Need help Tweaking team.

To preface this a little, I'm interested in hyper offense and that's the ultimate goal of this team. Now to break down the mon's and their roles.

Weavile (M) @ King's Rock
Ability: Pickpocket
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Fling
- Icicle Crash
- Throat Chop

This is a strong lead with a lot of garchomp or other dragon types. Also provides me with a Fake out, not to mention a method of flinching inside Psychic Terrain with Fling. Also deals with A Marowak nice with throat chop.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

So this mon is kind of Koko slayer. I can ohko koko with thunderbolt in his own terrain. This also is a way to deal with celesteela's/water types like goldduck/peliper.

Milotic (F) @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 100 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Protect

I feel like this is a really solid mon for this team with the high amount of intimidate users. Destroy's arcanine, garchomp, can swap into garadaos, etc. Provides me with a safe water type that can also become hyper offensive with an intimidate being swapped in/used.

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Lunge
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Protect

This is one of my counter to trick rooms. Most trick room setters with the exception of a few are normal type, more commonly oranguru and porygon 2. Pheramosa ohko's with Fightinium Z on oranguru and P2. Also provides strong pressure on all tapu's with poison jab. HJK deals with common rock's like gigalith. If it gets a Beast Boost and lives, basically can sweep a game.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Bonemerang

One of the meta mon's in my team. Good answer to trick room making use of it and can ohko celesteela's/ A marowaks/ etc. Also proects from opposing electric moves with Lightning rod if i have milotic out or something that's super weak to electric moves.

Drampa @ Life Orb
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse

This mon is up for tweaking, but so far its proved useful for its role. It's my answer to weather with C9, Works really well if my opponent sets trick room for me, is an answer to gastrodon as well as other dragon types.

So that's the team. It feels strong with playing against whats common, but I do feel like something is missing or maybe its missing the HO play style mark. Any questions/comments/constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. I'm still kind of new to VGC.

Hmm, interesting team. I don't think I've ever seen a Drampa used without a trick room setter but it's interesting as a check to opposing trick room. I don't really have enough time to go through potential member changes, but I can suggest some tweaks to certain sets.

Firstly I'm not too sure about Fling King's Rock Weavile. It just seems too situational, especially on a team with no forms of setup to take advantage of the free turns. I feel like focus sash is a more reliable option for Weavile, and it frees up the last slot for a lot of interesting options, such as Poison Jab for securing important 2HKOs on Tapus, Taunt for preventing setup/trick room, Feint to break through Protect, or Protect of your own.

I feel Magnezone definitely appreciates some speed investment to outspeed Celesteela consider most are carrying a bit of speed investment. I would say anywhere between 92 EVs and 156 is reasonable if you want to be pretty sure you outspeed most Celesteela. This is pretty important considering your team has no form of speed control.

I'm not sold on Adamant Pheromosa. I haven't seen any calcs that justify the fact that you no longer outspeed Scarf Tapu Lele (which is probably the most common set), or Adamant Scarf Krookodile (a pretty irrelevant benchmark, but I suppose it's something to consider). If there were some benchmarks that you otherwise couldn't hit without running Adamant I'd probably have a different opinion, but I haven't run any calcs.

The same kind of goes for Marowak. I feel most have at least 4 in speed, and without speed control of your own outspeeding them is very valuable. I feel 76 Speed EVs is good to outspeed opposing 68 Speed EV Marowaks that are hoping to outspeed Modest Tapu Lele after tailwind. Any more than that and you start to go a bit overboard in my opinion, though some people have justified running Jolly Marowak so you know, it's up to you.

I feel like Ice Beam isn't all that necessary on Drampa. The only two targets that it really hits in the format, Mence and Chomp, both outspeed you anyway and drop to a LO Dragon Pulse (unless garchomp is AV). I would replace Ice Beam with Protect. As for Energy Ball, I feel Drampa has a decent enough matchup vs Gastrodon as you 2HKO with Dragon Pulse without being 2HKO'd in return with Ice Beam and I feel like Hyper Voice is just a nice spread option that the rest of your team lacks.

So to address the lack of capitalizing on free turns from Fling. I usually lead Weavile/Phera and if the have a lele lead, I can fling the thing that would kill phera while she secures the kill. I do understand that what you are getting at tho, not to mention its 1 time use.

The reason Magnezone isn't more invested into speed is to really make use of the Analytic ability. It's what allows it to ohko koko's and celesteela. It's extremely rare I don't out speed celesteela's, but it just increases my damage if I don't.

As for the adamant Phera, I don't know what else to run because if you run any spe natures, it's beast boosts are to speed which isn't ideal. I guess I've gotten lucky and have't faced to many scarf lele's yet so I'm sure it will become an issue when that occurs more. I don't know what I'll do to address that just yet.

I'll have to look more in to the marowak, I honestly just used the smogon suggested EV's lol.

I personally like having the energy ball on drampa cuz it just ohkos gastrodon, I don't want to leave a turn open where drampa can die before killing it because it can be a real annoyance esp if it's recover. I could see just dropping ice beam for protect seeing as I have milotic ice beam and weavile icicle crash, so dropping it for protect would probably be better.

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you found it interesting and didn't just out right dismiss it.

Why would I outright dismiss it? You haven't used any unviable mons and you've at least put some thought in to team composition. Anyone who outright dismisses a team like that probably make themselves feel better about themselves by putting your team down as opposed to actually trying to improve it. Anyway, on to your comments.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but I still think this is rather situational. If they lead anything other than Tapu Lele + Something that Pheromosa can one shot, then the moveslot and item are useless. The same goes for Energy Ball Drampa, for anything other than Gastrodon you're better off clicking Dragon Pulse for the most part. I just personally try to stray away from things that are so match up dependant unless a) The team really struggles with the threat that the move is on there to beat and/or b) The Pokemon is complete deadweight in the matchup otherwise, and even then you still have to consider what you're giving up.

I hadn't actually noticed Analytic Magnezone. You really do want to change that to Magnet Pull, that's pretty much the main thing that makes Magnezone viable at the moment (other than its great matchup vs the Tapus). Being able to restrict your opponents options in terms of switching Celesteela and potentially other steels like Kartana and Metagross depending on the situation is far more valuable than the extra damage, especially in such a relatively slow meta. And btw, Celesteela has higher base speed, so you shouldn't be outspeeding any Celesteela currently with your Magnezone. Being outsped by Celesteela makes it far more difficult to take out, as it allows them to stall you with substitute + leftovers (and potentially leech seed if they catch you on the switch in), while their partner takes care of Magnezone. Trust me Magnet Pull and relatively speedy Magnezone makes the Celesteela matchup far more bearable.

I don't really consider Pheromosa's Beast Boosts to be all that important. It rarely sticks for all that long, making it harder to abuse the boosts. I'm not too sure how common Scarf Lele is right now, but I know that it was by far the most common set earlier in the format, where almost 1/3 Tapu Lele's were Scarfed, twice as common as the next most common set being Life Orb. Definitely expect to start seeing them at some point.

Fair point, but you'd be surprised how much people are like "isn't meta? must be bad" lol.

So, I do agree that the energy ball is very MU (match up) dependent, but it's a VERY common pick right now that I feel like it's worth, but I def see what you mean.

I tried magnet pull on him and it just didn't feel as strong. The main reason I like analytic is no one really expects it and the dmg is "shocking" so to speak. :P Most people expect Pull which is what I'm trying to avoid is common picks. I'm a very off meta person as much as I can be because the element of surprise is a great thing when people are so conditioned to one way.

I can see where you are coming from with the beast boost approach. I'll have to see if I outspeed a scarf lele with a jolly phera. If not, then I just think adamant is a better bet personally.

So, do you feel like this fits a hyper offensive style or does it fit into something else based on your understanding of it. Also, what could I do to make it more offensive without becoming pure meta picks like Peliper/Z move Golduck?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)