weak. A banded Close Combat OHKOs Ferrothorn and ARK9, and everything else is 2HKOed without rocks. Rocks are only needed to secure the OHKO on Espeon while everything else is outsped and killed. Since he is such a threat, you might want to consider Gliscor over Suicune. You already have a bulky water so I feel its redundant.

The set is:
    Toxic Orb
    Poison Heal
    Impish
    252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang / Facade
    - Taunt / Protect

Gliscor is acts as a bulky sweeper just like cune. He also has the ability to be a status absorber in case Espeon gets randomly it by a strong attack. I suggest Protect over Ice Fang in case the CB terra uses Stone Edge (which is a 2HKO after rocks) to drain the 8 PP and heal enough to not die. He's your main threshold against Terrakion, keep him alive!

If you want to keep Suicune, change the Shell Bell to Leftovers. You may want to try a bold rotom over your calm one, ferro takes special attacks fairly well already.

In a nutshell:
    Gliscor over Suicune
    If you keep Suicune, use leftovers instead of Shell Bell
    Try a Bold nature over a Calm nature on Rotom.

I'm a bit tired now, if I think of anything else, I'll come back. Good luck!
  8. Browners

Browners

In my opinion, Arcaine is outclassed in OU by Heatran and Darmanitan,
    Heatran does the same job of absorbing fire type hits but is generally bulkier and can combat the metagame a lot better, taking out threats such as ferrothorn, forretress, Gliscor and Skarmory.

Here's the set:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Flamethrower
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Will-O-Wisp

Alternatively you could go with Darmanitan, who has the same speed as Arcanine but packs more of a PUNCH. Life Orb is good with sheer force as you get no recoil and hit so goddamn fucking hard with flare blitz. Choice band is just.... it's not fair. OHKOs Gliscor. GLISCOR. Here's the set:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Darmanitan @ Life Orb/Choice Band
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-Turn
    - Rock Slide
    - Superpower / Earthquake
  9. X Kitsune X

X Kitsune X

Okay, I made a couple changes. I'm still not too sure about them though. Porygon-Z isn't doing nearly as much damage as I thought he would, and, as effective as Darmanitan is, I really did like using Arcanine. I still don't feel Suicune will work too well as a wall either.
  10. Gallade711

Gallade711

I recommend that you change Suicune's set to this:

Water Absorb
    @Leftovers
    Bold
    252HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
    -Calm Mind
    -Scald
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk

The Bold nature and 252 Def EVs give Suicune maximum physical defense. The reason SpDef doesn't have any EV investment besides the leftover 4 EVs is because after one Calm Mind boost, Suicune's SpDef surpasses its Defense. Rest is added because it gives Suicune a way to recover health outside of Leftovers, and Sleep Talk allows Suicune keep boosting its stats or deal out damage. Lastly, Scald is chosen over Surf because Scald has a 30% chance to burn the opponent, which can allow Suicune to more easily deal with physical threats.
  11. asterat

asterat

Just scarf your menace if your usingmoxie
  12. asterat

asterat

Maybe toxic over calm mind he is a wall, no?
  13. Molk

Molk rip houndoom
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

1) change darmanitan back to adamant, there is nothing important that jolly outspeeds that adamant doesn't

2) change ferrothorn to relaxed, 0 spe ivs, and put gyro ball over thunder wave to hit pokemon even harder than power whip. also, try this ev spread: (252hp48def208spdef)
    this will round out ferrothorn's defenses more than 252 128 128 would. put spikes over protect as well, this means you can bounce back the common stealth rock AND
    set up the Slightly rarer spikes. to maximize entry hazard damage.

3) I agree with gallade711 about the suicune set, the cmer can make opponents cry.
    try it out!

4) put calm mind over grass knot on espeon. Porygon-z's tri attack will hit them hard enough already.

5) moxie salamence is both unreleased and not worth it, due to being illegal with Outrage. Change the ability to intimidate to set up DD more easily and put outrage over dragon claw, +1 outrage hits as hard as +2 dragon claw.

Good luck
  14. Zerohour17

Zerohour17

most of your pokes are offensive, which is good, but I'd say go with either a bulky suicune or replace porygon with some sort of bulky sweeper poke

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)